This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
    I posted this in another forum and think it belongs here also...
    I could see them bringing in another camp body, but I think this just assures that Miller is going to make the team as their 5th back. I think they go into the season with Robinson and Dixon as the backup RBs.

Lets pray Gore stays healthy!

Comment

• In reference to Glen Coffee retiring -

Originally posted by Borat
      Don't you need to have a career before you can retire?
      LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac
        Obviously there has been alot of mention regarding Brian Westbrook and Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately, I feel that Westbrook's injury has kept him from getting a job and although I wouldn't mind Lynch, for what he'd cost, I'd prefer to ask the Bills about Fred Jackson.

With that said, the player that I hope Baalke inquires about is Cleveland Browns RB James Davis. He was primed for a successful stint as starter last season before he was injured and new GM Mike Holmgren loves "his guy" Montarrio Hardesty which puts Davis behind both he and Jerome Harrison.

Other players the 49ers should inquire about and watch the waiver wire for are these #3 or deeper RBs around the league. The majority of these players are roughly 220 lbs with a North-South running style...

I bolded the players I'm most interested in.

Buffalo Bills
        Joique Bell
        Fred Jackson
        Marshawn Lynch

Patriots
        Thomas Clayton

Jets
        Joe McKnight
        Chauncey Washington

Ravens
        Willis McGahee

Browns
        James Davis

Colts
        Mike Hart
        Javarris James

Titans
        LeGarrette Blount
        Stafon Johnson

Chiefs
        Javarris Williams

Cowboys
        Lonyae Miller

Giants
        Andre Brown
        Gartrell Johnson

Eagles
        Charles Scott

Packers
        James Starks

Vikings
        Ian Johnson

Panthers
        Mike Goodson

Saints
        Chris Ivory
        Majority of players you listed I never even heard of and are any of these guys speed/finesse backs? Since we still have two power backs (Gore/Dixon), I want a damn speed/finesse back. I dont think they are but if Lynch/McGahee fit this criteria, then im all for trading for one of them especially since neither the Bills or Ravens have any leverage in regards to what they would be asking for. A fourth round draft pick is the highest I would offer for either one. If they dont fit in that criteria and if Westbrook does, I would sign him. Even at this stage of his career, Westbrook is still better than Robinson/Dixon and would be the finesse back that we should already have. I like Singletary but he's focused way too much on power. There's going to be times when speed and finesse will be needed and with Coffee retiring, now is the time to acquire a finesse back.

As for other players listed -

I dont see Clayton going anywhere because we had him already and was let go so why would we trade for him back? That would be stupid. Blount decided to go to TEN because he'll most likely make their roster where as with us, he would be fighting for a spot besides I doubt TEN trades him anyway. Fred Jackson is expected to start in BUF and isnt going anywhere. The Jets just drafted McKnight so scratch him off the list and I dont think Washington is going anywhere either. Mike Hart would be a waste as he's been more injury prone than Lynch/McGahee. Dont see the Giants trading either RB you listed. The rest I have no clue who the are.

Like I said though, if Lynch/McGahee is a finesse back (even though I dont think they are), I would try to acquire which ever one of them has the better contract. If not, I simply keep my draft pick and sign Westbrook instead. His veteran leadership will be a positive too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
          Who is going to unseat Rachal? He's been holding down his performance pretty well and last time I heard is having a decent camp and his job isn't in danger.
          I said hopefully because didnt he start last season and was then benched? I want him to start and become good which is why I said hopefully but it all remains to be seen. And TC doesnt mean anything nor does pre-season games. Majority of the time, players play the opposite of what they play in the regular season.

Comment

• Marshawn Lynch would be an awesome guy to bring in, but I would be shocked if they traded for any one. I imagine they roll with who they have. They have people to sign, they can't be throwing around money to new guys in a trade.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
              I said hopefully because didnt he start last season and was then benched? I want him to start and become good which is why I said hopefully but it all remains to be seen. And TC doesnt mean anything nor does pre-season games. Majority of the time, players play the opposite of what they play in the regular season.
              I think he almost got benched in favor of Synder last year. Training camp and preseason doesn't mean anything? You sure about that?

Regardless, it doesn't matter. His job hasn't been in jeopardy. No reports of that have come out.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                I think he almost got benched in favor of Synder last year. Training camp and preseason doesn't mean anything? You sure about that?

Regardless, it doesn't matter. His job hasn't been in jeopardy. No reports of that have come out.
                TC and pre-season does mean something but its not a guarantee on how players will play during the season. Just look at Jamarcus Russell last pre-season. Enough said.

