This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by binary View Post
    Mcnabb will never be a 49er...moving on...
    Seriously... So many more exciting things to talk about, such as how I believe the Seahawks are going to get getting exposed today as a team made of other teams' scraps, with no chemistry or established philosophy.

Merry Christmas Morning Everyone!!! ;)

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      Just read about Davis on PFT. Yay!!! Very happy. Next up - FS Dashon Goldson and then OLB Manny Lawson. :)
      I'd rather make Lawson the priority. He's the best edge-setter and coverage 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He'd be the absolute PERFECT player opposite a sack-artist.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac
        I'd rather make Lawson the priority. He's the best edge-setter and coverage 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He'd be the absolute PERFECT player opposite a sack-artist.
        Lawson has been one of my favorite players since we drafted him and I have nothing against him but you have to look at the positions that he and Goldson play. Lawson plays OLB in which you have Haralson, Brooks, Briggs and Davis behind him. There's more quality depth at OLB than what we have in the secondary. Lewis will more than likely be gone after 2010. Clements will more than likely also be gone. Losing Goldson who's played good and replacing him with Smith/Taylor while having a second year player in Mays next to him in 2011 isnt exactly a good thing. Not only that but if Lewis/Clements/Goldson are gone in 2011, not only are you losing three defensive starters, you're also screwing up the chemistry thats already there which at times can be nearly impossible to ever get back.

I personally would re-sign/extend both but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose Goldson only because losing three starters in the secondary is worse than losing one starter in the front seven especially when the transition would be easier for Brooks, Haralson, Briggs (and Davis) than it would be for our secondary replacing Lewis, Clements and Goldson.

That's just the way I look at it but im definitely hoping and wanting both of them to be re-signed/extended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness
          Agreed. This organization needs to get back to it's roots that made it successful. And an offensive minded head coach would be a good start in the right direction if everything went south from here. No more defensive minded head coaches. I cannot stress that enough. We need an offensive minded coach (preferably someone with a west coast background in my opinion) so we wouldn't have to worry about losing an OC every single season. I think Kyle Shanahan would be great. He's a little young, but I would love for him to be the head coach of the 49ers. If not him, than Jon Gruden. Heck I'd love Steve Mariucci to even come back.
          I agree and when you say west coast background, im assuming that you mean in regards to the WCO, correct?

If so, I personally would love Jon Gruden as the Head Coach. Marty Mornhinweg as the offensive coordinator and Jim Mora as the defensive coordinator. Thoughts???

NOTE: I'm quoting Ness from the 49ers/Seahawks topic but since it's closed, I obviously couldnt post a reply there so I decided to reply to his post here instead. Hope thats okay. :)

Comment

• Jim Mora Jr. as the DC? WTF dude, were you even around when he was here? If you don't like how the CBs play off WRs now, look back on those years. HE SUX MAJORLY. I'd say keep Manusky, but get him some better CB talent in the draft, I like Manusky if we can retain him.

Moving on, here is a great article on Jimmy Raye via Yahoo Sports, I think it's absolutely hilarious and must-read for the fans here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...091410&print=1

Comment

• Since I was curious to see how our offense ranked with Mornhinweg, I looked it up at NFL.com. Here's the rankings -

Year / Total Offense / Scoring Offense / Record

1997 / 12th / tied 5th / 13 - 3 *
              1998 / 1st / 3rd / 12 - 4
              1999 / 10th / 22nd / 4 - 12 **
              2000 / 4th / tied 6th / 6-10 ***

* - Rice was injured in the opener on a damn reverse play by crappy Warren Sapp and missed 14 games. Was injured in his comeback game late in the season and if I remember correctly, was injured yet again and missed the playoffs.

** - Steve Young suffered a concussion in the third game of the regular season thanks to a missed block by Lawrence Phillips against the Cardinals on MNF. He obviously retired and while our scoring offense sucked chunks as we went threw several different QB's, our total offense was actually pretty damn good considering that our franchise QB was gone but thankfully, we found Jeff Garcia. And for anyone here who plays video games, the actual hit on Young was in the opening intro of NFL 2K1 on Sega Dreamcast.

*** - In 2000, we went 6-10 but had a new franchise QB in Jeff Garcia and while our offensive rankings might have been padded due to the fact that our defense was bad and we were behind big in a lot of games and were able to pick up a lot of yards, we were still tied for 6th best in points scored and 4th best in total offense. This was also Mornhinweg's last year in SF. WOW!!! I just checked the stats for Garcia and I knew they were good, but I didnt know that they were this damn good - 63% comp. 4278 yds, 31 td, 10 int, 97.6 qb rating.

