Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that Gruden would be an obvious upgrade but he's not guaranteed to be the football messiah that some are making him out to be. If he's employed by the team, it doesn't automatically equal a dynasty for them.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Gore done for the yr? ****! This is where Coffee leaving in September really hurts.

Can't say Gore wasnt on borrowed time in the NFL, he had surgeries on both knees in college at Miami. It's not career ending but career limiting.

This means the team will be going through the motions offensively in December. The next 5 games, @ GB, Seattle, @ SD Bolts, @ Rams, & finish with Zona at home again are all losable. They might win one more vs. the Rams or Zona in wk. 17. That's what, 5-11, puts the 9ers with no chance at all at Luck or even Locker, & no ammunition to trade up for the new HC whoever he is.

Gruden & Harbaugh are both hot properties & will come very expensively, that might back the owners off. Better to concentrate on keeping the FA talent core in SF before the general (& overdue everywhere but the OL that was addressed last April) housecleaning takes place.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
        Gore done for the yr? ****! This is where Coffee leaving in September really hurts.

Joking right? I mean, i'm just as bummed as the next guy about losing Gore but - not even for a millisecond did I think of Coffee. Anthony Dixon is better than that guy, and Westbrook just showed the world he's fully capable of playing at a high level.

Yeah, all our remaining games are ones we could lose - but i think we proved that after going 0-5.

We can win those games too ya know.
        Originally posted by Babylon
        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• I agree with pervious posts on Jon Gruden...

He'll have a decent first year or two then we'll end up in the same boat.

If we want to be a top team for years to come then Jim Harabaugh gives us that best chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
            I agree with pervious posts on Jon Gruden...

He'll have a decent first year or two then we'll end up in the same boat.

If we want to be a top team for years to come then Jim Harabaugh gives us that best chance.
            I think Harbaugh is a top candidate, Peter King mentioned he's a top candidate and Tim Kawamwami reported that Jed wants to know more about him. I think Jed will try hard to sign Harbaugh, and i don't see money being an issue. For NFL prospects SF is great for Harbaugh. Doesn't have to move too far, gets to face Pete Carroll twice a year, he'll face his brother John next year when we play Baltimore, and he'll probably get whatever he wants for money and control. Only problem is Harbaugh may want go to Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
              Gore done for the yr? ****! This is where Coffee leaving in September really hurts.

Can't say Gore wasnt on borrowed time in the NFL, he had surgeries on both knees in college at Miami. It's not career ending but career limiting.

This means the team will be going through the motions offensively in December. The next 5 games, @ GB, Seattle, @ SD Bolts, @ Rams, & finish with Zona at home again are all losable. They might win one more vs. the Rams or Zona in wk. 17. That's what, 5-11, puts the 9ers with no chance at all at Luck or even Locker, & no ammunition to trade up for the new HC whoever he is.

Gruden & Harbaugh are both hot properties & will come very expensively, that might back the owners off. Better to concentrate on keeping the FA talent core in SF before the general (& overdue everywhere but the OL that was addressed last April) housecleaning takes place.

I could see you guys winning the Seattle, Rams and Zona games and getting to 7 wins and winning the division.

Stop laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post
                I could see you guys winning the Seattle, Rams and Zona games and getting to 7 wins and winning the division.

Stop laughing.
                We'll win those games and lose the other 2. Will the Rams be able to win 8? That's the question remaining. It's pathetic, really.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• i thought of this about a week ago, it may sound extreme, but we should trade Gore in the offseason.

there are a lot of holes on this team, and i really haven't liked how he has been used this year. I say trade him while we still can, before he falls apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                    i thought of this about a week ago, it may sound extreme, but we should trade Gore in the offseason.

there are a lot of holes on this team, and i really haven't liked how he has been used this year. I say trade him while we still can, before he falls apart.
                    And get what? A third or fourth round pick who will most likely amount to nothing?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                    Originally posted by Borat
                    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75
                      Why do you want Gruden so bad? He cripples NFL teams, that's why he is out of work. He doesn't draft well and only addresses the QB position with veteran free agents. We might make the playoffs his first year or two then we will be back to right where we are here. Not worth it to me.
                      Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                      I agree that Gruden would be an obvious upgrade but he's not guaranteed to be the football messiah that some are making him out to be. If he's employed by the team, it doesn't automatically equal a dynasty for them.
                      I want Gruden because a displined coach who knows what he's doing plus he's offensive based and runs the west coast offense. I have said it numerous times before and I'll say it again, the 49ers will never ever be the dominant team they used to be until they go back to basics and that includes an offensive based head coach who runs the west coast offense.

