This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by binary View Post
    Agreed. But how can any QB "dominate" or be consistently productive in this Offense, we spend 3 quarters trying to "establish the run."
    Singletary and Mike Johnson will most likely be out at the end of the season. So you won't have to worry about that much longer.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Troy played in the same crap Offense Alex played in, and he played really well . For that I give him credit, his numbers were better than anything Alex has put up in the last couple years. Unfortunately, most of it was the result of pure luck, and playing against a really bad football team. Troy gets two pretty easy opponents at home, and then a tough one at Green Bay, we'll see what he's made of for real. Something tells me we're going to be disappointed, so I'm not going to be holding by breath.
      I said it before but Troy's game was basically the same as Alex's against the Raiders except that Troy's numbers were only close to as good as Alex's because of luck and because the Broncos are much worse than the Raiders.

to all the alex smith-justin bieber fanboys:

straight from espn,

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has this to say about 49ers quarterback Troy Smith: "What impressed me most about Troy Smith was the feel he demonstrated in the pocket for sidestepping the rush and creating space to get rid of the ball. That is something Alex Smith needs to work on. The 49ers avoided getting sacked in a game for only the second time this season. A quarterback who can make subtle adjustments in the pocket and get rid of the ball on time can make an offensive line look very good."
      Alex knows how to avoid the rush as well, maybe not quite as well as Troy, but the Broncos pass rush is terrible and Troy only had to avoid the rush a couple of times. He did not get rid of the ball any earlier than Alex has, he just had more time.

Eric Branch of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says the 49ers handed off on 29 of their first 42 plays against the Broncos. Branch: "Anyway, Smith, as you know, took advantage of his six fourth-quarter passes, completing five for 110 yards and a touchdown. He finished with a 115.2 quarterback rating, a figure Alex Smith has topped twice In 50 career games, and didn't have a turnover, a feat Alex Smith has managed in six of his past 17 games."
      He had a great 4th quarter after playing poorly for the first 3 quarters, exactly like Alex did two week ago against the Raiders. They basically played the same game but after the Raider game it was all about the defense and the running game and Alex Smith sucked but now it is all about how Troy Smith is just a winner. You have to be kidding me. Troy also should have had 2 turnovers, a fumble and an interception, but was extremely lucky. He also did not mention that 2 of those 6 games have been Alex's last 2 games.

Monty Poole of Bay Area News Group says Troy Smith has earned the starting job for the 49ers. Poole: "As much as I've defended Alex over the years, so much about him was exposed Sunday and will linger into this bye week. Though I still believe Alex is the best pure passer on the roster, he has yet to offer anything of substance to suggest he will be a consistent winner. In the end, that's the truest measure of any quarterback. Troy Smith, whose start was the brainchild of coach Mike Singletary's desperation, exhibited at least some of that quality."

can we just cut alex now?
      What did Troy Smith do that people are all over his nuts for? He got lucky on a deep pass and hit a wide open Crabtree for a touchdown. Other than that he played at least as poorly as Alex has since Johnson took over. People seem to forget that without two penalties that really did not have an affect on the play the Broncos would have had 2 more touchdowns and we would have lost. Is that what Troy Smith brings to the table, luck and penalties on the other team? Might as well sign him to a 6 year, $60 million extension and name him the starting QB for life.

Lets not forget that if Alex had not gotten injured then we probably would have won at Carolina and I am pretty sure we would have beaten the Broncos as well. Since Johnson took over Alex has 7 touchdowns to 4 interceptions, 1 coming when his arm got hit and 2 more coming in Johnson's first game calling plays. He was clearly playing well, especially when he was actually allowed to run the offense instead of being handcuffed.

Comment

• abaddon clearly doesn't value leadership.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
          Singletary and Mike Johnson will most likely be out at the end of the season. So you won't have to worry about that much longer.
          This team will go 8-8 based on the weakness of the schedule and their talent alone. I'm very worried about Sing staying right now, Jed loves the dude and will think of any excuse to keep him around.

