Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instead of quoting a few messages, I'll just give my opinion and a few subjects.

1) QB Carson Palmer

He'll be 31 later this month and unless he gets released and can be signed to a cheap one year contract as a potential stopgap, I wouldnt even think about trying to acquire him.

2) QB Kyle Orton

At 29, he's another stopgap and I dont know his contract situation but if he's not an UFA in 2011, I wouldnt try to acquire him either. I wouldnt give up any draft picks in 2011 period. If he's an UFA, a cheap one year contract would be the only option if it was up to me.

3) QB Matt Flynn

Dont see GB trading or releasing him and even though he played bad yesterday, he was thrown in after Rodgers suffered a concussion. If Rodgers misses any games, GB is done. No thanks.

4) QB Donovan McNabb

I added him because he was the only veteran QB that I wanted to go after as a stopgap but him signing that bogus contract, no way in hell would I trade for him and pay him that bogus contract WSH signed him to. I also added him because despite having a worse defense, no RB, horrible OL, an aging WR in Moss and a declining TE in Cooley, McNabb has won more games than Palmer has with a far better supporting cast in Cincy. Quite honestly, the only player I would want from either Cincy or WSH would be T.O. who's having a damn good season considering everyone thought he was done. Obviously, everyone got him confused with Randy Moss who hasnt won a game since forcing his way out of NE.

5) QB Michael Vick / QB Kevin Kolb

Kolb is under contract for 2011 and isnt going anywhere because he's not only an insurance policy if Vick gets injured, he's also an insurance policy if Vick does something stupid again and screws up his resurrected career. As for Vick, no thanks whatsoever.

Now im going to say something thats going to get me flamed out of this forum -

QB option for 2011 -

Alex Smith.

Thats right, I said it. Winning yesterday just eliminated any chance of us getting a top five draft pick which in turn eliminates us getting Luck/Locker who were the top two QB's on my list and thats even if Luck doesnt stay for his senior year.

No way in hell would I trade away a future first rounder to move up for either or give away a second and/or third in 2011 to move up. When you look at the options available, the best option is who we already have. All the above QB's are stopgaps at best and could play just as bad or worse than Smith has but seeing Smith play good in the spread offense has lead me to believe thats what he should be playing in. If his weakness is dropping back, why have him drop back? Makes no sense.

All we need is a head coach who's smart enough to use his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Whether thats a Gruden, Holmgren or some other offensive based head coach, thats what we need. Smith is only 26 and quite honestly, I would rather give him a decent contract instead of overpaying a rookie or veteran QB who's played just as bad as Smith has in his career.

If Smith plays good against the Chargers in SD and wins, then I would definitely lean towards keeping Smith but still getting rid of Singletary because he has no clue.

You have to wonder how our season would have gone if Singletary would have started Smith in the spread offense in week one instead of seeing him drop back which he's not good at doing. He seems to play better and see the defense better in the spread shotgun offense so why not keep it that way?

Obviously, what happens in SD remains to be seen but compared to the other QB's that you guys have listed, I just dont see the difference in replacing Smith with any of them. I personally think that a new veteran offensive based head coach is what we need more than anything because an offensive based veteran head coach would know how to use Smith to his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Flame away. LOL.

Comment

• As for Mays, he's a rookie. I'm not expecting him to be awesome. And Reggie Smith didnt do any better especially on that kickoff return TD by Washington. He got faked so bad, I thought he was going to fall out of his shoes. LOL.

As for Franklin, I would franchise tag him again regardless of whether or not we're running the 3-4 or 4-3. If we stay 3-4, he stays for 2011. If we go back to the 4-3, I would trade him for Haynesworth straight up. Neither are going to require much to acquire via trade especially considering both are 30+ years old. No matter what, I wouldnt give Franklin a long term contract or let him leave as an UFA.

Comment

• Alex Smith, even if he leads us to the nfc champ game, will not re-sign here. The fans hate him, and I'm sure he hates the fans even more. He'll want to go to a competent staff as well. Bye Bye Alex.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          As for Mays, he's a rookie. I'm not expecting him to be awesome. And Reggie Smith didnt do any better especially on that kickoff return TD by Washington. He got faked so bad, I thought he was going to fall out of his shoes. LOL.

As for Franklin, I would franchise tag him again regardless of whether or not we're running the 3-4 or 4-3. If we stay 3-4, he stays for 2011. If we go back to the 4-3, I would trade him for Haynesworth straight up. Neither are going to require much to acquire via trade especially considering both are 30+ years old. No matter what, I wouldnt give Franklin a long term contract or let him leave as an UFA.
          My only beef with Franklin is that he probably won't sign until the last possible minute if he gets franchised. Then we'll see him shaking off his rust in the first 3-4 games like this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
            My only beef with Franklin is that he probably won't sign until the last possible minute if he gets franchised. Then we'll see him shaking off his rust in the first 3-4 games like this season.
            Franklin will be 31 when the 2011 regular season starts and considering his age and depending on what happens in regards to the coaching staff and our defensive scheme, I wouldnt do anything but franchise Franklin. I wouldnt give him a long term deal and I wouldnt allow him to leave as an UFA.

