Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meh, Nate Davis doesn't mean crap to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
      Meh, Nate Davis doesn't mean crap to me.
      Having only 2 QBs on the roster, one of whom is David Carr... means alot more than crap to me.

Comment

• If the dude doesn't have it between his ears, all the talent in the world won't matter.

Also, I am still bitter we never landed Stephen McGee.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Looks like the 49ers like Troy Smith more than Davis. They are VERY similar players.

... It's a one-year deal with QB Troy Smith.
          less than 10 seconds ago via web
          http://twitter.com/mattbarrows

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
            As for Bobby Carpenter...

How could anyone want to sign a player that wasn't good enough to make the Rams' final roster?
            Good point but all this talk of him is now irrelevant as he was signed by the Dolphins today to reunite with Parcells, who drafted him.

I'm a little shocked about Nate Davis, but not completely after what's transpired the last couple weeks with Sing, and how he has spoken about him. Man, this makes Alex needing to have a great year even more important, as we don't even have a developmental QB on the roster at this point.

I'm curious which direction they'll go with the extra roster spot. ILB would be the natural choice, but there needs to be someone available.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              we don't even have a developmental QB on the roster at this point.
              Troy Smith and Jarrett Brown as well as one next draft more than likely.

Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              I'm curious which direction they'll go with the extra roster spot. ILB would be the natural choice, but there needs to be someone available.
              Troy Smith, one-year deal.

Comment

• well that was quick

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Singletary is a dumb for cutting Nate Davis at this point in time.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                  -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                  Originally posted by Borat
                  Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                    Singletary is a dumb for cutting Nate Davis at this point in time.
                    Pls explain that 1. If he's been around for 2 pre seasons and hasn't grasped the offence how long do you want to give him? A strong arm does not maketh a QB.

If Smith fails the future for us is a high 1st round pick next year.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

Singletary is a dumb for cutting Nate Davis at this point in time.
                      Not if Baalke/Sing like Troy Smith more. If that's the case than it would be stupid NOT to make the move.

Comment

• I'm surprised that they released Davis this fast. He was just entering his second season with the team and quite honestly, didnt do any worse than Carr this pre-season. And while they may be high on Smith, you have to wonder how much (if any) of an improvement he's going to be over Davis considering the fact that the Ravens released him in favor of keeping Bulger who at this point in his career is arguably worse than Carr.

And Carpenter no longer applies since he's in MIA but like I said, I would have just used him on special teams and use Bowman on defense. I dont want Bowman playing special teams because it increases his chances of getting injured and thats one injury we cant afford to have.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
                          Pls explain that 1. If he's been around for 2 pre seasons and hasn't grasped the offence how long do you want to give him? A strong arm does not maketh a QB.

If Smith fails the future for us is a high 1st round pick next year.
                          Our quarterback situation is still uncertain. Cutting Nate Davis at this point in time was a dumb decision because of that reason mostly. He did show a good amount of potential and even looked better than a lot of backups around the NFL. Especially in places like Buffalo or even Denver (Brady Quinn I'm looking at you).

And I don't know why everyone is saying "he hasn't learned the offense". Perhaps he's not up to speed, but we have to remember the guy has a learning disability. Singletary criticized him for being lazy. That I don't condone, however we will probably never know the extent to how much he knew or didn't know. He knew enough to actually be played in a preseason game that is for sure. And I'll take a lazy man anyday that can make a play for me over someone who knows the playbook, but is pure trash. How does knowing the playbook help you if your instincts are terrible? It doesn't do anything for you. Nothing. Nate Davis should have been put in the doghouse, but he shouldn't have been cut for Troy Smith (who apparently put loads of time in during the offseason, yet that didn't save his job.) That is where Singletary ****** up.

If Alex Smith goes down, that leaves David Carr and now Troy Smith ahead. Both of those guys have never shown any promise in my opinion. Perhaps they're not as lazy, who knows. But their instincts are not as polished in my opinion as Nate Davis.

And Singletary a few days ago publicly endorsed his decision to keep Nate Davis and now he releases him. That tells me the head coach just can't make up his mind. If he was looking for a replacement, why not just release him when the final cuts were made?

And Troy Smith is not an upgrade. Go to the Ravens forums. They hated the guy and are glad he is toast. Baltimore felt so comfortable without his services they're going into the season with two quarterbacks. Troy Smith has never shown any promise at the NFL level. Why not just promote Jarrett Brown? Because Troy has started two games in his NFL career? Stupid.

And if Alex Smith fails, yes be prepared to start back from square one and wait three more years. Hopefully Davis is still in the mix at that point (assuming he makes the practices squad).
                          Last edited by Ness; 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                          Originally posted by Borat
                          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Agrees with Ness.

Also, if Smith fails and McNabb doesnt re-sign with WSH and becomes an UFA, I sign him to a two year deal because with the team we have now, waiting for yet another QB to develop would be a waste of the talent we already have on the team.

Comment

• Troy Smith, Nate Davis, Jarrett Brown....if any of these guys get any snaps with the first team we are dead anyways.

Comment

If Alex Smith goes down, that leaves David Carr and now Troy Smith ahead. Both of those guys have never shown any promise in my opinion. Perhaps they're not as lazy, who knows. But their instincts are not as polished in my opinion as Nate Davis.
                                The words "polished" and "Nate Davis" do not belong in the same sentence.

I'm not a huge Troy Smith fan but I'm going to trust the GM and Head Coach on this call, as Davis was a high risk/high reward pick in the 5th Round last year. He had 1st Round physical talent but his learning disability was a huge question mark. He obviously showed behind the scenes that he wasn't putting the time in nor demonstrating the work ethic that is necessary for him to overcome his challenges to be a good starting QB in the NFL. They moved onto the next guy with upside that they believed could be coached.

I see Nate Davis becoming a Raider....somehow someway soon. If Al Davis got that tape of him throwing 60 yards, is over, even if they have something like 4 QBs on their roster already.

Side note: Just watched Joe Montana on ESPN First Take; nostalgia on overload right now. :)

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information