Comment

• are people more concerned with alex's stats, wins, being hit in the back, and would have won this had this not happened scenarios? i thought winning overruled any other observation?

personally, i could care less who is at qb at this point. does alex gives us the best chance to win? yes he does that being said he has to play & finish games. not overthrow, zero in on 1 guy, among other costly mistakes we always seem to cover up on this site & we seem to be the only people to ever defend the guy. his time, sing, johnson, & the entire coaching staff need to be gone. it's election day & changes come with that. we need to see something different.

offensive minded coach, a coordinator that knows how to handle a qb & will not leave after a season, and working still on a defense who gives up too many plays on 3rd and deep. there is other pressing needs besides qb but we all know that a good qb can lead a team and win. something we are not used to under the smith administration.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
              to all the alex smith-justin bieber fanboys:

straight from espn,

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has this to say about 49ers quarterback Troy Smith: "What impressed me most about Troy Smith was the feel he demonstrated in the pocket for sidestepping the rush and creating space to get rid of the ball. That is something Alex Smith needs to work on. The 49ers avoided getting sacked in a game for only the second time this season. A quarterback who can make subtle adjustments in the pocket and get rid of the ball on time can make an offensive line look very good ."

Eric Branch of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says the 49ers handed off on 29 of their first 42 plays against the Broncos. Branch: "Anyway, Smith, as you know, took advantage of his six fourth-quarter passes, completing five for 110 yards and a touchdown. He finished with a 115.2 quarterback rating, a figure Alex Smith has topped twice In 50 career games, and didn't have a turnover, a feat Alex Smith has managed in six of his past 17 games."

Monty Poole of Bay Area News Group says Troy Smith has earned the starting job for the 49ers. Poole: "As much as I've defended Alex over the years, so much about him was exposed Sunday and will linger into this bye week. Though I still believe Alex is the best pure passer on the roster, he has yet to offer anything of substance to suggest he will be a consistent winner. In the end, that's the truest measure of any quarterback. Troy Smith, whose start was the brainchild of coach Mike Singletary's desperation, exhibited at least some of that quality."

can we just cut alex now?
              High praise indeed, the mention made of his pocket movement or escapability is major difference between them. Those were crucial to his getting those 4th qtr passes completed.

Remember when the announcers said No turnovers yet, 1st one late in the game could be the deciding factor, I posted on the game thread they jinxed somebody then. And they did, it was Orton who lost the fumble after the Lawson chop. We've seen waaaaaay too many games when it was Alex who got tackled b/c he's a statue back there & couldn't juke the oncoming pass rusher & lost the fumble more often than not -- that's a + Troy & a - Alex as far as the 9er Smith QBs go, hard to miss it.

And more kudos for Lawson! He isn't the world's greatest pass rusher or The Answer as for the missing 9ers pass rush everyone talked about for the past 2 preseasons & seasons, but with Justin Smith being negated with dbl. teams the OLBs have to pick it up & Manny Lawson has been my game ball winner, really stepped it up past few games. I say resign him in his contract yr, don't let him get away. He's not Okrapo or Demarcus Ware but he fits the underrated 9ers defense nicely.

Note how Taylor Mays stunk things up at SS, rookie errors compounded on clueless, he was way out of position most of the game, the Lloyd TD was on him. 4.2 speed was useless when Lloyd streaked behind him for 6.

Good team effort for the win, they didn't kill themselves with penalties, & it was the broncos who drew most of the flags at the wrong times to kill drives. Maybe the neutral field helped.

Nedney missed a FG he should've made but it was like 50+ yds. -- in a dome he should've made. He's 37 yrs old but I don't think he's retiring yet, he's from here in San Jose (SJ St.) & finishing a long stellar career with his hometown, & has been dependable 85-90% of the time in clutch situations.

2-6, not pretty win by any means but there's good stuff happening to build on for the upcoming 2nd half of the season, there's enough talent there despite a substandard coaching staff & FO IMO to turn it around.

Comment

• Alex is many things but he is far from a statue. He eludes pressure very well but his problem is he takes off too early and when he does take off he usually throws the ball away or checks it down.

Comment

This team will go 8-8 based on the weakness of the schedule and their talent alone. I'm very worried about Sing staying right now, Jed loves the dude and will think of any excuse to keep him around.
                  You really think this team can go 6-2 in the next 8 games? I can't see it, not under Singletary.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                    Note how Taylor Mays stunk things up at SS, rookie errors compounded on clueless, he was way out of position most of the game, the Lloyd TD was on him. 4.2 speed was useless when Lloyd streaked behind him for 6.

I'm pretty sure his 4.2 speed allowed him to catch Lloyd before he scored - lead to the Tebow punch in from 1 yard out.

