Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by nfldraftpost View Post
    I think Nate Davis needs another full year of sitting on the sidelines, give him plenty of play time this pre-season and see if he improves. That 60 yard pass was a thing of beauty but that was about the only highlight. That run when he was a yard short for the 1st down did make Sing MAD!
    Problem is that I'm not sure he's going to get a 3rd year. Given the organisation has seen him for 2 preseasons now and arent really willing to endorse his future is a concern to me. Throwing a beautiful ball is about 10% of what a QB needs to do and i guess we're not sold on the other 90%


    me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

    Comment


    • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
      I tend to disagree. I think RJF is employing Manusky's 1-gap penetrating NT style quite well. He may not be the Jay Ratliff-epitomy of that style but, I feel, in his first 3 months at the position, is doing tremendously well.

      I'm quite impressed and excited with the 2nd team D-line of...

      LDE - Khalif Mitchell
      NT - Ricky Jean Francois
      RDE - Demetric Evans
      I think Ray McDonald would be the 2nd LDE ahead of Mitchell.

      It seems like we have a lot of roster battles at OLB and DE this year.

      OLB- Do we keep 4 with LaBoy/Briggs or keep both? They've both shown some good things in the preseason games. Bruce Davis has also played well but there's too many players in front of him, he will probably make the PS. On a side note, Haralson has been a total nonfactor. I really hope Brooks takes his job.

      DL- Do we keep Mitchell on as the 7th DL or risk losing him on the PS? Maiocco noted that he played both NT and DE so that versatility might help his roster chances.

      Not to mention the OL. I don't recall Snyder playing a snap at OT these first 2 games. It looks like he's the backup RG to a strugglnig Rachal. Do both Sims and Boone make it or do we cut one of them and keep Snyder as an OT/OG? Do we keep all 3?

      There will definitely be some interesting roster decisions being made over the next few weeks.

      There will be some interesting
      Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ninerfan
        Problem is that I'm not sure he's going to get a 3rd year. Given the organisation has seen him for 2 preseasons now and arent really willing to endorse his future is a concern to me. Throwing a beautiful ball is about 10% of what a QB needs to do and i guess we're not sold on the other 90%
        I think the reason why Singletary called Davis out has to do more with keeping Carr happy as the backup despite the fact that he didnt play at all yesterday. Davis is only in his second season and still has two more seasons to go in his rookie contract and I'll be shocked if the team was to let him go before his rookie contract expires.

        Not only that but if Smith fails this season, Davis becomes our only option because it sure as hell isnt going to be Carr and even if it was, he would be a one or two year stopgap at best. I'll stand behind what I would do if it was up to me, stay with Smith but if Smith fails in 2010 and is allowed to walk, I go with Davis in 2011 before I even think about using another first round draft pick on yet another rookie QB. As for Carr, ugh.

        Originally posted by 49ersfan_87
        I think Ray McDonald would be the 2nd LDE ahead of Mitchell.

        It seems like we have a lot of roster battles at OLB and DE this year.

        OLB- Do we keep 4 with LaBoy/Briggs or keep both? They've both shown some good things in the preseason games. Bruce Davis has also played well but there's too many players in front of him, he will probably make the PS. On a side note, Haralson has been a total nonfactor. I really hope Brooks takes his job.

        DL- Do we keep Mitchell on as the 7th DL or risk losing him on the PS? Maiocco noted that he played both NT and DE so that versatility might help his roster chances.

        Not to mention the OL. I don't recall Snyder playing a snap at OT these first 2 games. It looks like he's the backup RG to a strugglnig Rachal. Do both Sims and Boone make it or do we cut one of them and keep Snyder as an OT/OG? Do we keep all 3?

        There will definitely be some interesting roster decisions being made over the next few weeks.

        There will be some interesting
        OLB - How is Brooks going to start over Haralson if he's still out with a lacerated kidney? However, I do agree though as I would rather see Lawson and Brooks as the starters. Is there any chance that Laboy/Briggs/Davis can play inside because if so, I would rather keep any one of them over Wilhelm.

        DL - With Balmer long gone, I can see Mitchell making the roster as the 3rd NT and 4th/5th DE unless we pick up a veteran or a player who gets released during final cuts.

        OL - Am I the only one who would start Baas/Snyder over Rachal at this point in time? Watching him yesterday, he's not good at all. Iupati plays better than he does and he's a rookie which is kind of sad. And here's a wild thought I had earlier today, trading Rachal and a draft pick to NE for Logan Mankins. Sure, Mankins plays LG but im sure he can play RG if necessary. Imagine that OL - Staley, Iupati, Baas/Heitmann, Mankins and Davis. I wouldnt even mention this but with the Patriots trading for an OL yesterday from the Falcons and that it looks like the Jets are about to extend Mangold, I would at the very least inquire about Mankins and see how much he's asking for. With Rachal average at best and Baas a UFA in 2011, I think that trading and extending Mankins would be money well spent especially since I think the team will let Lawson and Goldson walk as UFA's in 2011.

