This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
    The only other QBs I see taking in round are only Locker and Mallet ( netwon hype overrated) if we don't get some one there . I say we wait until round 4 or 5 and get some one like Ricky Stanzi or Andy Dalton.I really his showing at the Rose bowl .
    All four (Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, Locker) have a very real shot at going to the 49ers. At this point, I wouldn't argue with picking or not picking any of them if I heard the right reasons. They all have awesome strengths and bad weaknesses. If you told me any of them were an All-Pro or a complete failure I wouldn't be shocked.

From what I've seen:

Mallett is my favorite at the moment. Early on in the season, I really wasn't a big fan, especially after the Alabama game. He seemed to lose his composure at the end and cost his team with key interceptions. He really improved as the year went on and I thought he looked really good at the end of the year. If he's going to succeed in the NFL, he's going to need a good offensive line, period. He's not mobile at all and I don't see him as a Big Ben where he's big and and move around a bit with his size. His completion percentage is great this year even though it's also a product of Petrino's system, he still deserves credit for the improvement. He obviously has a complete cannon and simply put can make some amazing throws. He's going to need a fair bit of work to improve his mechanics and footwork but there's nothing that seems like it's beyond repair.

Cam Newton is also someone that's grown on me. When you first see him, you assume he's simply another running quarterback who can occasionally throw but Newton has impressed me with his arm as well. He actually has a really nice arm. The system he plays in is obviously pretty worrying, he'd have to adjust to a pro style offense. That being said he just oozes of talent and charisma (I think he'll do great in pre-draft interviews, etc.) and I really think it would be an upset for him to fall out of the top 10 picks at this point. Whether you think he deserves it or not, there are teams that are going to fall in love with this kid and might even have him over Luck. I'm not his biggest fan but I wouldn't be hugely upset or anything if he ended up here.

Jake Locker is someone I haven't watched a lot. To put it frankly, his numbers have been completely awful at times this year. In particular, his stats are terrible against the three best defenses he played (Nebraska x 2 and Stanford). There are a ton of excuses for Locker's bad numbers that are completely legit excuses but it's still a cause for concern. This isn't a developmental guy in the mid-rounds, we're talking about a potential top 10 pick here, I don't think its unreasonable to ask for some numbers. When you watch him, you come away impressed. He reminds me of Steve McNair actually. Still, I really need to see more of him...the Senior Bowl is going to be huge for him since he'll have talent around him.

Blaine Gabbert is again, someone I haven't watched a lot. From what I've read he seems like Newton and Locker...he has all the physical tools you could ask for. He's big, quick, and has a strong arm. Also like all the others, he's going to be a project that needs coaching in a pro system to be successful. Ok, yeah I don't really know much about him because I didn't think he would leave. It seems like scouts and the NFL are a lot higher on him then the Internet sites realized. I'm surprised he didn't stay as I think him and Matt Barkley would duke it out for #1 overall next year. Can't blame him for striking while the iron is hot.

So yeah, basically all four have awesome physical tools but come from poor pro systems or have bad mechanics. Having someone who can develop them is going to be key for all of these guys.

Comment

• I made sure to pay attention to Gabbert in their bowl game the other night since i have never seen him play. I came away impressed. I really liked his footwork and throwing motion. He also has a good arm.

I think it was him who made an awesome play where he rolled out to avoid the sack, and then threw this amazing pass to his WR downfield as he was going down. (i'm not completely sure if this was him or not; been watching too many bowl games...)

Besides, if it is Harbaugh @ HC, i trust in any QB that he takes. He knows QBs. He's had 2 QBs that he has coached, both are in the NFL (Josh Johnson, eventually Luck)

edit: bonus note, he wears #11...
      Last edited by edgrenade; 01-04-2011, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• From Schefter's twitter:
        49ers requested permission to interview Raiders offensive coordinantor Hue Jackson for their head coach opening.
        Funny that 2 years ago it came down to Jackson or Raye for the 49ers OC job, Sing went with Raye, and now Jackson is interviewing for his job. Wonder if this interview is just being used to fulfill the Rooney Rule quickly, he is just right across the Bay, and then SF can move into the express lane on Harbaugh.
        Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?; 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
          The only other QBs I see taking in round are only Locker and Mallet ( netwon hype overrated) if we don't get some one there . I say we wait until round 4 or 5 and get some one like Ricky Stanzi or Andy Dalton.I really his showing at the Rose bowl .
          Such a deep QB draft that it would be inexcusable for this team to pass on a QB in round 1. It would find yet another way to set this franchise back.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
            From Schefter's twitter:
            Wonder if this interview is just being used to fulfill the Rooney Rule quickly, he is just right across the Bay, and then SF can move into the express lane on Harbaugh.
            This is correct. They are completely tunnel-visioned on Harbaugh right now.

In watching Harbaugh squirm and do everything in his power to avoid the media last night, it's obvious he is likely not going back to Stanford. Hope he can handle the media in the NFL better than Sing, who noted that their media obligations for a HC were more than he ever realized.
            Last edited by Madirishman; 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              This is correct. They are completely tunnel-visioned on Harbaugh right now.

