• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    more like...

We have enough WRs hahahaha jkjk

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
      more like...

nah, I'll definitely pass on that. I like Ponder though; seems like he could be ready to go pretty quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
        nah, I'll definitely pass on that. I like Ponder though; seems like he could be ready to go pretty quickly.
        I'm not too sure about Ponder. Maybe its my bias against Florida State and Miami regarding drafting QBs

Comment

Yeah I like Ponder a lot. I just said Jerrod 'cause I'm an A&M grad.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
            I'm not too sure about Ponder. Maybe its my bias against Florida State and Miami regarding drafting QBs

I'm the same way, but Ponder is pretty solid from what I can tell. He's a great leader and he has an epic amount of heart/will. I think if Alex fails, we'll realize that this team is ready to go RIGHT NOW talentwise, and seek a QB that could step in and not be a developmental project...IMO, that's Ponder. I don't think we'll be picking early enough for Mallett or God.

My biggest concern if we bring in a rookie QB, is the people/system we have in place. I'm really not down for a youngster to learn under Sing and Raye's guidance and philosophy, not down for that at all. Jed has to seriously consider that ( I love Gruden).

Please do well Alex, pleeeeease.

Comment

I'm the same way, but Ponder is pretty solid from what I can tell. He's a great leader and he has an epic amount of heart/will. I think if Alex fails, we'll realize that this team is ready to go RIGHT NOW talentwise, and seek a QB that could step in and not be a developmental project...IMO, that's Ponder. I don't think we'll be picking early enough for Mallett or God.

My biggest concern if we bring in a rookie QB, is the people/system we have in place. I'm really not down for a youngster to learn under Sing and Raye's guidance and philosophy, not down for that at all. Jed has to seriously consider that ( I love Gruden).

Please do well Alex, pleeeeease.
              All these articles have me very confident about this season regarding Alex Smith. But then again, everyone looks good in shorts.

Comment

• http://bayarea.sbnation.com/2010/7/1...mith-pass-rush

Good read about our pass rush

Comment

• Here is an intriguing prospect. In regards to Alex Smith, how high do you think his ceiling can be assuming he reaches his full potential? I don't think he'll ever become an A+ quarterback such as a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. We probably would have seen flashes at this point. Smith comes off as a player who in my mind is really going to have to work hard and practice just to get to a decent level of play in the NFL.

I think if he does reach his full potential, he can be a B+ type of quarterback while maybe having that one or two good A- seasons. So while he might not be in the likes of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, I wouldn't be surprised if he rises to the level of a Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer or Mark Brunell level. And with that level of play we'd at least be in the playoffs and maybe have a shot at getting to the big game. I think all the pieces are in place. I know we may have issues at corner or our pass rush may not be in question, but even if we had the play of a Kyle Orton or maybe even David Garrard, we'd definitely be in the post season this year.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                  -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                  Originally posted by Borat
                  Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                    See................and people here think Lawson sucks or something. We only sent 5 or more pass rushers 30.5% of the time while the Jets sent 5 or more pass rushers 57.2% of the time. Thats almost half as much as the Jets and we still finished third with 44 sacks and had 12 more sacks than the Jets. Basically, we sent only four pass rushers 69.5% of the time. I have said it before and I'll say it again, we dont need to take a chance on a pass rusher in the first round when we could just keep who we currently have and use that draft pick on a much bigger need - CB.

That article just makes me want to keep Lawson even more than I did before.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      See................and people here think Lawson sucks or something. We only sent 5 or more pass rushers 30.5% of the time while the Jets sent 5 or more pass rushers 57.2% of the time. Thats almost half as much as the Jets and we still finished third with 44 sacks and had 12 more sacks than the Jets. Basically, we sent only four pass rushers 69.5% of the time. I have said it before and I'll say it again, we dont need to take a chance on a pass rusher in the first round when we could just keep who we currently have and use that draft pick on a much bigger need - CB.

