This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201009...rs/watch#watch

If you guys have the time, watch this video. Go to 1:26. Who on this board CAN'T make that catch? After seeing that view I'm even questioning if that was a bad pass, to execute that play like Norris did was utterly ridiculous. Really makes me question why we would even target a player like that in such a critical situation.
    Last edited by binary; 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
      http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201009...rs/watch#watch

If you guys have the time, watch this video. Go to 1:26. Who on this board CAN'T make that catch? After seeing that view I'm even questioning if that was a bad pass, to execute that play like Norris did was utterly ridiculous. Really makes me question why we would even target a player like that in such a critical situation.
      Idiot play-calling. It's one thing to do a 4th down fake and swing it out to Gore or go deep to VD, but to chuck a lob pass on the run to Norris isn't ideal in that scenario.

On another positive (sarcastic) note, Brooks come back to practice today and he and Spencer get in a scuffle during a routine drill, which just happens to be the one that media/cameras are allowed at. UGH.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/maiocco_blog

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• I'm really happy Brooks is back; IMO he actually gives us somewhat of a chance on Monday. NO can be beat with pressure, which is how DAL got to them last year. Spencer looked pretty douche-tastic on that drill. If I was this D I wouldn't be goofing around at all when I had to face the Saints, but whatever.

Comment

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201009...rs/watch#watch

I have been saying that since Sunday...

Comment

• I think any play called for Norris (run or pass) is moronic and idiotic. Norris is here to block for Gore, Westbrook and Dixon. Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

• I think any play called for Norris (run or pass) is moronic and idiotic. Norris is here to block for Gore, Westbrook and Dixon. Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                I think any play called for Norris (run or pass) is moronic and idiotic. Norris is here to block for Gore, Westbrook and Dixon. Thats it. Nothing more, nothing less.
                I even have a problem with running Gore up the middle a few yards out from the goal-line, when it hasn't been working anywhere else on the field. I mean, why would someone think running Gore up the middle 5-6 yards from the goal-line would work when it essentially has been shut down everywhere else on the field? Every yard is THAT much harder to come by near the endzone, it seems obvious. To me, that's just a give up play to try and "establish" something that really isn't there; and doing it near the goal-line is ridiculous. At least try a misdirection, or maybe a delay/draw to throw the D off, a D that has been keying on Gore hte whole game. The FB Dive near the goal-line...well don't get me started on that. We did an up the gut with Gore, and a FB Dive in succession, then followed it up with a delay of game lol. Bill Walsh is crying in heaven over this crap.

Comment

• Just curious, what do you guys think this Offense would look like right now if we tried to implement a spread out attack from the JAX game last year until now. Do you think it would be successful with all the weapons we got? I thought the JAX game was a great stepping stone when it actually occurred, but it seems like we just forgot about it and didn't learn anything from it.

Comment

I even have a problem with running Gore up the middle a few yards out from the goal-line, when it hasn't been working anywhere else on the field. I mean, why would someone think running Gore up the middle 5-6 yards from the goal-line would work when it essentially has been shut down everywhere else on the field? Every yard is THAT much harder to come by near the endzone, it seems obvious. To me, that's just a give up play to try and "establish" something that really isn't there; and doing it near the goal-line is ridiculous. At least try a misdirection, or maybe a delay/draw to throw the D off, a D that has been keying on Gore hte whole game. The FB Dive near the goal-line...well don't get me started on that. We did an up the gut with Gore, and a FB Dive in succession, then followed it up with a delay of game lol. Bill Walsh is crying in heaven over this crap.
                    Running up the middle is only good when you have the defense spread out and they're more worried about your passing game but inside the 10, it becomes a negative either way because thats where all the defenders are - in the middle.

Originally posted by binary View Post
                    Just curious, what do you guys think this Offense would look like right now if we tried to implement a spread out attack from the JAX game last year until now. Do you think it would be successful with all the weapons we got? I thought the JAX game was a great stepping stone when it actually occurred, but it seems like we just forgot about it and didn't learn anything from it.
                    Thats what I would do. Go from slow turtle like pace to a fast up tempo pace. Cant do any worse than what we did in SEA.

Comment

• You guys mentioned a offensive-minded coach if Sing is fired, but my concern is that we'd lose Manusky. He's been a pretty good defensive coordinator, especially since Nolan was sent packing.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• I want Raye to leave right now, with Sing bringing in someone to completely run the offense. Sing is good for what he does; motivating the players. The players like him and respect him. I mean, c'mon, he got Alex Boone to stop binge drinking and jumping on cars long enough to get better and make the team.

