This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by binary View Post
    I agree with Maiocco after watching practices. He definitely looks more confident and has more command of the Offense, but with the ball in his hands it's pretty much the same. I still see accuracy trouble and some wobbly ducks, but he'll also make a great throw every now and then. I still think he can be good for this team and it will all hinge on the Offensive line. I know better than to get my hopes up high for Smith.
    Having wobbly balls every so often isn't that big of a deal in my opinion. As long as he's making better decisions, the ball is being placed in position where only the receivers can catch it, the football isn't coming out late to his targets, and his play is decent overall, then we'll be okay.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Alex's accuracy has often been the big question. If he's making good pre-snap reads and adjustments, then the accuracy will come along as he'll be more comfortable in the pocket.

Since I live in AZ, I attended the Cardinals annual Red & White scrimmage with some friends this last Saturday. Their fans HATE Lienart - he got booed every time he didn't make a play (valid or not) and Derek Anderson looked decent in the scrimmage. Skelton looked good in flashes but definitely needs a couple seasons of backup work before he could play in the NFL.

In viewing their team, the front (Dockett, Dan Williams, Campbell) looked good but their LBs and secondary didn't look like they were meshing well.

This was all great to see as it looks like their talent and chemistry is collectively behind the Niners.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Balmer (likely) to be cut. MIssed camp today and it is unexcused.
        http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/11/10/B...31&feedID=5936
        Scotty Mac's worst draft pick. Was going through some of Barrows old blogs last season and it is sad how much Balmer has regressed. One of the articles brought up how well he did in last year's OTAs and they were expecting him to be in the starting line up by end of TC.

Comment

• Kentwan is outta here.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Would've been a huge boost if Balmer improved upon last year, would've been one more quality DL to rotate in and keep everyone fresh. Good thing is, it looks like RJF and Mitchell have picked up the slack.

Comment

• I am still pissed we took him over Kenny Phillips.

Comment

• Hilarious when Mike Singletary tells the media in a clear manner that there will be no discussion about Kentwan, and then of course the reporters proceed to ask about Kentwan.

Comment

• Scott's old profile.

Exceptionally talented but a risky prospect who is a boom or bust type.

I think we got not just a normal one but

Comment

• well, he cant beat out Demetric Evans, so I imagine he's not worth the hassle at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                      well, he cant beat out Demetric Evans, so I imagine he's not worth the hassle at this point.
                      Oh well. Not that big of a loss. We're a good defense with or without him. He had a lot of question marks when we selected him, so I wasn't expecting a lot in the first place. He was a big gamble, and it just didn't work out for the 49ers.

Comment

I am still pissed we took him over Kenny Phillips.
                        Or Tracy Porter. Or DeSean Jackson. Or Brandon Flowers. Or Calais Campbell.

The 08 draft is such a disaster right now. Only 1 decent contributor so far.

Comment

• See.....................................I told you guys that Balmer sucks and was a waste of a first round draft pick. I said it day one and like Brent was pissed off we passed on FS Kenny Phillips for him. See ya you piece of crap.

As for the 2008 NFL Draft, let's see -

Balmer - HUGE BUST
                          Rachal - will hopefully be a starter this season
                          Smith - solid depth
                          Wallace - hasnt done anything but he's cheap and with injuries on the OL, I would keep him
                          Morgan - easily the BEST of the 2008 draft
                          Grant - cant really say one way or the other as he was never even given a chance

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            I told you guys that Balmer sucks and was a waste of a first round draft pick.
                            I don't think anyone here was expecting him to be the pick.

In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe the list of people we were expecting at 29 was:

Gosder Cherilus
                            Quentin Groves
                            Kenny Phillips
                            Jerod Mayo
                            Dan Connor
                            Calais Campbell
                            Last edited by Brent; 08-12-2010, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Balmer cut countdown

3 PM on Thurs. afternoon, Balmer cut yet?

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              In fact, if I remember correctly, I believe the list of people we were expecting at 29 was:

Gosder Cherilus
                              Quentin Groves
                              Kenny Phillips
                              Jerod Mayo
                              Dan Connor
                              Calais Campbell
                              Any of those would've been preferable. Especially Mayo, wasn't he DRoYr. with Patriots?

As for the 2008 NFL Draft, let's see -

Balmer - HUGE BUST
                              Rachal - will hopefully be a starter this season
                              Smith - solid depth
                              Wallace - hasnt done anything but he's cheap and with injuries on the OL, I would keep him
                              Morgan - easily the BEST of the 2008 draft
                              Dan pretty much nailed it..... The OL is still in flux & has yet to solidify from all accts. I like that justification for keeping Wallace, cheap is an asset among so many highly paid (2 1st rounders last April) o-linemen & Heitman is showing the detrimental signs of all that wear & tear, may not make the season at C.

Wragge's an overachiever player when he gets the chance but can't back up all front 3 spots on the OL. Disagree about Rachal, we hope he can start & contribute, but I don't think he will in the long run. Singletary remembers well how he had to counsel, coddle, then yank (I think) him early last yr when he was terrible. Not as big a bust as #1 pick Balmer, but if he doesn't start, then perform to his contract he's gone. Morgan has become the jewel of the 08 draft.
                              Last edited by LizardState; 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone here was expecting him to be the pick.

Gosder Cherilus
                                Quentin Groves
                                Kenny Phillips
                                Jerod Mayo
                                Dan Connor
                                Calais Campbell

Not specifically on this forum, but I'm thinking there's alot of revisionist history going on.

I, personally wanted Groves or Curtis Lofton.

Mayo - was selected #10 so he was NEVER in the running.

Campbell - Those that I remember professing their love for him thought he would be drafted to play OLB.

Cherilus - Has been inconsistent AT BEST as he has never been able to become the teams LT.

Groves - How did he work out in Jacksonville?

Phillips - Microfracture surgery on knee and still a big question mark

Conner - May actually get a start this season, and only because Beason moved outside to replace Thomas Davis.

Other names I remember being thrown around heavily...

Phillip Merling - Apparently beats women (on season-ending IR)

Devin Thomas - Finally catching some balls. Probably wouldn't have drafted Crabs.

James Hardy - Can't even make the 2nd team in Buffalo

Limas Sweed - Likey wouldve been cut by Steelers had he not gone on IR.

It's easy to sit back now and pick players and say "We should've drafted him". The team, by all accounts needed a DE/NT type and Balmer was a risk-reward type player that fulfilled that need.

If a McCloughan selection in 2008 needs to be questioned it's that of Cody Wallace. He was picked to be a C/G. The team had Carl Nicks in for a visit but selected Wallace instead.
                                Last edited by phlysac; 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information