This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    We can't expect the pass protection to always be super great though. Especially in this era of free agency. Sometimes a quarterback makes an offensive line look worse than they really are. Our protection last season wasn't great, but it wasn't so bad that I didn't think anyone couldn't have succeeded back there. Raye might be a problem though. Regardless, Alex still needs to do his part and read defenses better. We've seen quarterbacks get sacked a bunch of times and still put up numbers and or lead their teams to wins. This hasn't been the case for Alex. That is going to have to change.
    I need to find the article again, but I remember reading about why the pass protection broke down so much. I guess the QB can audible the pass protection and a few times Alex was reading the defense wrong because he was so focused on the play-call. I guess his knowledge of the offense entering the year should make for a much different result.

Also, on the o-line topic: I am guessing that Iupati starts week 1, and Davis doesn't start till the first or second home game.

Oh, and I fully expect Mays to be starting by the end of the year.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
      Also, on the o-line topic: I am guessing that Iupati starts week 1, and Davis doesn't start till the first or second home game.

Oh, and I fully expect Mays to be starting by the end of the year.
      I'm hoping that Iupati AND Davis start week one of the regular season especially Davis because the team traded up two spots to draft him and him NOT starting week one would be a disappointment.

I'm also hoping that Mays beats out Lewis by week one and while he doesnt have the experience that Lewis has, he's our future SS and I would much rather see him (as well as Iupati and Davis) start week one so they can all gel together sooner. If they start mid or late season, the chemistry could be disrupted which would be a disaster if we get into the playoffs.

This is what im hoping our starting offense and defense will look like come week one -

OFFENSE - Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Staley, Iupati, Heitmann, Rachal and Davis.

I know thats only ten players but I would think that there's a better chance of seeing Hill or Walker instead of Norris at times. Also, is there any chance Coffee is big enough to play FB? He's only in his second season and if he someone has the size and ability to play FB successfully, we could have a young franchise FB in front of Gore for years to come. Thoughts?

DEFENSE - Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga, Lawson, Willis, Spikes, Brooks, Clements, Spencer, Mays and Goldson.

I think that Brooks will beat out Haralson for the second starting spot at OLB opposie Lawson and while I would also like to see Bowman win the starting spot next to Willis, I dont think that it will happen.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        I'm hoping that Iupati AND Davis start week one of the regular season especially Davis because the team traded up two spots to draft him and him NOT starting week one would be a disappointment.

I'm also hoping that Mays beats out Lewis by week one and while he doesnt have the experience that Lewis has, he's our future SS and I would much rather see him (as well as Iupati and Davis) start week one so they can all gel together sooner. If they start mid or late season, the chemistry could be disrupted which would be a disaster if we get into the playoffs.

This is what im hoping our starting offense and defense will look like come week one -

OFFENSE - Smith, Gore, Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Staley, Iupati, Heitmann, Rachal and Davis.

I know thats only ten players but I would think that there's a better chance of seeing Hill or Walker instead of Norris at times. Also, is there any chance Coffee is big enough to play FB? He's only in his second season and if he someone has the size and ability to play FB successfully, we could have a young franchise FB in front of Gore for years to come. Thoughts?

DEFENSE - Smith, Franklin, Sopoaga, Lawson, Willis, Spikes, Brooks, Clements, Spencer, Mays and Goldson.

I think that Brooks will beat out Haralson for the second starting spot at OLB opposie Lawson and while I would also like to see Bowman win the starting spot next to Willis, I dont think that it will happen.

Thoughts?
        Taylor Mays is still going to get some snaps in in certain packages. So whether he starts week one or down the line, I doubt it's going to be a big deal as far as team chemistry is concerned. The player that seems the most ready should start opening day. Doesn't mean I don't hope it's Mays though.

As for Coffee and his possibility at fullback, I highly doubt it. I remembering reading one of Matt Maiocco's articles and it mentioning that Jimmy Raye loves the old school fullback in the mold of a Lorenzo Neal or Tony Richardson. Britt Miller is considered a more finesse fullback, and he's 243 pounds. I know Coffee has bulked up to around 215 pounds I think, but I'd rather take my chances with Miller if we're going to go with a lighter guy at fullback. I'd still want a relatively big guy blocking for Frank.
        Last edited by Ness; 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
        Originally posted by Borat
        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Here is a short blurb about today's practice. Tomorrow they go with full pads. Today was just "shells".

http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/01/10/4...97&feedID=5936

Comment

• Baas got a mild concussion: pencil in Iupati starting week one.

Dan: the reason I wouldn't have Davis starting week one (unless of course he earns it) is that our first game is in Seattle, one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. He, being a RT, would be at risk of having trouble with hearing the snap, and more prone (as a rookie) to penalties due to not hearing the snap. Meanwhile, Iupati is in between Heitmann and Staley, our best o-linemen, to have some help with his mistakes, and would be fine with noise as he's next to the center.

As for starting Mays week one, Lewis, though I know you do not care for him, is a veteran who has proven that, when healthy, is a pretty good safety. If this team is serious about making a playoff run, someone who makes mistakes early in the season, particularly at a position which is the last line of defense against a HUGE play, is a liability they cannot afford.
            Last edited by Brent; 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
              Baas got a mild concussion: pencil in Iupati starting week one.

Dan: the reason I wouldn't have Davis starting week one (unless of course he earns it) is that our first game is in Seattle, one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. He, being a RT, would be at risk of having trouble with hearing the snap, and more prone (as a rookie) to penalties due to not hearing the snap. Meanwhile, Iupati is in between Heitmann and Staley, our best o-linemen, to have some help with his mistakes, and would be fine with noise as he's next to the center.

