Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
    Rambling thoughts/ideas heading into the offseason:

    OC
    With Martz out we got to start again. Not really sure who is out there but we know what Sing is looking for. I would like to get a coordinator that actually has a resume and experience working with QBs. That is why Scott Linehan isn't such a bad idea. But please, for the love God, it better not be Greg Knapp.

    Another guy I wouldn't mind is Russ Grimm. Matches up exactly with Singletary's philosophy and vision for this offense. But not sure if he will be looking for a head coaching job after the postseason.

    Long shot, for me, would be Broncos QB coach Jeremey Bates. He did a great job working with Jay Cutler. Only problem is he is 33 and not sure if it would be a good idea to pair him up with an inexperienced coach in Singletary.

    QB situation
    I think Hill has earned the job but looks like the 49ers will explore their options. Looking on the free agent market the only guy I would want to go after is Garcia. I was wanting Cassell early on but I don't want to give up draft picks for him. Slim chance but if the Seahawks cut Hasselbeck SF should push hard for him.

    In the draft if Bradford or Stafford slid to down to the 10th pick SF has to take one of those guys. Even with the failure to develop Alex Smith we have seen how valuable the QB position is to this team and I think for the long term health of this franchise they need to get a signal caller.

    I do hope Alex Smith stays. He has familiarity with the WRs and he is still only 24 years old. I also hope SF grabs a QB late and tries to develop a long term back-up.

    Free Agency
    Wouldn't mind making a run at Jordan Gross to improve our tackle situation. Albert Haynesworth is my number one target. He is a monster and he has proven this season he is not a fluke. Also it was frustrating watching Patrick and the other linebackers not being able to fill their gaps fast enough because of the line not being able to command double teams.

    For once I think we are set at WR. Looks like there won't be a giant remodeling job down at that spot. I would like to take a flier on the Jags Reggie Williams over Bryant Johnson.

    Draft
    Too early to tell but go BPA. Here is my early rankings by position:
    1. DE/OLB
    2. FS
    3. QB
    4. RT

    If SF was going to take a RT I would rather move down in the draft and add a few more picks. I don't believe in giving top 10 money to a RT. Plus look at the success Denver(okay 12th pick but still), Carolina, and Atlanta had landing tackles late in the first round of last years draft.
    OC wise, all the coordinators I want arent going anywhere which sucks for us but whoever it turns out to be, im hoping he's at the very least knows what he's doing and has experience.

    QB wise, I woudnt go after Hasselbeck because he's 33 years old and has a back injury. If signing Holt doesnt make any sense then neither does signing Hasselbeck. I would keep Smith regardless and have Hill as the starter going into 2009. I wouldnt mind SF going after Cassel if he's a UFA but we would have to get McDaniels to be our OC because otherwise, he'll have to learn a new offense and that wont help us at all. Basically, it would either be them together or nothing. I dont care what QB is in the draft, no way in hell should we draft one at number 10. Not only will that QB want more money than what the slot is worth, it will show that drafting Smith was a failure even though I have to admit that Nolan screwed him up more than not having consistency at OC. Plus, the rookie QB will have to learn the system and who knows how long that would take. Granted, they may be tempted because of the success of Ryan and Flacco but just because they worked out for their respective teams doesnt mean that the same thing will work out for us. I do agree with bringing back Garcia as the veteran backup but no way would I start him over Hill.

    FA wise, I wouldnt mind getting Jordan Gross but no way in hell do I want Haynesworth. Trust me, once he cashes in, he'll go back to being a bust. Few DT's have been as good after getting paid as they were in their contract year. Haynesworth had five years where he was a bust and two good years but only because both 2007 and 2008 have been contract years. Sorry, he would be a huge waste of money and cap room. People bash me fr wanting to spend a huge amount of money on several players but at least the players I want have been consistent year in and year out.

    My targets remain the same - DE / OLB Terrell Suggs and OLB / ILB Karlos Dansby. Other players im hoping for are RB Darren Sproles and even though he may miss 2009, I wold probably try to get the Bengals RT Stacy Andrews because he'll be cheap since he's coming off an injury and while he may not be 100% for 2009, he will be for 2010.

    Draft wise, it all depends on who we sign in FA even though I want Malcolm Jenkins the most because if he somehow falls to the tenth spot, he'll be a steal where as others may be a reach.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      My targets remain the same - DE / OLB Terrell Suggs and OLB / ILB Karlos Dansby. Other players im hoping for are RB Darren Sproles and even though he may miss 2009, I wold probably try to get the Bengals RT Stacy Andrews because he'll be cheap since he's coming off an injury and while he may not be 100% for 2009, he will be for 201
      Seriously Dan Suggs and Dansjby won't change anything. Spikes is about as productive as Dansby at that spot. Haralson had as many sacks as Suggs, also Justin Smith had more tackles and one less sack and I bet he had more pressures.
      Originally posted by 49erNation85
      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Menardo75
        Seriously Dan Suggs and Dansjby won't change anything. Spikes is about as productive as Dansby at that spot. Haralson had as many sacks as Suggs, also Justin Smith had more tackles and one less sack and I bet he had more pressures.
        Spikes had a good year and did better than expected but who knows how long that's going to last. Dansby (27) can cover, play the run and pass rush and would be an upgrade over Spikes (32).

        Haralson had a good year as well while Suggs did have a down year but the difference is that Suggs is consistent while that remains to be seen with Haralson. Besides, if everyone wants a pass rushing OLB in the draft yet dont want Suggs, I honestly dont know why anyone wants a pass rushing OLB in the draft to begin with or vice versa.

