Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locker did decline this year compared to last but his suporting cast also declined from what I have read. I'm hoping that all four junior QB's declare because if that happens, I think that Locker will be the one who gets lost in the shuffle which would be great because we could get him in the 20's while still having extra picks since everyone else would be focused on the four juniors.

Comment

• And for anyone who was hoping for DC Wade Phillips, you can forget it as he's signed with HOU to be their DC. With that said, they're going to have to transition to the 3-4 after playing the 4-3 the last five seasons and looking at their team, DE Mario Williams is way too big at 295 to play OLB and would be a waste as a 3-4 DE. I dont know if he signed a contract extension but if he hasnt, he would have one year left on his six year rookie deal and if we go back to the 4-3, what's everyone's thought of trading our second round draft pick to HOU for him? Granted, we would have to sign him to an extension if his current contract expires after 2011 but at only 26 years old later this month, playing him opposite Justin Smith would be awesome and since we wouldnt have to draft a rookie pass rusher, I would have no problem with this move. And just imagine if we trade a 4th rounder to WSH for Haynesworth and keep Franklin. Williams, Franklin, Haynesworth, Smith. That could be the best DL in the NFL.

And yeah, yeah, I know. I should stop playing Crapadden but im bored and its just an idea since there's no way Williams will fit in with the 3-4. Stat wise, Williams has 48 career sacks for an average of 9.6 per season. When you compare that to Lawson, Haralson and Brooks during their 49ers career, they still come up three sacks short for a total of 45.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        And for anyone who was hoping for DC Wade Phillips, you can forget it as he's signed with HOU to be their DC. With that said, they're going to have to transition to the 3-4 after playing the 4-3 the last five seasons and looking at their team, DE Mario Williams is way too big at 295 to play OLB and would be a waste as a 3-4 DE. I dont know if he signed a contract extension but if he hasnt, he would have one year left on his six year rookie deal and if we go back to the 4-3, what's everyone's thought of trading our second round draft pick to HOU for him? Granted, we would have to sign him to an extension if his current contract expires after 2011 but at only 26 years old later this month, playing him opposite Justin Smith would be awesome and since we wouldnt have to draft a rookie pass rusher, I would have no problem with this move. And just imagine if we trade a 4th rounder to WSH for Haynesworth and keep Franklin. Williams, Franklin, Haynesworth, Smith. That could be the best DL in the NFL.

And yeah, yeah, I know. I should stop playing Crapadden but im bored and its just an idea since there's no way Williams will fit in with the 3-4. Stat wise, Williams has 48 career sacks for an average of 9.6 per season. When you compare that to Lawson, Haralson and Brooks during their 49ers career, they still come up three sacks short for a total of 45.
        i guess he is going to use williams a la bruce smith http://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL...83756041453568

Comment

• Franklin said he was going to test FA (somewhere in Maiocco's or Barrows previous blogs).

If we go to the 4-3, we are going to need a lot of work at OLB.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
            And for anyone who was hoping for DC Wade Phillips, you can forget it as he's signed with HOU to be their DC. With that said, they're going to have to transition to the 3-4 after playing the 4-3 the last five seasons and looking at their team, DE Mario Williams is way too big at 295 to play OLB and would be a waste as a 3-4 DE. I dont know if he signed a contract extension but if he hasnt, he would have one year left on his six year rookie deal and if we go back to the 4-3, what's everyone's thought of trading our second round draft pick to HOU for him? Granted, we would have to sign him to an extension if his current contract expires after 2011 but at only 26 years old later this month, playing him opposite Justin Smith would be awesome and since we wouldnt have to draft a rookie pass rusher, I would have no problem with this move. And just imagine if we trade a 4th rounder to WSH for Haynesworth and keep Franklin. Williams, Franklin, Haynesworth, Smith. That could be the best DL in the NFL.

Wade Phillips has already said he plans to use Mario the same way he used Bruce Smith in Buffalo. I'm a little too young to remember Phillips in Buffalo really so I'm not sure what role that was. But Bruce Smith had 65 sacks in six seasons in Buffalo. He might be a terrible head coach but he was an awesome defensive coordinator so I'm sure he'll make it work.

And I think it would take a lot more then just a 2nd rounder for Williams. I mean Jared Allen fetched a 1st, two 3rds, and a swap of 6th rounders and the Texans would be looking for at least that I'd imagine.

Comment

• Did Dan just say trade a 2nd for Super Mario? Dan youre ******* high if you think the Texans would give up Mario for a 2nd round pick and nothing else.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
                Three points.

1. If Harbaugh brings Fangio, I would hope he plays his 3-4 Hybrid. His years as a DC in a 4-3 scheme with the Colts and Texans were TERRIBLE. He had great results using a 3-4 with the Saints, Panthers, Ravens, and at Stanford.