As for starting Mays week one, Lewis, though I know you do not care for him, is a veteran who has proven that, when healthy, is a pretty good safety. If this team is serious about making a playoff run, someone who makes mistakes early in the season, particularly at a position which is the last line of defense against a HUGE play, is a liability they cannot afford.
              Hopefully, Iupati and Rachal are our starting OG's come week one.

As for Davis, using the noise in a stadium as an excuse is lame. They should be watching the ball, not listening to fans besides RT has been a weak link since Scott Gragg and I believe that you either start the player from week one or let him sit an entire year. I'm NOT a fan of mid season starts because you're screwing up the chemistry thats already there. And I dont care if he makes mistakes because as a rookie, its a given which is why you have Gore or an extra TE on that side helping him if/when necessary.

Quite honestly, if he's not ready enough to start at RT week one then we shouldnt have drafted him over Buluga. Staley was drafted in 2007 and started all 16 games at RT. If Davis cant do the same, then I see trading up two spots to draft him as being a mistake and a failure. No player is going to learn a damn thing sitting on a bench watching others. Let Davis start and get the chemistry and consistency he needs in order to be a damn good RT.

I look at the Ravens with Oher and Gaither and thats what I want Staley and Davis to be. Two awesome bookend tackles for the next decade. Add in Iupati and Rachal (and hopefully Nick Mangold in 2011) and I'll be the happiest camper here because thats easily a top five OL barring injuries. On a related side note, Davis wont even have to worry about the crowd noise anyway since all the fans would have walked out mid first quarter after already being down 28-0. :)

As for Lewis, im a fan of his but his salary, history with concussions, being a liability in coverage and the fact that we drafted Mays in the second round means that he's expendable. He's going to be gone after 2010 either way but with us drafting Mays, I say why wait? Besides, you talk about NOT giving up huge plays, isnt that why so many here wanted to see Lewis replaced in the first damn place? Not only that but if Mays was to start mid season or later, that would be even worse than starting him week one.

Let the rookies start week one, make their mistakes early in the season and within a few games, they'll be more relaxed and comfortable and ready to kick ass. Starting a rookie mid season is the worse thing that you can do especially if you're in the playoff hunt because you're now depending on that rookie not to make the same mistakes that the guy he's replacing made but the problem with that is that there would be more pressure on the rookies later in the season as starters as opposed to the beginning of the season when every team is at 0-0.

Oh well, at least all three will be starting in my season in 2K5. :)

Comment

Hopefully, Iupati and Rachal are our starting OG's come week one.

As for Davis, using the noise in a stadium as an excuse is lame. They should be watching the ball, not listening to fans besides RT has been a weak link since Scott Gragg and I believe that you either start the player from week one or let him sit an entire year.
                I'm still split on if I would start Davis week one or not but sitting him against the Seahawks due to crowd noise is a valid reason. We have seen the last few years that you give the defense a huge advantage on snap count if they the o-line is staring down the ball.

Quite honestly, if he's not ready enough to start at RT week one then we shouldnt have drafted him over Buluga. Staley was drafted in 2007 and started all 16 games at RT. If Davis cant do the same, then I see trading up two spots to draft him as being a mistake and a failure. No player is going to learn a damn thing sitting on a bench watching others. Let Davis start and get the chemistry and consistency he needs in order to be a damn good RT.
                Hard to compare Staley to Davis due to the fact that Joe was a senior, coming out of college, and was two years older compared to Davis. Also remember two seasons ago Chilo was put into the line-up, his rookie season, midway through the season and there was a huge difference in the run game when he stepped in.

Comment

• Nice blog blurb on Iupati by Tim Kawakami. Like Brent said above hard not to see him in the starting line up on opening day.
                  http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...camp-tid-bits/
                  Favorite part:
                  And Iupati isn’t just some load. He can move, he can drive, and he absolutely wiped those guys out a couple of times.

Iupati also looked very natural in the team drills, with no noticeable drop-off (and maybe an elevation) when he stepped in with the “1s” after Baas’ injury.

All I saw was the guy in the 77 jersey moving wherever he wanted to go, and running backs having plenty of space when they went in the same direction.
                  I'm ready for the Samoan Bulldozer to clear some space this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                    Samoan Bulldozer
                    we need a better nickname.

Comment

• Not sure if these have been posted here before, but someone did a very nice job of posting complete career highlights of Joe Montana. From high school, to Notre Dame, to all of his big moments with the 49ers, and to his time with the Chiefs. It's all here. If you have some spare time, take a look.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

Comment

• So David Baas is injured...again. This guy can never stay healthy, always some small nick or the other.

Comment

• Awesome Montana highlights.

Quick question though - when he was the QB of the Chiefs and played against the 49ers, who won?

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                            So David Baas is injured...again. This guy can never stay healthy, always some small nick or the other.
                            He'll be gone after 2010 either way but him being injury prone is why I keep Wallace and ten OL on the final 53 player roster.

Comment

Awesome Montana highlights.

Quick question though - when he was the QB of the Chiefs and played against the 49ers, who won?
                              The Chiefs won 24-14. That was one of San Francisco's three losses in 1994, their Super Bowl season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                                The Chiefs won 24-14. That was one of San Francisco's three losses in 1994, their Super Bowl season.
                                Oh wow!!! I didnt even know or remember that. All I remember is them crushing the Chargers in the SB and beating the Cowboys in the NFC C. but thats it.

Did the Chiefs make the playoffs with Montana at QB?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information