• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
    From Matt Maioccos twitter
    http://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN
    Originally posted by wiki
    Despite the misunderstanding that the Denver Broncos were big spenders in the league [under Sundquist], they were ranked 19th in signing bonuses, 22nd in base salaries with many minimum salary players making the rosters, 19th for “in-season incentives” and 15th in “off-season incentives.
    cheap ass York family

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
      cheap ass York family
      Give them some credit for at least doing some kind of research! LOL

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01 View Post
        I say you guys get a veteran NFL assistant.
        Probably, but i really want an up and comer. Personally, i'd like to hire someone a veteran as Team President, like a Rick Mueller or Ted Sundquist...have them hire the GM like a Ryan Grigson (Eagles), Les Snead (Falcons) or John Dorsey (Packers)...and have them hire a HC like a Harbaugh, Gruden, or maybe Pat Shurmur. Thats how the Falcons did it, with Rich McKay, Thomas Dimitroff, and Mike Smith.
        Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 12-27-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• I have a feeling that we'll all be greatly disappointed in regards to who the next GM and HC will be. After all, ownership has screwed up the last three times so why would the fourth time be any different than the previous three?

Rick Mueller, Randy Mueller??? Thats TWO too many Muellers. UGH. Donahue. UGH again.

I would just wait until next Monday and make Holmgren an offer he cant refuse. Then, I hire Gruden as HC and go from there. I dont want some college guy or no name assistant.

On the bright side, I just finished reading an article that states that Jed York said that this time around, money wont be an issue. I'm hoping that turns out to be true.

Falcons also had the third overall drat pick in the draft and was lucky that MIA and STL didnt select Ryan. We wont be that lucky.

Comment

• I was just about to point out, you guys really need to take that approach. I think a lower profile coach will do a much better job.

I don't think you can say Falcons got lucky with Matt Ryan. Many people felt like he didn't deserve to get drafted 3rd overall. You can disagree with it, but I believe where you guys pick, you can get a better 'prospect'. Even if he was gone they would probably trade down and get Flacco.

It wasn't the Matt Ryan selection that got this team where they are now. It was what they did after getting him. They immediately drafted a Franchise LT, and a Franchise MLB. They went out and spent money on Turner, they traded for Tony Gonzales, and this offseason spent more money on Dunta Robinson.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
            02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
            02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
            02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
            Originally posted by fenikz
            we all hate you

Comment

I was just about to point out, you guys really need to take that approach. I think a lower profile coach will do a much better job.

I don't think you can say Falcons got lucky with Matt Ryan. Many people felt like he didn't deserve to get drafted 3rd overall. You can disagree with it, but I believe where you guys pick, you can get a better 'prospect'. Even if he was gone they would probably trade down and get Flacco.

It wasn't the Matt Ryan selection that got this team where they are now. It was what they did after getting him. They immediately drafted a Franchise LT, and a Franchise MLB. They went out and spent money on Turner, they traded for Tony Gonzales, and this offseason spent more money on Dunta Robinson.
              I dont want some no name or college head coach who's happy just to have a shot. No thanks. I want someone who's been successful at the NFL level already.

As for Ryan, he's a franchise QB and like all 49ers fans, we all know it STARTS with the QB. We already have the RB, WR and TE. But no one to throw to them. I do not want a rookie head coach and a rookie QB. Because considering our history and expectations, that could be a disaster in the making and one I would like to avoid. Signing Turner was a great move by ATL and acquiring Gonzalez and Robinson were good moves too. But it all starts with the QB period.

My dream scenario would be to see Holmgren as GM and Gruden as HC. OC wise, I would probably go with Childress because im sure Holmgren/Gruden would want an OC who knows the WCO and since Marty Mornhinweg isnt available, Childress would probably be the next best option and like Marty, Brad is a better OC than he is as a HC. DC wise, that depends on the scheme. If it's 3-4, keep Manusky or hire Wade Phillips. Of course, that also depends on what happens in regards to free agency. Think about it - the best pass rushing OLB for the 3-4 would be LaMarr Woodley but I seriously doubt that he'll hit the market while 4-3 DE's like Ray Edwards and Kiwanuka will most likely be available and we need a pure pass rusher. So, defensively, it remains to be seen what happens.

