Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll bring the 49ers Forum Mock discussion here.

Here's what I did as the GM for the 49ers:

*Note*
    It was only going to be the first three rounds, but they extended it to the fourth round as well.

Acquired:
    LB Bradie James - Dallas
    DE Jason Hatcher - Dallas
    OG Deuce Lutui - Arizona

Traded Away:
    OG Chilo Rachal - Dallas

Drafted:
    QB Ryan Mallet, Arkansas
    DE/OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
    CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida
    DT/DE Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson
    NT/DE Kenrick Ellis, Hampton
    DE Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State
    CB Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson

Here is what I was told the needs were:
    As of right now, top three needs going into the 2011 draft are -

1) QB - check
    2) CB - check
    3) 3-4 DE - check, 3-4 OLB - check, 3-4 ILB - check, RG - check*
    I still kept reading and reading about the 49ers to get a good idea of what you guys needed, and I felt that I addressed those needs.

Starting with the swap of guards, I feel that Lutui is a better fit for your line than Rachal was. For starters, it appears not many 49er fans were happy with Rachal starting, and while Lutui isn't an elite guard, he's a powerful guard who won't get shoved around like Rachal did (from what I understand).

Regarding Bradie James and Jason Hatcher, James is an experienced 3-4 ILB and Hatcher is a player than many Cowboys fans say should be starting in Marcus Spears' stead. I know you've got Willis, Spikes, and Bowman at LB and a couple of guys at DE already, but age is an issue in both cases, and depth never hurts. Spikes is 34 and probably won't play for much longer. James has been a starter for Dallas for some years now, and has been solid. Playing alongside Patrick Willis will make him look better. And if Bowman takes the starting job, then great, there's a quality LB for depth.

Hatcher is a pretty good pass-rusher for a 3-4 DE. Not a name many people know, but he's a bit under the radar. Again, not an elite player, but a guy who was competing for a starting job in training camp and many feel should be the starter over Marcus Spears.

Moving on to the draft, the top guys I was targeting were Jake Locker and Andrew Luck. Picking at #4, neither was there when it was my turn to pick. Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara were available, but I decided to take advantage of the talented class of CB's available and traded down to #22, where I took Ryan Mallet.

I considered taking Mallet before trading down, but I knew he'd be available later. I didn't think he'd be available at #22 though, I was actually targeting Brandon Harris with that pick and Christian Ponder later on.

After taking Mallet, Brandon Harris was still available and I tried to trade back up to take him, but Jacksonville wouldn't trade and took him with the next pick. With my next pick, I wanted to take either a CB or a 3-4 OLB, and when my pick arrived, I felt there was still some value at CB while not as much at OLB. I took Miller there, a player who I really like. I know you guys need another pass rusher, as Lawson isn't exactly great at pass rushing and neither is Haralson.

After that, I monitored how the CB's went. I was targeting Curtis Brown and Janoris Jenkins, both of whom were still available. When my pick arrived, Jenkins was still there and I took him. He's another player I really like and one who I felt should have been drafted much, much earlier.

With those three needs out of the way, I focused on the D-line and when my pick came up, I took Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson. Another guy I really like, Jenkins has the prototypical build for a 3-4 DE and has the skill set too. At this point, I know there are now two more 3-4 DE's on your roster, but I focused on the age of the players you have to take advantage of the players available and draft future replacements.

With the next pick, I decided to go BPA and Kenrick Ellis was the pick. Another player I felt should have been drafted earlier, Ellis has a great combination of size and agility. At 6'5 and 340 lbs., he's agile enough to kick out to end in a 3-4, but strong enough to handle the NT position. A versatile lineman who, again, is a future replacement for Franklin and co.

Next pick was another player who I couldn't pass up, and again, is a defensive lineman: Pernell McPhee from Mississippi State.

With my last pick I again decided to go BPA and found Clemson CB Marcus Gilchrist there. He's had some good showings lately and since 49ers need help at CB, I took him, regardless of taking Jarvis Jenkins earlier.

