Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He could also end up being a stopgap for a team that drafted a young QB and needs time to develop.

Comment

• Urk. Singletary again.
      http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-...odule=HP_video

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
        Pathetic.

Is Sing that selfish? Telling Mike Johnson to favor the run over the pass? Its stupid crap like that why we dont have a winning record right now and why Sing is on his way to being canned.

Comment

• See............its stupid crap like that, that makes me believe Singletary is more at fault than Alex is because it makes no sense whatsoever. Smith is better in the spread than dropping back so why not have him play out of the spread offense??? As for running, I would still run but I would also have Westbrook go out of the backfield in motion into the slot since he's a good receiver out of the backfield or running an actual route.

If we can beat SD, I honestly think that we can finish 8-8 and win the divsion but then again, with Simpletary as our head coach, I dont see it happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
            Who?!?! There are a lot of teams whom need a QB but they wouldn't hand him the starting job. He'd get some looks and a #2 backup job guaranteed on several teams no problem. He'd be expected to come in and contribute right away, not be a project. I don't see what HC would risk his job banking on Alex Smith to be a quality NFL QB.
            Right now he is miles better than what the Panthers, Dolphins, Cardinals, and Seahawks have and he could easily win the starting job on the Titans, Bills, Vikings, Raiders, and Broncos. Then there are teams like the Redskins, Bengals, and Jaguars where he is just as good as their QBs but considerably younger.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawkeye123 View Post
              Pathetic.

Is Sing that selfish? Telling Mike Johnson to favor the run over the pass? Its stupid crap like that why we dont have a winning record right now and why Sing is on his way to being canned.
              Whoa hold on a second.

If you watch that thing they cut it up to shreds for what's best with TV. If you watched that game you could see there was no interference with the passing game when it was early.

I would bet that was late in the game when we needed to get out of their healthy as fast as possible.

I don't suppose you guys think he was telling the defense to stay on the sideline during the 1st quarter do you?
              Originally posted by Babylon
              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• updated mock draft:

assuming sf is picking in the top 10 & still playing a 3-4 as well

1. patrick robinson - cb

alt picks:
                Marcell Dareus - dt
                Julio Jones - wr ( imagine crabs & him lines up together w/ a legit qb throwing to them)?

2. ricky stanzi - qb

alt picks :
                Sione Fua - dt
                Akeem Ayers - olb

3. Jeron Johnson - fs

4. John Moffitt, - g

5. kendal hunter - rb

6. chykie brown -cb

7. Alex Linnenkohl - c

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                  To say one way or the other for certain, I don't think you can. But for kicks:

Dolphins
                  Bills
                  Browns
                  Titans
                  Panthers
                  Cardinals
                  The fins have Henne, who seems to be falling out of favor after showing some promise, but Alex still wouldn't get the starting nod given to him; he'd have to compete.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has played well and has been more consistent this season than Alex ever has and Fitz is on a bad team in bad weather with a bad o-line. He also can process info quickly like Alex as well. Again, he'd have at least have to compete.

Even though they didn't want Colt McCoy to play this year, he stepped in and looked like their QBOTF. I would take him over Alex, straight up right now. He's a winner and could end up being like a smaller-Brees type of QB.

Claussen was drafted to be their guy but they'll get Luck in the draft with the #1 pick. Alex Smith isn't even on their radar because their team will be worst in the league (in a good year to be crappy) as they'll have their QBOTF gift-wrapped for only $60+ mil guaranteed (unless the new CBA includes a rookie cap; then they REALLY will score).

We don't know what's happening with VY yet but the owner likes him and would definitely start him over Alex should he have the option.

I think the Cardinals like who they have in Skelton. He was noted as a sleeper by a lot of draft gurus and has the ideal size and arm to be a QB in the NFL (similar to a Flacco). I think they've seen Alex enough over the years where they wouldn't take a leap on another QB. I live in AZ and have seen their demise first hand (which is great). QB is their main target in the offseason and they'll either draft a QB very high or they will sign/trade for a more proven player than Alex Smith. Derek Anderson, who puts his heart and soul into this $*** made sure that they won't take a flier on another QB that has only showed minor flashes of productivity on the NFL level.

Alex will easily be signed to be a #2 for several teams and could get playing time due to starting QB injuries or bad performance, but the Niners remain his best option to start in 2011.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                    Whoa hold on a second.

