This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
    I am more concerned about the lack of passing attempts on the field than I am about the off field drama stuff.

Curious why everyone wants to wait so long to draft a QB? Every year we complain about the QB situation, during the season, and then as soon as the off season begins nobody wants to make an investment into a QB.
    the problem is is that, while we all agree that QB is a large need, there isn't a cant-miss guy to get at 7. Cam Newton has both off the field issues, the fact that he is a run-first guy, and that he doesn't have much big game experience. Jake Locker has the fact that he came back this year and hurt his stock, although his intangibles are very solid. Blaine Gabbert is hurt by the fact that he runs a spread offense that doesn't ask him to make many NFL type reads or anything of the sort. Other than that, the guys who are projected to go in the later rounds are just people that posters like/want to be successful although only have an outside chance of doing so. As someone posted before, out of all the QBs in the playoffs, only 2 or 3 of them weren't drafted in the first round, which at least has to lend some credibility to the fact that its the place to find QBs, at this point its up to Harbaugh to find someone he likes that hopefully he can develop into a franchise quarterback of the future

Comment

• I'm not worried about QB.

In Harbaugh we trust.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
        Even if he didn't have those detriments, does he look like the textbook WCO QB to you? I think not. Who does, if they miss on Locker I'm, thinking Ponder. Worst case, Stanzi or Kaepernick.
        As someone else already asked, Kaepernick does?

First of all, what is a "textbook WCO QB"? Joe Montana? Steve Young? Brett Favre? Donovan McNabb? Michael Vick? Andrew Luck?

As I've said, and as Harbaugh said in his press conference, there are many variations to the WCO. This is not the kind of situation where you say, you must fit this this this this this this this and this in order to be a quarterback in a WCO.

If any of the quarterbacks in this draft show the ability to make the throws at the NFL level, show an understanding of schematics on the white board, and prove they can take drops and deliver the football on time in workouts to the point where Harbaugh believes he can mold them, then they go on the board.

If after all that they have added bonuses of say, being 6'6" 250, and run a 4.5, then I would say he'd be at the top. It's all speculation that Cam could prove these things through the draft process, but to look at him and say, he's not a textbook WCO QB I think is silly because all the quarterbacks listed previously are drastically different but have had success or are experiencing it currently in the WCO.
        Originally posted by Babylon
        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• We all just need to pray that Newton goes back to Auburn lol

Comment

• I dont think we need to worry about them taking Newton, and if they do, Harbaugh probably wanted him.

Comment

• devlin on tape/youtube almost looks like flacco. throws hard & has a tight spiral throw as well. seems to read coverage & make smart plays. something our current qb's have struggled with. personally, if someone really likes him late in the 2nd i am certain he will be taken.

i also like ricky stanzi & tyrod taylor. stanzi looks like he could be a starter & play right away. taylor has a good zip, can throw on the run. won't wow anyone but i think he can play at the next level if coached up.

Comment

• Delvin is going to start slipping. He's not at the Senior Bowl, looked really timid in the FCS championship, and it's slim picking for QBs after the "big 4"

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                  Curious why everyone wants to wait so long to draft a QB? Every year we complain about the QB situation, during the season, and then as soon as the off season begins nobody wants to make an investment into a QB.
                  I have faith in Harbaugh to solve our QB problems. According to Maiocco he correctly evaluated Garrard, Romo, and Harrington as prospects when he was the Raiders QB coach. Having an offensive coach who knows QB's, and can create a system for them to succeed gives us a lot of flexibility on when to draft them. But Harbaugh did say QB is the most important position on the team, and Jed outlined it as a need too. We'll definitely draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, whether its to start right away or sit for a year while we start a veteran like Josh Johnson or Bruce Gradkowski or whoever. I can't see Harbaugh ignoring it.

Comment

• Have no idea about our cap situation but considering the fact that there wasnt a salary cap for this current season, does it even matter? Have to wait and see what happens with the CBA.

