This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 49erfaithful View Post
    Now that Sanchez is pro, i hope we dont take him. I like him as a prospect, but our needs at OT and S are much more
    if sf moves out of the 10 spot, Sanchez would be a good pick towards late in the 1st. maybe swing a deal w/ Philly for both thier 1st's.

Comment

• Originally posted by chapo123 View Post
      if sf moves out of the 10 spot, Sanchez would be a good pick towards late in the 1st. maybe swing a deal w/ Philly for both thier 1st's.
      I doubt we get two firsts for the 10th pick.

I agree, our biggest needs are RT and FS, however, we were 7-9 and are far from a 2 player fix, as we all know.

I would think we take the biggest impact player who has a shot to start. And I'm a big believer that the game is one with your front 6 (o-line and qb) on offense and your front 7 on defense.

So in that instance I go the best front 7 defensive player (or possibly Jenkins) with the first pick and then look to shore up either RT/S with the round 2 pick and a possible FA pickup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
        You mean:
        4. E. Monroe right?

If so, I agree with those five, but I'd rank 'em Smith, Monroe, Orakpo, Oher, Jenkins with Crabtree sixth. Of course, this also leaves out Stafford as I don't see us moving into the top 3. I'd be happy with any of those guys. Hell, I'd like Curry as well. I think we're in great shape to land a nice playmaker.
        No I ment Oher, I don't think Monroe is a very good fit at Rt.

Originally posted by NinersfaninCanada View Post
        I doubt we get two firsts for the 10th pick.

I agree, our biggest needs are RT and FS, however, we were 7-9 and are far from a 2 player fix, as we all know.

I would think we take the biggest impact player who has a shot to start. And I'm a big believer that the game is one with your front 6 (o-line and qb) on offense and your front 7 on defense.

So in that instance I go the best front 7 defensive player (or possibly Jenkins) with the first pick and then look to shore up either RT/S with the round 2 pick and a possible FA pickup.
        We really are not as far away as you think. I don't like the Raji pick, because we drafted Balmer for that this year.
        Originally posted by 49erNation85
        I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• We really are not as far away as you think. I don't like the Raji pick, because we drafted Balmer for that this year.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the way they finished the year I feel they really just need a few more positions filled. But correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Balmer project as a 3-4 DE not a NT? His size says he should be able to play NT but I remember maybe draft guys saying they didnt think he could play NT. I'm not sure now. I hope he can so I dont feel they wasted the pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
            No I ment Oher, I don't think Monroe is a very good fit at Rt.

We really are not as far away as you think. I don't like the Raji pick, because we drafted Balmer for that this year.
            I think the line of the future is Smith at RE, Balmer at LE (Balmer was a Bryant Young future replacement (bit of a panic pick, especially when i was screaming Kenny Phillips at the TV, not sure how you pass on a Miami safety at the end of Round 1) Sopoaga/Franklin at NT. However, from what I saw this year the Sop/Frank duo did a fine job of holding the point of attack but there wasn't alot of penetration....

If you look at nearly any successful 3-4 defense they all have a top NT

Pitt - Hampton
            Bal - Ngata, Gregg etc.
            NE - Wolfork (past success)
            SD - J Williams

Unless we plan on playing a 4-3 we are going to have to go out a get a 320 lb explosive type NT. We passed on guys like Jenkins, Stroud, Ferguson last year when they could have been signed or acquired relatively cheap considering what they bring to the table. So we have to get one via the draft, IMO.

As for being not that far away. I think there is a lot of hope, but still, these are very close games that we won and it was exciting to see that but we still haven't proven we can beat big time teams when we need to. The best teams we beat were the flailing Jets, Bills and Redskins. We didn't beat a single playoff team in 5 chances.

Comment

• I just thought the initial plan was to bulk up Balmer to play NT. I think Balmer will be best at 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                I just thought the initial plan was to bulk up Balmer to play NT. I think Balmer will be best at 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle though.
                I guess I could have seen that plan on draft day, but I originally thought he was BY's replacement. After seeing him play, sparingly, this year, I'm pretty sure he's a 3-4 end. Unless we got to 4-3 under Sing, then maybe he could play DT. Either way I like Raji or E Brown as a 3-4 OLB, since it's clear Manny and/or Parys need some help getting to the QB.

