This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawkeye123
    Don't you think he's riding Troy right now not because he's more talented then Alex, but maybe he actually won a game? It's to early to tell since Troy has started one game, but it's clear that Alex Smith and David Carr can't win football games consistently.

And i don't understand your statement saying that he didn't want Alex to do good, im quessing you mean he never really trusted him? Sing and the rest of the niner front office made it pretty darn clear all offseaon that Alex was the guy.

Why should Sing trust Alex Smith to run the offense? What has he done in his career to show that he can handle that? The only guy in the league that really runs the offense is Peyton Manning, and he's proven that he can do it.

I don't see much point in using Alex for the rest of the season, unless we don't care if we lose. He has lost us how many games this season? Sure, they weren't all his fault, but the successful quarterbacks in this league find a way to win.
    No, Singletary is riding Troy because he's the guy Singletary signed himself and sees as yet another "pet project" compared to Alex who is basically a left over from the previous regime. Carr sucks and im still trying to figure out why we signed him. Everyone here can tell you that I was probably the only person who wanted to keep Hill as the backup to Smith with Davis third. Consistently??? Troy played like crap for three quarters and gets lucky in the fourth? Thats being consistent? If you mean consistently bad for 3/4 the game and then lucky, I agree.

What coaches say, think and do are three different things. I dont trust or believe anything that Singletary says just like I did with Nolan because neither one knows or knew what they were doing. Smith was the guy because the front office wanted to see what he can do and what's Singletary going to do? Disagree? He went along with it and once Smith did bad (which isnt all on him) and then got hurt which is the perfect excuse for Sing to go with Troy.

Why should Sing trust Troy to run the offense??? WTF has he done? He's dones less than Ryan Leaf so give me a break. Sing never wanted Alex to succeed but I can guarantee that he wants Troy to succeed because guess who signed him? Thats right, it was Sing. The reason why Smith played bad is more on Sing, a crappy OC who's just following Sing and a crappy OL (mainly Rachal who Sing for whatever reason loves) than it is on Alex.

I'm not the biggest Alex Smith fan (in fact, far from it) but I know a screwjob when I see one and like Nolan, Alex is basically being screwed yet again by management who know as much now as they did back in 2004 - NOTHING.

And dont compare Manning to Alex. Unlike Alex, Manning actually has a management team that KNOWS what they're doing year in and year out. We dont have that and never will.

Successful quarterbacks win because they arent limited to what they can do. Alex was limited from day one and the play-calling sucked. You can go back to the season opening loss in SEA. Sorry, but calling a run and pass play to your FB sums it all up right there.

And I wouldnt start Alex after the bye but I wouldnt start Troy either. I would start Nate Davis and see how he does. The reason why Sing is going with Troy is because Troy is his "own" guy that he signed and if Troy can go 6-2 after the bye (which he will), it will save Sing's job for the third and final season of his contract, the team will re-sign Troy as the starter, we'll start out worse next season then we did this year (and yes, that is possible), Sing will get fired mid-season, Manusky or Johnson will be the interim HC and we will all be hoping for a damn good HC but whoever the interim HC is at that ime will "wow" management with some bullcrap plan and we'll be in the same situation in 2012 that we've been in since 2003.

You can quote me or whatever. Mark my words. You can just see this happening. RIP 49ers 1946-2002.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
      This team will go 8-8 based on the weakness of the schedule and their talent alone. I'm very worried about Sing staying right now, Jed loves the dude and will think of any excuse to keep him around.
      Singletary isn't coming back. Jed York isn't that stupid and he'd be grilled in the media for it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
        Singletary isn't coming back. Jed York isn't that stupid and he'd be grilled in the media for it.
        I thought that before too but I am not so sure anymore. Fans seem to actually be buying into this Troy Smith being good and I think he will continue at or around the same level of play, which is no different than Alex's level, for the rest of the year and that we will finish 7-9 or 8-8.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          No, Singletary is riding Troy because he's the guy Singletary signed himself and sees as yet another "pet project" compared to Alex who is basically a left over from the previous regime. Carr sucks and im still trying to figure out why we signed him. Everyone here can tell you that I was probably the only person who wanted to keep Hill as the backup to Smith with Davis third. Consistently??? Troy played like crap for three quarters and gets lucky in the fourth? Thats being consistent? If you mean consistently bad for 3/4 the game and then lucky, I agree.