As for Asomugha, while he would be an upgrade at CB over Clements, he's going to cost as much or more than the $11m+ that Clements is scheduled to make in each of the next three seasons and while Asomugha is about a year and a half younger than Clements, I just dont see the point in paying that much money to a player that could decline and who we'll just have to replace within a few years. If we were already a playoff team and a shutdown CB away from being a SB contender, then I would go after him but since thats not the case, I wouldnt. I would much rather prefer Richard Marshall who for just $2m more than what Clements is scheduled to make the next three seasons, im getting a CB who's younger, in his prime and stat wise, just as good as Clements if not better. I would rather pay Marshall $35m over five years instead of paying Clements $33m+ over three years or around the same for Asomugha.

Especially since I would go after FS O.J. Atogwe who's expected to be an UFA since its unlikely that the Rams will pick up the $8m option on his contract for 2012. A veteran playmaking FS like Atogwe would be huge since he would be playing next to second year SS Taylor Mays. Also, having extra money could be used on an ILB like David Harris who I would definitely go after if he becomes available plus a potential pass rusher like Lamarr Woodley even though I dont see him leaving PIT either way.

Offensively, the main player im hoping for is Logan Mankins to play RG. He would a huge addition and a huge help for Davis at RT.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• QB wise, I think that we'll draft a QB at 7. I'm hoping for Locker but it depends on who Harbaugh thinks could help us out the most and start week one. Looking at first round QB's that have started day one, you have Flacco, Ryan, Sanchez and Bradford. I'm hoping that whoever we draft at 7 will be starting week one. If he doesnt stay in SEA, I would probably sign Hasselbeck to be the veteran backup and all we would then need is a third stringer which im still holding out hope for Davis. He'll be cheap, we'll save a draft pick and stay what he was - a developmental QB.

Comment

• I really hope you guys dont draft Devlin, i dont think he has any potential to be a starter in this league. I hope to see you guys draft a guy in the 1st and watch Harbaugh groom him up.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                        I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• First of all, what is a "textbook WCO QB"? Joe Montana? Steve Young? Brett Favre? Donovan McNabb? Michael Vick? Andrew Luck?
                          Exactly.

A WCO QB is whoever Harbaugh thinks fits the bill, it's a real eye of the beholder subjective kind of perception. I threw those names out there in that order b/c drafting once per rd. is kind of like throwing darts at a spinning dartboard.

It's got a lot of random & not much precision. Draft technicians like Bellichick manuever & control the draft yr after yr. by loading up on predraft early picks, it's called risk mgmt. I expect the Harbaugh flavor of risk mgmt. to be the rifle shot trumping the shotgun blast, focusing on one guy who's his guy & maneuvering to get him. Clearly a lot of other teams adhere to that philosophy as well & tend to predraft focus on the next franchise QB, this yr it seems to be Locker.

Comment

• http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-capers-h.html

After looking at the defensive rankings, Fangio's defense got WORSE every year except for when he was on the Texans and went from 31st in 2003 to 23rd in 2004 but went back to 31st in 2005.

Looking at those rankings, I would rather stay with Manusky because none of those rankings impress me at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                              http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-capers-h.html

After looking at the defensive rankings, Fangio's defense got WORSE every year except for when he was on the Texans and went from 31st in 2003 to 23rd in 2004 but went back to 31st in 2005.

Looking at those rankings, I would rather stay with Manusky because none of those rankings impress me at all.
                              you've gotta think though, with two of those teams, they were in the first couple years of existence, so its not like they had anybody on defense

Comment

• I'm glad to here that we are taking a QB in round 1 or 2 ! I'm sure we won't have an idea until way late of Feb or first of April right before the draft.I'm going to watch Newton tonight and see how he does in reading plays and the defense etc.Who are you guys top 4 QB ? Mine of course are Locker , Newton , Ponder and Stanzi .The other QB 's I don't really no about until work outs and combine. I think Stanzi and Locker will really rise there stock at the combine game and work outs.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information