And for the HUGE knocks on May's coverage abilities, he really hasn't been a liability back there since he took over. I remember him making a great play on the ball against Steve Smith. But yes, he got caught napping back there against Lloyd - but it would have been 6 for sure if it were anyone else back there.
                    Originally posted by Babylon
                    It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      I dont even think Troy is better than Alex. The only difference between the two is that Singletary seems to be intent on riding Troy where as with Alex, I dont think that he ever wanted him to do good because if he did, he would let Alex run the offense instead of himself but thats just me.

Jake Locker will hopefully be our future QB but I wouldnt be surprised if Troy does good enough to where we are all having this exact same conversation in a year from now.
                      Don't you think he's riding Troy right now not because he's more talented then Alex, but maybe he actually won a game? It's to early to tell since Troy has started one game, but it's clear that Alex Smith and David Carr can't win football games consistently.

And i don't understand your statement saying that he didn't want Alex to do good, im quessing you mean he never really trusted him? Sing and the rest of the niner front office made it pretty darn clear all offseaon that Alex was the guy.

Why should Sing trust Alex Smith to run the offense? What has he done in his career to show that he can handle that? The only guy in the league that really runs the offense is Peyton Manning, and he's proven that he can do it.

I don't see much point in using Alex for the rest of the season, unless we don't care if we lose. He has lost us how many games this season? Sure, they weren't all his fault, but the successful quarterbacks in this league find a way to win.

Comment

abaddon clearly doesn't value leadership.
                        lol I guess I don't. Though I find it strange that Alex was named a captain before the season and that everyone close to the 49ers (coaches, players, beat writers) was raving all offseason about his leadership but now that is what the team has been missing? Sounds to me like Singletary is just trying to blame someone else to save his own behind, just like Nolan did when he said that there was nothing wrong with Alex's shoulder.

I hope it doesn't work and that Singletary does not retain his job until next season like Nolan did in 2007 but it is shaping up that way. The 49ers will win a handful of games in the second half of the year no matter who is at QB, I firmly believe that, because the schedule is significantly easier and because the 49ers have better players than almost every team remaining on their schedule. Singletary will stay, Manusky will stay, Troy Smith will get a new contract, Alex will be scapegoated as the reason the 49ers were losing, and we will suck to start off next season and Singletary will be fired.

I don't see much point in using Alex for the rest of the season, unless we don't care if we lose. He has lost us how many games this season? Sure, they weren't all his fault, but the successful quarterbacks in this league find a way to win.
                        And Troy Smith won us the game Sunday, right? It had nothing to do with a great play by Delanie Walker, better offensive line play, and questionable calls that brought back 2 Bronco touchdowns.
                        Last edited by abaddon41_80; 11-03-2010, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-10-1...iners-ted-ginn

Alex Smith -- 1 fumble lost + 2 INTs in a 5-turnover game vs. Philly.

In 7 games, 3 fumbles, 1 lost, & those 9 INTs, on the + side with 9 TDs. Not as bad as J.T. O'Sullivan with holding the ball waaaay too long, granted, but there it is.

And for the HUGE knocks on May's coverage abilities, he really hasn't been a liability back there since he took over. I remember him making a great play on the ball against Steve Smith. But yes, he got caught napping back there against Lloyd - but it would have been 6 for sure if it were anyone else back there.
                          He's a rookie, & there is big learning curve to play safety in the NFL vs. receivers of that caliber. He's doing it OJT & that's drinking from the firehose imo. At least he's not letting guys get behind almost every game like Lewis did.

Comment

• Movement is a good thing until it is a horrible thing.

Aaron Brooks would of done his team a favor on some plays taking a sack.

Need to see more of Troy for a decent judgment. Some good but that heave was lucky to be in the direction of an old maybe 6-0 Brian Dawkins.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                              And Troy Smith won us the game Sunday, right? It had nothing to do with a great play by Delanie Walker, better offensive line play, and questionable calls that brought back 2 Bronco touchdowns.
                              Troy was able to escape pressure with his feet, make several key good throws, and most importantly, he didn't turnover the ball.

I'm not saying Troy is our future quarterback, but he has shown he can make plays and win.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                                Troy was able to escape pressure with his feet, make several key good throws, and most importantly, he didn't turnover the ball.

I'm not saying Troy is our future quarterback, but he has shown he can make plays and win.
                                I'll ask again, how was Troy's game any different than Alex's against the Raiders?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information