That article just makes me want to keep Lawson even more than I did before.
                      Seriously? That is all the convincing you need? I don't really care about all of those little stats. Lawson has not proven himself to be a playmaker at this point in his career. He hasn't made a lot, if any, big plays up to this point. And this doesn't mean that I want the 49ers to necessarily take an OLB early next season in the draft or acquire one via free agency, however it doesn't mean I'm personally convinced that Lawson is some special commodity that needs to be locked up with that ridiculous contract he's demanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                        Here is an intriguing prospect. In regards to Alex Smith, how high do you think his ceiling can be assuming he reaches his full potential? I don't think he'll ever become an A+ quarterback such as a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. We probably would have seen flashes at this point. Smith comes off as a player who in my mind is really going to have to work hard and practice just to get to a decent level of play in the NFL.

I think if he does reach his full potential, he can be a B+ type of quarterback while maybe having that one or two good A- seasons. So while he might not be in the likes of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, I wouldn't be surprised if he rises to the level of a Steve McNair, Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Plummer or Mark Brunell level. And with that level of play we'd at least be in the playoffs and maybe have a shot at getting to the big game. I think all the pieces are in place. I know we may have issues at corner or our pass rush may not be in question, but even if we had the play of a Kyle Orton or maybe even David Garrard, we'd definitely be in the post season this year.
                        I would rather have Smith over every QB you listed except for Manning and Brady. However, considering the age and money that those two will get in a few more months and the fact that Brady seems on the decline and that Manning while awesome in the regular season always seems to choke in the playoffs, at this point in time, I would much rather have Smith especially since a new system coaches and city could screw up Manning/Brady.

Garrard: 16/16, 314/516 (60.9%), 3597 yards, 15 TD, 10 INT, 42 sacks, 14 fumbles, 8 lost, 83.5 QB rating

Orton: 16/15, 336/541 (62.1%), 3802 yards, 21 TD, 12 INT, 29 sacks, 4 fumbles, 2 lost, 86.8 QB rating

Smith: 11/10, 225/372 (60.5%), 2350 yards, 18 TD, 12 INT, 22 sacks, 3 fumbles, 1 lost, 81.5 QB rating

If Smith would have started all 16 games, his passing yards would have been 3420, his TD's would have been 26, his INT's would have been 18. Granted, his INT's would have been higher but his passing yards is within 200 and 400 and he would have had 5 TD's more than Orton and 11 more than Garrard.

Thanks but I would much rather have Smith. Garrard is average at best in my opinion and while he may or may not have a number one receiver, the thing he does have over Smith is that he's been in the same system for the last four years. Orton got lucky last season but subtract Marshall and he's not even in this discussion. Not only that but as usual, the Broncos had a total meltdown once their undefeated streak ended.

I personally believe that Smith can become BETTER than Jeff Garcia but he needs what Garcia had. A consistent offensive system and players around him. If the offense stays healthy and the OL plays good consistently, Smith will be a sleeper on fantasy teams. He'll put up stats. My only concern is that we dont have a finesse/change of pace back which could have helped our offense even more because every other team in the league knows that we're a "power" running team but you need some finesse and speed too. Oh well.

My prediction for Smith if he and the starting offense stays healthy -

65% completion, 3500 yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's.......
                        and a Super Bowl MVP trophy. :)

Yeah, im just adding in the last part but I figured what the hell, mine as well. I do think that he'll be close to those stats if he doesnt actually match them.

Comment

I would rather have Smith over every QB you listed except for Manning and Brady. However, considering the age and money that those two will get in a few more months and the fact that Brady seems on the decline and that Manning while awesome in the regular season always seems to choke in the playoffs, at this point in time, I would much rather have Smith especially since a new system coaches and city could screw up Manning/Brady.

