This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    Right, that would have been a surprise to me seeing as how the only free agents we've been talking about all offseason and their future with the team were Manny Lawson, Dashon Goldson, and Vernon Davis.
    That's why I checked that quickly because there's no way we would have overlooked him being an UFA in 2011. Hopefully, we'll get those three guys extended because we'll need the franchise tag for Franklin.

Originally posted by binary View Post
    If anyone is gonna start over Lewis, it's gonna be Reggie. Rachal blows, it's his third year an no improvement....for a freaking GUARD. Putting Baas at RG when Heitmann returns might be the move to make. Staley, Iupati, Heit, Baas, Davis are really our best linemen, put them out there on the same field.

Awesome if we sign Westbrook, there's the speed/quick back we've been wanting. He probably won't be too productive anymore, but teams will have to account for him and his speed.
    You really do love Reggie Smith, dont you? Actually, I think if anyone starts over Lewis, it will be Mays because he's set at SS where as I could Smith moving to FS if the team doesnt re-sign Goldson. I cant see Mays playing FS despite the fact that both safety spots are the same in Manusky's defense.

I agree with you about Rachal but I would give him the rest of the pre-season. If he plays like he did against Indy, I would probably trade him too and eliminate the dead weight. Baas/Snyder and even Sims at OG would play better than Rachal has.

And we did sign Westbrook. One year worth $1.25m plus another $1.25m in incentives. Rams actually offered him more but he obviously didnt want to go there and I can definitely understand why.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
      If anyone is gonna start over Lewis, it's gonna be Reggie. Rachal blows, it's his third year an no improvement....for a freaking GUARD. Putting Baas at RG when Heitmann returns might be the move to make. Staley, Iupati, Heit, Baas, Davis are really our best linemen, put them out there on the same field.

Awesome if we sign Westbrook, there's the speed/quick back we've been wanting. He probably won't be too productive anymore, but teams will have to account for him and his speed.
      Smith played well Sunday. He broke up a TD pass by Peyton Manning on the 1st drive, then scored a TD off a tipped pass. And i believe Singletary said he was having a good camp. I think Smith takes over Roman's spot as the 3rd safety, i expect Mays to mostly play ST's and serve as depth, with Taylor making the roster and serving as a gameday inactive. We tend to keep a lot of DBs.

Other standouts from the game were RJF, Dixon, Kyle Williams, Diyral Briggs, Bruce Davis, and Mike Balogun. I didn't focus on him but i heard Baas did well at Center too. Of course you have to take it with a grain of salt, but its encouraging at least.
      Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Our biggest weaknesses on D are consistent pass rush and pass coverage. I like Smith because he's our best Safety when it comes to coverage, he's pretty natural at it. He can even man up on a WR if you absolutely need him to, which you can't do with any of the other guys. Stinks he had a rash of injuries early on, but it seems like he's healthy now and having the best camp of all the Safeties.

I'm just curious, can someone tell me why we never tried Robinson at fullback? He seems like he'd be a pretty good new-age FB...he can catch pretty well for someone of his build.

Comment

• back to back good moves by the 9ers :/

Getting anything for Balmer is a win and Westbrook while old, can still be effective as a change of pace back I think

Comment

• Originally posted by fenikz View Post
            back to back good moves by the 9ers :/

Getting anything for Balmer is a win and Westbrook while old, can still be effective as a change of pace back I think
            Yup, he can step in on third downs and keep Gore fresh. The move is great considering what they will be asking him to do.

Comment

• *proudly banned from .com for 5 years*

'Ninerholic for Life

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                I'm just curious, can someone tell me why we never tried Robinson at fullback? He seems like he'd be a pretty good new-age FB...he can catch pretty well for someone of his build.
                They did when he first showed up. He was too weak to run block and, like a RB, you need vision to be a FB, something Robinson lacks entirely.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  Woohoo!!! Team officially signed Westbrook and he's already on the team's roster page. :)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ian-westbrook/

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html

Balmer actually bought his way out of SF for $80,000 which is crappy considering the team could have gotten about $1m back in bonus money. Granted, we get a 6th rounder but I rather have the extra million. Oh well, either way, im happy he's gone.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...re-guarantees/
                  Yay to Westbrook! That guy sank my fantasy team last season (no one cares) but excited to have him on the team. Still has enough left to be a nice insurance policy behind Gore and will give the 49ers offense another look when Gore takes a breather.

