This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    Yeah, but if he turns out to be a steal for the Cowboys, they could always move Ratliff to DE (like the Ravens did with Ngata) which from what I have read, he'll play from time to time.
    Exactly. Lots of buzz in Dallas about using Ratliff's quickness better at DE, also extend his career with less wear & tear. And b/c Spears is a temperamental a-hole with too big a contract with too little performance he could find himself out of Dallas very soon. Also exactly why the Ravens drafted Mount Cody so early with Ngata moved to DE, or rotate the 2 of them at NT to minimize that NFL career mileage

Taking Price-Brent was a win-win for the Cowboys, very little risk & potential big rewards, & it's very difficult as we all know to find that once-in-a-generation, Wilkinson clone NT.

There's enough depth behind Franklin, no great need for P-B in SF.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
      enough depth? the second and third string NT is Jean-Francois.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

do tell, I'm interested.

Comment

• I think Sopoaga would take over as NT if Frankiln wasn't playing/injured/holding out. Balmer or Ray McDonald would take the LDE spot. It wouldn't be ideal, but that's the shift I would see happening. I do hope Jean-Francois can make some strides this year as a NT.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• when is sopoaga going to get replaced? that guy gets no push

Comment

• Soap is OK at end, but yeah, he's worthless at NT.
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                when is sopoaga going to get replaced? that guy gets no push
                I always mock a DT to replace him but Sing and Co don't feel the same way

Comment

• Yeah, there's no depth at NT except for Francois even though I would tryout Balmer at NT during TC and the pre-season to see if he can do anything positive at that position.

For a 7th rounder, I would have definitely taken a chance on Price-Brent because like the Cowboys fan said, its such a low risk that its worth the gamble. And im guessing that Spears will be gone after 2010 either way.

I personally cant wait for next off-season because look at all the potential UFA's including but not limited to -

WR Braylon Edwards
                  WR Santonio Holmes
                  DE Haloti Ngata
                  C Nick Mangold
                  ILB David Harris

And not every player can be franchised especially in regards to the Jets. Add in Manning/Brady and them two should hold a one hour special on ESPN announcing what team that they're signing with. Of course, both would be franchised and that wouldnt happen but it would be funny as hell if it did.

Comment

• When discussing overall depth at NT you have to realize that the classic NT the 49ers employ in Franklin, with RJF as his backup are merely 2-down personnel. When you consider the utilization of both Sopoaga and Balmer at RDE with NT capabilities, the team may not be amazingly stacked at NT but I trust the 4-man depth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      enough depth? the second and third string NT is Jean-Francois.
                      Yeah, there's no depth at NT except for Francois even though I would tryout Balmer at NT during TC and the pre-season to see if he can do anything positive at that position.
                      Uhh, wtf happened to Sapoaga? He's still the backup behind Franklin at NT per this PFW preseason mag, when did he move over?

2 NTs behind Franklin = depth to me, if I'm wrong pls. enlighten me.

Comment

Uhh, wtf happened to Sapoaga? He's still the backup behind Franklin at NT per this PFW preseason mag, when did he move over?

2 NTs behind Franklin = depth to me, if I'm wrong pls. enlighten me.
                        Sopoaga has started at DE for at least the last two seasons opposite Justin Smith. Francois is the only other NT after Franklin. Sopoaga was drafted in 2004 to be a 4-3 DT and wasnt that good at NT so once Franklin was signed in 2007, Sopoaga was moved to DE.

It's basically Franklin and Francois at NT. I was suggesting Balmer to play NT during TC and the pre-season because he hasnt done a damn thing at DE so mine as well see if he can do anything positive at NT.

Either way, if Franklin was to get injured for a long period of time, our defense is screwed. As long as he's staying in football shape, im actually hoping that he doesnt sign his franchise tender until the week before the regular season starts.

Comment

• Balmer needs to step up and replace Sop ASAP.

Comment

• Matt Maiocco of Comcast Sports Bay Area suggests that the 49ers are no longer interested in free agent OG Chester Pitts.
                            Pitts was connected to the 49ers in March, but they drafted Mike Iupati a month later. Pitts will be working out for NFL teams on Tuesday. Though the Niners and Eagles' interests have reportedly dwindled, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora believes that Pitts will sign somewhere in sort order.
                            http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=175766&spln=1

Comment

• not a shocker after the Iupati selection

Comment

• Agree. I just wanted to make the update since it was brought up last page.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information