What coaches say, think and do are three different things. I dont trust or believe anything that Singletary says just like I did with Nolan because neither one knows or knew what they were doing. Smith was the guy because the front office wanted to see what he can do and what's Singletary going to do? Disagree? He went along with it and once Smith did bad (which isnt all on him) and then got hurt which is the perfect excuse for Sing to go with Troy.

Why should Sing trust Troy to run the offense??? WTF has he done? He's dones less than Ryan Leaf so give me a break. Sing never wanted Alex to succeed but I can guarantee that he wants Troy to succeed because guess who signed him? Thats right, it was Sing. The reason why Smith played bad is more on Sing, a crappy OC who's just following Sing and a crappy OL (mainly Rachal who Sing for whatever reason loves) than it is on Alex.

I'm not the biggest Alex Smith fan (in fact, far from it) but I know a screwjob when I see one and like Nolan, Alex is basically being screwed yet again by management who know as much now as they did back in 2004 - NOTHING.

And dont compare Manning to Alex. Unlike Alex, Manning actually has a management team that KNOWS what they're doing year in and year out. We dont have that and never will.

Successful quarterbacks win because they arent limited to what they can do. Alex was limited from day one and the play-calling sucked. You can go back to the season opening loss in SEA. Sorry, but calling a run and pass play to your FB sums it all up right there.

And I wouldnt start Alex after the bye but I wouldnt start Troy either. I would start Nate Davis and see how he does. The reason why Sing is going with Troy is because Troy is his "own" guy that he signed and if Troy can go 6-2 after the bye (which he will), it will save Sing's job for the third and final season of his contract, the team will re-sign Troy as the starter, we'll start out worse next season then we did this year (and yes, that is possible), Sing will get fired mid-season, Manusky or Johnson will be the interim HC and we will all be hoping for a damn good HC but whoever the interim HC is at that ime will "wow" management with some bullcrap plan and we'll be in the same situation in 2012 that we've been in since 2003.

You can quote me or whatever. Mark my words. You can just see this happening. RIP 49ers 1946-2002.
          I didn't say anything about Troy being consistent. He wasn't. He wasn't playing that great for 3/4 of the game, that is true.

I said that Alex Smith has been terribly inconsistent all year, and i'm tired of making and hearing excuses for him.

Troy Smith has been with the team for around 2 months or so, had only one week of practice with the first team and he looked better then Alex.

And saying Troy was lucky in that game is stupid, he was making good reads, he saw Walker down field open, Bailey and Dawkins weren't that close initiality, and on the play where he scored to Crabs, he saw that he was 1 on 1.

The biggest difference between Troy and Alex that i have seen is the decision making.
          Last edited by hawkeye123; 11-03-2010, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
            I didn't say anything about Troy being consistent. He wasn't. He wasn't playing that great for 3/4 of the game, that is true.

I said that Alex Smith has been terribly inconsistent all year, and i'm tired of making and hearing excuses for him.

Troy Smith has been with the team for around 2 months or so, had only one week of practice with the first team and he looked better then Alex.
            No he didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
              And saying Troy was lucky in that game is stupid, he was making good reads, he saw Walker down field open, Bailey and Dawkins weren't that close initiality, and on the play where he scored to Crabs, he saw that he was 1 on 1.

The biggest difference between Troy and Alex that i have seen is the decision making.
              I had to chuckle when I read this, wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
                to all the alex smith-justin bieber fanboys:

straight from espn,

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has this to say about 49ers quarterback Troy Smith: "What impressed me most about Troy Smith was the feel he demonstrated in the pocket for sidestepping the rush and creating space to get rid of the ball. That is something Alex Smith needs to work on. The 49ers avoided getting sacked in a game for only the second time this season. A quarterback who can make subtle adjustments in the pocket and get rid of the ball on time can make an offensive line look very good."