Garrard: 16/16, 314/516 (60.9%), 3597 yards, 15 TD, 10 INT, 42 sacks, 14 fumbles, 8 lost, 83.5 QB rating

Orton: 16/15, 336/541 (62.1%), 3802 yards, 21 TD, 12 INT, 29 sacks, 4 fumbles, 2 lost, 86.8 QB rating

Smith: 11/10, 225/372 (60.5%), 2350 yards, 18 TD, 12 INT, 22 sacks, 3 fumbles, 1 lost, 81.5 QB rating

If Smith would have started all 16 games, his passing yards would have been 3420, his TD's would have been 26, his INT's would have been 18. Granted, his INT's would have been higher but his passing yards is within 200 and 400 and he would have had 5 TD's more than Orton and 11 more than Garrard.

Thanks but I would much rather have Smith. Garrard is average at best in my opinion and while he may or may not have a number one receiver, the thing he does have over Smith is that he's been in the same system for the last four years. Orton got lucky last season but subtract Marshall and he's not even in this discussion. Not only that but as usual, the Broncos had a total meltdown once their undefeated streak ended.

I personally believe that Smith can become BETTER than Jeff Garcia but he needs what Garcia had. A consistent offensive system and players around him. If the offense stays healthy and the OL plays good consistently, Smith will be a sleeper on fantasy teams. He'll put up stats. My only concern is that we dont have a finesse/change of pace back which could have helped our offense even more because every other team in the league knows that we're a "power" running team but you need some finesse and speed too. Oh well.

My prediction for Smith if he and the starting offense stays healthy -

65% completion, 3500 yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's.......
                          and a Super Bowl MVP trophy. :)

Yeah, im just adding in the last part but I figured what the hell, mine as well. I do think that he'll be close to those stats if he doesnt actually match them.
                          Everyone I listed has had good years in the NFL. Pro Bowls and All Pros. When I was talking about those guys, I was talking about the height of their dominance. Such as Jake Plummer's 2005 season or Steve McNair's 2003 season when he won MVP. Don't see why you would rather have Smith over that kind of player. Smith hasn't come close to it yet. And you can't really play the "calculator" card and say Smith would have thrown for X amount of yards/touchdowns. If Smith was the regular season starter he may have suffered a torn ACL. We don't know so we can't predict outcomes like that. Especially since the last few games of the season he seemed like he got worse. One touchdown against the Rams and Lions is pretty pathetic. Especially with Crabtree, Davis, and Gore on offense. And he's only had one 300 yard game in his career. Hopefully the continuity on offense helps.

Comment

Seriously? That is all the convincing you need? I don't really care about all of those little stats. Lawson has not proven himself to be a playmaker at this point in his career. He hasn't made a lot, if any, big plays up to this point. And this doesn't mean that I want the 49ers to necessarily take an OLB early next season in the draft or acquire one via free agency, however it doesn't mean I'm personally convinced that Lawson is some special commodity that needs to be locked up with that ridiculous contract he's demanding.
                            I was already convinced before reading that article. Like I said many times before, its not always the player, its how the player is used. Double the percentage and what if because of it, Lawson had 13 sacks instead of 6.5? Still think that we need to let him leave and replace him with a rookie who could turn out to be worse? When letting players leave and replacing them, I have always thought that if you cant get a player who's BETTER than who you're replacing, then, why replace him in the first place?

That percentage shows that Lawson isnt a playmaker because he's always on the sidelines or in coverage making tackles. How can he be a playmaker and get sacks/fumbles or cause the QB to throw an INT or a bad pass when he's mostly in coverage?

Remember what I have said all along - its not who the player is but how the player is used. You have to use the strengths of the player and hide the weaknesses as much as possible. People say that Lawson is weak rushing the passer but according to that article, he's not. He's just not used in that way as much as he is in coverage.

In the end, I just dont see the point in eliminating a piece of the our defensive core. Just doesnt make any sense. Not when we have a chance to be a playoff team. Replacing players isnt going to get us to the playoffs faster. It's going to take longer.

And what exactly is his contract demands anyway?

Comment

I was already convinced before reading that article. Like I said many times before, its not always the player, its how the player is used. Double the percentage and what if because of it, Lawson had 13 sacks instead of 6.5? Still think that we need to let him leave and replace him with a rookie who could turn out to be worse? When letting players leave and replacing them, I have always thought that if you cant get a player who's BETTER than who you're replacing, then, why replace him in the first place?

