This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by binary View Post
    Baas is at worst pretty good depth, I hope we keep him around. Rachal is just, pretty bad. Rachal has to man up big time. Either way, keep both for depth.
    Chilo Rachal is actually good when he's not being a *****. Unfortunately for us, he's a ***** more often than not.

Comment

• Baas is the odd man out as he has barely maintained a starting job and is only signed for one more year. He'll provide great depth and maybe a trade piece. Iupati will take his place and they will give Chilo another year with Solari and Brown to see if they can salvage his starting job and get hm to start reaching his potential.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• So, this doesn't deserve it's own thread, and I think this is the one where it best fits: Matt Maiocco is leaving the Press Democrat, and will not be blogging on the 49ers anymore.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...-11-years.html
        Originally posted by Babylon
        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
          So, this doesn't deserve it's own thread, and I think this is the one where it best fits: Matt Maiocco is leaving the Press Democrat, and will not be blogging on the 49ers anymore.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...-11-years.html
          Yeah I read that earlier. I'm a bit crushed. I like to read Barrows and find his speculation more entertaining than Maiocco, but as a journalism student I was always really impressed with Maiocco's impartiality and journalistic integrity, not to mention the fact that he broke a lot stories over the years. This is a huge loss to our community and I hope to have the pleasure of reading Matt's work again in the future.

Comment

• So I think the 49ers' biggest issue now is CB. The line has been overhauled and could be set for the next 10 years. Here are the current CB's, including UDFA's so this is subject to change in the lieu of Blount's flake-out :D

Nate Clements: Getting older. Has he lot a step? Why was he benched last year? I think this is his last year here.

Shawntae Spencer: Played very well last year and is a bit underrated. Can't just assume can play through the whole season though.

Terrell Brown: It's clear they will rely on him more this year. Hoping Brown will take a step forward.

Karl Paymah: Read a report saying the Niners think Paymah can be their NB this year. I vomited a little bit.

Keith Smith: Smith was alright last year. I think I am a bit prejudice against players the Lions release though.

Phillip Adams: This pick was straight out of left field. I know nothing about him.

Patrick Stoudamire: I liked Stoudamire as a small school sleeper. He has decent size and is fast. I think he competes for a roster spot.

Tramaine Brock: Never heard of him and haven't found a lot either.

I think 3 of those players are gauranteed roster spots this ear. Paymah and Smith could easily be cut, as Smith is decent at best and doesn't have a lot of potential and Paymah is essentially Marcus Hudson. Free agent?

FA’s:
            Will James: Lions let him go, and he is apparently close to signing with the Bears.
            Fred Smoot: Never has tackled well, doubt they sign him, but he might be one of the BPA.
            Anthony Henry: Same story as James
            Ken Lucas: Played BAD last year.
            Pacman Jones: I believe we’ve already talked about this guy. Wouldn’t be shocked if they still grabbed him
            Dre Bly: I think they should bring him back.
            Walt Harris: Is he done? Not according to him.
            Deshea Townsend: I think this is possible.

There are more but clearly they wouldn’t be better than a 4th CB for a year or two.

What do you guys think they will/should do?

I would like to see a free agent bought in as the 4th and maybe see a younger guy as the 5th CB. They might even keep 6.

1. Clements
            2. Spender
            3. Brown
            4. Bly/Jones
            5. Adams/Stoudamire

Comment

• They should definitely bring Bly back now. Did they forget that he basically started a bunch of games last year and did rather well? Imagine Paymah in that situation, ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
                So I think the 49ers' biggest issue now is CB. The line has been overhauled and could be set for the next 10 years. Here are the current CB's, including UDFA's so this is subject to change in the lieu of Blount's flake-out :D

Nate Clements: Getting older. Has he lot a step? Why was he benched last year? I think this is his last year here.

Shawntae Spencer: Played very well last year and is a bit underrated. Can't just assume can play through the whole season though.

Terrell Brown: It's clear they will rely on him more this year. Hoping Brown will take a step forward.

Karl Paymah: Read a report saying the Niners think Paymah can be their NB this year. I vomited a little bit.

Keith Smith: Smith was alright last year. I think I am a bit prejudice against players the Lions release though.

Phillip Adams: This pick was straight out of left field. I know nothing about him.

Patrick Stoudamire: I liked Stoudamire as a small school sleeper. He has decent size and is fast. I think he competes for a roster spot.

Tramaine Brock: Never heard of him and haven't found a lot either.

I think 3 of those players are gauranteed roster spots this ear. Paymah and Smith could easily be cut, as Smith is decent at best and doesn't have a lot of potential and Paymah is essentially Marcus Hudson. Free agent?

