Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ravens just signed Walt Harris. I'm curious to see if he has anything left in the tank.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
      The Ravens just signed Walt Harris. I'm curious to see if he has anything left in the tank.
      Me as well. It's interesting that once he came to the 49ers, he played pretty decent whereas he was mostly inconsistent through his entire career before. I really enjoyed his tenure here and was never worried too much no matter who he had to cover. I hope he has a good stay in Baltimore. I think both of their starting corners are coming back from knee surgery, so they definitely need help.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
        Me as well. It's interesting that once he came to the 49ers, he played pretty decent whereas he was mostly inconsistent through his entire career before. I really enjoyed his tenure here and was never worried too much no matter who he had to cover. I hope he has a good stay in Baltimore. I think both of their starting corners are coming back from knee surgery, so they definitely need help.
        Yeah, they can use the depth and I believe that is what he'll provide. He must have shown something in his workouts to demonstrate his rehab went well.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Reading this recent article from Maiocco, it really reminded me how short we are in terms of depth with our corners. At least I think so. I like our starters Spencer and Celements, and I feel that Brown makes a good nickelback, but after that it's pretty much dry:

The 49ers entered the offseason thin at cornerback, and the organization was not the least-bit aggressive in bolstering that position.

The 49ers added just two veterans with one-year contracts: Karl Paymah, who never started more than three games in any of his five NFL seasons, and Will James, a nine-year veteran who joins his fourth team in four years.

Paymah is a player coach Mike Sinlgetary described as someone with a lot of potential but has yet to put it together. Paymah struggled during the 49ers' offseason program. James did not see any practice time as he recovers from an injury. He should be 100 percent for the opening of training camp.

Four small-school rookies were added to the mix: seventh-round draft pick Phillip Adams (South Carolina State), Patrick Stoudamire (Western Illinois), Tramaine Brock (Belhaven) and LeRoy Vann (Florida A&M). It's highly doubtful any of those players will be in a position to contribute this season.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/25/10/M...58&feedID=5936

We better hope that Spencer, Clements, and Brown not only play lights out but aren't hampered by injuries the majority of the season. I still don't get why we let go of Bly. He was pretty decent here. Yeah I know he screwed up with his showboating incident, but I don't think that warranted getting cut at all.

Comment

• Either way, I believe this is Clements' last season as a Niner. They'd think twice if he actually made the Pro Bowl, but I don't see that happening. I hope T Brown (who Sing seems to mention a lot) takes another step this year to be coming a bad ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
              Reading this recent article from Maiocco, it really reminded me how short we are in terms of depth with our corners. At least I think so. I like our starters Spencer and Celements, and I feel that Brown makes a good nickelback, but after that it's pretty much dry:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/25/10/M...58&feedID=5936

We better hope that Spencer, Clements, and Brown not only play lights out but aren't hampered by injuries the majority of the season. I still don't get why we let go of Bly. He was pretty decent here. Yeah I know he screwed up with his showboating incident, but I don't think that warranted getting cut at all.
              I just read that article a few minutes ago and I agree with you in regards to us being thin at CB. The top three are good but if any of them get injured, we're screwed. I do think that James will be our dimeback and Paymah will be 5th and Adams will be 6th. As for Bly, he was solid but that showboating incident was bad because he isnt some rookie. He's a ten year or so veteran and should know better plus him doing that isnt a good influence on the younger guys. I would offer him the veteran minimum to come back but thats it.

Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              Either way, I believe this is Clements' last season as a Niner. They'd think twice if he actually made the Pro Bowl, but I don't see that happening. I hope T Brown (who Sing seems to mention a lot) takes another step this year to be coming a bad ass.
              I agree with you in regards to it being Clements final season as a 49er. I'm really hoping for Panthers CB Richard Marshall next off-season as I doubt that the Panthers sign him long term and I seriously doubt that they'll franchise him.

CB should be our number one priority in next year's draft and if Clements is let go and we dont sign Marshall (or another young starting CB), then I would hope that they go for a CB in the first AND second round because like I have said before, CB is our next weak spot and it needs to be adressed sooner rather than later.

I would love to trade for Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha or even Eagles CB Asante Samuel but money wise, neither will ever happen.

Comment

• Still don't understand why we didn't resign Bly, dumb move IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                  Still don't understand why we didn't resign Bly, dumb move IMO.
                  I'm going to guess that they didnt like his attitude.

