Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Baalke being named GM leads to Harbaugh being named head coach than no harm no foul but I don't like the direction this team is heading into if they fail to land Harbaugh or Gruden.

As much as I would like to keep Baalke on board this hire would go against everything Jed York was claiming he was looking for in a GM. Baalke does not have the experience that Jed says he was seeking and I think it would be a mistake not to wait till the first round of the playoffs are over and interview some candidates off of playoff teams that have byes or got bounced.

Also I did not like York stating he would like to see some of the current staff, such as Tomsula, retained. He did state that the head coach would get final say but still don't like Jed tinkering with the on field product. He should not be giving his opinion on that.

And No on trading Vernon and going after McNabb.

Comment

• Baalke being hired as GM would make me lose all faith in Jed. He has zero experience.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
        If Baalke being named GM leads to Harbaugh being named head coach than no harm no foul but I don't like the direction this team is heading into if they fail to land Harbaugh or Gruden.

As much as I would like to keep Baalke on board this hire would go against everything Jed York was claiming he was looking for in a GM. Baalke does not have the experience that Jed says he was seeking and I think it would be a mistake not to wait till the first round of the playoffs are over and interview some candidates off of playoff teams that have byes or got bounced.

Also I did not like York stating he would like to see some of the current staff, such as Tomsula, retained. He did state that the head coach would get final say but still don't like Jed tinkering with the on field product. He should not be giving his opinion on that.

And No on trading Vernon and going after McNabb.
        I dont like Jed. He's an immature young little punk who thinks he knows all but in reality knows nothing. And I dont believe anything he says. I watched that press conference and quite honestly, he's more full of crap than poetry.

If he really wants/thinks Baalke should be the GM, he should have just made him the GM after McCloughan was outed. At least interview Holmgren next week.

I think York saying that he would like to see some of the current staff return is bullcrap. I figured him out just by watching the press conference. He's going to do the opposite of what he says. If he makes Baalke the GM, it will only prove what im saying because it will still be Jed who's running the show.

And I have a horrible feeling that if Tomsula wins against the Cardinals, he'll be the next head coach. I seriously hope im wrong but I wouldnt be surprised one bit.

The truly sad part is that if Jed screws this up, it only prove my point that me personally (or anyone here for that matter) couldnt do any worse. Hell, we might even do better. LOL.

And **** NO in regards to trading Davis or trading for McNabb. UGH.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          I'll give you Jimmy Johnson. He made the Cowboys in the 90's. Switzer won because of Johnson just like Gruden won in Tampa because of Dungy. And both had to rebuild shortly thereafter.

Saban sucked and chose Culpepper over Brees. Enough said.

And yeah, it is possible but when you look at the percentages of it being a success, are you and other 49er fans willing to take that chance? After the last eight years, im not.
          Yes Harbaugh is worth it due to running a pro style offense and seeing how successful his brother has been in the NFL running the Ravens. Harbaugh would be a giant shot in the arm to this franchise. Plus Harbaugh has worked his ass off through the ranks. Liked what Mike Lombardi wrote about him:
          http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...r-on-sidelines
          Now, not all former players are doomed to fail. Like any business, there are people who prepare for their jobs, work hard for their promotions and achieve success. If former players want to get involved in coaching, being an ex-player is not going to guarantee success, but what will is hard work, dedication and the willingness to learn and keep learning.

For example, when working for the Raiders, we hired former Pro Bowl quarterback Jim Harbaugh to be a film breakdown coach and to work with our quarterbacks. Harbaugh, the son of a coach, understood paying his dues, hard work and what it would take to be a great leader and coach. Harbaugh was so dedicated to the cause that one night, after working for several days without sleep, his head crashed into the computer keypad with his nose landing on the M key. Waking up a few hours later, Harbaugh found 8,000 pages of Ms and the energy to keep learning. Now, after paying his dues, Harbaugh has become a successful coach at Stanford and is NFL ready if he chooses to return to the league
          Solid endorsement from somebody that is ranked pretty high around the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
            Baalke being hired as GM would make me lose all faith in Jed. He has zero experience.
            I have already lost faith and confidence in Jed. Just watch Monday's press conference. Him just playing around with that damn water bottle in his hand proves he doesnt even know what he wants to do or anything. He couldnt even decide on whether or not he wanted to drink water so how could he possibly decide on whats best for the 49ers franchise?

UGH. I'm so nervous and paranoid right now, I need a ciagarette and I dont even smoke. UGH.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
              Yes Harbaugh is worth it due to running a pro style offense and seeing how successful his brother has been in the NFL running the Ravens. Harbaugh would be a giant shot in the arm to this franchise. Plus Harbaugh has worked his ass off through the ranks. Liked what Mike Lombardi wrote about him:
              http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...r-on-sidelines
              Solid endorsement from somebody that is ranked pretty high around the league.
              You have to wonder how successful John would be if Newsome didnt draft Flacco? If they didnt get that pick right, who knows how the Ravens would be.

