Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I watched ESPN Draft Preview for all 32 teams on Comcast OnDemand yesterday with the Tirico/Dilfer/Mortensen/Kiper panel & paid special attn. to the 9ers analysis.

They showed great faith in Player Personnel Director Trent Baalke taking over from McCloghan, calling him "one of the best in the League," but ESPN always emphasizes the positive & never disparages any front office executive unless he commits a felony or gets caught in bed with a live man or a dead woman. I think Baalke working with Jed York will be the tandem calling the draft shots & they'll be OK.

They said Clements has declined considerably these last 2 yrs. so CB is the primary team need on draft day, & I agree with that, benching on Wk. 8 then the shoulder blade fracture dropped him from the ranks of the elite corners in the NFL. So that puts the 9ers squarely at the top of the list of bidders in the Joe Haden sweepstakes, & at #13 they're in the that p/o the 1st rd. where team needs tend to trump the BPA approach.

Kiper said they have to take Spiller too, probably in the 1st rd. at #17, but I think he's echoing the consensus of the punditry with this assumption b/c that's what it is. Spiller's rising on many draft boards, & couple that with the popularity of gamebreaking KRs in recent drafts b/c everybody is looking for that Next Devin Hester, he probably won't last that long IMO.

I think OL is a greater need at 17 -- I think that's the consensus on this thread anyway looking at recent posts. The panel called Snyder a stopgap tackle (at either one actually), & a true LT is required, Trent Williams can play either tackle spot & has center experience too, so he would be ideal, but may be long gone even by pick 13.

Call we crazy but I say take Trent Williams at 13 if he's there, if Singletary goes apeshit & demands a corner or other defensive player, stifle him. Lock him in a closet or whatever, the team has already been down that road of a HC who's all about defense & didnt know jack **** about offense with Nolan. This offense needs OL help in a major way, & the injuries last yr. that drove the OL patchwork, the benching last 2 yrs & the epic fail in Chilo Rachal's 1st starts confirmed it. They need the versatility of a Trent Williams if they have to reshuffle again, as well as a solid LT who can pass protect.

That might mean missing on Haden, but the downside on him worries me -- he is said to not have much of a head for the passing game which is unusual for a HS QB as he was, & needs coaching with the basic fundamentals per the PFW Draft mag. That's a big knock IMO, let some other team take him & teach him how to play corner in the NFL. Better sticking with Tarell Brown or Shawtae Spencer if they have to.

Go with OL & Spiller in the 1st rd. then at #47 overall in the 2nd take Devin McCourty from Rutgers, a CB who is a fast riser on most boards now largely due his scorching 40 time from the Combine. He could be the nickelback his rookie yr. or sub for Bly or Clements if they are injured. All 3 of those s/b impact rookies who can start & contribute immediately.

How do they screw it up? By falling for a trade for one of those 2 1st rounders, or go for a project on the OL (Ducasse, Bruce Campbell) who has a dark cloud of NFL Bust hovering over him. This draft s/b a slam dunk for them, just stick to the team needs & they're improving the OL, the return game with Spiller, & the secondary & they're fine.
    Last edited by LizardState; 04-13-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
      OK, I watched ESPN Draft Preview for all 32 teams on Comcast OnDemand yesterday with the Tirico/Dilfer/Mortensen/Kiper panel & paid special attn. to the 9ers analysis.

They showed great faith in Player Personnel Director Trent Baalke taking over from McCloghan, calling him "one of the best in the League," but ESPN always emphasizes the positive & never disparages any front office executive unless he commits a felony or gets caught in bed with a live man or a dead woman. I think Baalke working with Jed York will be the tandem calling the draft shots & they'll be OK.

They said Clements has declined considerably these last 2 yrs. so CB is the primary team need on draft day, & I agree with that, benching on Wk. 8 then the shoulder blade fracture dropped him from the ranks of the elite corners in the NFL. So that puts the 9ers squarely at the top of the list of bidders in the Joe Haden sweepstakes, & at #13 they're in the that p/o the 1st rd. where team needs tend to trump the BPA approach.

Kiper said they have to take Spiller too, probably in the 1st rd. at #17, but I think he's echoing the consensus of the punditry with this assumption b/c that's what it is. Spiller's rising on many draft boards, & couple that with the popularity of gamebreaking KRs in recent drafts b/c everybody is looking for that Next Devin Hester, he probably won't last that long IMO.

I think OL is a greater need at 17 -- I think that's the consensus on this thread anyway looking at recent posts. The panel called Snyder a stopgap tackle (at either one actually), & a true LT is required, Trent Williams can play either tackle spot & has center experience too, so he would be ideal, but may be long gone even by pick 13.

Call we crazy but I say take Trent Williams at 13 if he's there, if Singletary goes apeshit & demands a corner or other defensive player, stifle him. Lock him in a closet or whatever, the team has already been down that road of a HC who's all about defense & didnt know jack **** about offense with Nolan. This offense needs OL help in a major way, & the injuries last yr. that drove the OL patchwork, the benching last 2 yrs & the epic fail in Chilo Rachal's 1st starts confirmed it. They need the versatility of a Trent Williams if they have to reshuffle again, as well as a solid LT who can pass protect.

That might mean missing on Haden, but the downside on him worries me -- he is said to not have much of a head for the passing game which is unusual for a HS QB as he was, & needs coaching with the basic fundamentals per the PFW Draft mag. That's a big knock IMO, let some other team take him & teach him how to play corner in the NFL. Better sticking with Tarell Brown or Shawtae Spencer if they have to.

