This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    If you cant get a player who's BETTER than who you're replacing, then, why replace him in the first place? If we all went by that code, we might as well never have an NFL draft...which is more so about believing than knowing. Scouting isn't an exact science. The same thing can be said for getting guys in free agency to fit your system. Nothing is 100% certain.

As for Lawson, I'm not talking about sacks. I'm talking about making plays. If he's in coverage so much why isn't he getting picks or making more of an impact? The guy has had one pick in his career.

As for his contract demands, I don't know the details. All I know is that he's been grumbling about a new deal which is most likely lucrative. Which is also most likely why he hasn't been extended yet.
    When I said replace, I meant via FA or trade. The Draft shouldnt be to replace current players. The Draft should be to either A) draft franchise players at franchise positions because you're rebuilding fro the ground up or B) to sit on the bench for a few seasons behind a veteran player who's going to be replaced by that drafted rookie.

Maybe because Lawson doesnt roam free to make plays since thats Willis' job. Lawson pretty much stays with the guy he's assigned to and if that player doesnt have the ball thrown to him, kind of tough to break up a pass or get an INT.

I know he's been grumbling about a new contract but hell, what player doesnt grumble? LOL. And Davis was supposed to be extended by now and hasnt been. I wonder what the holdup is with him.

I'm curious though, whats the max you would re-sign Lawson at?

On a related note - Drew Rosenhaus was in SF today and its expected that Davis will sign his rookie contract before the week is out. Hope that turns out to be true.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      When I said replace, I meant via FA or trade. The Draft shouldnt be to replace current players. The Draft should be to either A) draft franchise players at franchise positions because you're rebuilding fro the ground up or B) to sit on the bench for a few seasons behind a veteran player who's going to be replaced by that drafted rookie.

Maybe because Lawson doesnt roam free to make plays since thats Willis' job. Lawson pretty much stays with the guy he's assigned to and if that player doesnt have the ball thrown to him, kind of tough to break up a pass or get an INT.

I know he's been grumbling about a new contract but hell, what player doesnt grumble? LOL. And Davis was supposed to be extended by now and hasnt been. I wonder what the holdup is with him.

I'm curious though, whats the max you would re-sign Lawson at?

On a related note - Drew Rosenhaus was in SF today and its expected that Davis will sign his rookie contract before the week is out. Hope that turns out to be true.
      You just contradicted yourself in your first statement. Regardless, the draft is about replacing players. Everyone is going to be replaced sometime. That's the point of the NFL Draft. Also, to try and get better players. It also adds competition to current veterans on the team.

In your second statement it sounds like you're just making excuses for Lawson's inability to be a playmaker. Manny Lawson isn't always in man coverage when he's asked to be in coverage. Even if he was, this doesn't mean he is unable to make plays. You might as well make excuses for a nickelback never amounting to anything.

As for resigning Lawson, I don't even know if I would. I'd have to see how the season goes.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Bg kudos to phylsac for that photo, if she didnt bang NFLers Jessica would be just another failed lip-syncher. LOL

Smith has enough experience under his belt now that he will show his zenith, the edge of his envelope if you will this & the next 2-3 seasons, but I believe he will be an adequate & not outstanding NFL QB comparatively speaking. Outstanding QBs, they're named Manning, Brees, maybe even Rivers & Romo. Smith will have that 65-75-80% QB rating at his peak, always the mistakes & turnovers that come with pushing it (throwing into multiple coverages, holding the ball too long, etc) as 95%+ of NFL QBs all do.

What will elevate Smith to that status is that in 2010 the 9ers have the same offensive scheme & OC for 2 yrs in a row, that's a 1st for them through the last 3-4 HCs & it can only help Smith's ratings. Also helps to have top shelf receivers in Crabtree & even Morgan, & a consistent, reliable running game. If the 2 new o-linemen can pass block as expected then the offense will finally take off as we've been expecting ever since Smith was the #1 overall pick.
        Last edited by LizardState; 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• I'm afraid this is the make or break season for Smith. play great or goodbye.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
            I'm afraid this is the make or break season for Smith. play great or goodbye.
            I think that is rather obvious. One year left on that deal, and he has been given every thing needed to show he's got enough talent to be this teams QB for the future.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• for the record, Smith was terrible during the detroit game. Stats may look alright, but people were calling for Nate ******* Davis to come in during the game.

