Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going into 2009, we'll be better with Hill as the starting QB. I said it over a year ago when he replaced Smith. He's our best QB and deserves his chance at being a full time starter for 2009 from beginning to end. He's earned it. His comeback win at STL alone should prove that he's starting caliber. We finished 7-9 mainly because of Hill and if he would have been the starter from day one (like I said last summer), we probably would have won the division and be in the playoffs instead of watching them.

But instead, Nolan hired Martz despite management not wanting him and he brought in career third string crapper J.T. O'Sullivan who makes Rattay look like Montana in comparison. And it was all downhill from there until Hill took over.

Nolan is thankfully gone as is Martz which means our two biggest negatives have been eliminated. Nolan screwed up Smith and didnt help him by refusing to bring back Bryant for 2007 who was Smith's number one target back in 2006. Martz isnt in STL anymore or in a dome and he cant have 5, 7 and 9 step drops with no one in the backfield and not expect the QB to get sacked no matter who it is.

I like Singletary but im hoping that he doesnt do anything stupid just because he has some power and control. I agree with him in regards to RT, a pass rushing OLB and a FS who can play coverage but not with the QB situation. Hill went 5-3 in the 8 games he started and passed for 1873 yards, 12 tds and 8 ints. His completion percentage was 63. While you can say that he was horrible in STL for 3 quarters, he definitely made up for it the 4th quarter with 2 touchdown passes, a win but most importantly, showed poise, leadership, made plays and refused to quit and give up.

He completed 70% of his passes or better in three of those 8 games and had another three games where he completed 60% of his passes or better. I dont think that im the only one who thinks that Hill should be the starter going into 2009 and im hoping that Singletary eventually realizes this because if he thinks a drafted rookie (Stafford, Bradford, etc.), a player coming off an injury for the last two seasons (Smith), an old veteran (Garcia) or a FA who's been a bust (Losman, Boller, etc.) is going to come in and play better than Hill, he's sadly mistaken.

I just hope that he realizes this before making a dumb ass move.

Comment

• I've been taking a look at some names mentioned for offensive coordinator and beyond the usual (Knapp, Lineman etc.) and the plain silly (Shanahan) there are a couple of guys that really intrigue me.

Tom Rathman - Currently my top alternative name for the job. Huge links to Candlestick, both as a player and as a coach. Definately an authority in the running game, would gel well with what Singletary wants.

Obviously he has a huge drawback in not having any prior experience though a reverse to this is of course that he would most likely stay a couple of seasons if successful. After the Hostler adventure and with Sing. perhaps not being willing to gamble on him he's a long shot. Add to that the fact that Al Davis has top let him go. Still, I hope he gets an interview.

Tom Clements - A really interesting character. From a football perspective he's under McCarthy which means he's got a background in the WCO. Also has a decent pedigree bringing up QBs, has had some success with less well known names as well as being the QB coach to Aaron Rodgers at present.

From a mental point of view he's a clever bloke (got his JD magna cum laude from Notre Dame) and that interests me. A lot was made of Martz's intellect. He does have past experience, 2004 + 2005 with the Bills, though his offense performed poorly overall they were well ranked for rushing.

I hope the pair get some consideration, they're certainly less likely names for the job but they stand off the page as prospects in my opinion.
      Last edited by BandwagonPunditry; 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM. Reason: accidentally posted it halfway through...

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
        that means he is bringing somebody via free agency.
        Donovan McNabb ring a bell? Runs a WCO and is a free agent.

Also, to agree with YAY, we need a FS and after that USC game today, I am sold on Taylor Mays. That dude scares the hell out of me. They said he is fastet guy on the USC team during the broadcast.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          Donovan McNabb ring a bell? Runs a WCO and is a free agent.

Also, to agree with YAY, we need a FS and after that USC game today, I am sold on Taylor Mays. That dude scares the hell out of me. They said he is fastet guy on the USC team during the broadcast.
          i would have no problem seeing Mays in one of your guys' niner uniforrms, but it wouldnt hurt my feelings if we got him either ;) lol
          Last edited by Zyro_1014; 01-02-2009, 02:23 AM.

