This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Menardo75
    Dan watch some game film before you comment about needs.

My ideal 49er draft would be either

Taylor Mays
    Phil Loadholt

or

Michael Oher
    Rashad Johnson
    Sorry, but im not as concerned about the OL like many of you guys are. Here's a quick stat - Sullivan was sacked 32 times while Hill was sacked 23 times. I think the reason why the OL and RT in particular looks bad is because of the 5, 7 and 9 step dropbacks thanks to Martz and having no one in the backfield to protect the QB. Shorten the dropbacks and the sacks will be less because the play is meant to be quick, not long.

Snyder has done a good job at RT when he's started and like I said in my last post, I think the backups are more of a concern as is the playcalling and if there's anyone in the backfield providing help.

Looking at the 49ers roster, here's our secondary -

CB Tarell Brown
    CB Nate Clements
    FS Dashon Goldson
    CB Walt Harris
    CB Marcus Hudson
    SS Keith Lewis
    SS Michael Lewis
    FS Mark Roman
    CB Allen Rossum
    CB Reggie Smith
    CB Shawntae Spencer
    CB Donald Strickland

That's twelve defensive backs. Harris is pretty much done and I would let him walk if he's a UFA or release him if he's not. After last night, I would definitely try to sign Chargers RB Darren Sproles if he becomes a UFA which he will unless he resigns with SD. You can then eliminate Rossum. You've upgraded your kick/punt returner while at the same time, giving Gore a damn good backup who's probably starting quality on several teams.

That leaves six cornerbacks with Clements the top corner who's 29. He'll be around for a few more years before the big money hits in the last year or two. Spencer has shown that he's good and bad at times and like I said a year ago in regards to Asante Samuel, Spencer would be a damn good nickelback because his play his limited which allows him to stay rested and hopefully, injury free. Strickland would be kept for depth and special teams purposes while Brown and Hudson could compete for a starting spot but I think that they're better suited as backups but that's just me.

Safety wise, Michael Lewis is set at SS with Keith Lewis as his backup. Goldson is better suited as a backup and for special teams play. Roman sucks and has done so after his solid 2006 season. I personally would move Smith back to FS where he should b and let him play there the entire off-season because if I can draft Jenkins, no way in hell am I going to pass on him just because it isnt considered a "need".

Last year, we drafted Balmer who barely played and quite honestly, we should should have drafted FS Kenny Phillips (who I wanted a year ago) because we wouldnt be having this discussion right now but whatever. Bottom line is that if Jenkins is there at ten, you draft his ass if no safety is with that pick because you can always move Smith back to FS where he should be.

I hate it when we draft a player at one position and move him to another. That's so damn stupid because you're expecting a player to learn a new position that he's never played before on a professional level and be good at it. Sorry but that rarely if ever happens. If Smith has cover skills which he must or he wouldnt have been moved to CB, then he'll have the cover skills to play FS. All he needs is to be put there and let him stay there for 2009 so he'll be good.

Makes no sense to pass on Jenkins who'll help your secondary by the mere fact that the CB opposite Clements wont need safety help which would then allow Lewis to play closer in the box which is his strong suit and allow the FS to roam free in coverage. If the 49ers pass on a cover corner in Jenkins for a safety who's no worth a top twenty, let alone a top ten draft pick, then, im sorry but that will be one stupid ass move in my opinion.

But we'll see what happens. Hell, im still trying to figure out Jed York saying that this is the last time our season ends in December. I'll believe it when I see it and signing Singletary to a 4 year $10m deal based on just several games is beyond stupid. I would have given him a one year deal and see what he does with a full off-season running the team and to prepare for the season. To me, it seems like the York's just wanted to spend as little money as possible on their HC.

Dont get me wrong though, I like that Singletary doesnt take any crap and will make the team just that - a team but I would have waited until after 2009 before giving him a multi year deal to make sure that it stays that way after the novelty wares off.

Comment

• Dan news flash our RT position still wasn't very good. Seriously watch the games before you make yourself sound stupid wait you do that anyway....... I didn't read anything else you said.
      Originally posted by 49erNation85
      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Whatever bud.

Comment

• I think that RT is a need, and a big one. I also agree that Jenkins is not someone to pass on. I think that if he falls to us some other team better package a sweet deal to get him or we are taking a franchise QB instead. The tackle class is deep, and the difference in quality will be minimal. I also think that a pass rush would improve the play of our current secondary since they wouldnt be in coverage as long might be a smart move as well
          “Every play, every down, every series, every meeting — like it’s your last.” Jerry Kramer

Comment

• The first 2-3 Rounds should be BPA in one of our positions of need (OT, FS, CB, Pass rushing OLB/DE and maybe QB, WR). It's that easy.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Dan no organization in the world would sign a coach to a 1 year deal, that is beyond stupid.

Sig by Mockalicious

Comment

• Probably not but if Singletary is still under contract, he wouldnt have had many other options unless of course he wants to go to Detroit. LOL.

I just think that the York's are jumping the gun nstead of taking a wait and see approach. Go back to 2006, we finished strong at the end and went 7-9 and then sucked in 2007. Feels like the same thing here which is why I would have waited until after 2009 before giving Singletary a multi year deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  Probably not but if Singletary is still under contract, he wouldnt have had many other options unless of course he wants to go to Detroit. LOL.
                  Uh, try again: Cleveland, Jets and Detroit, all fired their coaches. Dallas, KC, STL and possibly one more team could fire their coaches. With the way the team played down the stretch under Singletary, it would be foolish to think that someone wouldnt be interested in his services outside of Detroit.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Probably not but if Singletary is still under contract, he wouldnt have had many other options unless of course he wants to go to Detroit. LOL.

I just think that the York's are jumping the gun nstead of taking a wait and see approach. Go back to 2006, we finished strong at the end and went 7-9 and then sucked in 2007. Feels like the same thing here which is why I would have waited until after 2009 before giving Singletary a multi year deal.
                    Not everyone is Mike Nolan.

Comment

• Bottom line, if it works out with Singletary, it will look like an excellent value (steal) for the Niners, and if not, we'll all criticize giving another inexperienced HC a long term deal. :)

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• He off to the best 49er coaching record in years. There's OBVIOUSLY something Mike Nolan was missing that Sing has got.. and He's got alot of it.

Comment

• What Mike did as an iterim coach has never been done before, and that's something to be excited about. He also gave Vernon a well deserved kick in the ass, and as a result was a Pro Bowl alternate.

Comment

• I was just reading on another team's forum that the Chargers are expected to let DE Igor Olshansky leave as an UFA. If that happens, would he be a good addition to our 3-4 defense? I was thinking that he worked with Manusky in SD so it might be a good fit and would allow us to move Balmer to DE and Smith to OLB opposite Lawson which would then allow him (Lawson) to blitz and rush the passer more.

Thoughts???

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman
                              Bottom line, if it works out with Singletary, it will look like an excellent value (steal) for the Niners, and if not, we'll all criticize giving another inexperienced HC a long term deal. :)
                              I agree 100%.

Comment

I was just reading on another team's forum that the Chargers are expected to let DE Igor Olshansky leave as an UFA. If that happens, would he be a good addition to our 3-4 defense? I was thinking that he worked with Manusky in SD so it might be a good fit and would allow us to move Balmer to DE and Smith to OLB opposite Lawson which would then allow him (Lawson) to blitz and rush the passer more.

Thoughts???
                                Dan.......No

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information