Also, if Jed has a brain in his head and can somehow someway lure Holmgren away from that death trap in CLE back to SF as our GM (with Baalke going back to his previous position) and brings in Gruden as the head coach, I believe that with two running the show, we can get back to what we were in 2001 - 12-4 or better. After Hasselbeck, SEA has no QB and a lot of holes everywhere. ARZ has no QB, Fitz will be gone in another year or even this upcoming off-season and their defense is argualy the worst in the league. STL has a franchise QB, RB and a solid defense but still has holes at WR, TE and the OL.

We're a QB away from dominating as long as we have the offensive minded coaching staff that can truly take advantage of our talent on offense. Go back to the 4-3 because after six years, the 3-4 defense isnt working for us like it has NE, PIT or even GB so go back to basics. And management made a mistake when we were 1-5 or whatever two days before the trade deadline. I would have traded players who are scheduled to be UFA's after this season that management knows that wont be re-signing as well as a veteran or two.

Could have traded for second day picks which would come in handy in order to move up in the draft to get our franchise QB. Besides, with Holmgren and Gruden, even if we have to start a rookie QB, I wouldnt worry because with Gruden's offensive based coaching and Holmgren having the ability to develop QB's (Favre/Hasselbeck), I think that rookie would be far better off as opposed to having a rookie head coach from the college ranks.

And im not calling Gruden a messiah or anything like that. I just think that he can get this franchise back to where it was - an offensive based team that runs the west coast offense thats built to score 30+ points a game. Looking at possible replacements for Singletary, I just think that Gruden is the best bet.

As for Harbaugh, I have nothing against him or anything but he has no NFL head coaching experience and like most college coaches, they flame out within a few years and go back to college because they cant adapt to the NFL level. And im assuming Harbaugh is an offensive based head coach since I doubt you guys would want another defensive based head coach. Since im assuming thats the case, if it makes you guys feel better, I rather have Harbaugh over Singletary returning.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                        Jon Gruden is apparently a top candiate in the Miami Hurricane/Dolphin job...
                        Looks like Gruden may be going to the U after all..

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...medium=twitter

Discussions have continued between both sides despite Gruden’s statement through ESPN Sunday night that he is “committed to Monday Night Football and to ESPN.”

Gorten tweeted Tuesday night that a meeting between Miami athletic director Kirby Hocutt and Gruden, which was reportedly scheduled for Wednesday, may even happen tonight.

According to Gorten’s source, Gruden and the university have yet to agree upon the length of a contract, but money does not appear to be an issue. The television analyst reportedly initiated contact with the school a few weeks before Hocutt fired Shannon on Saturday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                          I want Gruden because a displined coach who knows what he's doing plus he's offensive based and runs the west coast offense. I have said it numerous times before and I'll say it again, the 49ers will never ever be the dominant team they used to be until they go back to basics and that includes an offensive based head coach who runs the west coast offense.

Also, if Jed has a brain in his head and can somehow someway lure Holmgren away from that death trap in CLE back to SF as our GM (with Baalke going back to his previous position) and brings in Gruden as the head coach, I believe that with two running the show, we can get back to what we were in 2001 - 12-4 or better. After Hasselbeck, SEA has no QB and a lot of holes everywhere. ARZ has no QB, Fitz will be gone in another year or even this upcoming off-season and their defense is argualy the worst in the league. STL has a franchise QB, RB and a solid defense but still has holes at WR, TE and the OL.

We're a QB away from dominating as long as we have the offensive minded coaching staff that can truly take advantage of our talent on offense. Go back to the 4-3 because after six years, the 3-4 defense isnt working for us like it has NE, PIT or even GB so go back to basics. And management made a mistake when we were 1-5 or whatever two days before the trade deadline. I would have traded players who are scheduled to be UFA's after this season that management knows that wont be re-signing as well as a veteran or two.

Could have traded for second day picks which would come in handy in order to move up in the draft to get our franchise QB. Besides, with Holmgren and Gruden, even if we have to start a rookie QB, I wouldnt worry because with Gruden's offensive based coaching and Holmgren having the ability to develop QB's (Favre/Hasselbeck), I think that rookie would be far better off as opposed to having a rookie head coach from the college ranks.

And im not calling Gruden a messiah or anything like that. I just think that he can get this franchise back to where it was - an offensive based team that runs the west coast offense thats built to score 30+ points a game. Looking at possible replacements for Singletary, I just think that Gruden is the best bet.

As for Harbaugh, I have nothing against him or anything but he has no NFL head coaching experience and like most college coaches, they flame out within a few years and go back to college because they cant adapt to the NFL level. And im assuming Harbaugh is an offensive based head coach since I doubt you guys would want another defensive based head coach. Since im assuming thats the case, if it makes you guys feel better, I rather have Harbaugh over Singletary returning.
                          1. Cleveland has been playing good football lately and Holmgren is going to want to see Colt McCoy's development through. He enjoys challenges (GB to SEA) and I don't think there's any real reason to believe he would want to come here after just one year.