That percentage shows that Lawson isnt a playmaker because he's always on the sidelines or in coverage making tackles. How can he be a playmaker and get sacks/fumbles or cause the QB to throw an INT or a bad pass when he's mostly in coverage?

Remember what I have said all along - its not who the player is but how the player is used. You have to use the strengths of the player and hide the weaknesses as much as possible. People say that Lawson is weak rushing the passer but according to that article, he's not. He's just not used in that way as much as he is in coverage.

In the end, I just dont see the point in eliminating a piece of the our defensive core. Just doesnt make any sense. Not when we have a chance to be a playoff team. Replacing players isnt going to get us to the playoffs faster. It's going to take longer.

And what exactly is his contract demands anyway?
                              If you cant get a player who's BETTER than who you're replacing, then, why replace him in the first place? If we all went by that code, we might as well never have an NFL draft...which is more so about believing than knowing. Scouting isn't an exact science. The same thing can be said for getting guys in free agency to fit your system. Nothing is 100% certain.

As for Lawson, I'm not talking about sacks. I'm talking about making plays. If he's in coverage so much why isn't he getting picks or making more of an impact? The guy has had one pick in his career.

As for his contract demands, I don't know the details. All I know is that he's been grumbling about a new deal which is most likely lucrative. Which is also most likely why he hasn't been extended yet.

Comment

Everyone I listed has had good years in the NFL. Pro Bowls and All Pros. When I was talking about those guys, I was talking about the height of their dominance. Such as Jake Plummer's 2005 season or Steve McNair's 2003 season when he won MVP. Don't see why you would rather have Smith over that kind of player. Smith hasn't come close to it yet. And you can't really play the "calculator" card and say Smith would have thrown for X amount of yards/touchdowns. If Smith was the regular season starter he may have suffered a torn ACL. We don't know so we can't predict outcomes like that. Especially since the last few games of the season he seemed like he got worse. One touchdown against the Rams and Lions is pretty pathetic. Especially with Crabtree, Davis, and Gore on offense. And he's only had one 300 yard game in his career. Hopefully the continuity on offense helps.
                                Sorry, I misunderstood the part about past players like McNair, Plummer and Hasselbeck. I thought you meant now or at the end of their careers.

My mistake.

As for not being able to play the "calculator" card, im just going by what Smith did and extending it by 5 games. Thats all. Sure, he could have gotten injured but he could have also been awesome. Who knows?

And how did Smith get worse in the last two games? He was 37/59 (63%) for 452 yards with 2 TD's and NO interceptions. More importantly, the team both games by a combined score of 48-12. Thats what I care about. The wins. I the loss to Philly, he was 20/37 (54%) for 177 yards with 1 TD and 3 INT's. Granted, DET and STL had the two worst defenses in the NFC but our total offense was 14th and the scoring offense was 9th in the NFC. Not like our offense was in the top five or something. I for one was happy about how he played in those last two games because he didnt do anything stupid like turn the ball over and considering the 3 INT's he threw in Philly, having the stats he had against DET and STL was good enough because he didnt have any turnovers, a 63% completion rate and 2 TD's and most importantly, getting back his confidence and momentum going into 2010 after the bad game he had in Philly.

And the DET game was mainly our defense because even Gore was stuffed for only 71 yards on 28 attempts for a crappy 2.5 average and a TD. Plus, he lost a fumble.

Everyone here knows that im NOT the biggest Smith fan but at only 26 years old and finally being in the same system for the second straight season, I definitely want him to have a damn god season to where he can be our franchise QB because if he fails, we wont be going to the playoffs any time soon because no rookie QB is going to come in and do awesome especially since there would probably be yet another OC.

Like I said in a previous post, the only main thing I was hoping for was an explosive finesse/change of pace back because looking at our offense, thats all thats missing. Let's hope that after 2010, it stays that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information