Eric Branch of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says the 49ers handed off on 29 of their first 42 plays against the Broncos. Branch: "Anyway, Smith, as you know, took advantage of his six fourth-quarter passes, completing five for 110 yards and a touchdown. He finished with a 115.2 quarterback rating, a figure Alex Smith has topped twice In 50 career games, and didn't have a turnover, a feat Alex Smith has managed in six of his past 17 games."

Monty Poole of Bay Area News Group says Troy Smith has earned the starting job for the 49ers. Poole: "As much as I've defended Alex over the years, so much about him was exposed Sunday and will linger into this bye week. Though I still believe Alex is the best pure passer on the roster, he has yet to offer anything of substance to suggest he will be a consistent winner. In the end, that's the truest measure of any quarterback. Troy Smith, whose start was the brainchild of coach Mike Singletary's desperation, exhibited at least some of that quality."

can we just cut alex now?
                http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...he-smiths.html
                "Everything he's done this offseason, to me, exemplifies leadership and the character that we want on this football team ... If he's not a leader, then he wouldn't be a captain on this team. Hopefully you want that position (quarterback) to be a leader, and fortunately we have that this year." -- Mike Singletary on Alex Smith being named a team captain, Sept. 8

"One thing that you have in a David Carr or in a Troy Smith, you have guys that can do it. It's just that the guy I felt was best for the job was Alex Smith. I'm not about jumping on a wagon and jumping off a wagon; I'm not like that. I feel that I'm going to support him until it comes to that place where he shows me that he is not that guy, that he can't do it. And he has not shown me that yet." -- Singletary after nearly benching Smith during 27-24 loss to Eagles, Oct. 11.

You can keep coming on here and blaming Alex Smith for everything but the problems are deeper then the QB. I got no problem if you want him benched but it's like the 60,000(more like 30,000 that were still left) people who chanted "We Want Carr" like mindless sheep and always want to scapegoat the QB position because they are stuck in the past in terms of what they expect out of QBs. It starts at the top and the philosphy that they choose to handcuff this team with for the last 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                  You can keep coming on here and blaming Alex Smith for everything but the problems are deeper then the QB. I got no problem if you want him benched but it's like the 60,000(more like 30,000 that were still left) people who chanted "We Want Carr" like mindless sheep and always want to scapegoat the QB position because they are stuck in the past in terms of what they expect out of QBs. It starts at the top and the philosphy that they choose to handcuff this team with for the last 5 years.
                  I wouldn't blame Alex for everything, but I am of the opinion that he hasn't lived up to expectations and a good amount of that is just on him as a player. The decisions coming from upstairs aren't going to effect the rocket velocity that Alex Smith throws on a short dump off, resulting in a tipped ball for an interception...or it won't effect Alex Smith's bad intuition when playing on the football field. Sometimes a bad player is just a bad player and it's simple as that.

Comment

I wouldn't blame Alex for everything, but I am of the opinion that he hasn't lived up to expectations and a good amount of that is just on him as a player. The decisions coming from upstairs aren't going to effect the rocket velocity that Alex Smith throws on a short dump off, resulting in a tipped ball for an interception...or it won't effect Alex Smith's bad intuition when playing on the football field. Sometimes a bad player is just a bad player and it's simple as that.
                    I agree with you, the guy totally underachieved this year, he was a big part of the team's failure. That ATL game could've been a huge turning point, and all we needed was for Alex not to mess up a 14-0 lead, and he did. However, there is still a part of me that is curious to see how he would do with good offensive coaching and gameplanning. Look how much he improved just with the firing of Raye, it was a pretty dramatic improvement; we didn't even start using Crabtree until Raye was gone either, Raye/Sing handcuffed every weapon on Offense except Gore. It will be interesting to see where Alex goes and how he does in the future, and if he succeeds we will likely be left with nothing, which would suck.