As for Rachal, according to NFL.com, he played 16 games and started 15 of them but I remember reading here that said he was benched by Singletary. I guess not. Either way, im hoping he starts because if not, the 2008 NFL Draft is going to be a huge waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  TC and pre-season does mean something but its not a guarantee on how players will play during the season. Just look at Jamarcus Russell last pre-season. Enough said.
                  Whoever said it was a guarantee? Regardless, I'm not one to assume something negative is in the cards when positive results are coming out of reports.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                  -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                  Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Coffee quits football

This is just devastating. I had a sinking feeling when he didn't show up to practice Thursday, like maybe he's done -- & he is. I wish I was wrong.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2...uits-football/

When he was drafted from Bama he was being compared to a young Marion Barber III with the same running style, he had a terrific preseason last yr. with a great future ahead of him. No one more than I do realizes just how intense FB can be at Alabama, the intense pressure derived from the very high expectations there when Saban took over from Mike Shula, sounds like he just burned out on it.

Pretty bad news for the 9ers offensive depth. This pushes 6th rd. pick Dixon will have to drink from the firehose in the backup role & Robinson will have to get more work too. Gore can't carry the full load through 16 games, too much for even a Pro Bowl RB to do.

Silver linings: At least he did it now so the team can receive compensation, IDK what. Good news for 9er rookies, one less roster spot filled. Is the team due another roster exemption? Supplementary draft pick? I think they will take any UDFA or waiver wire RBs they can find in the upcoming wks.

At least he left with his head up, after last wk's events I think Balmer will be leaving the team with Singletary's foot in his ass.

Comment

• http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/v...e-747cdf3f92f8

Dixon has a sense of humor about understanding the playbook and terminology. He really needs to hit the books now.

Robinson has now had 4 years to graduate RB school but has very little to go on, especially last 2 years.

Comment

• Should have never gotten rid of Thomas Clayton, imo. He always looked better to me than Coffee did last year.

I think some people are exaggerating how bad the situation with the 49ers really is. Balmer was the 5th DE on the depth chart and was not likely to be getting much playing time and Coffee definitely was not impressive as the #2 RB last year and if I ran the 49ers he would have been the 4th back anyway. That's right, I prefer MRob to Coffee and always have. MRob has always looked decent when he actually gets carries.

Comment

• I've read reports that Coffee is leaving to peruse a calling to the ministry. Where as that may come as little consolation to many, if it truly is the case, I wish him the very best and respect his decision.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                            This is just devastating. I had a sinking feeling when he didn't show up to practice Thursday, like maybe he's done -- & he is. I wish I was wrong.
                            Devastating? Um, no, it's not devastating. It sucks that we wasted a nice draft pick on a *****, but it's not devastating. I mean, we can find similar production off the street.

Originally posted by CJSchneider View Post
                            I've read reports that Coffee is leaving to peruse a calling to the ministry. Where as that may come as little consolation to many, if it truly is the case, I wish him the very best and respect his decision.
                            So he left professional football to pursue pedophilia?
                            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• I mean, we can find similar production off the street.
                              That's the most profoundly ignorant statement I've ever seen on this page. Almost as dumb as assuming all priests or ministers are pedophiles.

Coffee was being called an emerging superstar after his great preseason a yr. ago. Devastating is the appropriate word to use here in terms of the RB depth.

You say "we" ? Just when I thought we had purged all the fuckheads. -rep for douchebaggery.
                              Last edited by LizardState; 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                That's the most profoundly ignorant statement I've ever seen on this page. Almost as dumb as assuming all priests or ministers are pedophiles.
                                Sweet. I'm famous.

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                Coffee was being called an emerging superstar after his great preseason a yr. ago. Devastating is the appropriate word to use here in terms of the RB depth.
                                Wow. He had a solid game against the Raiders' vanilla, pre-season run-defense. Wheeeeeee. I guess that makes him the next Frank Gore. Sorry, but replacing that "emerging superstar" 2.7 ypc in real football games can be done quite easily.

Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                                You say "we" ? Just when I thought we had purged all the fuckheads. -rep for douchebaggery.
                                Yeah, sometimes I say "we." I've paid for that right. I've paid A LOT for that right. I can see why it bothers you though. You CAN'T do it since you're both a 49ers fan and a Cowboys fan. Which, by the way, is gaaaaay.

Please neg rep me as much as you like. I'm not one of those guys that will neg rep you back because rep is lame.

Sincerely,

Borat, SWDC's top douchebag fuckhead!
                                The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information