This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rainbeaukid2
    you've gotta think though, with two of those teams, they were in the first couple years of existence, so its not like they had anybody on defense
    True but when you think about it, your team whether its offense, defense or both should improve year by year, not get worse. And the expansion Panthers defense was a top ten defense and regardless of the reasons as to why the defenses got worse, the bottom like is that the DC is going to take the blame and the heat. Looking at the rankings, im just worried that he'll make our defense worse than what it already is.

Comment

• http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...fense-for.html

An article about the 4-3 defense. And he's right, whether its the 3-4 or the 4-3, we still need a pass rusher. Only difference is that in the 3-4, the pass rushing OLB has to be good in coverage and whatnot where as in the 4-3 at DE, he doesnt have to be.

I personally prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4 because we dont have the pass rushers at OLB to make it work and even if we franchise Franklin for 2011, we'll still need a NT in 2012 to replace him.

His idea of moving Ahmad Brooks to DE if we run the 4-3 is an interesting idea since he has the size and weight. Who knows? That might be good.

Comment

• Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
        the problem is is that, while we all agree that QB is a large need, there isn't a cant-miss guy to get at 7.
        Do not disagree with the risk factor that is involved with taking a QB but we are talking about the 7th pick not the 1st overall pick. Whoever is there is going to have some thorns but I firmly believe that once the pre- draft evaluations are over the 49ers will have 2 quality QBs to pick from at pick 7.

Nothing to do with QBs but here are the last 5 draft picks at pick 7:
        2010- Joe Haden, CB
        2009- Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR <-------------Super lolz
        2008- Sedrick Ellis, DT
        2007- Adrian Peterson, RB
        2006- Michael Huff, S

Not bad and I am sure the Raiders would probably want to avoid the 7th pick for the next decade.

Comment

• 3-4 Defense -

DE - Smith
          NT - Franklin (UFA)
          DE - Sopoaga
          OLB - Lawson (UFA)
          ILB - Willis
          ILB - Spikes (UFA)
          OLB - Haralson

4-3 Defense -

DE - Smith
          DT - Franklin (UFA)
          DT - Sopoaga
          DE - ???
          OLB - Lawson (UFA)
          MLB - Willis
          OLB - ???

Either way, we're screwed but I still prefer the 4-3 and I think its a lot easier to find players in the Draft that fit the 4-3 than it is to find players that fit the 3-4. Only team that has switched to the 3-4 within the last five years and has had success are the Packers but when you're able to draft a franchise NT (Raji) and a franchise pass rushing OLB (Matthews) along with a new DC in Capers from the start, chances of success increase a lot. For us, thats not the case.

We switched to the 3-4 back in 2005 with Nolan. Carter (like in WSH) didnt fit in and neither did Peterson. Going into the seventh season of running the 3-4 defense, we still dont have a pass rushing OLB and while we have Franklin to play NT, he's an UFA and will be 31 in August. I would love to franchise Franklin and trade him to WSH for Haynesworth who's a year younger, would cost less for two years and fit in perfectly with the 4-3 base defense. WSH would get their NT for a few years while they build that up while we not only get a dominant DT for pretty cheap but also can avoid looking for a pass rushing OLB which hasnt happened thus far in six years.

While we would need another 4-3 DE, I wouldnt mind seeing Brooks at DE next to Haynesworth who would most likely be double teamed a lot and would allow Brooks to be one on one with the RT. Could re-sign Lawson to stay at OLB in the 4-3 and with his good run and pass coverage skills might be even better and best of all, his lack of pass rushing skills would be hidden.

Thoughts?

Comment

• i'd like sf to trade down & fill in those spots. get rid of contracts such as clements & if goldson demands too much send his *** packing as well. sf needs a pass rusher, free safety, and a legit corner either trhough free agency or draft.

i hope they do manuever around like the pats do & take quality players who can contribute right away. not take " our guys " ala sing style with the davis pick or mays.

Comment

• I understand hes a good all around OLB now, but Manny Lawson was one helluva DE in the 4-3 in college, he was a 1st rounder because of the pass rusher he was. Why wouldnt he move back to end? Or has he just become that good at all of the other parts in his game?

Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

• I'm still not impressed with Newton as a first rounder for us .I don't like the idea of trading picks down . We need to stay in the top 10 area and just get a QB then .