I know it might seem like a surplus of defensive linemen, but 4 of the 6 guys you have will be on the wrong side of 30 at the start of next season, and while Smith and Franklin are talented, I can't seem them playing at the same level after three years. Both will be 34, with retirement ensuing. It takes players a while to get the hang of playing 3-4 DE, so the more practice time and preparation time they get, the better.

Two cornerbacks, again, might seem like overkill, but they were BPA and I felt filled areas of need.

Didn't think I should draft offensive line, or RB, due to the players you guys already have. Didn't really like the players available at WR compared to the guys I took when it was my turn to pick, nor the safeties.

So that's about it.

Props to clover_jeez!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
      I'll bring the 49ers Forum Mock discussion here.

Here's what I did as the GM for the 49ers:

*Note*
      It was only going to be the first three rounds, but they extended it to the fourth round as well.

Acquired:
      LB Bradie James - Dallas
      DE Jason Hatcher - Dallas
      OG Deuce Lutui - Arizona

Traded Away:
      OG Chilo Rachal - Dallas

Drafted:
      QB Ryan Mallet, Arkansas
      DE/OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
      CB Janoris Jenkins, Florida
      DT/DE Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson
      NT/DE Kenrick Ellis, Hampton
      DE Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State
      CB Marcus Gilchrist, Clemson

Here is what I was told the needs were:

I still kept reading and reading about the 49ers to get a good idea of what you guys needed, and I felt that I addressed those needs.

Starting with the swap of guards, I feel that Lutui is a better fit for your line than Rachal was. For starters, it appears not many 49er fans were happy with Rachal starting, and while Lutui isn't an elite guard, he's a powerful guard who won't get shoved around like Rachal did (from what I understand).

Regarding Bradie James and Jason Hatcher, James is an experienced 3-4 ILB and Hatcher is a player than many Cowboys fans say should be starting in Marcus Spears' stead. I know you've got Willis, Spikes, and Bowman at LB and a couple of guys at DE already, but age is an issue in both cases, and depth never hurts. Spikes is 34 and probably won't play for much longer. James has been a starter for Dallas for some years now, and has been solid. Playing alongside Patrick Willis will make him look better. And if Bowman takes the starting job, then great, there's a quality LB for depth.

Hatcher is a pretty good pass-rusher for a 3-4 DE. Not a name many people know, but he's a bit under the radar. Again, not an elite player, but a guy who was competing for a starting job in training camp and many feel should be the starter over Marcus Spears.

Moving on to the draft, the top guys I was targeting were Jake Locker and Andrew Luck. Picking at #4, neither was there when it was my turn to pick. Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara were available, but I decided to take advantage of the talented class of CB's available and traded down to #22, where I took Ryan Mallet.

I considered taking Mallet before trading down, but I knew he'd be available later. I didn't think he'd be available at #22 though, I was actually targeting Brandon Harris with that pick and Christian Ponder later on.

After taking Mallet, Brandon Harris was still available and I tried to trade back up to take him, but Jacksonville wouldn't trade and took him with the next pick. With my next pick, I wanted to take either a CB or a 3-4 OLB, and when my pick arrived, I felt there was still some value at CB while not as much at OLB. I took Miller there, a player who I really like. I know you guys need another pass rusher, as Lawson isn't exactly great at pass rushing and neither is Haralson.

After that, I monitored how the CB's went. I was targeting Curtis Brown and Janoris Jenkins, both of whom were still available. When my pick arrived, Jenkins was still there and I took him. He's another player I really like and one who I felt should have been drafted much, much earlier.

With those three needs out of the way, I focused on the D-line and when my pick came up, I took Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson. Another guy I really like, Jenkins has the prototypical build for a 3-4 DE and has the skill set too. At this point, I know there are now two more 3-4 DE's on your roster, but I focused on the age of the players you have to take advantage of the players available and draft future replacements.

