This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    Set an example? Of what? NOT knowing how to run an NFL franchise? I think he's already done that.

And if Harbaugh is really who he wants, then he should hire him already instead of wasting time. And why would anyone NOT want Cowher, Gruden, etc.? They have already proven themselves. This just makes no sense whatsoever but then again, considering the fact that we're talking about Jed, im not really surprised.
    Got a bowl game this week coming up. Think he is more focused on that. 49ers job will still be there. Also check out the last 5 Super Bowl coaching match ups:
    Cowher, Holmgren
    Dungy, Lovie Smith
    Coughlin, Belichick
    Tomlin, Whisenhunt
    Payton, Caldwell

4 out of the 10 that made it where coaches who had past head coaching experience compared to 6 out of 10 who were first time head coaches promoted through the ranks. So don't really see the issue with hiring a 1st timer when the trend has shown favorably towards those hirings.

AdamSchefter 49ers president Jed York interviewed former NFL executive Michael Lombardi for two hours late Tuesday night about SF's vacant GM job.
    Would love Lombardi running the front office.

Comment

• Dan, Peter King says the Niners have ruled out Gruden, are you going to root for another team? :D

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
        Dan, Peter King says the Niners have ruled out Gruden, are you going to root for another team? :D
        Gruden probably doesn't want to coach.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
        Originally posted by Borat
        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
          Got a bowl game this week coming up. Think he is more focused on that. 49ers job will still be there. Also check out the last 5 Super Bowl coaching match ups:
          Cowher, Holmgren
          Dungy, Lovie Smith
          Coughlin, Belichick
          Tomlin, Whisenhunt
          Payton, Caldwell

4 out of the 10 that made it where coaches who had past head coaching experience compared to 6 out of 10 who were first time head coaches promoted through the ranks. So don't really see the issue with hiring a 1st timer when the trend has shown favorably towards those hirings.

Would love Lombardi running the front office.
          Shouldnt that be 5 out of 10? Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, Coughlin and Belichick. As for Tomlin/Caldwell, they inherited the team that was a year or two removed from winning the SB and pretty much kept the starters in place.

There's also a difference though in regards to Tomlin/Payton/Caldwell as im pretty sure they have a lot of influence and work well with their GM.

I have a feeling that Jed will hire a GM and HC that he (Jed) can control which is why I see a potential problem if he hires a HC who doesnt have any NFL head experience whatsoever because he could just go with the flow as opposed to a veteran HC who may challenge Jed.

Comment

Shouldnt that be 5 out of 10? Cowher, Holmgren, Dungy, Coughlin and Belichick. As for Tomlin/Caldwell, they inherited the team that was a year or two removed from winning the SB and pretty much kept the starters in place.

There's also a difference though in regards to Tomlin/Payton/Caldwell as im pretty sure they have a lot of influence and work well with their GM.
            Cowher only has been a head coach for 1 team in his coaching career. Also couldn't you make the same arugment with Gruden that he inherited a contender that had been built up?

Comment

Also couldn't you make the same arugment with Gruden that he inherited a contender that had been built up?
              Devil's advocate: the team he beat was one that he built in the previous seasons.

Yes, he built two SB teams! (Dan will love this haha.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                Dan, Peter King says the Niners have ruled out Gruden, are you going to root for another team? :D
                Translation = Gruden will cost too much money. Get ready for another cheap ass head coach. And why have they ruled out Gruden? He was just on their list yesterday and in a day, he's off the list??? Sorry, but Jed doesnt know what the hell he's doing and sooner rather than later, he'll prove me right.

I already have a few backup teams that I have liked for years. Ravens since 2000 when they won the SB. They're my main backup team I cheer for. Colts are second because they usually score a lot of points and are fun to watch. Packers are only on the list because of Clay Mathews. That guy is ******* awesome and their passing offense is what I wish ours was. The Ravens are the team I want to see win the SB the most. I love watching Ed Reed in the playoffs as he's ******* awesome and always seems to make a big play once or twice a game.

As for us, I wont be pissed if they hire Harbaugh but at the same time, there's no way we would get Luck unless we trade away next year's first rounder and thats something I wouldnt do no matter what.