Maybe its just me but if this season turns out crappy, we need to go back to the past in my opinion.

Comment

• I liked Mora but I agree with you as my main complaints against him was that he played zone too much and playing off the receiver. Of course, I dont see much difference now, do you? If he would press and play man coverage more and limit the zone crap, I think that he would be damn good. He had a good Falcons defense in 2004 when they went to the NFC Championship so he cant do any worse than what took place on Sunday.

Comment

• 49ers bring back Jason Hill, release CB Brock:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/14/10/4...02&feedID=2800

It also notes that Bruce Davis was let go from the practice squad. I thought he had a chance to make the roster at some point but perhaps he was just an insurance policy should Brooks have more issues from his kidney.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Crap!!! They released Davis. He played well in the pre-season. And they bring back Hill???? Yeah, those two moves will solve our problems. Coaching staff needs to go, sooner rather than later.

Comment

Crap!!! They released Davis. He played well in the pre-season. And they bring back Hill???? Yeah, those two moves will solve our problems. Coaching staff needs to go, sooner rather than later.
                      I think they brought back Hill because Ginn is gonna be hurt.
                      Last edited by binary; 09-15-2010, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                        I think they brought back Hill because Ginn is gonna be hurt.

Exactly that. Wk. 1 over & done & the doomsayers are screaming like it's over.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-he...nclick_check=1

Offseason FA acquisitions are failing, injuries prematurely piling up & the 9ers have the worst offensive gameplanning in the NFL other than Dallas.

Comment

Crap!!! They released Davis. He played well in the pre-season. And they bring back Hill???? Yeah, those two moves will solve our problems. Coaching staff needs to go, sooner rather than later.
                          Ugh. It's like this everytime the 49ers lose. "He played well in preseason." Sure he did, against players that are now on the street just like him. He has now been cut by the Steelers, Patriots, Broncos, and 49ers.But you're right, this is the "last straw" with the coaching staff. Another future HOF player that the 49ers let go after showing "fans" how good he was.

Guys like Bruce Davis should form a team with Brandon Moore, Jamie Winborn, Keith Lewis, Marcus Maxwell, PJ Fleck, Kory Sheets, hell even Nate Davis can play QB.

I bet some fairweather fans actually think they'd beat the current Niners.

/falling sky

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                            Ugh. It's like this everytime the 49ers lose. "He played well in preseason." Sure he did, against players that are now on the street just like him. He has now been cut by the Steelers, Patriots, Broncos, and 49ers.But you're right, this is the "last straw" with the coaching staff. Another future HOF player that the 49ers let go after showing "fans" how good he was.

Guys like Bruce Davis should form a team with Brandon Moore, Jamie Winborn, Keith Lewis, Marcus Maxwell, PJ Fleck, Kory Sheets, hell even Nate Davis can play QB.

I bet some fairweather fans actually think they'd beat the current Niners.

/falling sky
                            The coaches are stupid because they didnt even give him a chance in games that mean soething. I doubt that he could do any worse than what we did this past Sunday. Moore was good for two or three seasons until Nolan screwed him over. Winborn was good in 2001/2002 but injuries always caught up with him. Lewis was good on special teams. Davis can be good but not if the team and coaching staff isnt even willing to give him the chance to do so. I thought he played good in the Vikings pre-season game and better than Smith and company played last Sunday but that's just me.

And to be honest, I wouldnt be surprised if the Barlow's, Rumph's, etc. were to beat our current team because unlike our current team, all those ex-49ers would have something to prove where as the majority of our team and coaching staff doesnt care or know what they're doing. Raye doesnt get along with Johnson. Singletary is blaming Raye. Smith is blaming everyone except himself. Everyone is blaming else and thats not how you're going to win a damn game.

If we start out 1-3 like I think we will and continue to struggle, I would clean house after the season and get some coaches with proven track records and that they know what they're doing. The coaching staff we have now including Singletary doesnt have a ******* clue.

Comment

• If we started out 1-3, I'd actually be kind of optimistic. I'm seeing 0-4 right now, and doomsday approaching.

Comment

• A 1-3 start and you would be optimistic? WOW!!!

If we lose to the ******* Chiefs who were worse than the Seahawks last season, im going to be even more pissed off than I already am.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information