Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished reading a short but decent article on our safety position and not only does it look like Mays isnt ready to be the starting SS, it appears that Reggie Smith is going to be the odd man out if the team only keeps four safeties on the final roster.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=68257

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      Just finished reading a short but decent article on our safety position and not only does it look like Mays isnt ready to be the starting SS, it appears that Reggie Smith is going to be the odd man out if the team only keeps four safeties on the final roster.

meh, it's OTAs.

Comment

Sopoaga has started at DE for at least the last two seasons opposite Justin Smith. Francois is the only other NT after Franklin. Sopoaga was drafted in 2004 to be a 4-3 DT and wasnt that good at NT so once Franklin was signed in 2007, Sopoaga was moved to DE.

It's basically Franklin and Francois at NT. I was suggesting Balmer to play NT during TC and the pre-season because he hasnt done a damn thing at DE so mine as well see if he can do anything positive at NT.

Either way, if Franklin was to get injured for a long period of time, our defense is screwed. As long as he's staying in football shape, im actually hoping that he doesnt sign his franchise tender until the week before the regular season starts.
        I actually think the Niners have great NT depth, when looked at in comparison with the rest of the 3-4 teams in the league.
        1. Franklin: Solid starter.
        2. Sopoaga: IMO one of the better backup NTs, even if he starts at DE as well.
        3. RJF: Good potential.
        4. Balmer: Has experience practicing there, which is more than you can ask from most 4th stringers.
        5. Mitchell: Decent size and strength.

Lets look at the other teams:
        Bills:
        1. Kyle Williams
        2. Torell Troup
        3. Lonnie Harvey

Dolphins:
        1. Randy Starks
        2. Paul Soliai
        3. Ryan Baker
        4. Travis Ivey

Jets:
        1. Kris Jenkins
        2. Sione Pouha
        3. Rodrique Wright

Patriots:
        1. Vince Wilfork
        2. Ron Brace
        3. Myron Prior
        4. Kade Weston

Ravens:
        1. Kelly Gregg
        2. Haloti Ngata
        3. Terrance Cody
        4. Brandon McKinney
        5. Kelly Talavou

Steelers:
        1. Casey Hampton
        2. Chris Hoke
        3. Scott Paxson

Browns
        1. Shaun Rodgers
        2. Ahtyba Rubin
        3. Kwaku Danso

Broncos:
        1. Jamaal Williams
        2. Ronald Fields
        3. Chris Baker

Chargers:
        1. Ogemdi Nwagbuo
        2. Cam Thomas
        3. Vaughn Martin
        4. Antonio Garay

Chiefs:
        1. Ron Edwards
        2. Shaun Smith
        3. Dion Gales
        4. Garrett Brown

Cowboys:
        1. Jay Ratliff
        2. Junior Siavii

Redskins:
        1. Kedric Golston
        2. Maake Kemoeatu
        3. Howard Green
        4. Anthony Bryant

Packers:
        1. Ryan Pickett
        2. BJ Raji
        3. Anthony Toribio
        4. Aleric Mullins

Cardinals:
        1. Dan Williams
        2. Alan Branch
        3. Gabe Watson
        4. Bryan Robinson

Looking at our overall NT group vs the rest of the league I think we are top 5 AT LEAST. I like the Pats, Ravens and Packers overall group as much ass ours, if not more. Its close though. I think people should chill out on out NT depth though. Sop is a decent replacement if needed, Balmer has potential and work ethic and has a least taken some reps at the NT and RJF is a good prospect who is getting lots of reps.

We are better off than most 3-4 teams at NT.

Feel free to correct my depth charts, though before anyone tries, I know Sopoaga is our LDE, but my opinion is that he would shift over to NT if Franklin went down and be replaced by Evens, McDonald or Balmer on the end.

Comment

Just finished reading a short but decent article on our safety position and not only does it look like Mays isnt ready to be the starting SS, it appears that Reggie Smith is going to be the odd man out if the team only keeps four safeties on the final roster.

Considering that Michael Lewis is aging, in the latter half of his contract, and is one concussion away from retiring; I believe that keeping 5 safeties would be a smart option, especially considering that Smith could be an emergency dime-CB.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac
            Considering that Michael Lewis is aging, in the latter half of his contract, and is one concussion away from retiring; I believe that keeping 5 safeties would be a smart option, especially considering that Smith could be an emergency dime-CB.
            Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see Lewis get released on final cuts because of all the stuff you just posted.

Comment

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised to see Lewis get released on final cuts because of all the stuff you just posted.
              They may have to keep Lewis b/c Mays is a complete unproven X-Factor whose Pac 10 performance last yr, all those missed tackles, have raised lots of concerns about his ability to play in the NFL, much less justify his high draft pick.