If we switch back to the 4-3, I would try to trade him to WSH for Haynesworth. Both players would fit in better with the other team's scheme and with Franklin being a NT, WSH could give him an extension after he signs the franchise tender and SF trades him to WSH.

WSH isnt going to get anything higher than a 4th rounder in my opinion. TEN offered a third rounder before the deadline and WSH declined it. His value has definitely dropped especially since the Redskins didnt know what the hell they were doing. The sad part is that if the geniuses in WSH stayed with the 4-3 defense, I dont think the same thing would have happened.

Contract wise, unless he agrees to restructure his contract, Haynesworth would just be 49er for two seasons which would total $12.6m. Franklin received just over $7m under the franchise tag for 2010 and im going to assume that the price will increase for 2011. Even if it doesnt, $12.6m is cheap for a player like Haynesworth who has the talent. Going back to a 4-3 defense would get him motivated and with a huge option bonus in 2013, he would be playing for his next contract.

Contract info credit goes to rotoworld.com.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
              Alex Smith, even if he leads us to the nfc champ game, will not re-sign here. The fans hate him, and I'm sure he hates the fans even more. He'll want to go to a competent staff as well. Bye Bye Alex.
              If Alex somehow led the Niners to an NFC Championship game, it would be the only way that another team would look at giving him a starting shot (non-injury related). Alex knows that his best chance to start in the NFL comes with SF and that's why he's stuck around and re-did his contract. He sadly is an option for next year at this point... much batter chance of being a Niner than F****** McNabb, Dan. It's not happening.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Alex Smith, even if he leads us to the nfc champ game, will not re-sign here. The fans hate him, and I'm sure he hates the fans even more. He'll want to go to a competent staff as well. Bye Bye Alex.
                That most likely isn't going to happen. Alex Smith isn't going to wake up and suddenly turn into an All-Pro and get past two playoff teams. So you really don't have to concern yourself with that dream scenario.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                Originally posted by Borat
                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                  If Alex somehow led the Niners to an NFC Championship game, it would be the only way that another team would look at giving him a starting shot (non-injury related). Alex knows that his best chance to start in the NFL comes with SF and that's why he's stuck around and re-did his contract. He sadly is an option for next year at this point... much batter chance of being a Niner than F****** McNabb, Dan. It's not happening.
                  I only put McNabb on the list because he's won more games as the starting QB than Palmer has and Palmer has far better talent on offense than McNabb does.

Personally, if Smith plays like he did agaist the Seahawks in the next three games, I would keep him over signing a veteran QB. All Smith needs is a damn good offensive based veteran head coach who'll use his strengths while at the same time, hide his weaknesses.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    I only put McNabb on the list because he's won more games as the starting QB than Palmer has and Palmer has far better talent on offense than McNabb does.

Personally, if Smith plays like he did agaist the Seahawks in the next three games, I would keep him over signing a veteran QB. All Smith needs is a damn good offensive based veteran head coach who'll use his strengths while at the same time, hide his weaknesses.
                    McNabb is in a much better system under Shanahan, Alex Smith has a been nothing but heartache during his time here, it's time to move on.

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                    That most likely isn't going to happen. Alex Smith isn't going to wake up and suddenly turn into an All-Pro and get past two playoff teams. So you really don't have to concern yourself with that dream scenario.
                    Crazier stuff has happened...Simpletary may take the chains off of the Mike Johnson and Alex Smith.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
                      McNabb is in a much better system under Shanahan, Alex Smith has a been nothing but heartache during his time here, it's time to move on.

Crazier stuff has happened...Simpletary may take the chains off of the Mike Johnson and Alex Smith.
                      Yeah but there's no way Alex is beating San Diego and STL on the road. No way.

Comment

Yeah but there's no way Alex is beating San Diego and STL on the road. No way.
                        He is getting 9 points in Vegas. I think they don't have much faith in how we can do on short notice vs. Norv who has tons of experience.

Yeah were gonna need Ginn to get a TD and a catching one is not a good bet.

Comment

I disagree. There are at least a handful of teams that would love to have Alex Smith starting over what they have now, and a few more where he could realistically compete for and win the starting job.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                            I disagree. There are at least a handful of teams that would love to have Alex Smith starting over what they have now, and a few more where he could realistically compete for and win the starting job.
                            Who?!?! There are a lot of teams whom need a QB but they wouldn't hand him the starting job. He'd get some looks and a #2 backup job guaranteed on several teams no problem. He'd be expected to come in and contribute right away, not be a project. I don't see what HC would risk his job banking on Alex Smith to be a quality NFL QB.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Who?!?! There are a lot of teams whom need a QB but they wouldn't hand him the starting job. He'd get some looks and a #2 backup job guaranteed on several teams no problem. He'd be expected to come in and contribute right away, not be a project. I don't see what HC would risk his job banking on Alex Smith to be a quality NFL QB.
                              To say one way or the other for certain, I don't think you can. But for kicks:

Dolphins
                              Bills
                              Browns
                              Titans
                              Panthers
                              Cardinals
                              Originally posted by Babylon
                              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• I don't think Alex would be a clear cut starter anywhere. I think he could compete for a starting job (and win) in a handful of places.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information