Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dan, if the team tries to sign an RFA to an offer sheet and the player's team declines to match, then yes, the signing team is required to give up the designated draft pick. That doesn't preclude the Niners and Ravens from working out a trade of whatever picks they negotiate for an RFA. So the Niners could theoretically sign Gaither to an offer sheet and sacrifice pick 13 if the Ravens don't match, or the Ravens could instead offer Gaither to SF for pick 17 or for a second and third or for whatever trade terms the two teams could work out.
    The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by binary View Post
      Rumors are swirling that we are looking at Leon Washington for a draft pick. I'm pretty sure it's a 3rd or 4th rounder, a 2nd would be too steep considering what other teams are getting for players.

      I'm down for Washington for a 3rd why not, do it!
      I would be down. Almost would rather them draft Joe McKnight in the third. But its questionable that he would be as good a return man, receiver or even be available in round 3.

      Don't mean to be a bizzy... but, link? :D

      Comment


      • Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
        I would be down. Almost would rather them draft Joe McKnight in the third. But its questionable that he would be as good a return man, receiver or even be available in round 3.

        Don't mean to be a bizzy... but, link? :D
        http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-have-spoken/

        It would actually be a 2nd rounder given up. But if we get Leon Washington, its takes away the need to draft a speed back (one of our big three needs) and a return man. We could use our first two draft picks for DB help and an OLineman.


        Comment


        • Washington would be a good fit and fill essentially 2 needs, but I'm torn on giving up a 2nd for him, mainly due to his injury history. I'd almost rather draft someone like Best in the 2nd, and roll the dice on a younger player that may have more years in his prime left.

          I personally would like to see them prioritize the Gaither situation over Washington right now.


          #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


          "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
            Washington would be a good fit and fill essentially 2 needs, but I'm torn on giving up a 2nd for him, mainly due to his injury history. I'd almost rather draft someone like Best in the 2nd, and roll the dice on a younger player that may have more years in his prime left.

            I personally would like to see them prioritize the Gaither situation over Washington right now.
            one of the biggest knocks on Best is his injury situation. he's taken some mean licks in the past two years and personally, I'm not sure if he could even be in a 2 back system. But, his athleticism and explosiveness ability sure make it hard to pass up on him.


            Comment


            • Originally posted by Borat View Post
              Dan, if the team tries to sign an RFA to an offer sheet and the player's team declines to match, then yes, the signing team is required to give up the designated draft pick. That doesn't preclude the Niners and Ravens from working out a trade of whatever picks they negotiate for an RFA. So the Niners could theoretically sign Gaither to an offer sheet and sacrifice pick 13 if the Ravens don't match, or the Ravens could instead offer Gaither to SF for pick 17 or for a second and third or for whatever trade terms the two teams could work out.
              I know all of this bud but what im saying is that the draft pick has to originally be ours in order to be part of any trade for an RFA. So, even if the Ravens accepted the 17th overall draft pick, the NFL might reject it because the 17th overall draft pick isnt originally ours.

              Comment


              • I would rather try to draft Spiller instead of trading for Washington. A second rounder is too steep for him plus he's injury prone and wants a new deal and he only reason he didnt get it was because he got injured before any new deal was reached.

                And I agree, Gaither should be a bigger priority.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  I know all of this bud but what im saying is that the draft pick has to originally be ours in order to be part of any trade for an RFA. So, even if the Ravens accepted the 17th overall draft pick, the NFL might reject it because the 17th overall draft pick isnt originally ours.
                  What???? Dan, in a trade, it wouldn't matter if the pick was originally the Niners or not, as they own it now and can provide it as compensation to complete a deal. The only scenario where they couldn't use the 17th pick (and would have to use their 13th) is if they signed him to a RFA offer sheet and BAL didn't match it. We're discussing options for the to trade for him, without going through the normal RFA process, just like the Seahawks are trying to do with obtaining Brandon Marshall.


