Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're waiting for Alex Smith to have a 'breakthrough", I would suggest waiting until the regular season. Ain't no breakthroughs going to matter right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
      If you're waiting for Alex Smith to have a 'breakthrough", I would suggest waiting until the regular season. Ain't no breakthroughs going to matter right now.
      But what about Sam Bradford? Isn't he going to tear us and the rest of the league to pieces this year after that dominance he showed last night? ;)

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• This part of the year has me on the edge of my seat in anticipation.

Offense
        Looking forward to seeing if our 1st string offense will continue to execute tomorrow. With Crabtree and possibly Gore seeing some action, I think we can step it up to another level. Hopefully 11-85 combo will sync up as well.

Defense
        Hope the DE can contain better than they did against the Vikings and want to see some of the young DB's contribute as well.

I am glad we get to start off in the road in Seattle and then get the Saints. It will tell us a lot about our young talent as they continue to develop. Because of that, I see our team as a very dangerous team if we are able to make the playoffs like everyone is expecting.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState
          The Franklin situation looks to be resolved today, & that's a big positive, only question remaining is how much of a raise will the Pro Bowl NT receive, IMO he deserves a big fat honking one.
          This, I disagree with. First, have to wait and see what kind of shape he's in tomorrow when he takes his physical and even if he easily passes it, I wouldnt sign him to an extension whatsoever. He just turned 30 today and giving him a long term deal is risky considering his age and the fact that history says that DT's who get paid become lazy and not care. Personally, I would let him play under the franchise tag for 2010 and 2011. Going into the 2012 season, he'll be 32 years old and have two more years of wear and tear on his body. Cosidering the fact that Davis (26), Goldson (26 on Sept. 18) and Lawson (26) are four years younger, in their prime and more important to the team long term than Franklin is, I would use whatever money that would go to Franklin in a long term deal to the above three.

The only way I would sign Franklin long term would be after 2010 and if he plays at the same level because Clements and Lewis will most likely be gone anyway so the money that would be saved from them could go to Franklin. Other than that, I would just keep Franklin using the franchise tag for 2010 and 2011.

Comment

• Ah yes. The same Dan Brown that referenced statistics from Football Outsiders that predicted the 49ers would finish LAST in the NFC West. Yes, even behind the Rams.

Comment

• I found this tid-bit amusing:

The NFL trend is toward airing it out: A year ago, a record 10 quarterbacks threw for at least 4,000 yards. Nothing in Alex Smith's preseason performance suggests such a dramatic breakthrough.
              So a quarterback has to throw for 4,000 yards to have success?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Originally posted by Borat
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                I found this tid-bit amusing:

So a quarterback has to throw for 4,000 yards to have success?
                As I mentioned above... It's Dan Brown. He's doom-and-gloom. Seems to hate the team in alot of ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                  As I mentioned above... It's Dan Brown. He's doom-and-gloom. Seems to hate the team in alot of ways.
                  How does this ignorant fool have a job talking about football?

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                    How does this ignorant fool have a job talking about football?
                    good question!

dbrown@mercurynews.com

Comment

• Who in the blue hell is Dan Brown and why the hell should any of us care about what he has to say about our beloved 49ers???

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                        Who in the blue hell is Dan Brown and why the hell should any of us care about what he has to say about our beloved 49ers???
                        He's a 49ers blog writer for the Mercury News

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                          If you're waiting for Alex Smith to have a 'breakthrough", I would suggest waiting until the regular season. Ain't no breakthroughs going to matter right now.
                          Read the whole post:

But like they point out he has yet to be on the same field with Gore & Crabtree, hopefully that will happen this weekend vs. the cross-Bay rival Raiders.
                          Smith needs to have his running game, Vernon Davis & Crabtree on the field at the same time & facing an NFL starting defense to properly evaluate him. We will probably see what the 2010 9ers offense really will look like tonight when that happens.

Comment

• Aubrayo Franklin signed his tender.

49ers Reach Agreement with Aubrayo Franklin

Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who remained away from all 49ers offseason activities, signed a one-year, $7.003 million contract Saturday as the team's franchise player. He is expected to attend the 49ers' exhibition game tonight at the Oakland Raiders but he will not suit up.

Franklin, who turned 30 on Friday, was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of last season. The 49ers retained his rights through the use of the franchise tag, which guaranteed him in a one-year contract for the average salary of the five highest-paid defensive tackles in the NFL. The 49ers and Franklin had until July 15 to work out a multi-year contract extension. Now, such negotiations must wait until after the 49ers' final regular-season game.

Franklin had his best NFL season in 2009 with 88 total tackles, two sacks and one interception. All-Pro linebacker Patrick Willis credits Franklin's ability to tie up offensive linemen as one of the major reasons for his success. It is not known whether Franklin will play in the 49ers' final exhibition game, Thursday against the San Diego Chargers, but he is expected to start in the regular-season opener, Sept. 12 at Seattle.
                            http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/28/10/4...41&feedID=5936

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                              Smith needs to have his running game
                              Abso FREAKING lutely !!! Unfortunately it's tough to get the running game going when the plays calls aren't creative. Of the opening TEN 1st down plays, NINE were runs. Defenses will continue to stack the box on 1st down and the 49er RB's Norris and Gore will run into a brick wall.

Comment

• I was watching the game on an Internet feed so i didn't have the best picture quality, but here are some of my thoughts...

-Alex Smith looks so much better. He moves around in the pocket effortlessly, goes through his motions, and is accurate. He looks better than he ever has in his career. And he did this without Crabtree, VD, and Gore (for most of the game). The only thing that really ticks me off are the checkdowns on 3rd and long, but i guess its just a case of the receivers not being open downfield.

-Anthony Davis looked improved to me. I think he gave up only 1 pressure all day and didn't have a false start. And this was against a Raiders Dline that abused the Bears last week. I'm glad we gave him the job so soon, he'll be a better player in Week 1 because of it. I tried to focus on Iuapati too but its tough enough to focus on a LG in HD, let alone an internet feed.

-For the rookies, besides Davis i was impressed with Bowman and Adams. Bowman had 1 series in particular where he made 2 or 3 tackles and showed off his impressive speed. Looked like a mini-Willis almost. Adams also had another good night at CB, although he got lucky with one pass deflection near the end of the game. He also had 2 great punt returns including a TD. I'd like to see him get some earlier reps next week. However, we can consider his ticket stamped on the 53 man roster. I thought Byham was only alright compared to last week, Dixon struggled against the first team but tore up the 3rd string, and Mays was invisble which could be a good or bad thing.

-Pass defense as a whole seemed kind of shaky. They rebounded well after a bad first drive to shut down Campbell but they struggled against Gradkowski. I think Gradkowkski is kind of underrated but they shouldn't have given up those TDs to Miller or Murphy.

Oh, and David Carr sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information