Go with OL & Spiller in the 1st rd. then at #47 overall in the 2nd take Devin McCourty from Rutgers, a CB who is a fast riser on most boards now largely due his scorching 40 time from the Combine. He could be the nickelback his rookie yr. or sub for Bly or Clements if they are injured. All 3 of those s/b impact rookies who can start & contribute immediately.

How do they screw it up? By falling for a trade for one of those 2 1st rounders, or go for a project on the OL (Ducasse, Bruce Campbell) who has a dark cloud of NFL Bust hovering over him. This draft s/b a slam dunk for them, just stick to the team needs & they're improving the OL, the return game with Spiller, & the secondary & they're fine.
      I think I saw that segement. What Kiper said I mostly agreed with. I don't believed they touched upon the need of having a pass rusher though. We had a boatload of sacks last year, but still don't have that one player with a knack for getting a lot of them himself. I'm hoping that later in the draft, perhaps as early as the second round, we highly consider taking someone that can assist us in that area.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Gotta take a OT at #13 if he's there, it's the one position that has NOBODY right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
          We had a boatload of sacks last year, but still don't have that one player with a knack for getting a lot of them himself. I'm hoping that later in the draft, perhaps as early as the second round, we highly consider taking someone that can assist us in that area.
          Why? Why is it an issue that our sacks weren't all collected by one player? I personally think its better to blitz different players every down so the offense cant just focus on taking one "sack artist" out of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
            Why? Why is it an issue that our sacks weren't all collected by one player? I personally think its better to blitz different players every down so the offense cant just focus on taking one "sack artist" out of the game.
            Are you serious? Why? Because if you can get there consistently with 4, it makes the passing game infinitely more difficult. If you can get there with 4 AND the other team has to double team a guy, it makes your blitzes infinitely more effective. It's pretty simple really. Not having to scheme to create pressure is a very, very valuable characteristic.

Comment

• Would anyone have a problem with acquiring Ted Ginn Jr for around a 5th rounder? I think the 9ers should do it. In case they don't land Spiller, that solves the kick returner issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                Would anyone have a problem with acquiring Ted Ginn Jr for around a 5th rounder? I think the 9ers should do it. In case they don't land Spiller, that solves the kick returner issues.
                The only thing that clouds the decision up is his contract. If it's outrageous (which I think it might be, he was picked #9 or something) then I might have to pass unless he wants to restructure. Because there's no way i would want to pay #9 money to a WR who can't catch. Return skills be damned.

I also think if Santonio's trade is considered fair value, that we'd be getting hosed trading for Ginn for the same price. Because let's face it, he's nowhere near Santonio.
                Originally posted by Babylon
                It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Holmes was available for the 5th Round because of his off the field issues (and him having to miss at least 1/4 of the upcoming season already. Ginn is the DHB of his draft; a fast guy with bad hands that was overdrafted. A 5th for him could still be a good value.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                    The panel called Snyder a stopgap tackle (at either one actually), & a true LT is required, Trent Williams can play either tackle spot & has center experience too, so he would be ideal, but may be long gone even by pick 13
                    Am I missing something? Why do "analysts" keep talking about an LT? Did I miss a season where Staley sucked it up at LT?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      Am I missing something? Why do "analysts" keep talking about an LT? Did I miss a season where Staley sucked it up at LT?
                      Nope. Between Staley being taken late in the First Round (not much pre-draft hype) him being injured part of last year and him being a converted TE from a small school, he doesn't get much credit. These analysts must be assuming that Staley is our best OT and that's the ONLY reason why he's playing LT, and that if the Niners draft any OT, it should be a LT, with Staley moving back to RT, where he started as a rookie. That's the only (lame) logic I can find in their reasoning.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• I would give up a 5th for Ginn but it also depends on his contract. He's already played three seasons so maybe his contract isnt bad but that would be the main factor. Not the late round draft pick.

Comment

• Ginn would be much more pricey than he's worth. Besides, despite his speed, he hasn't even been returning many punts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                            Nope. Between Staley being taken late in the First Round (not much pre-draft hype) him being injured part of last year and him being a converted TE from a small school, he doesn't get much credit. These analysts must be assuming that Staley is our best OT and that's the ONLY reason why he's playing LT, and that if the Niners draft any OT, it should be a LT, with Staley moving back to RT, where he started as a rookie. That's the only (lame) logic I can find in their reasoning.
                            I don't remember any insinuation that looked unfavorable towards Staley.

With that said, many "experts" are saying LT because teams simply don't draft a RT as highly as most 49er fans want them to do this year. If you draft an elite OT prospect in the top-20, public perception as well as his agents will be that the player is an NFL LT.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
                              Well you want to have consistency. We had a lot of sacks last season, but at the same time we played in a terrible division and the only game where we truly dominated a legitimate opponent was when we played the Colts. But when we faced the Eagles and someone like Donovan McNabb, our inability to sack that man was evident. Having a threat on defense, someone that will always give you a decent chance to get a sack is very comforting. It will make our defense a lot more dynamic.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                              Originally posted by Borat
                              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Tim Kawakami says Clausen is the pick, if he is still left, at 13:
                                http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...3A+kawakami-me
                                Mike Mayock also said he wouldn't slid past SF. Still split on if I would want Clausen in red and gold.
                                On PFT they are saying the Eagles are looking to move up for a safety:
                                http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-a-safety/
                                Wouldn't mind swapping firsts and acquiring an extra pick/s.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information