        What do you guys think?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          OLB - How is Brooks going to start over Haralson if he's still out with a lacerated kidney?
          I meant when he gets healthy.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
            I think Ray McDonald would be the 2nd LDE ahead of Mitchell.
            McDonald only sees the field (at least thus far in preseason) as a DT in 4 man fronts with the 1st team. He only plays in obvious passing situations. So his ranking on the depth chart as the #3 DE is a bit deceiving.

            Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
            OLB- Do we keep 4 with LaBoy/Briggs or keep both? They've both shown some good things in the preseason games. Bruce Davis has also played well but there's too many players in front of him, he will probably make the PS. On a side note, Haralson has been a total nonfactor. I really hope Brooks takes his job.
            If Brooks isn't healthy enough to start the season it may be a moot point. But if both LaBoy and Briggs continue to play the way they have, I think they should keep both. You can never have too many pass rushers. Especially if the team continues to utilize its "Sacks by Committee" approach.

            Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
            DL- Do we keep Mitchell on as the 7th DL or risk losing him on the PS? Maiocco noted that he played both NT and DE so that versatility might help his roster chances.
            At this point I don't think that Mitchell is the #7 option. He may well have played himself onto the 2nd team. Regardless, with as many teams trying to implement the 3-4 with varying success, I don't think Mitchell would clear waivers to be on the PS. In my opinion, he should make the final-53.

            Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
            Not to mention the OL. I don't recall Snyder playing a snap at OT these first 2 games. It looks like he's the backup RG to a strugglnig Rachal. Do both Sims and Boone make it or do we cut one of them and keep Snyder as an OT/OG? Do we keep all 3?
            You're correct, Barry Sims is now the #2 RT and Snyder has only taken snaps at RG. I'd love for the team to keep all 3 but if the numbers are crunched, I expect one of the final cuts to be between Sims and Boone.

            Comment


            • In my opinion, this is how the final roster is looking...

              Bolded are the positions I feel that are filled with my list

              QB – Alex Smith | David Carr | Nate Davis (3)
              RB – Frank Gore | Brian Westbrook | Anthony Dixon (3)
              FB – Moran Norris |
              WR – Michael Crabtree | Josh Morgan | Ted Ginn | Kyle Williams | Dominique Zeigler |
              TE – Vernon Davis | Delanie Walker | Nate Byham (3)
              LT – Joe Staley |
              LG – Mike Iupati | Tony Wragge (2)
              C – Eric Heitmann | David Baas (2)
              RG – Chilo Rachal | Adam Snyder (2)

              RT – Anthony Davis |


              DE – Justin Smith | Aubrayo Franklin | Ray McDonald | Demetric Evans |
              NT – Aubrayo Franklin | Ricky Jean Francois (2)

              OLB – Manny Lawson | Parys Haralson | Ahmad Brooks |
              ILB – Patrick Willis | Takeo Spikes | Matt Wilhelm | NaVorro Bowman (4)

              CB – Nate Clements | Shawntae Spencer | Tarell Brown | Karl Paymah

              S – Dashon Goldson | Michael Lewis | Reggie Smith | Taylor Mays |


              K – Joe Nedney (1)
              P – Andy Lee (1)
              LS - Brian Jennings (1)
              ST – Michael Robinson (1)



              That's 48/53

              These are the 10 players I believe will be battling for the 5 remaining spots. Special Teams value is always a major part of the final selection process.

              1. Khalif Mitchell - DE/NT
              2. Alex Boone - LT/RT
              3. Barry Sims -LT/RT
              4. Diyral Briggs - OLB
              5. Travis LaBoy - OLB
              6. Phillip Adams - CB
              7. Jason Hill - WR
              8. Curtis Taylor -S
              9. Brit Miller - FB
              10. Jehuu Caulcrick - FB

              If it were up to me (AS OF TODAY) I'd keep the players in red. Still two games to change/influence my opinion.
              Last edited by phlysac; 08-23-2010, 09:46 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                1. Khalif Mitchell - DE/NT
                2. Alex Boone - LT/RT
                3. Barry Sims -LT/RT
                4. Diyral Briggs - OLB
                5. Travis LaBoy - OLB
                6. Phillip Adams - CB
                7. Jason Hill - WR
                8. Curtis Taylor -S
                9. Brit Miller - FB
                10. Jehuu Caulcrick - FB
                I think Mitchell ends up on the P-squad if they keep 5 OLBs.

