Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and Ryan Mallett all have a ton of potential too is the problem. It's not like Locker is going to be the only one there. It's going to be a very fluid situation with those 4 all the way up to the draft.

Comment

• Hey guys stay away from Harbaugh alright? :(

Please? Pretty pretty please?

Props to fenikz on the awesome sig

Comment

• On Friday, Delaware plays in the FCS championship, so you will get to see Delvin play for those who are curious.

I know that I will watch the replay on ESPN3 after the Cotton Bowl.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
          Cameron Newton, Blaine Gabbert, and Ryan Mallett all have a ton of potential too is the problem. It's not like Locker is going to be the only one there. It's going to be a very fluid situation with those 4 all the way up to the draft.
          something that will be interesting to see is how they do in the draft in comparison to locker as, because they are juniors, the differing levels of maturity and their leadership abilities

Comment

• I would like to see Newton stay another year just to see if can back up the seasonal starts again another year but I doubt he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
              I would like to see Newton stay another year just to see if can back up the seasonal starts again another year but I doubt he does.
              i doubt he does either, i'm not sure there is anyway that his stock can go up from here, unless he wins another heisman or starts running less and shows that he can be a dynamic passer at all times instead of just on the rare occasion that Auburn decides to switch it up and throw

Comment

• Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
                something that will be interesting to see is how they do in the draft in comparison to locker as, because they are juniors, the differing levels of maturity and their leadership abilities

Jake Locker - Class of 2006

Ryan Mallett - Class of 2007
                Cameron Newton - Class of 2007
                Andrew Luck - Class of 2008
                Blaine Gabbert - Class of 2008

I was curious to see what high school class these guys were in. Here are the old Rivals' profiles if anyone else is interested. All of them were pretty big recruits.

Comment

I'll take whatever quarterback Harbaugh wants. So if he wants Locker that's fine with me. That being said I don't know how Locker's season isn't extremely worrisome. He was supposed to come back to school and have a breakthrough year but he looked exactly the same. I know his supporting cast is bad but seriously...

Nebraska: 4-20, 71 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
                  Stanford: 7-14, 64 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs
                  UCLA: 10-21, 68 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
                  Nebraska: 5-16, 56 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Sorry but those numbers are flat out pathetic no matter who he is playing or how bad his team is. I know he has the tools but we're picking 7th and I can't be comfortable picking a quarterback 7th who plays that bad.
                  Those numbers are worse than I remember. He did play in a pro-style offense though, which is a plus. I'm curious to see how he measures out at the Senior Bowl, Combine, workouts, etc. before I make a final judgment on his Draft status. He definitely hurt his stock by coming back another year, though.

He very well could be the Taylor Mays of this year's draft....
                  ....and fall to the Niners in the 2nd Round!

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                  Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                    Via Shefter's Twitter 6:20 pm Eastern
                    Haha, I love that Schefter is using Ninerholic "sources" for his tweets.

Comment

• I watched Mallett last night and though the critics I heard today were a little harsh on his performance, I marveled at the throws he could make and cringed at the 7+ dropped balls from his receivers that were right on the money; it would have led him to have 400+ yards passing and win the game. Arkansas' loss wasn't his fault, even though he threw that pick late.

In comparing him to Luck, Mallett has more of an aggressive, gun-slinger mentality and demeanor about him it seems, whereas Luck is more of a cerebral type of QB. Mallett can place amazing touch on his throws, with very good accuracy. He looked sloppy at times on the run and when he was hurried, which would be the clear areas where Luck is above him at this point. He can definitely make the throws and lead a team. He would need a sturdy O-Line to give him time to pick a D apart.

IMO, successful NFL comparisons for them would be:

Mallett: Matt Shaub, Jay Cutler
                      Luck: Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                      Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

I'll take whatever quarterback Harbaugh wants. So if he wants Locker that's fine with me. That being said I don't know how Locker's season isn't extremely worrisome. He was supposed to come back to school and have a breakthrough year but he looked exactly the same. I know his supporting cast is bad but seriously...

Nebraska: 4-20, 71 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs
                        Stanford: 7-14, 64 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs
                        UCLA: 10-21, 68 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT
                        Nebraska: 5-16, 56 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs

Sorry but those numbers are flat out pathetic no matter who he is playing or how bad his team is. I know he has the tools but we're picking 7th and I can't be comfortable picking a quarterback 7th who plays that bad.
                        I think you guys would be better off passing on Locker, he probably should go around the 21st pick in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
                          I agree with that, if we decide that the price is too high to trade up to get Luck, i feel like that is the best possible outcome we could get though. If that doesn't happen, as it probably won't, I like the outcome that you've drawn out.