With the next pick, I decided to go BPA and Kenrick Ellis was the pick. Another player I felt should have been drafted earlier, Ellis has a great combination of size and agility. At 6'5 and 340 lbs., he's agile enough to kick out to end in a 3-4, but strong enough to handle the NT position. A versatile lineman who, again, is a future replacement for Franklin and co.

Next pick was another player who I couldn't pass up, and again, is a defensive lineman: Pernell McPhee from Mississippi State.

With my last pick I again decided to go BPA and found Clemson CB Marcus Gilchrist there. He's had some good showings lately and since 49ers need help at CB, I took him, regardless of taking Jarvis Jenkins earlier.

I know it might seem like a surplus of defensive linemen, but 4 of the 6 guys you have will be on the wrong side of 30 at the start of next season, and while Smith and Franklin are talented, I can't seem them playing at the same level after three years. Both will be 34, with retirement ensuing. It takes players a while to get the hang of playing 3-4 DE, so the more practice time and preparation time they get, the better.

Two cornerbacks, again, might seem like overkill, but they were BPA and I felt filled areas of need.

Didn't think I should draft offensive line, or RB, due to the players you guys already have. Didn't really like the players available at WR compared to the guys I took when it was my turn to pick, nor the safeties.

So that's about it.
      Good effort in the mock. Thx for explanation of your moves. Everything you did makes sense from a value standpoint. I wouldn't be too excited about Lutui as the long term answer at RG but he's been way better that Rachal. There aren't any veteran stars that you acquired so the Draft class would have to produce some studs for this to be a good offseason; otherwise there would be a lot of depth.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Traded Away:
        OG Chilo Rachal - Dallas
        Nobody is dumb enough to trade for Rachal on purpose. Not even Jerry Jones, but who can say? There will be a new coaching staff there just like in 49erland before the April draft.
        Last edited by LizardState; 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          let's be frank, Harbaugh makes too much sense for this team.
          Plus, he's Michigan's next coach. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
            Plus, he's Michigan's next coach. :D
            I love you sniper, but an NFL HC job > Michigan

unless, it's the Bills.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
              I'll bring the 49ers Forum Mock discussion here.
              I commented earlier in the Forum "Moves" thread. To clarify...

Thanks so much for your participation as 49ers GM. I would like to apologize for my lack of presence during the drafting to help with anything if you needed it but you appear to have done a wonderful job.

Adding a 1st round QB, one of the top 3-4 OLB prospects and a tremendous CB (Jenkins was a steal) you pretty much did as well as could be asked in the first 3 rounds. My only issues, and they are of my own personal taste and nothing more...

I wasn't a fan of the trades. I don't revere James or Lutui as highly as some. I'm also not a fan of Mallett. I'm also unsure of adding so much along the front 3 but I understand your reasoning.

Again, I give you props for your participation and would love to work with you should we get a chance at any future mock activity.
              +

Comment

• What does this game tell us about the QB prospects for next year? Looks like Luck just dominated Locker in every way possible, head-to-head:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=303030264

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                  What does this game tell us about the QB prospects for next year? Looks like Luck just dominated Locker in every way possible, head-to-head:

I definitely favor Luck, but their head-to-head statistics aren't a good indicator. Luck's supporting cast and O-Line are world's above that of Locker's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                    What does this game tell us about the QB prospects for next year? Looks like Luck just dominated Locker in every way possible, head-to-head:

Tells us nothing. Luck had all day to throw on every drop back while Locker was running for his life

Comment

• My (realisitic) 2011 team roster :)

I'm bored as hell on my day off from work but I wanted to post a more realistic team roster for 2011. :)

HEAD COACH - Jon Gruden
                      OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR - Marty Mornhinweg (if available), otherwise, have no idea but I dont want Kyle Shanahan or an OC who could be a potential HC within the next few years.
                      DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR - Jim Mora (4-3) or Wade Phillips (3-4). I like both and depending on what scheme we run, would determine who I would go after. Best of all, I dont see either ever getting another shot at a head coaching job which is good for us.