Comment

• McNabb has two years left on his contract bud and isnt going anywhere. And honestly, I dont him and sure as hell dont want to pay him.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
              McNabb has two years left on his contract bud and isnt going anywhere. And honestly, I dont him and sure as hell dont want to pay him.
              I am basing that assumption on the Eagles getting rid of him and Reid. It seemed like it was going to happen this year and just because they made the playoffs doesn't mean they're staying. Also, I remember one of the beat writers mentioning him, I cannot remember who.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Why are we screwing Hill over again? We all know he should have been starting day one and this upcoming season it feels like we're gonna make the same mistake.

As for Mays, Well I'm not quite sold on him. He has the athletic ability and size but his lack of wrap up ability scares me. Tries to blast people without wrapping up and that's not always gonna fly in the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                  I am basing that assumption on the Eagles getting rid of him and Reid. It seemed like it was going to happen this year and just because they made the playoffs doesn't mean they're staying. Also, I remember one of the beat writers mentioning him, I cannot remember who.
                  I dont see that happening. Eagles are a veteran team and letting McNabb leave would be a dumb ass move because Kolb isnt ready yet and Feeley is crap. I would be very surprised if the Eagles release McNabb.

Here's a player I wouldnt mind from Philly - FS Brian Dawkins. The guy is awesome and one of the best safeties in the league and perhaps the best FS. Yeah, I know he's old but he wouldnt be bad for two years as a stopgap.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB
                    Why are we screwing Hill over again? We all know he should have been starting day one and this upcoming season it feels like we're gonna make the same mistake.
                    I agree 100%. Why overpay a UFA or draft a rookie when Hill has earned the starting spot for 2009? Plus, we still have Smith who'll only be 25 when the 2009 season starts.

If there's one thing im worried about, its what Singletary is going to do in regards to the QB position.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                      As for Mays, Well I'm not quite sold on him. He has the athletic ability and size but his lack of wrap up ability scares me. Tries to blast people without wrapping up and that's not always gonna fly in the NFL.

I agree, but his talent will easily help him correct that if it even becomes an issue, I wouldn't let that stray me away from selecting him. I'd like to see him demonstrate some ball skills though, how many career INT's does he have? We saw him pass up some INT's for highlight hits against Cal. How about Mays yesterday, blowing up two people with one hit... OMG. Too bad one of them was on SC.

A great player non the less, definitely on the 49ers radar.

Comment

• Guys Martz was fired for two reasons. One because his philosiphy is different, and two because he is no more than a stop gap OC.

The second reason is why none of your signings make sense. Brian Dawkins would maybe start for us for a year maybe two, wouldn't make that big of a difference.

Shaun Mcdonald - Is not a good fit for our offense anymore, and with the young talent we have there is no reason to bring in another veteran.

Mike Brown - It's not like he would even play for us.

Suggs - I feel like I am beating this to death so i'm just gonna stop, even though I am pretty sure Dan is the only one that wants him which makes sense.

Singletary on the QB position does scare me I really hope we don't bring another one in, unless he is a mid round draft pick.

Taylor Mays is our number one pick in my mind at this point.

Honestly right now Jordan Gross would be the only person that intrigues me in FA all the other guys are stop gaps nothing more.
                        Originally posted by 49erNation85
                        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• I still think William Moore is the best all around safety in the draft right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                            I still think William Moore is the best all around safety in the draft right now.
                            He might have been not right now though.
                            Originally posted by 49erNation85
                            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
                              I agree, but his talent will easily help him correct that if it even becomes an issue, I wouldn't let that stray me away from selecting him. I'd like to see him demonstrate some ball skills though, how many career INT's does he have? We saw him pass up some INT's for highlight hits against Cal. How about Mays yesterday, blowing up two people with one hit... OMG. Too bad one of them was on SC.

A great player non the less, definitely on the 49ers radar.
                              he doesnt get many INT's because of how much range he covers. by the time he gets to the play he usually just knocks it down. He makes the picks when he gets the chance. Once hes covering half of the field instead of the whole thing he will get alot more picks.

Comment

• Taylor Mays is overrated. He is a great athlete but a bad football player.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information