Comment

I agree with you, the guy totally underachieved this year, he was a big part of the team's failure. That ATL game could've been a huge turning point, and all we needed was for Alex not to mess up a 14-0 lead, and he did. However, there is still a part of me that is curious to see how he would do with good offensive coaching and gameplanning. Look how much he improved just with the firing of Raye, it was a pretty dramatic improvement; we didn't even start using Crabtree until Raye was gone either, Raye/Sing handcuffed every weapon on Offense except Gore. It will be interesting to see where Alex goes and how he does in the future, and if he succeeds we will likely be left with nothing, which would suck.
                      5 years just haven't been enough? i'm done with the " let's see what he can do with a new offensive coach / had he not got hurt/did u see his game against the raiders" enough is enough. winning should over ride anything over stats.

winning is something i am sad to say i'm not used to seeing from my favorite team. smith, coaching staff, and defensively we stink. smith isn't all the issue but yes it is TIME for that change to come.

troy, carr, a.smith, or davis @ this point it doesn't matter. there has been a handful of games this season that sf was up & all the qb needed to do was play " zoo keeper " and manage the game...again they find ways to get cute. whether it was their fault or sings who cares. didn't work. what we have currently right now is not working. 2-6 is not an acceptable record for a division i thought we would have swept.
                      Last edited by chapo123; 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

there has been a handful of games this season that sf was up & all the qb needed to do was play " zoo keeper " and manage the game...again they find ways to get cute.
                        Aside from the ATL game, could you bring up another example of this that involved Alex? Because what I saw was the worst running game in the league and a penalty riddled Oline having to be bailed out by a QB put in numerous 3rd and longs. None of the games I've seen aside from ATL had any hint of the need for a "game manager", especially with out D giving up copious yardage through the air (and ground) and a crappy, predictable running game.

Comment

5 years just haven't been enough? i'm done with the " let's see what he can do with a new offensive coach / had he not got hurt/did u see his game against the raiders" enough is enough. winning should over ride anything over stats.

winning is something i am sad to say i'm not used to seeing from my favorite team. smith, coaching staff, and defensively we stink. smith isn't all the issue but yes it is TIME for that change to come.

troy, carr, a.smith, or davis @ this point it doesn't matter. there has been a handful of games this season that sf was up & all the qb needed to do was play " zoo keeper " and manage the game...again they find ways to get cute. whether it was their fault or sings who cares. didn't work. what we have currently right now is not working. 2-6 is not an acceptable record for a division i thought we would have swept.
                          Winning should never override stats because winning is a team accomplishment, not a QB accomplishment. Troy Smith did not win the game for the 49ers any more than Alex has lost games for the 49ers, save at Atlanta where Alex really was the main reason we lost. If winning is all on the QB then Vince Young is good and Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning.

Comment

Even if we had the best coaching in the NFL, I wouldn't want Alex here anymore. Let me put it that way. That is what I think of him as a player.

Comment

Even if we had the best coaching in the NFL, I wouldn't want Alex here anymore. Let me put it that way. That is what I think of him as a player.
                              I think that the damage is pretty much done at this point. Alex is just a shell shocked yes man that is too concerned with playing not to lose to actually play well. He will never get over what this franchise has done to him, including two head coaches throwing him under the bus to save themselves, and the best thing for him would be a change of scenery. It is sad to think about what might have been if Norv had just stayed but it doesn't matter. I agree that Alex is done with this team, if I were him I wouldn't even want to come back.

Comment

Aside from the ATL game, could you bring up another example of this that involved Alex? Because what I saw was the worst running game in the league and a penalty riddled Oline having to be bailed out by a QB put in numerous 3rd and longs. None of the games I've seen aside from ATL had any hint of the need for a "game manager", especially with out D giving up copious yardage through the air (and ground) and a crappy, predictable running game.
                                i felt like the new orleans game was ours. i really did. i think in that game everyone was doing their part to beat the champs. somehow we blew it. now i'm not putting that one smith but the overthrowing & getting the ball intercepted is not on the coaching staff.

eagles game...was the fumble that caused a 52 yard td for the opposing team sings or coachings fault? let me guess...someone missed a block? i know what the response is. always is. yet everyone on this site says smith is elusive...why didnt he show it?

going 9-19 against the panthers is not going to take any team anywhere. that's before he got hurt. again another team & game that could have been easily managed.

look you & whomever else backs up smith will continue ways to argue for smith. i understand. not once did i make the claim that troy is the be all end all. my suggestion was to go another route & that should have happend back in 2005.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information