If you watch that thing they cut it up to shreds for what's best with TV. If you watched that game you could see there was no interference with the passing game when it was early.

I would bet that was late in the game when we needed to get out of their healthy as fast as possible.

I don't suppose you guys think he was telling the defense to stay on the sideline during the 1st quarter do you?
                    I'm assuming it's in the first quarter when we were only up by one score because it showed him saying it right after Westbrook scored in the 1st, it could have been in the 4th quarter though when we were blowing them out.

Either way, if Sing wants any chance for staying in 2011, he should let Mike Johnson do his thing and not do anything to interfere with him and his playcalling.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                      Right now he is miles better than what the Panthers, Dolphins, Cardinals, and Seahawks have and he could easily win the starting job on the Titans, Bills, Vikings, Raiders, and Broncos. Then there are teams like the Redskins, Bengals, and Jaguars where he is just as good as their QBs but considerably younger.
                      See my comments above in previous post regarding the Panthers, Dolphins, Cards, Titans, Bills, and Browns.

The Seahawks still have Hasselbeck and would look for a younger QB to develop behind Matt than Alex. I could realistically see the Seahawks bring in Alex (like they have with our previous players) for a look and sign him to backup money. He once again wouldn't start over Hasselbeck but could end up playing.

David Gerrard is playing quietly on an MVP level right now (he won't win, but look at the numbers) for a 1st place team in a competitive division. Alex wouldn't have a chance to unseat him.

Orton has played well (minus the last two weeks) and is not what is wrong with the Broncos right now, Even if Orton doesn't start, there is ZERO chance that they would bring in a player like Alex Smith to start over Tebow after they drafted him in the first round.

I'm already on record that I would rather have Carson Palmer start for the Niners over Alex next season, being a stop-gap for a highly drafted QB. If Palmer stays on the Bengals next year with his big contract, he'd start over Alex or another QB they'd bring in.

Tavaris Jackson is more familiar with their system and players and he actually LED HIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS a couple years ago (before Favre arrived). Alex Smith starting for them? Playoffs?! PLAYOFFS?! You kiddin me?!

The Redskins didn't trade for McNabb and sign him to a big $ extension for the next few years to bring in Alex Smith to start ahead of them. C'mon man!

Finally, the Raiders I won't comment on, because applying logic and reason to their QB decisions would be giving them too much credit. That's the QB graveyard in the NFL and I hope that when Alex leaves the Niners, that he goes to a team that would give him a better chance than what the Raiders could do.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• The fins have Henne, who seems to be falling out of favor after showing some promise, but Alex still wouldn't get the starting nod given to him; he'd have to compete.
                        Over Henne? Alex would easily come in and be handed the starting job. Henne is that bad.

The Seahawks still have Hasselbeck and would look for a younger QB to develop behind Matt than Alex. I could realistically see the Seahawks bring in Alex (like they have with our previous players) for a look and sign him to backup money. He once again wouldn't start over Hasselbeck but could end up playing.
                        Alex has been better than Hasselbeck for the past two years, a lot better, and is a lot younger. He would definitely start over him.

David Gerrard is playing quietly on an MVP level right now (he won't win, but look at the numbers) for a 1st place team in a competitive division. Alex wouldn't have a chance to unseat him.
                        I live in Jacksonville and watch every Jaguar game, and have a lot of friends that are Jaguar fans, and Garrard is playing nowhere near an MVP level. He is wildly inconsistent and at his worst he is significantly worse than Alex at his worst and every Jaguar fan I have asked has told me that they would rather have Alex Smith over him.

Orton has played well (minus the last two weeks) and is not what is wrong with the Broncos right now, Even if Orton doesn't start, there is ZERO chance that they would bring in a player like Alex Smith to start over Tebow after they drafted him in the first round.
                        Considering that McDaniels is gone and that Orton has played awful in the last two weeks I could easily see the Broncos bringing in Alex to at least compete and I could easily see him winning that competition.

I'm already on record that I would rather have Carson Palmer start for the Niners over Alex next season, being a stop-gap for a highly drafted QB. If Palmer stays on the Bengals next year with his big contract, he'd start over Alex or another QB they'd bring in.
                        What possible reason would you want Palmer over Alex as a stop gap? Alex is younger, will come for a lot cheaper, and has been just as good as Palmer for the past two years.