Comment

• I think most everyone knew how big of a project Mays was coming into the draft, was basically drafted because of his measurables(like VD) now you just have to mold him

Comment

• if any one starts over Michael Lewis, it'll be Reggie Smith. I would be shocked if they cut Lewis.

EDIT: For the sake of cleaning this thread up a bit, I decided to merge all the old threads. Also here are our top posters not counting our current 49ers/Giants Discussion Threads:

Brent - 1,135
                  dan77733 - 1,110
                  WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? - 933
                  Madirishman - 700
                  Menardo75 - 669
                  yorkshireniner - 567
                  Borat - 551
                  binary- 546
                  rainbeaukid2 - 532

I have no idea who yorkshireniner is.
                  Last edited by Brent; 07-24-2010, 08:13 PM.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                    if any one starts over Michael Lewis, it'll be Reggie Smith. I would be shocked if they cut Lewis.

EDIT: For the sake of cleaning this thread up a bit, I decided to merge all the old threads. Also here are our top posters not counting our current 49ers/Giants Discussion Threads:

Brent - 1,135
                    dan77733 - 1,110
                    WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? - 933
                    Madirishman - 700
                    Menardo75 - 669
                    yorkshireniner - 567
                    Borat - 551
                    binary- 546
                    rainbeaukid2 - 532

I have no idea who yorkshireniner is.
                    I would be SHOCKED if Smith starts week one period. LOL. I do think that Lewis and Goldson will be the starters but if Mays some how does well enough in TC and pre-season, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Lewis not make it past the final 53.

As for the combining of threads, I have a suggestion.

Create a new 49ers regular season discussion once the season starts and then create an off-season discussion once our season ends. Then, just "reset" each topic every year.

Thoughts?

Comment

Create a new 49ers regular season discussion once the season starts and then create an off-season discussion once our season ends. Then, just "reset" each topic every year.

Thoughts?
                      I'll keep the generic discussion thread because it works as a nice "catch all" for all our bantering. I'll definitely have a thread for each game like before. When I was going back and combining all those threads, I noticed how many were made for something that could easily have been a post in a discussion thread (did we really need a thread to discuss if Patrick Willis would be a better pick over Adam Carriker?). I could start a new discussion thread when the season kicks off, but, really, does that seem necessary? I figured a generic thread for everything that isnt about the games works for in-season or off-season.

Really, it's up to you guys, I dont care either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                        I'll keep the generic discussion thread because it works as a nice "catch all" for all our bantering. I'll definitely have a thread for each game like before. When I was going back and combining all those threads, I noticed how many were made for something that could easily have been a post in a discussion thread (did we really need a thread to discuss if Patrick Willis would be a better pick over Adam Carriker?). I could start a new discussion thread when the season kicks off, but, really, does that seem necessary? I figured a generic thread for everything that isnt about the games works for in-season or off-season.

Really, it's up to you guys, I dont care either way.
                        Thinking about it a little more, I like the regular season thread idea and then having threads for free agency and the draft. That way both would be separated and you wouldnt have to go through pages of posts just to find something that you missed reading. The "reset" idea every year makes sense because no one is going to post about stuff that happened years ago so mine as well "reset" it every year.

A weekly game thread idea is good too but should be posted every Thursday with no weekly thread staying "active" for more than two weeks because if we're in week 6, its highly unlikely that we're going to be talking about what happened in week 4.

As for the thread in which all other topics were combined, I dont know how anyone else feels but me personally, I would just delete that thread entirely.

And on a related side note - with me being off on Sundays from work starting today, im hoping to have Direct TV by week one of the regular season. After ten years in the making, I'll finally be able to see my 49ers play every week plus be able to watch MNF and other great matchups. YAY ME!!! LOL. :)

Comment

• Cleaning out my closet and I found some old 49ers jerseys that don't fit me anymore. Before I sell them on ebay just seeing if anybody has interest in them. Not looking for much. Most our 2xl or 3xl. PM me and I'll send a list.

Comment

And on a related side note - with me being off on Sundays from work starting today, im hoping to have Direct TV by week one of the regular season. After ten years in the making, I'll finally be able to see my 49ers play every week plus be able to watch MNF and other great matchups. YAY ME!!! LOL. :)
                            Congrats you choose the right year to make the switch. It is so tough to go to somebody's house, who doesn't have Sunday package, and watch the games that are for that area.

Comment

As for the thread in which all other topics were combined, I dont know how anyone else feels but me personally, I would just delete that thread entirely.
                              Some people (not me) care about their post count.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                Some people (not me) care about their post count.
                                WOW!!! I wont even comment on that if its true.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information