And there goes my dream scenario of Holmgren/Gruden as GM/HC. Oh well, im not really surprised since in the end, its going to be Jed running the show like he's Jerry Jones. UGH.

Comment

As for us, I wont be pissed if they hire Harbaugh but at the same time, there's no way we would get Luck unless we trade away next year's first rounder and thats something I wouldnt do no matter what
                  What? I would trade next year's first rounder in a heartbeat if it meant we were going to get Andrew Luck. Elite QB Prospect > Unknown first rounder.

Comment

Devil's advocate: the team he beat was one that he built in the previous seasons.

Devil's advocate to Devil's advocate: You could say Gruden wouldn't have been able to coach up that team without Lombardi and Allen collecting all the talent. /blows everyones mind

Comment

Cowher only has been a head coach for 1 team in his coaching career. Also couldn't you make the same arugment with Gruden that he inherited a contender that had been built up?
                      Yeah, but he was in the SB back against DAL wasnt he? So, his SB appearance against SEA wasnt his first.

I have said that Gruden inherited Dungy's team which was full of veterans who the Glazers let leave except for a few and Gruden had to rebuild that team. Glazers are one the cheapest owners in the league and let all their top players from the SB win leave.

Gruden also built up the team that he beat too and if it makes you happy, I wanted the Raiders to win, not the Buccaneers.

Comment

Hahaha, funny. With TB, at least managements stayed out of the way. It was all Allen/Gruden and wasnt McKay on the Bucs back then or am I way off? Either way, those higher than the GM stayed out of the way. I dont see Jed staying the hell out of the way.

Originally posted by Brent View Post
                        What? I would trade next year's first rounder in a heartbeat if it meant we were going to get Andrew Luck. Elite QB Prospect > Unknown first rounder.
                        I wouldnt, period. But to each his own.

Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                        Devil's advocate to Devil's advocate: You could say Gruden wouldn't have been able to coach up that team without Lombardi and Allen collecting all the talent. /blows everyones mind
                        True but isnt that how it should work? The only thing I agree with from Jed's press conference is that the GM and HC ned to be on the same page. See, why I want Holmgren and Gruden? Just say that Baalke becomes GM and Harbaugh becomes the HC, how does anyone here know if thats going to work and technically, it will be more like Jed/Harbaugh since its going to be Jed running the team, not Baalke. Its just a play by Jed to come across like he cares and wants to build a winner but he couldnt give two craps.

Here's a question for everyone -

What happens if in 2011 with Baalke as GM and Harbaugh as HC, we still SUCK??? Has anyone even thought of that possibility? That could happen too you know. And yeah, the same could happen with Holmgren/Gruden but I have FAR MORE CONFIDENCE in Holmgren/Gruden than I do Jed(err, I mean Baalke)/Harbugh.

Comment

• Tomsula is the only coach I want back on the staff next year. Justin Smith has turned into one of the best DT/3-4 ends in the NFL under him, ICE has turned into a solid and very consistent player, and Franklin has become one of the best NT's in the NFL (Granted this year was a bit of a down year). The D-line is the only consistent unit on the team other than perhaps the ILB corps.

Manusky has showed that he can come up with great gameplans for teams on defense. He laid down the blue print for how to beat the colts last year, and I believe for the Saints this year, as well as how to stop the Falcons running game. His problem is he more often than not in unable to adjust to what offenses do during games.

I wouldn't be opposed to Trent Baalke being our new GM. I feel like he turned out a great draft class this year that all contributed as rookies; guys like Iupati, Mays, Davis are all going to be starters and great players for a very long time. The only reason I wouldn't want him is if Jed is really going for a complete change of culture in the organization then he has to go. Floyd Reese in that case would be my number one choice for the job.

As far as Head Coach everyone knows Jim Harbaugh has been my number one choice since early in the season. I feel like he can bring to the table exactly what the franchise needs. If they get him I feel confident in him developing any QB they take.
                          Originally posted by 49erNation85
                          I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                            Gruden probably doesn't want to coach.
                            ...for a team without a franchise QB and for under $7 mil a year. Yes.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-trent-baalke/

And people wonder why the 49ers have sucked for the last eight seasons. Gee, could it start with ownership??? My guess is a hell yeah.

Comment

• ****'s sake.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information