                Also, I believe they'll keep Taylor on the 53 because of what he offers on ST and they probably dont want to lose him with the potential for both our starting safeties to be off the team in 2011

                Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                Comment


                • How secure is Evans' spot on this team? I mean, he hasn't looked all that impressive this offseason while Mitchell has plus Mitchell can play NT as well as DE.
                  Last edited by abaddon41_80; 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    I think Mitchell ends up on the P-squad if they keep 5 OLBs.

                    Also, I believe they'll keep Taylor on the 53 because of what he offers on ST and they probably dont want to lose him with the potential for both our starting safeties to be off the team in 2011
                    I don't see ANY way that Khalif Mitchell clears waivers to be placed on the PS.

                    Who would Taylor make the roster over?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                      How secure is Evans' spot on this team? I mean, he hasn't looked all that impressive this offseason while Mitchell has plus Mitchell can play NT as well as DE.
                      I'd rather Mitchell be kept, as well. But I think the team would rather keep Evans.

                      We'll see.

                      Comment


                      • Apparently Nate Davis stayed late after practice today with a small group. A step in the right direction I suppose. Hopefully Davis get a decent grasp of the offense, really buckles down and tries to learn the nuances of the playbook. It would be a shame to lose a guy with so much potential.

                        "Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          Apparently Nate Davis stayed late after practice today with a small group. A step in the right direction I suppose. Hopefully Davis get a decent grasp of the offense, really buckles down and tries to learn the nuances of the playbook. It would be a shame to lose a guy with so much potential.
                          Ya. For some reason I have a hard time caring about Nate Davis. I've seen him quite a few times in practice and he stinks right now in all honesty. He's definitely not close to being the 2nd best QB on the roster either. There has been so many freaking QBs that come into this league with great physical talent and don't make it, so I'm not going to sit here and hold by breath over this guy.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                            I don't see ANY way that Khalif Mitchell clears waivers to be placed on the PS.

                            Who would Taylor make the roster over?
                            Mitchell and Taylor could both be on the team. If you wanted to keep LaBoy, you could put Brit Miller on the P-squad again and keep Norris as the only FB.

                            QB - Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis (3)
                            RB - Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Michael Robinson (6)
                            FB - Morran Norris, Brit Miller
                            WR - Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn, Dominique Zeigler, Kyle Williams (13)
                            TE - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham (16)
                            OT - Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder, Alex Boone (20)
                            OG - Chilo Rachal, Mike Iupati, Tony Wragge (23)
                            C - Eric Heitmann, David Baas (25)

                            DE - Justin Smith, Issac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Demetric Evans, Khalif Mitchell (30)
                            NT - Aubrayo Franklin, Ricky Jean Francois (32)
                            OLB - Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks, Diyral Briggs (36)
                            ILB - Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, NaVorro Bowman, Matt Wilhelm (40)
                            CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Karl Paymah, Phillip Adams (45)
                            S - Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor (50)

                            ST - Andy Lee, Joe Nedney, Brian Jennings (53)

                            Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              Mitchell and Taylor could both be on the team. If you wanted to keep LaBoy, you could put Brit Miller on the P-squad again and keep Norris as the only FB.

                              QB - Alex Smith, David Carr, Nate Davis (3)
                              RB - Frank Gore, Anthony Dixon, Michael Robinson (6)
                              FB - Morran Norris, Brit Miller
                              WR - Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Ted Ginn, Dominique Zeigler, Kyle Williams (13)
                              TE - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham (16)
                              OT - Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Adam Snyder, Alex Boone (20)
                              OG - Chilo Rachal, Mike Iupati, Tony Wragge (23)
                              C - Eric Heitmann, David Baas (25)

                              DE - Justin Smith, Issac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Demetric Evans, Khalif Mitchell (30)
                              NT - Aubrayo Franklin, Ricky Jean Francois (32)
                              OLB - Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks, Diyral Briggs (36)
                              ILB - Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, NaVorro Bowman, Matt Wilhelm (40)
                              CB - Nate Clements, Shawntae Spencer, Tarell Brown, Karl Paymah, Phillip Adams (45)
                              S - Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor (50)

                              ST - Andy Lee, Joe Nedney, Brian Jennings (53)
                              I'm very lukewarm about keeping 2 FBs.

                              Comment


                              • Is it just me or do the 49ers have the most young and talented offensive line in the NFL?

                                Ontop of that they have some of the best 3/4 pass rushers in the league as well, I was saying on a different thread that they have arguably six outside linebackers that could start for the Patriots right now.


                                Really fine looking roster and I love what coach Singletary is doing with that team!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information