FA’s:
                Will James: Lions let him go, and he is apparently close to signing with the Bears.
                Fred Smoot: Never has tackled well, doubt they sign him, but he might be one of the BPA.
                Anthony Henry: Same story as James
                Ken Lucas: Played BAD last year.
                Pacman Jones: I believe we’ve already talked about this guy. Wouldn’t be shocked if they still grabbed him
                Dre Bly: I think they should bring him back.
                Walt Harris: Is he done? Not according to him.

There are more but clearly they wouldn’t be better than a 4th CB for a year or two.

What do you guys think they will/should do?

I would like to see a free agent bought in as the 4th and maybe see a younger guy as the 5th CB. They might even keep 6.

1. Clements
                2. Spender
                3. Brown
                4. Bly/Jones
                5. Adams/Stoudamire
                I honestly dont know why NO ONE is taking a hard look at Danieal Manning of the Bears. Can back-up FS and be your nickel or dimeback. Blazing speed and can also back-up KR/PR. I haven't read anything about the Bears re-signing so as far as I know he's still a FA. He just makes too much sense to me.....

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                  They should definitely bring Bly back now. Did they forget that he basically started a bunch of games last year and did rather well? Imagine Paymah in that situation, ugh.
                  I'm guessing it's due to a "youth movement"? Regardless, I think Bly should be brought back as well. He played great for us last season even when his limited role expanded.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                  -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                  Originally posted by Borat
                  Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by VAfy-ya View Post
                    I honestly dont know why NO ONE is taking a hard look at Danieal Manning of the Bears. Can back-up FS and be your nickel or dimeback. Blazing speed and can also back-up KR/PR. I haven't read anything about the Bears re-signing so as far as I know he's still a FA. He just makes too much sense to me.....
                    I brought him up as a possibility about a month ago. People didn't like him as a starter, but i think he would be great for depth purposes. We would have to have given up a 3rd rounder for him. I would rather bring in a pure CB than a versatile DB. That's where the need is.

Comment

• Originally posted by thediggler3030 View Post
                      I brought him up as a possibility about a month ago. People didn't like him as a starter, but i think he would be great for depth purposes. We would have to have given up a 3rd rounder for him. I would rather bring in a pure CB than a versatile DB. That's where the need is.
                      Not necessarily true....

Other considerations to keep in mind - the 49ers don't have a cornerback-driven defense. They rarely play man, and Dashon Goldson's range at free safety allows the corners to play the short zones more often. This defense is fashioned after the Ravens scheme, which highlights the free safety, not so much the corners. That said, the 49ers simply need bodies at the position. Of course, the more talented those bodies are, the more flexibility coordinator Greg Manusky will have to dial up blitzes. Also, McCloughan comes from the Ron Wolf school of wanting big cornerbacks who can tackle. If a corner is less than 5-10 in height, McCloughan isn't interested unless they have huge talent.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...5&auth=32&o=40

Comment

• Anthony Henry: Same story as James
                        All used up, over & done. He had that spectacular rookie yr. with the Browns with 11 INTs, signed a big FA contract with & started in Dallas where he underwhelmed & was moved to safety where he was worse.

He's from Milpitas here in the Bay Area, wants to come home & finish his career. He has some mileage left & was an effective KR in his AFC West gigs.

I think they will have to rely mostly on Tarell Brown & hope like hell Spencer's recovery from his year ago surgery allows him to have more playing time. Other than Clements Spencer is the most experienced

Comment

• We're in good CB shape compared to the Cardinals right now.

Their number one corner DRC is still recovering from surgeries to repair tibia damage and a MCL tear which could cost him miss the start of next season. They traded their number two corner Bryant McFadden to the Steelers during the draft. Also their incoming number 2 corner Greg Toler got absolutely roasted in the playoffs.
                          Last edited by Larry; 04-27-2010, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• none of that i true but you can always wish :)

DRC is already working out and Toler was amazing in the playoffs, mcfadden was going to be cut and he was picked on constantly

Rodgers-Cromartie lost the weight while rehabbing from minor knee surgery. He'll be 100% for camp.
                            http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=nfl&id=4715
                            Last edited by fenikz; 04-27-2010, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• I watched both those playoffs games and Toler was horrible. He caused a fumble against Rodgers in OT, but he was constantly picked on in coverage.

Even if DRC is ready for camp, there is no guarantee you'll be getting the pro bowl caliber DRC back coming off significant tibia and MCL damages.

Comment

• even a ACL tear isn't a big deal these days, MCL is a far lesser degree and as long as there aren't any complication with the break bones, heal stronger than before

go rewatch your tape, McFadden & Adams were being picked on, Toler and DRC were being avoided

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information