2. At 4-7, already looking forward to next season, I believe you are over estimating our team - which many of us were guilty of this past offseason. And maybe that's not the right way to put it, maybe youre under estimating our division.Especially in regards to the Rams. Franchise quarteback. Franchise Runningback. A solid Left tackle. A young offensive line. And then the misconception that they don't have any WR's... Donnie Avery will be back, Clayton will be back, Amendola will thrive in the slot. And then the defense, after another season with Spagz is going to be really good. The Rams scare me, and they should scare you too. Seattle will always be a thorn, especially with the homefield advantage they always have. Cardinals look pretty terrible but I can't imagine they continue this kind of play into the 2011 season.

3. Why the west coast? Aside from the fuzzy feeling it gives everyone to close their eyes and picture montana to rice - why do you want that specific system (which has a thousand variations) so badly? There are very successful teams that are not WCO. Just because our team is the 49ers does not mean the only way we can win is by running that system.

4. I think i'm impartial to the 34 or the 43 as far as a scheme goes. We definitely have a roster built to play the 34 though. And i'll also point out that our defense would be looking so much better, maybe even closer to the defense we expected this past offseason, if we had better play from our offense.
                          Originally posted by Babylon
                          It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babylon View Post

Stop laughing.
                            It is kind of funny though that a 7-9 rcd. could take this weak division.

Joking right? I mean, i'm just as bummed as the next guy about losing Gore but - not even for a millisecond did I think of Coffee. Anthony Dixon is better than that guy, and Westbrook just showed the world he's fully capable of playing at a high level.
                            Lost depth at RB with Coffee, & they got Westbrook. You realize he's one more concussion away from retirement, right? That's why the Eagles refused to re-sign him. The 9ers had to know he's high risk when they took him, & I think he's on a 1-yr. Look for the 9ers to draft a mid-rd. RB next April for depth, maybe earlier from a premium RB depending on how much they're worried about Gore.

The Rams are getting lots of buzz from the ESPN pundits as the probable division winners, yes it's probably true that they will. Hasselbeck's brother brought up that "My brother will win their wk. 17 game" in Seattle vs. the Rams, it could well come down to that game.

Whoever wins the NFC West will have to play the hottest WC team & that looks to be the Saints as Atlanta is #1-ranked per the NFL power rankings & is the odds-on fave to take the NFC South. All I can say is good luck vs. the Saints or whoever comes in 2nd in the East, Eagles or Giants.
                            Last edited by LizardState; 12-01-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• So according to Dan the niners can't be a great team again until they go to the west coast offense. Damn looks like the niners are screwed.
                              Originally posted by 49erNation85
                              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                                1. Cleveland has been playing good football lately and Holmgren is going to want to see Colt McCoy's development through. He enjoys challenges (GB to SEA) and I don't think there's any real reason to believe he would want to come here after just one year.

2. At 4-7, already looking forward to next season, I believe you are over estimating our team - which many of us were guilty of this past offseason. And maybe that's not the right way to put it, maybe youre under estimating our division.Especially in regards to the Rams. Franchise quarteback. Franchise Runningback. A solid Left tackle. A young offensive line. And then the misconception that they don't have any WR's... Donnie Avery will be back, Clayton will be back, Amendola will thrive in the slot. And then the defense, after another season with Spagz is going to be really good. The Rams scare me, and they should scare you too. Seattle will always be a thorn, especially with the homefield advantage they always have. Cardinals look pretty terrible but I can't imagine they continue this kind of play into the 2011 season.

3. Why the west coast? Aside from the fuzzy feeling it gives everyone to close their eyes and picture montana to rice - why do you want that specific system (which has a thousand variations) so badly? There are very successful teams that are not WCO. Just because our team is the 49ers does not mean the only way we can win is by running that system.

4. I think i'm impartial to the 34 or the 43 as far as a scheme goes. We definitely have a roster built to play the 34 though. And i'll also point out that our defense would be looking so much better, maybe even closer to the defense we expected this past offseason, if we had better play from our offense.
                                1. I just watched a video on PFT and there's actually rumors that Holmgren and/or Gruden could be going to SF. It all depends on if the Yorks want either or both of them. I honestly think its possible especially with Holmgren having the itch to coach again but its more about ownership and management wanting either or both than it is about either or both wanting to come to SF. And while Holmgren may want to see how McCoy progresses, I dont think he wants to hang around years for the rebuilding process to take full affect. A guy like Holmgren likes challenges but wants to win a championship a lot more and because of that, would rather go to a team that as playoff caliber talent as opposed to rebuilding a team like he's doing in CLE.