Sing needs to be the figurehead and delegate out responsibility to two great coordinators. The problem is we have a very good DC, a good ST, and our OC if horrible and incapable of using the personnel on the team.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Coach Singletary: Testy much?

Singletary is unloading on whoever leaked the story of him throwing Raye under the bus for Sunday's loss:

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_...nclick_check=1

Which tells me that he really was throwing him under the bus. The HC also unloaded on CBS Sports Director Dennis O'Donnell in last night's interview for inquiring about Alex Smith's difficulty getting plays relayed in from Raye in Seattle.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headlines/ci_16102332

Maybe there were headset transmission problems or maybe the playcalling just plain sucked. Maybe both.

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports reported there is a real locker room tension between the players & the playcalling:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...rectsnap091410

And we know Singletary went off like a Mexican firecracker on Cinco de Mayo in the impromptu team meeting that was an asschewing session he called before they even left SFO after returning from Seattle.

Lots of blame to go around but the HC doesnt seem to be taking any of it himself. Prediction: there will be more of this & some coaching staff changes made if they don't get it together before Monday night vs. the NFL champions.

Comment

• I could see changes coming, but not before Monday Night's game. Soon though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                              I could see changes coming, but not before Monday Night's game. Soon though.

We should consider promoting our quaterback coach Mike Johnson to offensive coordinator or atleast play calling.

Here's his history before San Francisco:

Prior to joining San Francisco, Johnson served as the wide receivers coach in Baltimore from 2006 to 2007. With the Ravens, he helped 12-year veteran receiver Derrick Mason record his sixth 1,000-yard season in 2007. Mason tallied 1,087 yards on 103 receptions with five touchdowns, leading the team in all receiving categories. A year prior, WR Mark Clayton developed into the Ravens top deep threat and playmaker, posting three touchdowns of 62-or-more yards.

Prior to joining Baltimore, Johnson spent three years as the quarterbacks coach with the Atlanta Falcons, tutoring three-time Pro Bowl QB Michael Vick. Vick put up 2,412 passing yards and 15 touchdowns, while ranking second on the team with 597 rushing yards and six touchdowns, in 2005. In 2004, Vick became the first NFL quarterback to throw for more than 250 yards and run for more than 100 yards in a single game (at Den. 10/31/04).

In 2003, Interim Head Coach Wade Phillips asked Johnson to call the Falcons offensive plays for the final two games of the season. In those two contests, Vick compiled his second-highest quarterback rankings of the year (119.2 at Tampa Bay, 12/20/03, and 93.0 vs. Jacksonville, 12/28/03).

In 2002, Johnson guided a young Falcons wide receiver corps that included WR Brian Finneran, who had the best year of his career, recording 838 yards on 56 receptions and six touchdowns.

From 2000 to 2001, Johnson served as the quarterbacks coach for the San Diego Chargers. Under Johnson’s guidance, QB Doug Flutie amassed career-highs with 3,464 yards passing and 294 completions in 2001. Flutie’s passing yards that season were the most for a Chargers quarterback since QB Dan Fouts put up 3,638 yards in 1985. During the 2001 campaign, Flutie threw for more than 300 yards on four occasions.

Johnson coached the quarterbacks at Oregon State in 1999 after serving as the Beavers wide receivers coach from 1997 to 1998.

Johnson played five pro seasons as a quarterback, beginning his career as a rookie free agent with the Arizona Cardinals in 1990. After being released as part of the team’s final cuts of training camp that season, Johnson played two years for the San Antonio Riders of the World League. Johnson moved to the Canadian Football league in 1992 and quarterbacked the British Columbia Lions for two seasons. From 1994 to 1995, he quarterbacked the CFL’s Shreveport Pirates for his final two pro playing years.

Johnson was the backup quarterback at ASU from 1985 to 1986, but then transferred to Mesa Community College, where he became a Junior College All-American in 1987. Johnson then transferred to the University of Akron for two years (1988-89) and was named Akron’s Athlete of the Year in 1990.
                              Seems pretty well qualified to me.
                              Last edited by hawkeye123; 09-17-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                                We should consider promoting our quaterback coach Mike Johnson to offensive coordinator or atleast play calling.

Here's his history before San Francisco:

Seems pretty well qualified to me
                                Nahbad. If there's a mid-season change, then he would be it for Raye.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information