                  #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                  "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                    one of the biggest knocks on Best is his injury situation. he's taken some mean licks in the past two years and personally, I'm not sure if he could even be in a 2 back system. But, his athleticism and explosiveness ability sure make it hard to pass up on him.
                    Yes, Best's injury history is the knock on him. What I'm saying is that I'd rather take a flier on a player like him at this point with the 2nd Round pick instead of giving it up and a big salary to Washington, who is coming off an awful-looking injury, and is apparently looking for more money than the Jets are willing to give him, thus they placed a reasonable 2nd Round tender on him.


                    #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                    "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                    Comment


                    • and Washington is 27

                      Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Madirishman
                        What???? Dan, in a trade, it wouldn't matter if the pick was originally the Niners or not, as they own it now and can provide it as compensation to complete a deal. The only scenario where they couldn't use the 17th pick (and would have to use their 13th) is if they signed him to a RFA offer sheet and BAL didn't match it. We're discussing options for the to trade for him, without going through the normal RFA process, just like the Seahawks are trying to do with obtaining Brandon Marshall.
                        Come on man, im NOT stupid and I know that. What I meant was exactly what you say about signing him to an offer sheet and the Ravens opting not to match it. Thats exactly what I have been saying all along.

                        Sorry but I never thought of actually trying to trade for Gaither in general because I just dont see the point of the Ravens doing that. After all, they tendered him at the first round level and if they really wanted to trade him, they could have just tendered him at a lower level and he most likely would have been signed to an offer sheet already.

                        Bottom line is that I just dont see the point in the Ravens trading away Gaither for anything less than a first rounder. For the Ravens, it makes no sense whatsoever if they do.

                        Comment


                        • Quote:
                          Originally Posted by LizardState

                          Discussion vectors back to areas of greatest need starting with (originally CB) oline in 4, 3, 2, 1 ......
                          Fixed. OL is the biggest need right now, it's not even up for debate.
                          With their 2 1st rd. picks they can get both of those, just don't do anything hairbrained, like trading either/both of them.

                          It's all about scouting & factoring in the intangibles for a cover corner & OLT. A little luck helps also getting an impact rookie. Both are really crucial too, success in the NFL today is focused on pass protection & pass defense. Once those 2 spots are filled, then the focus in 49erland s/b on generating a pass rush

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            Come on man, im NOT stupid and I know that. What I meant was exactly what you say about signing him to an offer sheet and the Ravens opting not to match it. Thats exactly what I have been saying all along.

                            Sorry but I never thought of actually trying to trade for Gaither in general because I just dont see the point of the Ravens doing that. After all, they tendered him at the first round level and if they really wanted to trade him, they could have just tendered him at a lower level and he most likely would have been signed to an offer sheet already.

                            Bottom line is that I just dont see the point in the Ravens trading away Gaither for anything less than a first rounder. For the Ravens, it makes no sense whatsoever if they do.
                            I believe the Ravens may be willing to let him go for a decent value (high draft pick) as they have some depth at the position (with Oher) and could fill other needs. They don't want to get rid of him, so that is why they tendered him as a 1st, but they also may be willing to let him go, and may accept a trade or they may not match a RFA offer from another team and take the pick. Tendering him at a lower level wouldn't give them the opportunity to receive the compensation they feel is appropriate for him.

                            BAL still getting the #17 pick from SF or other compensation for Gaither is a possibility, as signing him to a RFA contract and giving up #13 is not Frisco's only option, nor is it their best option. I don't think they'll pull the trigger on a deal for Gaither for that kind of price until Draft Day, seeing what falls to them and then deciding at that point.


                            #thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done


                            "He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

                            Comment


                            • Damn I wish we could bring in Sharper. Call me crazy but him and Goldson back there would be money.


                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                                Damn I wish we could bring in Sharper. Call me crazy but him and Goldson back there would be money.
                                Not down for that. Maybe if we cut Lewis.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information