In watching Harbaugh squirm and do everything in his power to avoid the media last night, it's obvious he is likely not going back to Stanford. Hope he can handle the media in the NFL better than Sing, who noted that their media obligations for a HC were more than he ever realized.
              Squirm is probably the last word I would use to describe him last night. In fact I thought he handled the media really well, finding ways to always put the deserved attention on his football team and enjoying the moment with his players. I think it was just a head football coach looking out for his players - if any of those reporters in that room thought they would get him to spill the beans before he told his football team, they're all insane. He does not strike me as that kind of man.

EDIT: Dan, what did you think of his body language?
              Originally posted by Babylon
              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Good one King. Even I chuckled.

I didnt see the game or the post game press conference since I dont have cable or satellite. But from what I read on PFT, it seems that he did get annoyed/agitated with the large amount of questions regarding if he's going to the NFL. If he cant handle all the questions now, he'll be like Singletary was with the media who even admitted that all the media requirements were more than he expected.

All I know is that if Jed really wants Harbaugh and Harbaugh wants Lombardi as the GM, let's all hope Jed puts his ego aside and does what he has to do to get a Lombardi/Harbaugh combo. As for Baalke, I would give him a pay raise and an extension with a clause in his contract that says any interview for a position that would be considered a promotion would require Jed's approval. We would get to keep him while he gets a good pay raise and doesnt have to deal with the responsibilities of being the GM like he's done the last several months or so.

Comment

• And here's a question -

What happens if a team hires a white HC without complying with the Rooney Rule?

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                    I made sure to pay attention to Gabbert in their bowl game the other night since i have never seen him play. I came away impressed. I really liked his footwork and throwing motion. He also has a good arm.

I think it was him who made an awesome play where he rolled out to avoid the sack, and then threw this amazing pass to his WR downfield as he was going down. (i'm not completely sure if this was him or not; been watching too many bowl games...)

Besides, if it is Harbaugh @ HC, i trust in any QB that he takes. He knows QBs. He's had 2 QBs that he has coached, both are in the NFL (Josh Johnson, eventually Luck)

edit: bonus note, he wears #11...

That was Andrew Luck :)

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                      And here's a question -

What happens if a team hires a white HC without complying with the Rooney Rule?
                      Most likely a fine. In '03 the Lions were fined $200,000 for hiring Mooch after all the minority candidates balked at the interview process knowing Mooch was going to be hired.

Comment

Good one King. Even I chuckled.

I didnt see the game or the post game press conference since I dont have cable or satellite. But from what I read on PFT, it seems that he did get annoyed/agitated with the large amount of questions regarding if he's going to the NFL. If he cant handle all the questions now, he'll be like Singletary was with the media who even admitted that all the media requirements were more than he expected.

All I know is that if Jed really wants Harbaugh and Harbaugh wants Lombardi as the GM, let's all hope Jed puts his ego aside and does what he has to do to get a Lombardi/Harbaugh combo. As for Baalke, I would give him a pay raise and an extension with a clause in his contract that says any interview for a position that would be considered a promotion would require Jed's approval. We would get to keep him while he gets a good pay raise and doesnt have to deal with the responsibilities of being the GM like he's done the last several months or so.
                        I don't care if Harbaugh is a media darling or not. All I care about is if he can get the job done...you know, what he's being paid to do.

Every situation is different. And what Harbaugh had to say that night was justified.
                        Last edited by Ness; 01-04-2011, 05:04 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                          Most likely a fine. In '03 the Lions were fined $200,000 for hiring Mooch after all the minority candidates balked at the interview process knowing Mooch was going to be hired.
                          Thats it??? I would just hire who I want and if I have to take a fine of that amount or even more, so be it.

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          I don't care if Harbaugh is a media darling or not. All I care about is if he can get the job done...you know, what he's being paid to do.

Every situation is different. And what Harbaugh had to say that night was justified.
                          I dont care either but at the same time, if he cant handle the media, how is he going to handle 53 players and a coaching staff at the NFL level?

With that said, I dont care what the media says anyway especially since they're wrong more times than not. I just think that if he's the guy Jed wants but requires Lombardi to be the GM, he should just do it as soon as he complies with the Rooney rule. So, like another day or two.

Comment

I dont care either but at the same time, if he cant handle the media, how is he going to handle 53 players and a coaching staff at the NFL level?
                            Bill Parcels was not the media darling. Yet he handled his teams just fine. If you don't care why are you complaining about it? This is a strawman argument my friend and holds about as much water as your theory that Jed can't make a good football decision because of the way he was messing around with a water bottle (no pun intended). Pretty bold to criticize the psyche of a man you don't even know...especially when he's having success. That's like saying Sterling Sharpe or Cory Dillon couldn't handle their duties as football players because they rarely talked to the media.

I know you aren't warmed up to Harbaugh, but if you're going to criticize the man use better methods than that. What you are doing now is just coming off as haterade. What was it Harbaugh did that made anyone think he couldn't handle the media anyways?
                            Last edited by Ness; 01-04-2011, 05:43 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                            Originally posted by Borat
                            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• What was it Harbaugh did that made anyone think he couldn't handle the media anyways?

A water bottle's one thing...but a pepsi? He's bad news.

Comment

• Originally posted by BandwagonPunditry View Post

A water bottle's one thing...but a pepsi? He's bad news.
                                AND he was chewing gum last night WHILE talking in the post-game news conference after winning the Orange Bowl. Bad news! LOL

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information