        Smith did good and im happy we signed him. Either way, our defense should be better in 2009 than it's been the last several years.

        Comment


        • It will be better because we are running a true hybrid and have the guys to do it. Dansby honestly is very under utilized as a 3-4 inside backer. He is best as a 4-3 SAM imo. Honestly Suggs won't give us anything that we don't already have.
          Originally posted by 49erNation85
          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

          Comment


          • Positions of need from MM:

            --When asked a closed-ended question about whether he was prepared to address the Alex Smith situation, Singletary said, "No, I'm not."

            --Singletary was asked about the team's needs as the 49ers head into the offseason. He said:

            Quarterback: He said he is not prepared to name Shaun Hill as the starter because if the 49ers acquired somebody better, that person would end up starting over Hill.
            Offensive line: The 49ers need a right tackle, but Singletary said a tackle or guard would be on his wish list.
            Pass rusher: Singletary said you can never have enough pass-rushers. They might even look for a couple of them.
            Safety: He said the safeties have done a good job, but they'll look for a safety with "some more range."

            --On the QB situation, Singletary said it is his priority to get the best 11 players on the field. When asked if it's possible that the 49ers' starting QB in 2009 is not currently on the roster, Singletary answered, "You're right."
            Get Mark Roman out of San Francisco.

            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Brent View Post
              Positions of need from MM:



              Get Mark Roman out of San Francisco.
              Mike Mike oh man this off-season will be interesting.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                Mike Mike oh man this off-season will be interesting.
                MM = Matt Maiocco

                Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                Comment


                • I agree with Singletary in regards to wanting a RT, a FS with more range and a pass rushing OLB but not about the QB position.

                  Seriously, who's going to be a UFA that's worth overpaying? I dont think any QB will be worth going after and I would only go after Cassel if I can bring in McDaniels as the new OC but thats not going to happen.

                  Draft wise, no way in hell would I draft a QB at number ten. That QB will have the same thing in common with Smith and that's that both of them will be learning a new offensive system.

                  I'm excited and worried at the same time as to what's going to happen this off-season but I do agree with Menardo that it will be interesting.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    Draft wise, no way in hell would I draft a QB at number ten. That QB will have the same thing in common with Smith and that's that both of them will be learning a new offensive system.

                    I'm excited and worried at the same time as to what's going to happen this off-season but I do agree with Menardo that it will be interesting.
                    So you're saying that teams should never draft QBs because they'll have to learn everything again from a pro playbook. Stupid.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dhp318 View Post
                      So you're saying that teams should never draft QBs because they'll have to learn everything again from a pro playbook. Stupid.
                      No I would say it because I think we have two guys that I could get it done.
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

                      Comment


                      • just read a thing on espn that has sing saying hill will have to competet w/ another qb. funny...he never mentioned smith, martin or jto. that means he is bringing somebody via free agency. odds are someone older. maybe garcia, collins or batch.
                        also, he talks about safety, pass rusher and o line help.
                        i think as a oc he should bring and interview the following guys:
                        chris peterson - boise st.
                        mike mccoy - c.panthers
                        gil haskell - seattle
                        free agents:
                        qb- jeff garcia: why not? don't say his age. he can mentor hill and whomever sf decides to bring in for one solid season.
                        wr - shuan mcdonald : bryant johnson only signed a one yr deal. he would do great here w/ bruce and morgan.
                        de -terrell suggs : he isn't going to come cheap but he could help push sf line to the top in short time.
                        s - mike brown : he has had a few injurys but played decent this year. he could come cheap and is better than roman.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dhp318
                          So you're saying that teams should never draft QBs because they'll have to learn everything again from a pro playbook. Stupid.
                          No, im saying that because we drafted Smith and paid him a lot of money and because he'll only be 25 in May, spending money on another rookie QB and the tenth pick would be a waste on both counts.

                          We have Hill (who should be the starter) and Smith. We need a veteran backup QB and that's it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by chapo123
                            just read a thing on espn that has sing saying hill will have to competet w/ another qb. funny...he never mentioned smith, martin or jto. that means he is bringing somebody via free agency. odds are someone older. maybe garcia, collins or batch.
                            also, he talks about safety, pass rusher and o line help.
                            i think as a oc he should bring and interview the following guys:
                            chris peterson - boise st.
                            mike mccoy - c.panthers
                            gil haskell - seattle
                            free agents:
                            qb- jeff garcia: why not? don't say his age. he can mentor hill and whomever sf decides to bring in for one solid season.
                            wr - shuan mcdonald : bryant johnson only signed a one yr deal. he would do great here w/ bruce and morgan.
                            de -terrell suggs : he isn't going to come cheap but he could help push sf line to the top in short time.
                            s - mike brown : he has had a few injurys but played decent this year. he could come cheap and is better than roman.
                            Wouldnt have a problem with Garcia and of course, I want Suggs. Brown hasnt been fully healthy in years and I dont see how he's all of a sudden going to be. Besides, we dont need another injury prone player on our team. McDonald is okay but I would much rather re-sign Johnson who started who play well once Sullivan was benched and Hill was the QB.

                            Comment


                            • I'd rather draft a young FS.


                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                                No, im saying that because we drafted Smith and paid him a lot of money and because he'll only be 25 in May, spending money on another rookie QB and the tenth pick would be a waste on both counts.

                                We have Hill (who should be the starter) and Smith. We need a veteran backup QB and that's it.
                                I agree with the vet back up QB, but that may not me it.




                                2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information