OFFENSE

QB - Donovan McNabb (UFA/2 or 3yrs), Nate Davis, Jake Locker (Draft/1)

With Shanahan benching NcNabb, a worse OL than ours, an aging WR in Moss, no franchise RB and a defense that sucks and was/is better suited to run the 4-3, it's highly unlikely that McNabb will want to stay in WSH. Mike Shanahan is an idiot and no thanks whatsoever to Kyle. Dont want either. Never have, never will. I would have liked to see Davis start the second half of the season because I honestly would like to see him become a good young quality backup QB. While it depends on our record and whether or not we can sign McNabb, I would STILL draft Locker. A senior who played in a pro style offense can be third and just learn until its his time to replace McNabb ala Rodgers/Favre.

RB - Frank Gore, Darren Sproles (UFA), Anthony Dixon

While I must admit im a fan of DeAngelo Williams and would have looked into replacing Gore with him, doesnt make a lot of sense to do so plus would cost too much money that could be spent elsewhere. With Sproles playing under the franchise tag this year, I seriously doubt that SD franchises him again. I do think that Sproles will hit free agency and he'll be the perfect finesse/ speed back that we need to compliment Gore. Dixon returns as the third stringer who should see playing time either way.

FB - Maybe, LeRon McClain??? Honestly, I have no damn idea. LOL.

WR - Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Dominique Zeigler, Ted Ginn, Kyle Williams

I like the receivers the way they are now and wouldnt add any to the mix except for possibly T.O. (washed up my ass!!!) to reunite him with McNabb. Other than T.O., I keep the WR group as is.

TE - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, Nate Byham

Set. :)

C - Davis Baas (re-signed), Eric Heitmann, Tony Wragge (re-signed)

I was hoping Mangold would hit UFA but obviously, thats not going to happen since he has already signed an extension with the Jets. I think Baas has played better at center than he has at guard in his 49ers career and is still young enough to give a solid contract to for the next few years. I would keep Heitmann or the final year of his contract and re-sign Wragge to a one year deal.

OG - Mike Iupati, Logan Mankins (UFA), Adam Snyder, Chilo Rachal

Iupati is set at LG. Mankins will be 29 in March and while $7m a year is probably high, I dont care because Rachal sucks and shouldnt be a starter. Mankins would have to adjust playing RG but he's a six year veteran and I dont think he'll have any problems with the switch to the right side. I also believe that a veteran like Mankins will dramatically improve RT Anythony Davis. I keep Rachal for the final season of his contract unless I can get at least a 4th rounder for him. Snyder would be the main backup.

OT - Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Barry Sims (re-signed), Alex Boone

Staley and Davis are set. I re-sign Sims to a one year deal while also keeping Boone and hope he can improve enough to let Sims leave in 2012 and take over as the top backup at OT in 2012.

<continued>

Comment

• Dan what is the point of bringing in McNabb? His skills are clearly declining and, looking at rookie QBs the last few years, if the team takes a QB high in round 1 he is likely going to be the starter on opening day. I'm not saying you shouldn't have veteran insurance but McNabb is going to command a big deal and IMO I think he ends up with Arizona.

Like the idea of Kyle Shanahan. Another guy I would love to see the team make a run at as OC is Josh McDaniels. If he doesn't make it past next year he would be a great addition. Love the spread offense he runs.
                        Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?; 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Dan, your boy McNabb got benched by your boy Shanahan yesterday in favor of Rex Grossman.

REX GROSSMAN.

I'll pass on McNabb in a Niners uniform next year.

Oh, and I know you want them to claim Randy Moss too. Not happening.

Comment

• My (realisitic) 2011 team roster :)

3-4 DEFENSE -

DE - Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald (re-signed), Demetric Evans (re-signed to a one year deal)

3-4 wise, there's not much out there that would be worth signing. Only player would be Ngata but even I know he's not leaving the Ravens. Stays the same.

