This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
    Good point Dan.But do you think with a new location and new coaching VY could rebuild his career and pull it back together?It's always a possibility.
    It's definitely a possibility but im hoping that if he does get that chance, it wont be in SF because if he was to have another mental breakdown, it could screw us over short and long term.

Comment

• According to PFT, it appears that Steelers DC Dick LeBeau's contract expire after the Steelers season ends. While I think that he'll stay in PIT, am I the only one who kind of hoped that Harbaugh would have waited before hiring Fangio to be the DC?

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
        am I the only one who kind of hoped that Harbaugh would have waited before hiring Fangio to be the DC?
        Yes, yes you are.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

According to PFT, it appears that Steelers DC Dick LeBeau's contract expire after the Steelers season ends. While I think that he'll stay in PIT, am I the only one who kind of hoped that Harbaugh would have waited before hiring Fangio to be the DC?
          You think LeBeau would magically decide to come to San Francisco for no reason? Put down the controller Dan.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
          -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
          Originally posted by Borat
          Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
            We can not give up this:

One of my favorite sites on my drive to AT&T park.

I firmly believe Harbaugh can bring out the potential of the San Mateo bridge.
            Nice pic btw WWBJD.

Off topic but since when did the *** agenda co-opt the rainbow symbol?

It's been around since the late 60s hippie days, it's supposed to represent diversity, not homosexuals. Yeah I know, dead horse beaten once more.... but if you live int he Bay Area you get pretty ******* sick of the *** agenda in your face 24/7

Comment

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
              Good point Dan.But do you think with a new location and new coaching VY could rebuild his career and pull it back together?It's always a possibility.
              I think in Arizona or Minnesota would give him the best chance to do that. Would give him a great supporting cast and take the pressure off of him. His big problem is that he is not accountable for his actions. There were numerous reports that he would skip treatments and wasn't fully invested in learning the playbook. He reminds me of DeMarcus Cousins in the NBA. All the talent in the world but with the mental stability of a ten year old.

Comment

• Long time, no post, but it's draft season again, and I'm back with a (very preliminary) Niners mock, with some comments. I'll admit I'm still learning about a lot of prospects so try to look at this as a rough sketch of needs and possible ways of addressing them.

1. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska-- Unless Harbaugh really falls in love with Gabbert or Newton, I think the team will look CB. I think it's fairly certain that Peterson goes off the board in the top-5, but the Niners should be very excited to get their hands on Amukamara here.

2. Mark Herzlich, OLB, Boston College-- Boom or bust type pick. The kind of gritty, aggressive player Harbaugh loves and his presence coming off the edge could be just what the defense needs. But can he stay healthy and will he be athletic/fluid enough to make the transition to the next level?

3. Curtis Brown, CB, Texas-- I think the Niners are going to place a big emphasis on rebuilding the secondary this year. Brown and Amukamara could be the starters for years to come.

4a. Andy Dalton, QB, TCU-- Yes, I have the Niners waiting 4 rounds to take a QB. It should be noted that this would be an extra-ballsy move this year, given that the team won't be able to address the position through FA or trade prior to the draft due to the league's CBA woes. That said, outside of Gabbert and Newton, I just don't see anyone that intriguing until the mid-rounds, when guys like Kaepernick and Dalton start start to enter the picture. (I really debated whether to go with Kaepernick or Dalton here-- indeed, Kaepernick was the pick here for a while. But ultimately, while I love Kaepernick's athleticism I like Dalton's accuracy and touch better and just think that ultimately he'll be the better pro-style QB).

4b. Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford-- One of Harbaugh's favorite human beings ever, basically. And if we're going to run a WCO with an added emphasis on the power run game, then the FB position gains some added importance-- you're going to want a guy who can pave the way for the inside run but also won't be a waste in the passing game. Marecic absolutely fits the bill there.

5. Casey Matthews, LB, Oregon-- If Spikes and Lawson aren't brought back, the LB corps starts to look a bit thin-- the team would basically be relying on guys like Navorro Bowman and Scott McKillop to take big steps forward. Matthews gives the team another option there and I don't want to bet against those bloodlines.

6a. Sione Fua, DL, Stanford-- A tough, straight ahead, do the dirty work type of DL who should be a natural fit in a 3-4. Should provide valuable depth right off the bat and be a potential starter going forward as he develops and refines his technique.

