This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
    Contracts also go the way of performance. It's something that looms over everybody's head (unless you are the owner's son) and is even larger in professional sports.

Singletary performed alright in his first year. If he did the same this year, or did better, he'd still be the HC.

If the next HC does well, they won't be fired. It's not like Jed is firing people by simply pointing a finger at them and saying "You're gone." If that was the case, who would even be interviewing with the Niners for a HC position?
    I know that but at the same time, look at who Jed has hired since Mariucci - Erickson, Nolan and Singletary. Add in the amount of players lost after the 2003 season and salary cap problems plus internal bullcrap and an owner's son who doesnt know what the hell he's doing and well, I would be asking for more money too.

Jed is making the same exact mistake that Sing and Nolan made - like them, he think that he should be running things because he thinks thats whats best for the team. Sadly, like Sing and Nolan, he's wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
      I know that but at the same time, look at who Jed has hired since Mariucci - Erickson, Nolan and Singletary. Add in the amount of players lost after the 2003 season and salary cap problems plus internal bullcrap and an owner's son who doesnt know what the hell he's doing and well, I would be asking for more money too.

Jed is making the same exact mistake that Sing and Nolan made - like them, he think that he should be running things because he thinks thats whats best for the team. Sadly, like Sing and Nolan, he's wrong.
      I can't find any reports of Jed hiring Erickson and Nolan. All I can gather online is that Jed joined the Niners as an exec during the Nolan era (not sure when). Not to mention he started off in Strategic Planning (aka financial development).

Comment

• Originally posted by Verloren View Post
        I can't find any reports of Jed hiring Erickson and Nolan. All I can gather online is that Jed joined the Niners as an exec during the Nolan era (not sure when). Not to mention he started off in Strategic Planning (aka financial development).
        It was his father who hired Erickson and Nolan but my point is that you can see where he gets his persona from. Whether its him or his dad, the results are the same.

Comment

I think that its about two things - money and promoting Baalke as the GM. Wouldnt it be funny if Harbaugh tells Ross that he'll go to MIA if he hires Lombardi as the GM to replace Ireland. I honestly believe that Harbaugh wanted Lombardi and after a six hour meeting, if the guy hasnt signed with you, he isnt going to period because he would have done it already. I think the reason why Harbaugh wanted Lombardi is because he knows him and has confidence in him where as he doenst know Trent plus he probably knows that Jed will be the boss, not Trent so if you're Harbaugh, would you really want to come to SF? I wouldnt because everything thats happening is the opposite of what Jed said in his press conference so while people say that Harbaugh is just trying to up his price (which is what every single one of us would do), I dont blame him because if you're talking to Jed and he's telling you the opposite of what he's said during that press conference and afterwards, would you really want to work for him? I wouldnt and he could offer me double and I still would say no. If the offer from Michigan is true ($5.2m) and Carroll from SEA who has his team in the playoffs, why wouldnt Harbaugh ask for more? I would. If Michigan offers me that, im definitely asking for more at the NFL level and considering that Jed just saw the Seahawks get into the playoffs with Carroll only upps Harbaugh's price.
          Your rant is pure speculation and all about your perception that Jed is a liar because he didn't spell out his master plans for the GM and HC searches to the media.

Since you're on vacation and you're not playing 'crapadden,' you have some time to do some research.

Find a video or transcript of an interview of someone you admire in sports management (GM, President, Head Coach in NFL preferred), diagnose what they say down to the exact literal word like you always do with Jed, and see if they actually did exactly what they said afterward, step-by-step, not deviating form the plan, not hiding anything, and not including any cliches.

It's what happens in the big leagues, dude. They tell the press as much as they need to or want to, but NEVER the whole story. Never.

Jed has made a very fair offer to Harbaugh but he has to draw the line somewhere. It's a simple cost-benefit analysis as we are not guaranteed anything with Harbaugh as HC. There are other options out there that could work just as well or perhaps better as HC for the Niners should Harbaugh not work out. It's not the end of the world if he takes the fins' blank check.
          Last edited by Madirishman; 01-06-2011, 12:32 AM. Reason: Tiredness...