I'm just afraid that if we take an "elite" pass rusher, that he'll turn out like many of the pass rushers taken early in the last couple of drafts a la aaron maybin, jarvis moss, vernon gholston, etc. However, if Akeem Ayers is available in the second, that could be a big pickup, but it still scares me as, like many of the guys I just mentioned, his upside is huge, but so is his downside
                          Remember, trading down would give us an extra second and/or third rounder while we still have our first rounder. Say, for example, we trade down to the 15th spot which would require the other team's second rounder, we could select Locker at 15 while having two second rounders which can be used to trade back into the 20's of the first rounder for a pass rusher if there's one who's worth trading back into the first round for. I understand that you're worried about drafting a pass rushing bust but at least it would be in the 20's as opposed to the top ten. Value wise, it would be a good deal plus I also like the fact that I can sign a first rounder who was drafted at 17-32 for five years where as once the second round hits, the maximum is four years. I would also still have my third rounder plus since I think we draft at 45 in the second round, a first round talent that we could get in the 20's could be long gone by then.

Of course, every draft pick is 50/50 and that includes a prospect like Luck too. I'm thinking more on the lines of filling a need (that hopefully gets solved with the pick) while getting great value at a cheaper price too.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                          Why even trade down then?If you want him at 7th then might as well draft him there.I don't think he will make it pass Sea or Wash if drops that far.I'm sure he shows up at the combine work out and does well.But all PEOPLE wanna know is how does throwing , what happens if he doesn't throw ? So you might as well just take him at the 7th pick.
                          I might want Locker at 7 if Luck and another one or two QB's are gone in the top six but if Luck is the only player gone when we're on the board and CB Patrick Peterson is also gone, I most likely trade down. If he doesnt throw, his value drops so why would I draft him at 7 especially when you'll most likely know how far he'll fall. Plus, if the juniors outshine him at the combine, he may fall into the second round. If that happens, I definitely focus on Peterson at 7 or trade down if he's gone and then trade back into the mid-late 20's to get Locker before the teams who draft at the top of round two decide to draft him.

Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
                          why trade down? because picking him at 7 would most likely be considered a pretty large reach, especially considering the season he just had. plus, trading down would allow us to accumulate more picks to, in theory, help bolster the rest of our roster
                          Exactly. At 7, Locker could be a huge reach and if there's 3 other potential QB's after Luck that could go ahead of him, why draft him at 7? You want to get the guy you want but you also want value too. And like kid says, you can get great value at a cheaper price while at the same time, make your roster stronger.

Comment

• now that the titans have gotten rid of young, they will be looking for a QB at 8 -- one spot behind us. So you also have to take that into account when trading down

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                              Don't say that taking him at 7 is a reach, by April, that might seem appropriate.

Also, all of you talking about 'trading down': no team trades down, a team trades up. You can't just call up a team and ask them if they want to give up picks and spend more money because you dont like the options at your slot.
                              I know that 7 might not be a reach by then but it is now and yes, im aware that you need a team that wants to trade up but I think I can speak for everyone here when I say, im bored and just trying to waste time by talking about other stuff until we find out if Harbaugh is our next head coach. :)

Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                              rainbeaukid2,
                              So your basically comparing his stats to the pick ? meh , I look at his potential and athletic ability to be able to compete at QB which is pretty high.If our new HC Harb can coach into a good QB then he stats don't mean crap he'll start fresh and ready to go under our new play book hopefully as well.I really don't see us singing a veteran QB waste of money with the ones going into FA IMO.So might as well just draft him .With our WR core and his arm strength is should be a good combo.
                              I understand what you're saying to rainbeaukid and I agree but why draft him at 7 when you could get him at 15 while at the same time, havin an extra second and/or third rounder to play with?

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                                now that the titans have gotten rid of young, they will be looking for a QB at 8 -- one spot behind us. So you also have to take that into account when trading down
                                True but a few teams may acquire a veteran QB or sign a FA QB which evens it all out. And the Titans havent gotten rid of Young yet. He'll be a Titan until he's traded or released. Even though Adams said that he wont be back, I think he's saying that to applease Fisher in the hopes that they can both be in TEN in 2011. Just have to wait and see what happens because both are under contract and until I see one or the other gone, im going to keep thinking that both will be back in 2011 with TEN.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information