We also need a CB and a FS. If Clements refuses to cut his salary down to 1/3 of what it is and move to FS, I would release him. If that happens, I go after UFA to be Richard marshall who's only 25 years old. If im going to pay Clements $11m (actual) per year for the next three years, mine as well add $2m and give Marshall a 5 year $35m contract. Granted, that might be high for him but his age, starting experience and upside overshadows the cost.

FS wise, im hoping for Atogwe if Clements isnt back. He's a pur play-making FS. Only negative is that he would be a two year stopgap since he's 29 but having him would help Mays at SS. Dont see Goldson coming back. Would also trade a 4th rounder for Haynesworth if we run the 4-3 or trade Franklin straight up for him because both would fit in better with their new team if we switch back to the 4-3.

Offensively, im hoping for Owens to return. He may be a loudmouth asshole but thats what we need. Someone who actually cares and wants to win. If Cincy's record was reversed, you wouldnt hear a peep out of him. Owens only complains when the team he's on is losing and thats one of his major positives even though most look at it as a negative. He wants to win and gets pissed off when his team is losing which is what every player should be like instead of just looking to cash their paycheck. As a fan, I have been pissed since 2002 and having a guy like Owens who wants to win a SB before he retires would help others. Granted, he's sometimes selfish but at 38, he's still a starting caliber receiver because of the great condition that he keeps himself in (thanks Jerry). Morgan can return as the slot receiver. Imagine Owens, Crabtree, Davis and Morgan. I would also re-sign Westbrook to be the change of pace/finesse back and unlike Singletary, Gruden would actually use him plus him and Owens were in the WCO in Philly and Owens was in the WCO when was a 49er the first time. See, how it all fits?

Rachal would be traded for a bag of chips and a pepsi or coke. I would then sign Mankins if he doesnt get franchised or re-signs with NE. Another 5 year $35m contract??? Done.

As for QB, my dream draft scenario would be to get a top five pick, trade down for CB Patrick Peterson and then trade back into the first round for QB Jake Locker. Of course, with Luck and others being Juniors, they have to declare and if they dont, the 49ers are screwed. If that happens, I then go the veteran QB way or try to acquire a youngster like Kolb who has experience with the WCO.

Have to wait and see what happens. It all starts with who'll be the new/next GM.

Comment

• I just watched the Jed York/Tomsula press conference. Is it just me or does it seem like there's no confidence or anything positive whatsoever coming out of Jed York? The way he was playing around with the water bottle shows that he's nervous because he knows he cant screw this up. The only positive thing I heard him say was that he was talking to his uncle Eddie Debartalo. Other than that, im a nervous and paranoid as hell 49ers fan.

Comment

• I don't think you need a big name coach to have a successful team. You just need a veteran coach who adds good characters to the roster and represent the Franchise well.

I believe that is something you guys have been lacking for a while.

we all hate you

Comment

I don't think you need a big name coach to have a successful team. You just need a veteran coach who adds good characters to the roster and represent the Franchise well.

The big name head coaches though are the veterans who know what they're doing. I want Gruden the most. He's an offensive minded head coach, has experience and knows what he's doing. Add Holmgren as the GM and we'll get back to where we should be - a dynasty winning Super Bowls.

I dont want a college head coach. Hell, is there even an NFL Head Coach in the league now who came straight from college? I dont think there is and after the horrible showings of Sabin, Petrino, etc. I dont want to be added to that list.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      The big name head coaches though are the veterans who know what they're doing. I want Gruden the most. He's an offensive minded head coach, has experience and knows what he's doing. Add Holmgren as the GM and we'll get back to where we should be - a dynasty winning Super Bowls.

I dont want a college head coach. Hell, is there even an NFL Head Coach in the league now who came straight from college? I dont think there is and after the horrible showings of Sabin, Petrino, etc. I dont want to be added to that list.
                      Mike Holmgren was a college OC and an NFL OC before becoming the HC of the Packers. Gruden was an OC for like 2 seasons before becoming a HC in Oakland. George Seifert was only a DC before becoming the Niners head coach. Mike Shanahan was an OC for the Niners under Seifert before becoming a HC. Jeff Fisher was a DC for many years before becoming a HC.

