Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, the NFL Supplemental Draft is over. Two players were drafted in the 7th round. Unga to the Bears and Price-Brent to the Cowboys.

Comment

• How does the NFL Supplemental Draft even work if there are no "rounds" and teams simply have to "bid" for players? Whenever I read articles about the Supplemental Draft, I see descriptions such as "player X was taken in the 5th round of the Supplemental Draft". How does it work?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• RealityCheck summed it up nicely:
        Originally posted by RealityCheck
        About the Supplemental Draft
        Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, S Paul Oliver was taken by the San Diego Chargers in the fourth round of the Supplemental Draft in 2007; thus, in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Chargers forfeited a fourth-round pick.)
        "Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."

Comment

• Originally posted by tenorx View Post
          RealityCheck summed it up nicely:
          I read the blurb too. It's on wikipedia. But I still don't get it. So I'm guessing that if Harvey Unga is considered a pick in the 7th round, someone in their draft order (I guess Chicago is in the middle of the pack since they only had seven wins last year) merely just give up a seventh round selection for him?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
            I read the blurb too. It's on wikipedia. But I still don't get it. So I'm guessing that if Harvey Unga is considered a pick in the 7th round, someone in their draft order (I guess Chicago is in the middle of the pack since they only had seven wins last year) merely just give up a seventh round selection for him?
            Yes, their 2011/7. It's a big steal for the Bears, I think the Bengals should have taken him in the 4th.
            "Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."

Comment

• I was curious to see if we bid on Price-Brent, I thought he might be a decent project at NT but I guess they werent sold on his off-field issues.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                I was curious to see if we bid on Price-Brent, I thought he might be a decent project at NT but I guess they werent sold on his off-field issues.
                The Cowboys bid would've been later than the 49ers. Since the highest bid was the Cowboys in round 7 it would be impossible for the 49ers to have entered a bid for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shahin View Post
                  people were calling for Nate ******* Davis to come in during the game.
                  The backup QB is always the most popular player to pissy fans.

Comment

• I'm actually surprised that both of those players didnt get selected until the 7th round. I'm still hoping to sign that FB who's now an UDFA.

Comment

• The Cowboys, a 3-4 team with a young, legit NT drafted him but we didn't? hmm.

Comment

• I'm actually surprised that we didnt put in a bid for Price-Brent after the sixth round ended and he was still available. He could turn out to be a steal for the Cowboys and even if he sucks, its only a 7th rounder and the majority of 7th rounders usually end up on the Practice Squad and eventually out of the league anyway. The only 7th rounder that I can think of over the last few seasons to not only make the team but to actually be damn good was Saints WR Marques Colston. I cant think of any other 7th rounders that did anything in the last few years or so.

Definitely a steal for both the Bears and Cowboys.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                          The Cowboys, a 3-4 team with a young, legit NT drafted him but we didn't? hmm.
                          Yeah, but if he turns out to be a steal for the Cowboys, they could always move Ratliff to DE (like the Ravens did with Ngata) which from what I have read, he'll play from time to time.

Comment

• Originally posted by tenorx View Post
                            Yes, their 2011/7. It's a big steal for the Bears, I think the Bengals should have taken him in the 4th.
                            Oh okay. Like ghost-picking.

Originally posted by tenorx View Post
                            Why the Bengals? Cedric Benson is already there. Even though he had an off-field-incident, I bet he gets a new deal...assuming he has another good season. And Bernard Scott, their backup, looked good in limited action.
                            Last edited by Ness; 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                              Why the Bengals? Cedric Benson is already there. Even though he had an off-field-incident, I bet he gets a new deal...assuming he has another good season. And Bernard Scott, their backup, looked good in limited action.
                              Because of Benson's off the field incident, isnt he in line for a suspension? Scott looked good but adding another quality RB for depth purposes sure as hell wouldnt hurt them.

Comment

• Do the Bengals trust Benson ? Leonard/Scott are good but Unga would have helped.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information