This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    I'd hate drafting Josh Freeman, he has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential.
    Yeah big no to Freeman. Mays has gotten better every game his range in the secondary is exactly what we need.
    Originally posted by 49erNation85
    I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
      Because he isn't a good player. If you didn't know his measurables and just watched him play you would think he wasn't even going to get drafted. I personally don't want another "book or bust" project in the first round, and certainly not in the top 10. With the 10th pick in the draft you should get a player that is going to make an immediate impact and I just don't see Mays as that type of player.

Are you serious? Did you even bother to turn on the Rose Bowl?

Mays showed the speed and range that has been hyped up all season. I think he definitely has legit 4.40 speed. He played great in coverage as he has all season and had really good form to his tackling and had a nice big hit (although somewhat dirty) too. What else could you want in a FS or SS?

Production from DBs is overrated. Tackles and INTs really don't mean that much. How many INTs has Asomugha had over the last 2 seasons? 2. That isn't because he sucks and lacks ball skills. It is more that he does not get oppurtunities because no one can get open on him because he is a beast. Obviously Asomugha and Mays play different positions but Mays has played deep centerfield for the number one passing defense in the country.

My 49ers dream draft:
      1.Taylor Mays S USC
      2.Phil Loadholdt OT Oklahoma
      3.Larry English OLB/DE Northern Illinois
      4.Ron Brace DT Boston College

Comment

• Originally posted by will99890 View Post
        Are you serious? Did you even bother to turn on the Rose Bowl?

Mays showed the speed and range that has been hyped up all season. I think he definitely has legit 4.40 speed. He played great in coverage as he has all season and had really good form to his tackling and had a nice big hit (although somewhat dirty) too. What else could you want in a FS or SS?

Production from DBs is overrated. Tackles and INTs really don't mean that much. How many INTs has Asomugha had over the last 2 seasons? 2. That isn't because he sucks and lacks ball skills. It is more that he does not get oppurtunities because no one can get open on him because he is a beast. Obviously Asomugha and Mays play different positions but Mays has played deep centerfield for the number one passing defense in the country.

My 49ers dream draft:
        1.Taylor Mays S USC
        2.Phil Loadholdt OT Oklahoma
        3.Larry English OLB/DE Northern Illinois
        4.Ron Brace DT Boston College
        Your dream draft would be perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
          Your dream draft would be perfect.
          Ditto. Especially like the Ron Brace pick.

Comment

• Yea if my dream draft really did happen I might crap my pants out of sheer excitement. I don't think Brace or English will fall that far, but anything can happen on draft day.

Comment

• Originally posted by will99890 View Post
              Yea if my dream draft really did happen I might crap my pants out of sheer excitement. I don't think Brace or English will fall that far, but anything can happen on draft day.
              If we even had those first 2 rounds I would be happy. I think Loadholdt is a beast.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

If we even had those first 2 rounds I would be happy. I think Loadholdt is a beast.
                Absolutely he will be a great RT. Also in the news this week it sounds like Spikes and Johnson both really want to come back so that is good news.

Comment

Absolutely he will be a great RT. Also in the news this week it sounds like Spikes and Johnson both really want to come back so that is good news.
                  Spikes just likes playing next to Willis, as for Johnson, I think he realizes that this is his only place to have a shot at being a starter.

Comment

Spikes just likes playing next to Willis, as for Johnson, I think he realizes that this is his only place to have a shot at being a starter.
                    And that may not even be for much longer.

Comment

And that may not even be for much longer.
                      Key word there would be "chance." ;)

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zyro_1014 View Post
                        he doesnt get many INT's because of how much range he covers. by the time he gets to the play he usually just knocks it down. He makes the picks when he gets the chance. Once hes covering half of the field instead of the whole thing he will get alot more picks.

Thats a good point, he plays centerfield more often than not at SC. They are usually mixing it up in the front 7, blitzing, zone blitzing so he'll roll over the top. And like you said, damn this cat covers a lot of ground. He can do everything the 49ers need right now, too bad there will never be another Ed Reed...

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                          Because he isn't a good player. If you didn't know his measurables and just watched him play you would think he wasn't even going to get drafted. I personally don't want another "book or bust" project in the first round, and certainly not in the top 10. With the 10th pick in the draft you should get a player that is going to make an immediate impact and I just don't see Mays as that type of player.
                          Sounds like you need to sit down and re-examine what you think you know about football. There a players in college today, who are afraid of Taylor Mays. Starting with Jordan Norwood and the rest of the Penn State WR corps. I know there are players who have measureables that project and are similar to elite prospects but do not play like that. Mays will not be one of them. At worst, he's a solid starter, and were talking about how Roman is anything but. Mays size/speed is great for 3rd down nickel/dime packages, where he can step into the box, maybe add a safety and your run support suffers less with the nickel/dime packages. He plays centerfield for SC all day, he can cover a lot of ground. What I dont know, is how agile he is, how he can cover man-2-man. Which we ask roman to do, so it's up for discusssion.

If you're going to try and tell me and this entire forum that Mays is wack, then drop us some knowledge on something else then. Im interested now.

Comment

I'd hate drafting Josh Freeman, he has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential.
                            Well said Brent, the guy is a major stiff, and I think he has been mentioned in these forums because people were looking for Qb prospects to talk about. Talk about a disaster.

Comment

• I'm not sold on Loadholt, I feel like his size works against him in some cases. In the Texas game I saw him get bull rushed more than once (He was going against other Day 1, Round 1 prospects). If we have a shorter QB, that might not mix well either... Is he what Scott will call a 'Road-Grader' in the run game? Either way, I know he's better than Sims. It's just whether he's better than Snyder.

Speaking of RT, what are we doing with Jennings? He's going to earn over 5Mil., and his cap hit would be just under 4 Mil. I believe. I say we dump his ass, it would be saving a million basically, because its not like he's going to play.

Comment

• Originally posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
                                Well said Brent, the guy is a major stiff, and I think he has been mentioned in these forums because people were looking for Qb prospects to talk about. Talk about a disaster.
                                He's a decent college QB but he's not polished at all and his measurables are selling him to people.

Originally posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
                                Speaking of RT, what are we doing with Jennings? He's going to earn over 5Mil., and his cap hit would be just under 4 Mil. I believe. I say we dump his ass, it would be saving a million basically, because its not like he's going to play.
                                I think the plan is to drop him and save a million in the cap. Then, keep Snyder as the starter and draft a RT.
                                Last edited by Brent; 01-05-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information