I think you it's about pedigree as much as it is prior success. You want Gruden but fail to recognize that, while in Tampa, his teams got progressively worse. In Oakland, he did really well, but he had a power struggle with Al Davis.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I don't think you need a big name coach to have a successful team. You just need a veteran coach who adds good characters to the roster and represent the Franchise well.

We just need to find someone who knows what they are doing. Qualified individuals are a start. Doesn't have to necessarily be a big name like you said.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post

Just because they are big names, it doesn't mean only they know what they are doing. I don't know why you would make that statement. There are plenty of assistant coaches who have been around the game for decades and know the game well. Just haven't gotten the shot at a HC.

we all hate you

Comment

• Can't say we didn't call it here -- b/c we did -- after the horrible St. Louis game.

Off Chris Mortensen twitter:
                            Quote:
                            You have to wonder if 49ers fired Singletary to take their best shot @Jim Harbaugh before Michigan or someone else does post-Orange Bowl
                            /\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                            For Harbaugh it's down to Michigan or the 9ers --> from the College FB pg. posted on the Coaching Change thread before Singletary was canned:

This is going to make Sniper & the other fans of that school with the funny-looking yellow-striped helmets very happy.

Casserly reported today on CBS pregame show that the RichRod buyout drops to $2.1M (down from $4M) in January. Chump change for a huge megaprogram like Michigan to dump Rodriguez who is < popular with the Wolverine alumni & fanbase.

Pencil Harbaugh back to the Ann Arbor hometown. Or at least down to 2: back home with the Wolverines, or stay in his new Bay Area home for the 9ers job. Yes the DeBartolo/York family has put the full press on him, maybe will not come close to the bottom line on the Michigan offer. I'm thinking the max the 9ers can afford is $3.something/yr. b/c they have so much $/effort/sweat/political clout tied up in that forthcoming new Santa Clara stadium that John York wants so badly.

I think it will be Michigan. He is after all from Ann Arbor.

Bidding war for Gruden will start as soon as the Orange Bowl is over & Harbaugh announces he he's leaving Stanford for (fill in the blank).

The Yorks already announced they're doing a national search for a GM as the team has been GMless for a yr. Casserly maybe? I wouldn't mind.
                            Last edited by LizardState; 12-27-2010, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                              Mike Holmgren was a college OC and an NFL OC before becoming the HC of the Packers. Gruden was an OC for like 2 seasons before becoming a HC in Oakland. George Seifert was only a DC before becoming the Niners head coach. Mike Shanahan was an OC for the Niners under Seifert before becoming a HC. Jeff Fisher was a DC for many years before becoming a HC.

I think you it's about pedigree as much as it is prior success. You want Gruden but fail to recognize that, while in Tampa, his teams got progressively worse. In Oakland, he did really well, but he had a power struggle with Al Davis.
                              I know the info you posted but my concern is hiring a guy from college who has NO NFL experience whatsoever. All those guys at least had NFL experience and were under legendary head coaches. Huge difference between them and hiring a guy from college without any NFL coaching experience period. All those guys worked their way up and proved themselves. Huge difference.

As for Gruden, TB are one of the cheapest teams in the league so not everything is on Gruden. Like the saying goes, you get what you paid for. And im not saying Gruden is perfect, he's not but no one is. I just think he's the best option available.

And like I asked before, has any college head coach who has no NFL experience whatsoever gone from college to the NFL as a head coach and be successful? Correct me if im wrong but I dont think that there ever was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosanac01
                                Just because they are big names, it doesn't mean only they know what they are doing. I don't know why you would make that statement. There are plenty of assistant coaches who have been around the game for decades and know the game well. Just haven't gotten the shot at a HC.
                                I make that statement because while there are plenty of assistant coaches who have been around for years or decades, have you ever wondered why those coaches havent been offered a head coaching job at the NFL level? Its because there's no owner/ceo/president/gm/whatever/whoever that runs a team who thinks that those guys can be successful at being a head coach. Ever think of that? After all, if the coaches who have been around for that long and still arent an NFL head coach, that should tell you something.

And im sorry, but when you look at the history of our franchise and you look at the last three head ocaches (Sing, Nolan and Erickson), I think that its now time to go back to the roots. After all, if nothing else is working, that shoul tell Jed something shouldnt it? And while having a Holmgren/Gruden combo may not work, I rather see it happen and proved wrong than get another crapper and have this same damn conversation in two years from now.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information