Comment

• What would you guys think of taking Newton in the 2nd round and possibly using him as a TE/FB/gadget type of player. You know Harbaugh loves TEs and FBs.

Comment

• Newton won't play any other position just like Tebow won't either.He will play QB .Devine will be in the east and west shrine game Brent so you can enjoy his play then. Also Newton won't drop to the second round.Some one will end taking inside the top 10 .I'm hoping not SF we can't take a chance on a project QB.Locker , Stanzi or Dalton and Mallet would be a much better fit IMO.I wasn't too impressed with Newtons passing tonight.He had all day to throw and still missed a few guys that where wide open down field balls.On a side note , if Nick Fairley fell to us I would take him ,but after tonight bashing ( beat mode ) he put he doesn't leave the top 3 sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
                      I understand hes a good all around OLB now, but Manny Lawson was one helluva DE in the 4-3 in college, he was a 1st rounder because of the pass rusher he was. Why wouldnt he move back to end? Or has he just become that good at all of the other parts in his game?
                      Yeah he is he has showed nothing in pass rushing since coming to the niners.
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                        What would you guys think of taking Newton in the 2nd round and possibly using him as a TE/FB/gadget type of player. You know Harbaugh loves TEs and FBs.
                        Won't be there in round 2 his body of work this season puts him in round 1. People keep looking past the fact that this is his first year as a division 1 starter. I still like the idea of nabbing a Josh Johnson or Matt Flynn for a later round pick and using them as a stop gap so Newton can develop but no idea what way Harbaugh will lean towards.

Kawakami had this write up with a tidbit:
                        http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...-might-fit-it/
                        During his talks last week with the 49ers, according to an NFL source, Harbaugh was very clear that he felt he could find a QB in the draft, and possibly wouldn’t even need to use the No. 7 overall pick to do it.
                        Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?; 01-11-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
                          i haven't heard/seen much of Devlin, but what I have heard is that people are just pegging him to hopefully be the next Joe Flacco, although he is nowhere near the prospect that Flacco was. I'll be interested to see how his offseason workouts and such go to see whether he shoots up draft boards as Flacco did. Otherwise, I feel like he may just be a small school kid not ready for the big time, let alone to lead a franchise
                          Watching clips first impression I got was Tony Romo with his style of release and size.

Comment

• There's no way that Cam Newton is ready to step in and be a starter in the NFL right now. He's going to need polish and training in a pro offense. That being said, I still like him as a prospect. He's probably not top 10 good, more like Josh Freeman as a pro prospect, but the talent is definitely there. He missed some throws tonight but he was also slinging rockets all over the field. Plus he's obviously nearly the perfect quarterback from a physical standpoint.

He also looked really injured by the end of the game, wonder if he has anything wrong with him.

That being said, I don't really think he's a Harbaugh type of player and I'd be surprised if we drafted him.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
                              Won't be there in round 2 his body of work this season puts him in round 1. People keep looking past the fact that this is his first year as a division 1 starter. I still like the idea of nabbing a Josh Johnson or Matt Flynn for a later round pick and using them as a stop gap so Newton can develop but no idea what way Harbaugh will lean towards.

Kawakami had this write up with a tidbit:
                              http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakam...-might-fit-it/
                              What do you mean "stopgap so Newton can develop"? Are you saying we should take him at #7????????!!! If so, GTFO, that ish is laughable. MAYBE we take him if he falls to the 2nd round.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                                What do you mean "stopgap so Newton can develop"? Are you saying we should take him at #7????????!!! If so, GTFO, that ish is laughable. MAYBE we take him if he falls to the 2nd round.
                                Laugh all you want in your Reggie Smith jersey but Vince Young went #3, Mark Sanchez #5, and a team gutted a draft for Tim Tebow in the past 5 years. The first two only had one real college season under their belts before they declared. It is easy to get caught up in the knee jerk reaction after this game but as Arsenal clearly said the talent is there and once Cam gets into workouts it will be tough for teams to pass on him.

Of course I did not say flat out draft Cam at 7 but this team is not as close to contending as we believe and if Harbaugh feels Cam is the BPA at that spot I would give up a year to let him develop. Long term health of this franchise is more important than short term gains trying to develop guys who fell to round 2, for a reason, or running retrends out there as our starter and hope for a one and done playoff appearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information