I agree that Harbaugh has worked hard and put in his due (unlike Sing) and I read that article yesterday. It talked about need ing to have at least three of four things in order to be a successful head coach and was based on why Sing failed.

But the one thing im worried about is that if Jed makes Baalke the GM and he hires Harbaugh. What happens down the line when Harbaugh wants to draft a certain player or sign a certain free agent or whatever the case may be and Jed over rules him? With Gruden, I dont think Gruden would take that crap. Harbaugh wanting his first shot as an NFL head coach to be a successful one might just let it go and that worries me because Jed doesnt know **** and is doing more harm than good in my opinion. Jed seems like a Jerry Jones type but far worse and thats not a good thing.

Comment

• While I dont think he would be permitted to do so, could Jed hire Eddie DeBartalo to be the GM??? Just curious about that.

Comment

And I have a horrible feeling that if Tomsula wins against the Cardinals, he'll be the next head coach. I seriously hope im wrong but I wouldnt be surprised one bit.
                  Don't be absurd. Tomsula is not going to be the next head coach.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                  You have to wonder how successful John would be if Newsome didnt draft Flacco? If they didnt get that pick right, who knows how the Ravens would be.

I agree that Harbaugh has worked hard and put in his due (unlike Sing) and I read that article yesterday. It talked about need ing to have at least three of four things in order to be a successful head coach and was based on why Sing failed.

But the one thing im worried about is that if Jed makes Baalke the GM and he hires Harbaugh. What happens down the line when Harbaugh wants to draft a certain player or sign a certain free agent or whatever the case may be and Jed over rules him? With Gruden, I dont think Gruden would take that crap. Harbaugh wanting his first shot as an NFL head coach to be a successful one might just let it go and that worries me because Jed doesnt know **** and is doing more harm than good in my opinion. Jed seems like a Jerry Jones type but far worse and thats not a good thing.
                  What if Tom Brady wasn't drafted by the Patriots, would Bill Belichick have won anything? You can say that about a lot of people and scenarios. And we don't know Jim Harbaugh, but I'm willing to be he's not a pushover. The man played in the NFL for a long time. I doubt his his psyche is phased so easily. And why would Jed overrule a decision made by Jim Harbaugh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                    Baalke being hired as GM would make me lose all faith in Jed. He has zero experience.
                    I'm not worried about his lack of experience, i'm worried that he will basically be a subserviant yes man that will maintain the current structure of the FO that's given us 8 seasons in a row without a winning record. I'd only be fine with Baalke if we got someone like Harbaugh. Baalke and some unkown HC would be a disaster, that would just be another yes man.
                    Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 12-29-2010, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• Dan, you have absolutely no basis for those comments about Jed York. Because he was figgiting with a water bottle? Really? Come on man.
                      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                        Dan, you have absolutely no basis for those comments about Jed York. Because he was figgiting with a water bottle? Really? Come on man.
                        LOL. Yes that is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                          I'm not worried about his lack of experience, i'm worried that he will basically be a subserviant yes man that will maintain the current structure of the FO that's given us 8 seasons in a row without a winning record. I'd only be fine with Baalke if we got someone like Harbaugh. Baalke and some unkown HC would be a disaster, that would just be another yes man.
                          Two inexperienced guys would be a disaster. There really isn't any reason to believe that Baalke is a certified "yes" man. Why get a general manager in the first place then?

Comment

I think York saying that he would like to see some of the current staff return is bullcrap. I figured him out just by watching the press conference. He's going to do the opposite of what he says. If he makes Baalke the GM, it will only prove what im saying because it will still be Jed who's running the show.

Why is that bullcrap? I for one hope Tomsula is retained. Not as the head coach obviously, but I feel like our defensive line play has been really solid and he's done a good job with that group. If we can keep him in the same capacity, why the hell wouldn't we?
                            Originally posted by Babylon
                            It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                              Baalke needs to stay as VP of player personnel. This draft, and the pickups that he has made, were really good.

He should just be focused on talent, and not all the other crap
                              I agree about Baalke. Though, to play devil's advocate, how mush has our draft class really impacted the season? Not much in a positive way if you ask me. Yes, it's only their rookie year, and that's why I'm not panicking because I like the Draft Baalke had and I believe this class will leave their mark.

Bringing in an proven football guru to team up with Baalke as VP of player personnel would be ideal. We do need some outside influence.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                              Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• didn't someone post something down the lines that " sf doesn't need to go out & get a big name gm or big name head coach " ? the reason i bring this up is...it's like business 101 here. if both the gm & hc are both coherent & on the same page things should turn out alright best case scenario.

now, i'm not saying sf will be the super bowl champs with this philosophy but it would make sense to hire 2 guys regardless of status. i mean, baalke did a good job w/ the draft & he is known for managing the salary cap.

it comes down to bringing in personnel that can work together, adding the right pieces in all the staff, and players who are committed. jed is going to be jed. he reminds me of some d-bag frat boy from university of oregon. complete douche & known for his pockets.

sf i hope addresses the draft the same way successful teams do. i know there was a conversation w/ jonathan kraft about their success...i just pray jed took down some legit notes.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information