This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Madirishman
    He has apparent NT size but comes with a lot of baggage. He flunked out of school basically so I'm wondering what his football IQ is. Could he learn the intricacies necessary to play NT in a 3-4? He also did only 21 bench reps so either he has very long arms or he has playing strength more than gym strength as that kind of strength wouldn't cut it for an NFL NT.

I don't know much about this guy but he's projected as a 4th Round Supplemental pick. Is that too high of a gamble to give him a roster and have him learning to play NT behind Franklin and Jean-Francois? I think that if he has great potential at NT, then it could be a good move, as Sing has yet another guy that he could try to save in Price-Brent (DUI arrest, horrible grades).

I remember that Brooks was a supplemental pick that the Niners wanted in the 4th and the Bengals grabbed him in the 3rd. At least they got him eventually on the cheap. :)
    From what I read, it appears that he's projected as a 6th or even 7th round pick but taking into account that other teams are thinking the same, some team will go higher in order to take a chance on him. I wouldnt mind giving up a 5th rounder next year for him and see how he does behind Franklin in 2010 especially if Balmer stays at DE.

And I didnt want Brooks years ago but I really wanted Gaither especially now as he's arguably one of the best young franchise RT's in the league. If the Ravens were smart, they would keep him and Oher together for as long as they have Flacco. Two franchise OT's with a franchise QB (and RB). Have to admit thats pretty damn good.
    Last edited by dan77733; 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      Who in the blue hell is Ryan Williams?
      I googled him up, he's a RB at Virginia Tech, the 9ers havent drafted him yet :). Getting just a little ahead of himself there. Williams is the #5-ranked RB in the country per Phil Steele's College FB 2010 mag.

maybe he's thinking of Fresno St. RB Ryan Matthews, top pick of the Bolts last April.

Comment

• Nah hes thinking about Ryan Williams. and No, Williams is a beast but we dont need him.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
          Nah hes thinking about Ryan Williams. and No, Williams is a beast but we dont need him.
          And Anthony Dixon may be big but he's NOT a fullback.

If the 49ers want another top-ranked RB it will mean the end of Frank Gore which won't be till his contract is up in 2012. If that were the case they could look at Trent Richardson but they're not going to use a 1st round pick NEXT year on a RB.

As for the Supplemental Draft...

One thing a 3-4 NT needs is brute strength. I don't see that kind of strength in Joshua Price-Brent. His bench reps at his workout seem to magnify that. You couple those concerns with his obvious off-field concerns and I'd pass.

I am intrigued by Truman State FB Vanness Emokpae, however. The 49ers have lacked an explosive FB option since the days of William Floyd. Brit Miller gave us a glimpse of that last Preseason but Emokpae is an athletic freak compared to Miller and isn't a complete positional project like Miller.

Emokpae is HUGE, 5'11" 242lbs, and has experience at RB, FB, WR, and even QB at Truman State. If he has any consistent blocking ability AT ALL, I'd love to use a late-round pick on him and at worst throw him on PS for 2011.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
            One thing a 3-4 NT needs is brute strength. I don't see that kind of strength in Joshua Price-Brent. His bench reps at his workout seem to magnify that. You couple those concerns with his obvious off-field concerns and I'd pass
            His squat, deadlift, and power clean numbers would all be more relevant to his on-field strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
              The 49ers have lacked an explosive FB option since the days of William Floyd.
              Don't forget about Fred Beasley.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Originally posted by Borat
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac
                I am intrigued by Truman State FB Vanness Emokpae, however. The 49ers have lacked an explosive FB option since the days of William Floyd. Brit Miller gave us a glimpse of that last Preseason but Emokpae is an athletic freak compared to Miller and isn't a complete positional project like Miller.

Emokpae is HUGE, 5'11" 242lbs, and has experience at RB, FB, WR, and even QB at Truman State. If he has any consistent blocking ability AT ALL, I'd love to use a late-round pick on him and at worst throw him on PS for 2011.
                What round would you give up in 2011 for Emokpae?

Comment

• 6th or 7th. Unga is pretty much the only guy that is worth a 5th rounder or higher.

Comment

• Prince Amukamara could be the best for the 49ER's. They don't have that many needs. What do you guy's think about QB if Smith does not do good this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                      His squat, deadlift, and power clean numbers would all be more relevant to his on-field strength.
                      His inability to display tremendous strength ON THE FIELD is what's most relevent. I feel he has been very inconsistent in that area.

Comment

• TOUCHDOWN, Eric Johnson!!!!

Sorry, thought I'd lighten it up a bit.

Comment

• Poor Eric Johnson. Going where Tono Romo has already been. Yikes.

And Carrie Underwood > Jessica Simpson.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyz View Post
                            Prince Amukamara could be the best for the 49ER's. They don't have that many needs. What do you guy's think about QB if Smith does not do good this year.
                            Ryan Malletzzzzz

Comment

• Touchdown? That shouldn't even be an extra point for Eric Johnson. Didn't he go to Yale? A millionaire football player that went to Yale, and you end up with a run down, airhead, attention-***** like Jessica Simpson. I think he could do a lottt better. I mean dude went to freaking Yale, Jessica Simpson probably can't even spell Yale.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                                Ryan Malletzzzzz
                                more like...

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information