X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    A number of reasons:
    -It wasnt that long ago we took a 1st round QB (that didnt work out)
    -It's not our highest priority at the moment
    -Too much money for someone that isnt going to contribute right away
    -The bust potential on a QB is to high
    -With the amount of money being paid to a guy sitting, it creates pressure to play him too soon

I am sure the others here could think of more reasons as well.
    hes another QB coming from a spread offense....

Comment

• Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
      He's shorter. He might be slower but not by alot due to Taylor Mays' freakish athleticism but he definitely isn't a worse tackler. Taylor Mays has one of the most terrible tackling techniques I have ever seen in a safety. He gets away with it because he's bigger and stronger than everyone else IN COLLEGE. I'd like to see him tackle a Brandon Jacobs like the way he does.
      Did you happen to see Brian Dawkins wiff like a fool against Brandon Jacobs yesterday? Or how about Polamalu matched up with Manumalena (sp) and come away empty. The fact of the matter is that all of the safeties that play down hill and look to take your head off, are going to miss. Every single game they are going to miss. But when they connect, that's the reason they are elite. Polamalu misses a ton of tackles every time I watch him, but the speed at which he plays makes him a nightmare, and receivers know where he is at all times. I believe that Mays can be this exact type of player.

But in this instance you are right. If mays goes head to head with jacobs he will lose. But I would promise you that it would happen once, and then Mays, like everyone else would go much lower.

But I'd be willing to bet that coming down hill, he'd be able to go toe to toe with any other ball carrier in the league. And certainly could crush any receiver coming across the middle. So when you reference that he's bigger than everyone else in COLLEGE, you need to understand that at 235 he's still a big fella in the pros. In fact, excluding tight ends, he's bigger than every guy in our division that will be touching the ball. Steven Jackson is tied with him at 235. But it's not like he was playing against lightweight tight ends to begin with.

So this whole, he was big in college, implying he's not big in the pros, is ridiculous and you know it, or at least you do now.

** I think it was No Love who mentioned something to the effect of drafting a tackle instead of Mays. And I am with you on that, and I think even those who would really like to see Mays come here would agree. The problem is, is that one of the elite tackles would need to fall to us, IMO, in order to pass up Mays. I don't see that happening, and rather than take a less than elite tackle prospect, i'd rather take an elite safety prospect instead.
      Originally posted by Babylon
      It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• Tackles will go faster than safeties in the Draft, just as they did last year. Anybody remember Sam Baker as a 1st Round Pick? He was a 2nd Round talent at the most and THAT was a stretch.

With that being said, I think the caliber of Tackle at 10 will be good, but by the 2nd Round, the Niners may have to overdraft a guy that was originally a 3rd Round projection. Whereas, with safeties, not as many teams need them.

If the jury is out on whether Mays or Moore is better, why take either one at 10? We need a can't-miss type of prospect there, not a project player. I bet a guy like Oher falls to them there, and I think he is an excellent value at 10. There's a much better chance that a safety that could still start for the Niners falls into the 2nd Round.

I like Mays more than Moore, but I've seen mocks with Mays going in the late 1st/Early 2nd. I don't want them to overdraft another "workout warrior" that impresses at the combine (Vernon Davis).

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
        Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• But will the front office want to spend top 10 money on a RT? They would be paying the guy more than Joe Staley.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/018494.html

Originally posted by Matt Barrows
            The 49ers have added Rick Dennison, the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator, to their list of offensive coordinator candidates. In Dennison, 50, Mike Singletary will find a fellow former linebacker who played roughly the same span as Singletary. Dennison spent nine seasons with the Broncos from 1982-1990. He joined the Broncos as an offensive assistant in 1995. He coached the team's offensive line for five seasons before being promoted to offensive coordinator in 2006.
            I find him to be an appealing candidate, especially given the Broncos' success running the ball. I wonder if he would use a zone blocking scheme or change it up.

Comment

• Just throwing this out there, but playing safety for the four teams remaining in the playoffs are Adrian Wilson, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, and Ed Reed. Safeties may not be the most valuable position out there, but the good teams out there all seem to have an elite guy (or if they don't they regret it; See: Dallas Cowboys).

Comment

• by adding mays it doesn't end the need for rt, de, and another solid wr, maybe even a young rd to help spell gore.
                dawkins ( if he was signed ) would be a short term solution. i hope they spend time looking @ mays, patrick chung or michael hamlin.
                bradford? sf has a decent qb in Hill. i would hope they bring a guy like garcia or charlie batch for cheap to help tutor him. hell, even jon kitna just for a season or 2 to help develop hill. spend an early pick next season on tebow, bradford, sanchez or nate davis but this season coming up not this year. maybe in the 5th or 7th on drew willy, mike teel, or tom brandstater to be your 3rd option.
                Last edited by chapo123; 01-12-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• Dawkins would not be a long term solution so I'd rather look to youth in the draft. Safety is a need but then again so is another 5 positions so I think we just take the best player available rather than reach for our needs.

I wouldnt mind Sanchez in the 2nd or Stafford in the 1st (if they fell) otherwise I dont want a QB before rd 4 if at all.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Comment

• What about Josh Freeman in the 4th round?

Comment

• Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
                      Dawkins would not be a long term solution so I'd rather look to youth in the draft. Safety is a need but then again so is another 5 positions so I think we just take the best player available rather than reach for our needs.

I wouldnt mind Sanchez in the 2nd or Stafford in the 1st (if they fell) otherwise I dont want a QB before rd 4 if at all.
                      Same. I think it would be wise to take BPA at #10 and trade back into round one to get a QB. Since I think Stafford and Bradford will be off the board by 10.

I also think that SF might try to replicate what they wanted to do in last years draft. Supposedly they would have taken Mayo, if they hadn't traded the pick to the Pats, and tried to trade back into round one for Flacco. I could see them grabbing Ray Maualuga at pick 10 and a QB in the last first round.

Also I think we can rule out Brian Dawkins:
                      Originally posted by Matt Maiocco
                      Question: I think Brian Dawkins is a free agent after this year. He is old, but head and shoulders above the niners safties. Any chance of a one year deal for the Niners?

My response: I would not think so. Dawkins is still a fine player. But he is 35, and I think the 49ers would like to get somebody younger. Lewis is younger and he does a very good job close to the line of scrimmage. And Dawkins has only two more interceptions the past two seasons than Roman. --Matt M.
                      Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?; 01-13-2009, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninerfan View Post
                        Dawkins would not be a long term solution so I'd rather look to youth in the draft. Safety is a need but then again so is another 5 positions so I think we just take the best player available rather than reach for our needs.

he'll be long gone before the 2nd round.

Comment

• Taylor Mays is staying for his senior year.

Comment

• sf needs to look elsewhere since mays isn't coming out.malcom jenkins, michael oher, aaron curry would be great @ 10 spot

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                              What about Josh Freeman in the 4th round?
                              As I have said before, I would hate if the Niners drafted Josh Freeman. He has no accuracy and is nothing aside from his supposed potential, which comes from his measurables and not his performance on the field.

Comment

• Mays stays... So now what?

I had Taylor Mays locked into the 10th pick but now that he is staying in school what do the Niners do now if Smith, Monroe and Oher are gone?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information