NT - Aubrayo Franklin (franchised), Ricky Jean Francois

Also stays the same. I franchise Franklin and either keep him for 2011 or trade him during the 2011 off-season. One thing is for sure, I would NOT allow him to leave as an UFA or give him an extension.

OLB - Manny Lawson (re-signed), Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson

Would definitely re-sign Lawson (who im now leaning towards more than Goldson) no matter what. He's too valuable a player to let walk. Haralson would be the backup as I would like to start Brooks opposite Lawson even though he hasnt done anything this season but he's also been injured so I'll cut him some slack.

ILB - Patick Willis, David Harris (UFA), Navarro Bowman, Scott McKillop

Stays the same as this year but with Harris replacing Spikes next to Willis. I dont think Harris will be allowed to leave as an UFA and could be franchised but with all the other potential free agents the Jets have, there is a slim chance that they let him leave. If they do and we're still running the 3-4, welcome to SF Mr. Harris. :)

CB - Shawntae Spencer, Richard Marshall (UFA), Tarrell Brown, Phillip Adams

I seriously doubt that we'll keep Clements unless he takes a pay-cut and/or re-does his contract. Either way, I go after Marshall who's a pretty damn good CB and while he would be expensive, releasing Clements would even it out. Only difference is that we'll have a younger CB who's just as good and has upside. Brown comes back as the nickelback or dimeback depending on what happens draft wise. Would love to get CB Patrick Peterson but I dobt that will happen but whoever the best cover corner is in round two would be drafted with the hopes that he'll replace Spencer in 2013.

SS - Taylor Mays, Curtis Taylor

Set.

FS - O.J. Atogwe (UFA), Reggie Smith

If Smith isnt ready to finally start at FS, I sign Atogwe to a one year deal who'll be a UFA in March.

4-3 DEFENSE -

DE - Justin Smith, Manny Lawson (re-signed), Ray McDonald (re-signed), Parys Haralson

If we go back to the 4-3 defense, I re-sign Lawson, tell him to get up to 255 and move him to LDE which means he'll be going against teams RT's. I honestly think Lawson can be a good pass rushing DE. He just needs to add the weight which would give him more power and leverage.

DT - Albert Haynesworth (trade), Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois

If we go back to the 4-3, I try to trade Franklin to WSH for Haynesworth. WSH gets their NT who wants to play NT and we get a DT who wants to play DT. Haynesworth has two years left on his contract after 2010 while Franklin would be under the franchise tag. Probably not going to happen but its definitely realistic when you think about it and would make a lot of sense for both team. If I cant trade Franklin for Haynesworth, I would definitely try trading my third rounder for him. Imagine having Haynesworth and Franklin at DT. I also think having Haynesworth next to Lawson would be great for Lawson because most teams would concentrate on Haynesworth which should leave Lawson one on one with the RT. Would prefer to trade Franklin for Haynesworth instead of a third rounder but either way, would be happy.

OLB - Ahmad Brooks, NaVarro Bowman

Brooks and Bowman would be the starters. Would probably try to sign a veteran 4-3 OLB and draft one as well.

MLB - Patrick Willis, Scott McKillop

Willis is set obviously. Would most likely sign or draft an MLB to backup Willis.

CB - Shawntae Spencer, Richard Marshall (UFA), Tarell Brown, Phillip Adams
                            SS - Taylor Mays, Curtis Taylor
                            FS - O.J. Atogwe (UFA/one year), Reggie Smith

Same as if we're running the 3-4 defense.

SPECIAL TEAMS -

K - Joe Nedney
                            P - Andy Lee
                            LS - Brian Jennings
                            KR/PR - Sproles, Ginn, Williams, Adams

Thoughts???

Comment

• Dan, where exactly was the realistic part LOL. I don't think we're going to sign all the top free agents next year. Maybe one. That's about it.
                              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• We should make a push for Moss. It's the Bye week, we need a tall deep threat, why not? It would make the season more entertaining if anything.

Also, lol@ any Mcnabb talk, that dude has been a major flop. Pretty glad we didn't give up two early picks to get him.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information