Tavaris Jackson is more familiar with their system and players and he actually LED HIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS a couple years ago (before Favre arrived). Alex Smith starting for them? Playoffs?! PLAYOFFS?! You kiddin me?!
                        Jackson started 5 games in 2008 and was 2-3 in them. They made the playoffs because the Giants rested their starters in the final week and the Vikings eeked out a 1 point victory over their backups. Jackson then played awful in the playoffs and has been awful in his two games this year. Alex could easily start over him.

The Redskins didn't trade for McNabb and sign him to a big $ extension for the next few years to bring in Alex Smith to start ahead of them. C'mon man!
                        In case you haven't heard there is a lot of discussion about McNabb being benched for Rex Grossman. Rex Grossman.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                          Over Henne? Alex would easily come in and be handed the starting job. Henne is that bad.

Alex has been better than Hasselbeck for the past two years, a lot better, and is a lot younger. He would definitely start over him.

I live in Jacksonville and watch every Jaguar game, and have a lot of friends that are Jaguar fans, and Garrard is playing nowhere near an MVP level. He is wildly inconsistent and at his worst he is significantly worse than Alex at his worst and every Jaguar fan I have asked has told me that they would rather have Alex Smith over him.

Considering that McDaniels is gone and that Orton has played awful in the last two weeks I could easily see the Broncos bringing in Alex to at least compete and I could easily see him winning that competition.

What possible reason would you want Palmer over Alex as a stop gap? Alex is younger, will come for a lot cheaper, and has been just as good as Palmer for the past two years.

Jackson started 5 games in 2008 and was 2-3 in them. They made the playoffs because the Giants rested their starters in the final week and the Vikings eeked out a 1 point victory over their backups. Jackson then played awful in the playoffs and has been awful in his two games this year. Alex could easily start over him.

In case you haven't heard there is a lot of discussion about McNabb being benched for Rex Grossman. Rex Grossman.
                          I appreciate your insight and points, but we're basing both our arguments on speculation and our opinions. When you say that Alex has been a lot better than Hasselbeck or Palmer over the last couple years, it's more opinion-based. Hasselback has was hurt all of last year but has proven to be a better QB than Alex. I believe that in a weaker division, with better weather and with the weapons the Niners have, Palmer could be a serviceable QB while the Niners groomed a QBOTF properly. I wouldn't wan to trade for him and take on his big contract, but if they clean house and release him (like I think they might( then he would be someone worth targeting IMO.

I'm not sold on Gerrard either, but I wanted to point out that he is having a good season and leading his team to wins and first place in the division through 3/4 of the season. I don't believe he should be MVP, but because of his efficiency and the team unexpectedly winning, he'll get some consideration - that was my point. I also watch their games and would think they may want an upgrade over him soon, but Alex Smith is not the answer to come in and take that job. I was hoping Trent Edwards could figure it out and make something of himself there.

Orton has been better than Alex overall in his career (sadly) and though McDaniels helped him, I believe Orton is still a serviceable QB for the Broncos, moving forward. Their biggest problems lay elsewhere (mainly on defense).

Alex isn't worthless, and has some value as a QB in this league; just not as much as a starter. I think he'll get a backup/competition spot on a team next year very easily and with the right coaching/weapons/o-line, he may even win a starting QB job, but he hasn't proven much where a franchise other than the 49ers will just give him the starting QB job. I just don't see it.

I am very interested to see where Alex ends up, and if someone has actually been targeting him to add to their team, being able to work with his skill set and help him reach the potential he was drafted #1 overall to reach.

Teams I could realistically see him going to next year (to backup or compete for starting job) if the Niners don't resign him:
                          Cardinals, Seahawks, Raiders, Dolphins (Nolan and him reunite :P)

I would actually like to see Alex go to the Patriots and backup Brady so he could be coached properly and be used to his strengths. We would perhaps finally see his NFL potential come out.

Comment

• Most of what you say is arguable, and we just have different opinions, but there is no question that Alex is better than Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck has been very bad to awful since 2007 and clearly is not getting back to his 2007 form ever again, not to mention he is 35 years old.

Comment

• I'd rather have Alex than Hasselbeck on my team, but I'm not an NFL GM. I think it's reasonable that Alex would go there but if they are both on the roster next year, barring injury, I think they would start the season with Hasselbeck, with a possible quick hook in favor of bringing in Alex.

Comment

• Lets just get Cam Newton and watch sex on turf happen

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information