This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
    I spent the other night looking at clips of the top QBs on YouTube, and the guy I ended up liking the most is Pat Devlin. He just looks the most composed, and he has a good arm.

I was a big Locker fan, watching him all 4 years in the PAC 10, and I just think he reminds me too much of Alex Smith.

With Gabbert, every pass is from shotgun with a 1 step drop and he just throws it to his first read. If that guy is not open, he scrambles and doesn't know what to do.

Also, I am a big proponent of trading for Josh Johnson
    Same I'm starting to get on the Pat Devlin bandwagon as well. Seems to hit on a lot of the things Harbaugh looks for it. Looking forward to seeing him play in the Shrine game.

It could be because he has the same number but watching bits and pieces of Gabbert he reminds me more of Alex Smith than Locker.

Comment

• I guess the fact that Pat Devlin didn't take a single snap from center doesn't worry you guys as to how he fits into a WCO system.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
        I guess the fact that Pat Devlin didn't take a single snap from center doesn't worry you guys as to how he fits into a WCO system.
        That is fixable. Reading defenses and instincts are not.

A lot of people overrate the under-center aspect of playing QB. I just keep looking at Sam Bradford and what he has done this year. He has debunked all the myths about the translation of the spread to the NFL.

Besides, if you really want to see a QB who doesn't take any snaps from under center AND a product of the system, just look at some Blaine Gabbert clips. I honestly don't know why this guy has so much love for him. Yeah, he does throw a beautiful ball, but that is it. Hasn't everyone learned their lesson with guys like Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell???

Comment

That is fixable. Reading defenses and instincts are not.

A lot of people overrate the under-center aspect of playing QB. I just keep looking at Sam Bradford and what he has done this year. He has debunked all the myths about the translation of the spread to the NFL.
          It's not always fixable. See: Smith, Alex

He was much better in the shotgun (where he had all his success in college) and routinely didn't recognize coverages and blitzes as well when under center, nor did he get the ball out of his hands as quick. It was one of the main things that held him back from being a better (Top 15) NFL QB.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
          Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
            David Carr is the only guy under contract as of right now and he will likely be the #3 next year unless the offseason is a fail because of the CBA issues. Many believe Troy Smith might be re-signed as the #2. I would love for them to Draft two guys to develop, (double up our chances with Harbaugh's kind of guys) assuming they are on the board when the Niners pick.

With 10 picks, I'm confident that they will be able to get good depth and hopefully a starting QB, CB, and edge rusher. (Maybe a FS too)
            But what if whatever rookie we draft is not ready to start right away? Do we go with Troy Smith or David Carr?

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
              But what if whatever rookie we draft is not ready to start right away? Do we go with Troy Smith or David Carr?
              Is that a serious question? It has to be Troy Carr is horrendous I am praying he gets cut.
              Originally posted by 49erNation85
              I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• What is your Top 5 list for your first round pick?

Comment

Well, the CBA issues are likely going to make it difficult to get a veteran stop-gap that will have an offseason to learn with Harbaugh, whereas Carr and Smith (if he is re-signed in the coming weeks) would at least have some more time to learn with him. I said this in the other thread already but I'd like them to draft 2 rookie QBs (assuming they are Harbaugh hand-picked guys who are available when the Niners pick), giving Harbaugh two chances to strike gold on the QBOTF.

Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

Comment

• I for god we don't jump on Gabbert . Its either a CB or QB in the first .My top 2 two QB 's are either Locker or Mallet. CB its who is on the leader boards here on the site. If no QB in the first i think we go after Stanzi or Dalton in later rounds .Only real guys I see us going unless they see other guys high potential.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                      What is your Top 5 list for your first round pick?
                      I'd say

1) Patrick Peterson
                      2A) Prince Amukamara
                      2B) Robert Quinn
                      3) Marcell Dareus
                      4) Whoever is preferred at quarterback

I just get the feeling we are going to wait to take a quarterback for some reason. Peterson is the dream pick, but Amukamara, Quinn, and Dareus are really solid options too. I think you could very strongly argue any of the quarterbacks too, just depends on where we're going to take one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                        Is that a serious question? It has to be Troy Carr is horrendous I am praying he gets cut.
                        Troy is horrendous as well, almost as bad as Carr imo. I want Carr cut and I don't want to see Troy re-signed. My ideal situation would be to draft a QB in round 1/2 and acquire a veteran QB to start until said rookie is ready to go. Orton would be my first choice to be the veteran because I think we could get him relatively cheap and I think he is the best QB on the market.

Comment

Troy is horrendous as well, almost as bad as Carr imo. I want Carr cut and I don't want to see Troy re-signed. My ideal situation would be to draft a QB in round 1/2 and acquire a veteran QB to start until said rookie is ready to go. Orton would be my first choice to be the veteran because I think we could get him relatively cheap and I think he is the best QB on the market.
                          Orton will reportedly by a cheaper trade option than Kolb, as it's been rumored a 3rd Round pick could land him. While that's not completely unreasonable for Orton, I'd rather spend a pick that high on a possible rookie QB opposed to a stop-gap QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                            I for god we don't jump on Gabbert . Its either a CB or QB in the first .My top 2 two QB 's are either Locker or Mallet. CB its who is on the leader boards here on the site. If no QB in the first i think we go after Stanzi or Dalton in later rounds .Only real guys I see us going unless they see other guys high potential.
                            I'll tell you why I doubt it's Locker. ... WCO is all about accuracy and Locker didn't show that on film.

Comment

I spent the other night looking at clips of the top QBs on YouTube, and the guy I ended up liking the most is Pat Devlin. He just looks the most composed, and he has a good arm.

I was a big Locker fan, watching him all 4 years in the PAC 10, and I just think he reminds me too much of Alex Smith.

With Gabbert, every pass is from shotgun with a 1 step drop and he just throws it to his first read. If that guy is not open, he scrambles and doesn't know what to do.

Also, I am a big proponent of trading for Josh Johnson
                              Go on....

Buc fans have been talking about this non stop ever since Harbaugh was named HC.

Is this realistic?

If so, what you SF give up? (Swap 2nd round picks and give us a 4th?)

"I don't do Pro Days, we send our scouts to those. I would rather spend my time watching film. The eye in the sky never lies. Functional Strength and athletic ability are the first things we look for in a college prospect." - Mark Dominik, Buccaneers GM

Comment

• We can't send Troy out there as a starter again.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information