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• I really don't see any reason to be upset with Jed if he loses out on Harbaugh because of money. There is really no way he can compete with Stephen Ross even if he wanted to. Ross is just filthy rich. If Ross puts his mind to it, he's going to outbid everyone in the NFL besides Paul Allen. Jed probably shouldn't have said money wouldn't be an issue but I doubt he thought anyone would be willing to make Harbaugh the highest paid coach in the NFL either.

Fun fact, richest owners in the NFL in order: Paul Allen (Seattle), Stephen Ross (Miami), Stan Kroenke (St. Louis). Glad we have to compete with 2 of the 3 richest owners in the NFL in our division and are battling the other one for a coach.

Now if Jed's backup plan is Josh freaking McDaniels then everyone has the right to have a riot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
              Your rant is pure speculation and all about your perception that Jed is a liar because he didn't spell out his master plans for the GM and HC searches to the media.

Since you're on vacation and you're not playing 'crapadden,' you have some time to do some research.

Find a video or transcript of an interview of someone you admire in sports management (GM, President, Head Coach in NFL preferred), diagnose what they say down to the exact literal word like you always do with Jed, and see if they actually did exactly what they said afterward, step-by-step, not deviating form the plan, not hiding anything, and not including any cliches.

It's what happens in the big leagues, dude. They tell the press as much as they need to or want to, but NEVER the whole story. Never.

Jed has made a very fair offer to Harbaugh but he has to draw the line somewhere. It's a simple cost-benefit analysis as we are not guaranteed anything with Harbaugh as HC. There are other options out there that could work just as well or perhaps better as HC for the Niners should Harbaugh not work out. It's not the end of the world if he takes the fins' blank check.
              Come on man. I know all that already. Jed just makes himself look stupid because he says that he wants to get the 49ers back to where they should be but when you look at the decisions that he makes, how can anyone believe that? I just think that if Jed was really set on Harbaugh, he would have hired Lombardi as the GM to show him that he was serious. Hell, he should have hired Lombardi in general but whatever.

Comment

• I'm hoping that Harbaugh is just practicing good business by considering multiple offers. If I were the HAWTEST coach on the market, I would want to check out my options...

I really do think that not having to move his family, top 10 pick, and a young talented team is hard to pass up

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                  I'm hoping that Harbaugh is just practicing good business by considering multiple offers. If I were the HAWTEST coach on the market, I would want to check out my options...

I really do think that not having to move his family, top 10 pick, and a young talented team is hard to pass up
                  god i sure hope so

also from maiocco

Originally posted by Matt Maiocco
                  The San Jose Mercury News reported there appeared to be a deal in place. But Harbaugh said he wanted to at least listen to what the Dolphins' owner had to say.
                  says virtually what we already knew, but threw in the fact that there appeared to be a deal in place, although who knows how accurate that actually is

Comment

• 1st rule of business: never accept the 1st offer.
                    Harbaugh would be selling himself short if he accepted our offer without atleast testing the market place. Dont be surprised that we wake up tomorrow to the news the deal is done. 9ers will stump up abit more & all will be good.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

• i've never made this claim before, but if jed & the sf brass do not get harbaugh or another good caliber coach ( holmgren, gruden, fox, or fisher ) i vow to never root for them again until jed & company leave the 49er family.

mccdaniels? fu**ing really!!!! the same guy who traded away the 1st white dude to rush for over 1000 yards?

cutler who has been getting better as the season goes on...another bad trade

marshall, really?

trades for his buddies from new england, yea, i'm not interested in seeing vernon davis, pat willis, or frank gore for garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
                        i've never made this claim before, but if jed & the sf brass do not get harbaugh or another good caliber coach ( holmgren, gruden, fox, or fisher ) i vow to never root for them again until jed & company leave the 49er family.

Harbaugh - it's impossible to compete financially with the Dolphins, impossible.