2. I think we'd be fine at 4-3 LB. Both Spikes and Bowman have played more 4-3 OLB than 3-4 ILB. Also, I think Manny translates beautifully to a 4-3 OLB. Even Brian Orakpo, and Michael Johnson played the position nicely the last 2 seasons and Manny is better in space than both of them.

3. I think we're staying 3-4

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
                  Franklin said he was going to test FA (somewhere in Maiocco's or Barrows previous blogs).

Franklin can only test out FA if he's not franchised for the second straight season and if SF doesnt franchise him, I would be surprised since 3-4 NT's are rare and letting him walk for free would be a huge mistake.

Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                  Wade Phillips has already said he plans to use Mario the same way he used Bruce Smith in Buffalo. I'm a little too young to remember Phillips in Buffalo really so I'm not sure what role that was. But Bruce Smith had 65 sacks in six seasons in Buffalo. He might be a terrible head coach but he was an awesome defensive coordinator so I'm sure he'll make it work.

And I think it would take a lot more then just a 2nd rounder for Williams. I mean Jared Allen fetched a 1st, two 3rds, and a swap of 6th rounders and the Texans would be looking for at least that I'd imagine.
                  Yeah, Phillips is definitely better as a DC but whether or not Mario Williams wants to play in a 3-4 and whether or not he adapts to it remains to be seen. While it would take more than a 2nd rounder for Williams, he has one year left on his contract which is at $13.6m and he'll then be an UFA in 2012. If HOU thinks that they'll lose him, better to trade him for the best offer and move on.

As for Allen, people forget that he was franchised by the Chiefs before being traded. Williams is playing under the final year of his rookie deal for $13.6m and while the Texans could easily wait a year if they were to trade him, if they received an offer that was close to what the Chiefs received for Allen, I think that they would at least look it over.

Just a thought. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
                    Three points.

1. If Harbaugh brings Fangio, I would hope he plays his 3-4 Hybrid. His years as a DC in a 4-3 scheme with the Colts and Texans were TERRIBLE. He had great results using a 3-4 with the Saints, Panthers, Ravens, and at Stanford.

2. I think we'd be fine at 4-3 LB. Both Spikes and Bowman have played more 4-3 OLB than 3-4 ILB. Also, I think Manny translates beautifully to a 4-3 OLB. Even Brian Orakpo, and Michael Johnson played the position nicely the last 2 seasons and Manny is better in space than both of them.

3. I think we're staying 3-4
                    The issue about going to a 4-3 for me is that we have an abundance of 3-4 OLBs on the roster (Haralson, Brooks, Gibson), some of whom aren't good enough in coverage unless we move them to DE. Bowman and Spikes would work out as 4-3 OLB, and so would Manny, but it becomes a problem when they get gassed/injured. Not to mention the fact that Manny isn't under contract yet.

Much rather stay in the 3-4.

Comment

• Dan, I love you, but you crazy boo.
                      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Lawson, PW & Bowman & Just Smith can all easily play in a 4-3 if needed. I think Man-Law would start to be recognized as one of the best OLB's in the league shorty thereafter as he's become very versatile at the NFL level. You would have to look at having ICE matched up inside with Ray Mac, RJF or perhaps one of these elite DT's in the Draft this year (it appears to be deep at that position). Saying all this, I bet the Niners stay with the 3/4 for at least another season, though.

Mario Williams is a pipe dream. We have other priorities and positions to focus on with our high draft picks in the coming years than trading a chunk of them away for a player who doesn't fit our current defensive scheme.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam Schefter
                          RT @mortreport: Filed to ESPN: Dolphins owner Steve Ross has traveled west to make an urgent pitch to Jim Harbaugh to become their next HC.
                          I hope we set the price too high...

ESPN Story on Ross flying to Harbaugh

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5993761

Originally posted by ESPN
                          Ross is willing to make Harbaugh the highest-paid coach in the NFL, which would place his salary in the $7-to-$8-million range, the sources said, after receiving a signal from the Stanford coach that he was now willing to listen seriously to the team's presentation
                          Last edited by king2am; 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: ESPN link
                          Originally posted by Babylon
                          It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                            I hope we set the price too high...

ESPN Story on Ross flying to Harbaugh

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5993761
                            For a Billionaire who is also a Michigan alum?! Don't bet the farm on it.

Hopefully in their lengthy meeting today, the Niners will able to negotiate with Harbaugh and we'll hear an official announcement tomorrow am.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• why do we have to wait until tomorrow dang it .Oh well more of a chance to waking up to some good news in the am .

Comment

• Rooney rule may save us as the Dolphins haven't followed it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information