This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
    Didn't Nate Davis go away? Still have Troy Smith at #2 QB. David Carr too maybe?? Any way look at it it's time for Alex Smith to gtfo of SF, good riddance.
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that at this point the only QB on the roster for next year is Carr

Comment

• Didn't Nate Davis go away? Still have Troy Smith at #2 QB. David Carr too maybe?? Any way look at it it's time for Alex Smith to gtfo of SF, good riddance.
      So you would be comfortable heading into the season with Troy Smith and Carr as our #2? I agree that we need a new starting QB, no matter what, and a backup, providing Alex Smith isn't resigned, but the a backup would not be in my top 5 needs when this team has so many other holes.
      Last edited by abaddon41_80; 01-17-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
        Please god no to Christian Ponder
        What makes you say that?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• David Carr is the only guy under contract as of right now and he will likely be the #3 next year unless the offseason is a fail because of the CBA issues. Many believe Troy Smith might be re-signed as the #2. I would love for them to Draft two guys to develop, (double up our chances with Harbaugh's kind of guys) assuming they are on the board when the Niners pick.

With 10 picks, I'm confident that they will be able to get good depth and hopefully a starting QB, CB, and edge rusher. (Maybe a FS too)

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
            What makes you say that?
            I just have a hard time seeing guys that are not dominate in college, that don't have your ideal attributes translate to franchise QB's in the NFL.
            Originally posted by 49erNation85
            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
              I just have a hard time seeing guys that are not dominate in college, that don't have your ideal attributes translate to franchise QB's in the NFL.
              He's got the size (he's a legit 6'3" according to Scott), he's really accurate, and he's a rather high football IQ guy, but the only big knocks on him are that he has been injured a few times and he doesn't have a cannon arm.

I may be in the minority, but I like the guy for the WCO. Ponder or Stanzi are both guys I am high on, as far as a malleable QBs who would fit a WCO well.

Regardless, I have the utmost faith in Harbaugh to find "his guy".

Comment

He's got the size (he's a legit 6'3" according to Scott), he's really accurate, and he's a rather high football IQ guy, but the only big knocks on him are that he has been injured a few times and he doesn't have a cannon arm.

I may be in the minority, but I like the guy for the WCO. Ponder or Stanzi are both guys I am high on, as far as a malleable QBs who would fit a WCO well.

Regardless, I have the utmost faith in Harbaugh to find "his guy".
                Eh I guess i'm just not a Ponder guy I would rather have Stanzi between the two. Like you said though I trust what Harbaugh is going to do is the right thing. If he has faith in him and drafts him then I will most likely believe in him.
                Originally posted by 49erNation85
                I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• From Maiocco's blog entry today:

General manager Trent Baalke contractually has the final say on 49ers draft matters. But Baalke will likely defer to Harbaugh when he comes to selecting a quarterback.

"Athletic instincts, accuracy, timing, decision making, leadership, intelligence" are the characteristics Harbaugh said he would seek from his quarterback.

The 6 Senior Bowl QBs will be the first to be evaluated up-close, including Ponder, Stanzi and Locker.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                    The 6 Senior Bowl QBs will be the first to be evaluated up-close, including Ponder, Stanzi and Locker.
                    I wouldn't be shocked if those three are pretty high on the Harbaugh list.

If I were going to take a guess on the rankings currently:

Locker
                    Gabbert
                    Ponder
                    Stanzi
                    Dalton
                    Devlin

However, I am not convinced they take a first round QB. I'm thinking it comes down to those last 4.

Comment

I wouldn't be shocked if those three are pretty high on the Harbaugh list.

If I were going to take a guess on the rankings currently:

Locker
                      Gabbert
                      Ponder
                      Stanzi
                      Dalton
                      Devlin

However, I am not convinced they take a first round QB. I'm thinking it comes down to those last 4.
                      I kind of get the feeling Harbaugh is going to get a mid-round prospect too. Hopefully Amukamara, Quinn, or Dareus in the first.

Comment

• Yeah, I think he'll get a QB in Rounds 2-4. Hopefully one of the top 2 CBs fall to the Niners at 7.

Comment

• I spent the other night looking at clips of the top QBs on YouTube, and the guy I ended up liking the most is Pat Devlin. He just looks the most composed, and he has a good arm.

I was a big Locker fan, watching him all 4 years in the PAC 10, and I just think he reminds me too much of Alex Smith.

With Gabbert, every pass is from shotgun with a 1 step drop and he just throws it to his first read. If that guy is not open, he scrambles and doesn't know what to do.

Also, I am a big proponent of trading for Josh Johnson

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
                            I spent the other night looking at clips of the top QBs on YouTube, and the guy I ended up liking the most is Pat Devlin. He just looks the most composed, and he has a good arm.

I was a big Locker fan, watching him all 4 years in the PAC 10, and I just think he reminds me too much of Alex Smith.

With Gabbert, every pass is from shotgun with a 1 step drop and he just throws it to his first read. If that guy is not open, he scrambles and doesn't know what to do.

Also, I am a big proponent of trading for Josh Johnson
                            if you get ESPN3, watch that D-1AA championship that Devlin was in. he wasnt that great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
                              If a WR is drafted in the mid to late rounds, I'd much rather see a large WR that can be a red zone threat for jump balls. We have VD (Yes, I said it), but Crabs and Morgan are not huge dudes. A tall threat would help balance the WRs IMO.
                              Plaxico Burress is a free agent for next year. I'm like 90% sure he is just going to resign with the Giants but throwing it out there since he's a notable tall receiver.

If someone falls to us in the mid rounds, I would like a receiver but it's not the biggest concern and is probably better off addressed by a veteran free agent.

Comment

• Maybe Plax will come back and go all Vick on the NFL and just blow up. He may be an option to sign to an incentive-based deal to fill that role I mentioned.

The Giants don't need him as they have Plax II in Hakeem Nicks.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information