It seemed like Phillip Adams was mentioned a bunch in all the OTA coverage. Here's hoping that positive mentioning continues into camp; we could use a draft steal at corner.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• A few days old but with the Rams re-signing Atogwe, im hoping that we can extend Goldson sooner rather than later. I was really hoping that we would have signed Atogwe or at the very least bring him in for a visit because im concerned about a year from now. If Goldson leaves and we release Lewis by then, we'll be going into 2011 with a second year player in Mays along with special teamers Smith and Taylor which isnt a good thing.

Does anyone know the progress of extending Davis? Didnt he say that he wanted $40m over five years? If so, he should have been extended already and we should already be talking with Goldson about an extension.

As for Lawson, if the Niners arent planning on keeping him after 2010, mine as well try to trade him for a third rounder or a player who could help us and start Haralson and Brooks. Maybe to the Bills or Raiders. Hey, Al Davis, I'll give you Lawson for Asomugha. What? You dont think thats a fair deal and will give us your 2011 third rounder as well. Awesome. Hahahaha.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      A few days old but with the Rams re-signing Atogwe, im hoping that we can extend Goldson sooner rather than later. I was really hoping that we would have signed Atogwe or at the very least bring him in for a visit because im concerned about a year from now. If Goldson leaves and we release Lewis by then, we'll be going into 2011 with a second year player in Mays along with special teamers Smith and Taylor which isnt a good thing.

Does anyone know the progress of extending Davis? Didnt he say that he wanted $40m over five years? If so, he should have been extended already and we should already be talking with Goldson about an extension.

As for Lawson, if the Niners arent planning on keeping him after 2010, mine as well try to trade him for a third rounder or a player who could help us and start Haralson and Brooks. Maybe to the Bills or Raiders. Hey, Al Davis, I'll give you Lawson for Asomugha. What? You dont think thats a fair deal and will give us your 2011 third rounder as well. Awesome. Hahahaha.
                      I had a dream scenario of having Goldson as our strong safety and bringing in Atogwe to play more of a free safety role. But I suppose he became a free agent after the draft right? By then it looks like the coaches already had their plans set. It would have been a little crowded with Michael Lewis, Curtis Taylor, Reggie Smith, Dashon Goldson, and Taylor Mays. And it's really hard to argue against with what the coaches are doing too. I could see from the standpoint that they may want to build consistency with the people they have and give the young players an opportunity to prove themselves (wish that logic translated to the wide receivers).

Let's not forget though that Goldson had a decent year last season, but it was just that...decent. Honestly he seems more like a strong safety than a free safety. He's probably looking for a massive deal and I really wouldn't want the 49ers to break the bank yet seeing as he's really not an established player in the NFL yet. And from the reports he hasn't been making the buzz he was last offseason in camp. I know training camp hasn't started yet, but I'm just saying. We need to get Vernon Davis extended though. I think he's proved his worth.

As for Manny Lawson, I suppose we could trade him. Like I mentioned earlier I really don't see him as a hot commodity and don't think he ever will be...at least in a 3-4. But the good thing is that he knows the system and is a decent OLB for us. Even if he has a good year, he'll probably want to bounce. And if he has a poor one we're most likely not going to retain him anyways. I doubt we can get anything better than a 4th round selection for him at this point. He knows the system and this is a vital year for us...might as well keep him.

Comment

• I'm not worried about losing Goldson at all. He had a couple superb, unbelievable games, a bunch of average ones, and a bunch of terrible ones. He has to improve significantly IMO. I'm not worried about the Safety situation much.

Comment

• I would prioritize other re-signings over Goldson at this point. He needs to put more in tape through this season, especially with his rumored desired salary. I say lock VD up next and take the wait and see approach with the young Safeties they have (Goldson, Mays, Smith, Taylor) to see who is worth the money. I think that Smith still has a chance to be very good.

Comment

• I dunno.. I think Goldson is 2nd priority under VD. Dude is a flat out baller getting 90+ tackles as a safety and 7 turnovers. We haven't had a safety like that in a long time and we need to recognize his value early.

Comment

• I agree about recognizing Dashon's value, but his negative plays/blown coverages have to factor in too. Wouldn't mind playing him at SS either.

I would be alright with either of these combos after this upcoming season, FS Reggie Smith/SS Dashon Goldson, Reggie Smith/SS Taylor Mays, or Goldson/Mays. I've always liked Smith. Just seems he can't stay healthy enough early to get the practice reps to earn him game time. Maybe with Mark Roman gone that will change.

Comment

• Well, the safety position (like all the positions) in Manusky's defense is supposed to mirror it's counterpart. Ideally, all responsibilities are the same but one is the left side the other is the right side.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information