I am fascinated to see what Balmer's side of the story is to give up a bonus to get out of Camp Singletary. Read some reports that he wasn't happy that he wasn't at top the depth chart but wanna hear him speak about it.

Mike Sando posted a scouting report on Westbrook:
                  http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post...nges-the-49ers
                  Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?; 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    They did when he first showed up. He was too weak to run block and, like a RB, you need vision to be a FB, something Robinson lacks entirely.
                    A little off topic from M-Rob but anyone notice how much Raye used Walker and Curtis, not sure if I saw Byham out there, at FB and actually had them lead blocking for the back? Something I have wanted to see an OC do for awhile and Walker did a pretty good job as a blocker. But more inclined to see Walker out there since it gives them a better option then Norris in the flat or over the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                      A little off topic from M-Rob but anyone notice how much Raye used Walker and Curtis, not sure if I saw Byham out there, at FB and actually had them lead blocking for the back? Something I have wanted to see an OC do for awhile and Walker did a pretty good job as a blocker. But more inclined to see Walker out there since it gives them a better option then Norris in the flat or over the middle.
                      If Walker can run block, that would be incredible. I support anything that gets Norris off the field and evolves the Offense beyond the old school I-form stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                        I am fascinated to see what Balmer's side of the story is to give up a bonus to get out of Camp Singletary. Read some reports that he wasn't happy that he wasn't at top the depth chart but wanna hear him speak about it.
                        I doubt we'll hear a whole lot.

Comment

• Our biggest weaknesses on D are consistent pass rush and pass coverage.
                          Went from like 28th or 29th in sacks to like 4th in the NFL last yr, not too shabby at all.

Improvement is still needed to keep from backsliding. Overall in pass defense they need to maintain their top 5 in sacks status while integrating the youth & speed into the secondary. Reggie Smith replacing Roman would be a positive step, & Tarell Brown looks good as their 3rd corner to take over if Spencer can't be resigned in a yr. or Clements continues to decline in productivity as he was last yr. before the fractured shoulder blade during a punt return (note to DC: don't use your highest paid DBs to return any more punts!). YayArea may be right about a new young CB as a priority next draft too -- Peterson will go too high but Amukamara or Dowling, both over 6-1 & 205, would look great in scarlet & gold IMO.

Comment

• I dont see how Balmer could complain about not being at the top of the depth chart. After all, he sucks and hasnt done a damn thing in two years. Happy that bust is gone. And if Rachal continues to suck it up in the next three pre-season games, he should be following him.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                              Went from like 28th or 29th in sacks to like 4th in the NFL last yr, not too shabby at all.

Improvement is still needed to keep from backsliding. Overall in pass defense they need to maintain their top 5 in sacks status while integrating the youth & speed into the secondary. Reggie Smith replacing Roman would be a positive step, & Tarell Brown looks good as their 3rd corner to take over if Spencer can't be resigned in a yr. or Clements continues to decline in productivity as he was last yr. before the fractured shoulder blade during a punt return (note to DC: don't use your highest paid DBs to return any more punts!). YayArea may be right about a new young CB as a priority next draft too -- Peterson will go too high but Amukamara or Dowling, both over 6-1 & 205, would look great in scarlet & gold IMO.
                              Personally, I believe that our defense staying top five will have more to do with Smith and the offense than it does the defense because if the offense can score points and maintain long drives, the defense will be well rested and dominant but if the offense sucks, the defense will definitely suffer from being on the field too much.

Brown will be our nickelback for years since I dont think he's good enough to be a full time starter. Spencer is under contract through 2012 and isnt going anywhere. Clements will most likely be gone after 2010 unless he has an awesome year. I'm looking at Panthers CB Richard Marshall in FA and a CB in the first round for sure.

Our pass rush was good, consistent and better than what people thought it was last season. Without a dominant pass rusher, we were still 5th in the league and thats pretty damn good in my opinion. If all the starters stay healthy, we should be a top ten defense, top five if the offense scores points and controls the clock.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                And if Rachal continues to suck it up in the next three pre-season games, he should be following him.
                                because we should make snap judgments about players like that... really, dan?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information