2. Honestly, I dont think im overestimating our team. There will be a few changes player wise in the off-season but like I said since week one, its more about our horrible coaching than it is our players. When you have bad coaching, even good to great players play like crap because the plays either suck and/or they just give up and dont care. Get a Holmgren or Gruden or both and that changes in a ******* heartbeat.

I do see the Rams as the biggest threat but how Avery/Clayton bounce back from their injuries remains to be seen plus how Bradford will do in his second season after every other team has a full season of game tape to study, analyze and adjust to him remains to be seen. Seahawks are only tough in SEA because Singletary didnt have his team ready in any possible way. Put Belichick or a head coach thats actually good and we blow them out even if they had a 15th man. Come on, a run with Norris??? WTF is that?? A pass play for Norris??? What is he??? Chuck Norris??? Got to be kidding me. Horrible to no communication whatsoever. Raye up in the clouds instead of being on the sideline plus Singletary not having a damn clue whatsoever and well, there ya go. Cardinals are horrible. They let too many players leave via trade and/or free agency plus Warner retired and they didnt even have a backup plan. Quite honestly, when the McNabb rumors started, I thought for sure that ARZ would hae traded for him. When you think about it, it would have made sense for both the Cardinals and McNabb but whatever. They're done and have gone back to what they were - invisible. The only threat they have is Fitzgerald and he'll be gone in 2012 if not this coming off-season because they have no QB whatsoever and I seriously doubt that he's going to want to adapt and get used to a rookie QB or a crapper like Derek Anderson. Plus, he'll be an UFA in 2012 and when Fitz signed his four year $40m contract back in 2008, he put a clause in it. He cant be franchised which is why I think he'll get traded in the off-season. ARZ will get a great package of picks and/or players for him which they could use to rebuild the team and save money in the process. Hell, I think the Bidwells are cheaper than the Yorks which I didnt think was possible but I stand corrected. LOL.

3. Its funny, the main reason why I want the 49ers to go back to the WCO is because when they ran that, they were successful. It's like they cant be successful if they dont do what made them successful in the first damn place. Its hard for me to explain it better than that but im sure you'll understand what I mean. Aside from that gut feeling, I just think its time to get back to what made the team great in the 80's and since we cant bring back Bill Walsh from the dead (may he forever R.I.P.), the team has to do the next best thing(s). You get a GM from the Walsh tree in Holmgren who hires Gruden who's from Holmgren who's from Walsh. Its like a huge tree with all these branches on it that when you look it all over, you're like, damn......they're here because of who they learned from and coached under and considering who that was, I seriously believe that until we go back to our roots (as they say), we will never ever get back to being the dominant team that we once were. And when you look at this season and our pathetic execuse of a division (including us), its crystal clear that if the opposite of what you used to do isnt and hasnt worked in the last EIGHT years, I think its safe to say its tme to do the opposite of the opposite which would be back to basics and the WCO.

And all you guys can make fun of me or bash me or whatever for what im saying and we can continue seeing another assistant coach become the next head coach or a college guy become the next head coach but until doing the opposite of what was done during the 80's and 90's actually works and we win the division and go into the playoffs with at worst a 50/50 shot at making the Super Bowl, can management really afford not to go back to the past especially when going back the last EIGHT years, nothing has worked and I dont care what the execuses are. Bottom line is that none of it has worked since 2002 so unless we go back to the past, how could anyone including the most diehard 49ers fan think otherwise?

4. Even if our offense was better, our defense has played bad. Goldson has sucked. Spencer has declined once again. Franklin isnt as effective as he was last season. Spikes/Clements are also declining and showing their age. Mays is a rookie still learning. We still have no pass rush whatsoever and cant get turnovers or anything positive on defense. Add in special teams and its quite simply a cluster****.

I'm hoping that the next head coach goes back to the 4-3 because I have said it for years and I'll say it again. Tell Lawson to add 15 lbs of muscle and at 6'6 255, he'll be a Jason Taylor type player. Start him at LDE next to a DT like Haynesworth (who I would definitely try to trade Franklin for) who'll get double teamed on nearly every snap and I truly believe that Lawson would finally have a breakout season sack wise. I'm talking double digits and before everyone bashes me, unlike what this team has done the last EIGHT years, maybe, just maybe, doing the opposite with Lawson would actually work. Sure as hell wouldnt hurt to try. And yes, I now have Lawson at the top of my re-signing list regardless of what scheme we're running defensively.

But whatever, just have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information