Comment

• I don't see Balmer as a 3-4 DE and I don't see him as a 3-4 NT either. I see him as a 3-4 bench player. He looked fairly terrible last year. I know the rhetoric is "he's a project". Well, that was a stupid pick then, because I don't think he even has much of a ceiling as a project.

Counting on him as a starter would be foolish. If they want to work him in as a platoon player, then I'm OK with that since he'd have time to improve. But if we're counting on him to produce as a starter, then we're going to end up pretty disappointed.

Build our lines some more and eventually we'll be consistent playoff contenders.
                  The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
                    I don't see Balmer as a 3-4 DE and I don't see him as a 3-4 NT either. I see him as a 3-4 bench player. He looked fairly terrible last year. I know the rhetoric is "he's a project". Well, that was a stupid pick then, because I don't think he even has much of a ceiling as a project.

Counting on him as a starter would be foolish. If they want to work him in as a platoon player, then I'm OK with that since he'd have time to improve. But if we're counting on him to produce as a starter, then we're going to end up pretty disappointed.

Build our lines some more and eventually we'll be consistent playoff contenders.
                    Im not ready to write Balmer off yet. D-lineman do need time. Look at Fat Albert and Bunkley. Im willing to give the benifit of the doubt since he had to learn a new scheme.

Comment

• He was a risky pick I hope Singletary can get something out of him. As long has he contributes to the D-line rotation I am happy.

Comment

• I hope Balmer pans out as well. He has the potential to be a Albert Haynesworth type.

Comment

• All I'll say in response to the Maclin negativity is this: if we don't draft him, we're going to wish we had a playmaker like him for years to come. Building in the trenches is well and good, you don't have to convince me that that's where the foundation of strong teams are built. But thats been the team's main project for the past 2-3 years in the draft (Staley, Balmer, Rachal, McDonald)... at this point, I think the OL is a RT away from being dominant, and because we're so close there, I'd rather get a veteran who can step in right away. Defensive line is fine. Pass rush could use help, but outside of Orakpo I don't see anyone out there right now who I would feel confident in spending a no. 10 overall pick on. But you know the position we really haven't addressed long term? WR. I think it's time to bring in the true No. 1 guy we've been looking for for so long. Crabtree would probably be my first choice there, but Maclin is going to be an absolute star in this league, wait and see.

Comment

• Originally posted by stl9erfan View Post
                            All I'll say in response to the Maclin negativity is this: if we don't draft him, we're going to wish we had a playmaker like him for years to come. Building in the trenches is well and good, you don't have to convince me that that's where the foundation of strong teams are built. But thats been the team's main project for the past 2-3 years in the draft (Staley, Balmer, Rachal, McDonald)... at this point, I think the OL is a RT away from being dominant, and because we're so close there, I'd rather get a veteran who can step in right away. Defensive line is fine. Pass rush could use help, but outside of Orakpo I don't see anyone out there right now who I would feel confident in spending a no. 10 overall pick on. But you know the position we really haven't addressed long term? WR. I think it's time to bring in the true No. 1 guy we've been looking for for so long. Crabtree would probably be my first choice there, but Maclin is going to be an absolute star in this league, wait and see.
                            I see where your coming from, I felt that way about Desaun Jackson last year. A playmaking WR would help. But if you were to rank the needs I would put it behind a FS, OT, pass rushing OLB and NT. Plus the fact that WRs are risky and usually take a few years to develop. Its just not worth the roll of the dice with that pick.

Comment

• Since we cant get Mays, is anyone considering William Moore?

I think the niners should look real hard at Maclin and determine whether he has the stuff to be a Marvin Harrison or Tory Holt (who have similar dimensions) type player. If he does then we should take him. However, Oher trumps everyone
                              CRANK THAT CRABTREE!!

Comment

• Round 1 CB Vonte Davis
                                Round 2 OLB Clint Sintim
                                Die hard 49ers fan for over 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information