Holmgren - he's trying to resurrect the Browns, if he wants to coach again he'll just take that job

Gruden - so far every indication has him dedicated to the mnf booth, he turned down the offer from the Dolphins that Harbaugh is getting this morning

Fox - available, but will more than likely have his choice of landing spot

Fisher - Bud Adams chose Fisher instead of vince young, it appears that Fisher will coach out his contract (1 or 2 more years)

So Basically if we don't get Harbaugh or Fox, two guys who essentially control their own destiny, you won't be a 49er fan?

Come on, everyone is on edge, everyone is anxious, i'm sure everyone here wants Harbaugh and believes our team has more to offer than the phins, but let's try and keep the drama to a minimum.
                        Originally posted by Babylon
                        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post
                          Harbaugh - it's impossible to compete financially with the Dolphins, impossible.

Holmgren - he's trying to resurrect the Browns, if he wants to coach again he'll just take that job

Gruden - so far every indication has him dedicated to the mnf booth, he turned down the offer from the Dolphins that Harbaugh is getting this morning

Fisher - Bud Adams chose Fisher instead of vince young, it appears that Fisher will coach out his contract (1 or 2 more years)

So Basically if we don't get Harbaugh or Fox, two guys who essentially control their own destiny, you won't be a 49er fan?

Come on, everyone is on edge, everyone is anxious, i'm sure everyone here wants Harbaugh and believes our team has more to offer than the phins, but let's try and keep the drama to a minimum.
                          Too late. We already have drama and complete over-reactions on this board.

Yes, and Fox is a better fit for the Browns than the Niners IMO.

McDaniels is not a lock for the job. Just cause his name was brought up, it doesn't mean that he's our next HC. Guys like Dan and Chapo are going off the deep end. We're going to nee a couple straitjackets soon.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

Come on man. I know all that already. Jed just makes himself look stupid because he says that he wants to get the 49ers back to where they should be but when you look at the decisions that he makes, how can anyone believe that? I just think that if Jed was really set on Harbaugh, he would have hired Lombardi as the GM to show him that he was serious. Hell, he should have hired Lombardi in general but whatever.
                            Do you really know that all already?! Seriously?!

If Jed wanted to give up full control of his franchise to one guy, he just should have made Harbaugh the GM too. Why bring in a hand-selected guy in Lombardi (even though you're assumption of this needing to happen is ludicrous) to be a lame duck GM if Harbaugh was going to have all the power? If Harbaugh and Lombardi were a package deal, then the Niners wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet and negotiate with Harbaugh.

You blame Jed for everything but your conclusions that are drawn are just silly. You don't think that after a 6 hour meeting in which they offered him a 5 year contract at approx $5 mil per year, that Harbaugh isn't taking the Niners seriously and that the Niners haven't shown that they really want him? C'mon man!

Comment

• Originally posted by king2am View Post

here's the thing. my favorite team PERIOD is being ran by guy who has lied to me as a fan & believer that this franchise can turned around. the whole baalke things aside, i don't trust him. i'm a believer in trust & proper communication. 2 things that don't exist in sf anymore. i'm sorry to offend anyone but in reality is i have seen just about enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                                Too late. We already have drama and complete over-reactions on this board.

Yes, and Fox is a better fit for the Browns than the Niners IMO.

McDaniels is not a lock for the job. Just cause his name was brought up, it doesn't mean that he's our next HC. Guys like Dan and Chapo are going off the deep end. We're going to nee a couple straitjackets soon.
                                hahaha at the straight jacket comment, but really though. i have all the right to be upset about the choices made by some 29 yr old punk. i'm 28 & know it takes time to build an empire & productive system to work - meaning i woulden't feel the need to rush into a choice/decision i especially when there is a lot riding on this.
                                all i want to see is my team to make it to the postseason. when this punk speaks, it doesn't exactly ooze of class. what i find baffling is that all the quality teams get recruited from. why wasn't anyone from atlanta, new england, new orleans, philadelphia ever spoken to?
                                i want to feel like i can buy into this & right now i am not sold.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information