RIP ST

Comment

• Originally posted by Shahin View Post
                people were calling for Nate ******* Davis to come in during the game.
                People also thought Tim Rattay could be a decent starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                  Add me to that list. Of course, that was back in 2003 when he played for the injured Garcia. Once they unloaded almost the entire starting offense, Rattay had no shot at doing anything. Plus, he was injury prone. Oh well.

Comment

yeah, but that has nothing to do with Alex Smith still sucking that badly against Detroit of all teams.

RIP ST

Comment

• 20/31 230 yrds 1 td 0 int ??? I've seen worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shahin View Post
                        yeah, but that has nothing to do with Alex Smith still sucking that badly against Detroit of all teams.
                        my point is that "people" tend to get behind stupid ****.

I would be shocked if Nate Davis is ever a starting-quality NFL QB.

Comment

my point is that "people" tend to get behind stupid ****.

I would be shocked if Nate Davis is ever a starting-quality NFL QB.
                          Oh yeah, i was just saying that to illustrate how unhappy people were with Smith's play at the time.

20/31 230 yrds 1 td 0 int ??? I've seen worse.
                          It isn't like he wasn't doing a decent job, but most of the throws that game were ugly. Crabtree should have had a TD, but had to stop and wait for the ball. The leading receiver was Gore, who did most of his work in the flats and made his own yards.

Basically saying i don't have ALOT of confidence in Smith, but I definitely would like to see him succeed. Apparently he's been looking good.

RIP ST

Comment

• Remember the interest the 49ers had in Chester Pitts a while back? I saw this blurb from Jason La Canfora's blog posted today:

Not much left on the free agent market, but guard Chester Pitts is drawing attention. He's coming back from major surgery, but is a few days away from being able to fully workout for teams, according to a source close to him. Philadelphia, Seattle and San Francisco are among the teams who have monitored his recovery. Pitts, a long-time starter for the Texans, is weighing whether to conduct one workout for several teams, or visit teams individually. He expects to have a club by the time camps open at the end of the month. Flozell Adams and Brian Westbrook have offers on the table as well, but have yet to make a decision about where they will play.
                            http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...reading-ledger

Not sure if this means anything or the 49ers still have any remote interest in Pitts. Since we drafted Mike Iupati to play guard, and we still have Rachal on the other side who is a young player coming into his own still (and according to Maiocco there is no competition for his spot), I'd be surprised if the 49ers tried to sign him, especially this late in the offseason.
                            Last edited by Ness; 07-15-2010, 02:49 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                            Originally posted by Borat
                            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              Remember the interest the 49ers had in Chester Pitts a while back? I saw this blurb from Jason La Canfora's blog posted today:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...reading-ledger

Not sure if this means anything or the 49ers still have any remote interest in Pitts. Since we drafted Mike Iupati to play guard, and we still have Rachal on the other side who is a young player coming into his own still (and according to Maiocco there is no competition for his spot), I'd be surprised if the 49ers tried to sign him, especially this late in the offseason.
                              I believe the Niners had guaranteed him a roster spot, but not a starting job. He also was coming off this injury and wanted close to starting Guard money, thus why the Niners (nor any other team) have yet to sign him. He'll likely lower his demands, which could allow the Niners to pick him up for depth, which would likely mean the end for a player like Cody Wallace or even Baas.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• I wouldnt even bother wasting money on Pitts. I would keep Rachal, Baas, Snyder and Wallace instead. Iupati is set and hopefully so is Rachal. Snyder can play both OG and OT so I wouldnt let him go. Wallace has been a disappointment but he still has two years left on his contract for less than $1.3m combined. If anything, I would just let Wallace leave when his rookie contract expires but not before. Baas is playing under his RFA tender for one year and I wouldnt let him leave either.

Personally, I wouldnt sign anyone unless an injury occurs to a starter because looking at next year's UFA class, we could have the chance to upgrade a few positions easily and I would much rather not spend any money unless its used on extending Davis, Goldson and Lawson.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information