6b. Zach Hurd, OG, Connecticut-- Young OL depth is something a team can always use.

7a. Kai Forbath, K, UCLA-- Nedney has been terrific, but he's getting up there in years. It certainly wouldn't shock me if the team decided it was time to get a young kicker who could be around for years to come, and Forbath would be a tremendously accurate option.

7b. Aldrick Robinson, WR, SMU-- Think of this as a BPA slot-- Robinson, though, would have the speed to help stretch the defense and open up underneath routes for the other guys.
                Last edited by stl9erfan; 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM. Reason: Changed fourth round pick from Kaepernick to Dalton.

Comment

According to PFT, it appears that Steelers DC Dick LeBeau's contract expire after the Steelers season ends. While I think that he'll stay in PIT, am I the only one who kind of hoped that Harbaugh would have waited before hiring Fangio to be the DC?
                  Yeah totally alone.
                  Originally posted by 49erNation85
                  I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• stl9erfan, Welcome back to the boards for draft season!
                    I do like some of your draft picks here and some confuse .Lets start in round one, I don't think we can afford to let go of a QB .Also why do you think Gabbert or Newton is above Locker ? I think your crazy there.Locker should be able to work his way into the top ten pick after his senior bowl week here starting Monday. I really just think Harbaugh will really look into Locker or Dalton and Stazni for later rounds.I do think Dalton has a chance depends on how all these seniors do next week. Again depends on BPA for round at number 7 .
                    Lets move on to round. I like the OLB pick and the kid from Boston College.He seems like a really tough player.I just don't know much about the kid coming out of Boston College . Same goes for round 3 , but always need depth there.I think with out extra two picks here to go either at WR or defense not a FB even though Norris does suck and we need some one better but maybe. Th rest of the picks I seem to like as most of them shown good solid depth on there teams ECT . It will still be tough to know how exactly SF decides to draft. I just think we go QB round depending on if a good CB is there or not .

Comment

• I understand that you really like Locker, but frankly I don't. I just radically disagree on him. To me, he's clearly a great athlete, but I don't think that means he's a great QB. He never once posted a completion percentage of 60% in college and last year it was just 55%. Moreover, when Locker faced off against Harbaugh's Stanford team, the result was a 7-14 outing with 2 INT and 0 TD. I just think that even if Locker really performed well at the Senior Bowl (and let's not get ahead of ourselves and assume he's going to do that), Harbaugh has already seen him up close and may not like what he's seen.

Comment

• stl9erfan,
                        Good points , I hope he does well too and will be disappointed if he doesn't then I won't even worry about drafting him.I wouldn't mind Dalton either he too came out of the spread offense but that can be over come too , but do we need to really wait until the 4th round to take him or possible Stanzi ? I do also have agree that Harbaugh will choose the right QB of the future in SF no doubt and if he doesn't like Locker he doesn't .I just wish we could get some in site. I just wish we didn't have wait until April grr.

Comment

My pick of McNabb may be bad but not as bad as wanting Vince Young. LOL.
                          Bruce Allen claims McNabb is staying. He won't hit the market before the draft.

Everything depends on the labor negotiations. I think there is a good chance the FA process doesn't start until after the draft. It will be interesting to see what effect that has on who is available.

Based on the fact that this year's QB class isn't really filled with prospects who can start from day 1, I don't expect to see a lot of great QB FA's.

What do people think of Seneca Wallace?

I know he isn't an amazing option, but he has been very accurate in his career and is pretty well versed in A form of the WCO.

Maybe sign Wallace and another cheaper vet (Pennington?) and then draft Dalton, Stanzi or Enderle (or whoever Harbaugh wants lol) in the middle rounds.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Posted on ESPN Rumors Section regarding Alex Smith market:

Following the end of the San Francisco 49ers' season, it appeared that quarterback Alex Smith would not be returning. The two sides had given it a few chances, with a few different offensive coordinators, and it never seemed to click for the former No. 1 overall pick in San Fran.

However, the hire of Jim Harbaugh, and the offensive system he's bringing to the organization, may actually make Smith a good fit.

In recent remarks to the 49ers' beat writers, Harbaugh indicated that he's open to having Smith back on the roster. "I'm not into absolutes and 'alwayses' and 'nevers' -- those kind of bold statements," the coach said. "My part is an evaluation. And that will be of Alex and our football team."

Later, Harbaugh described his recent meeting with Smith as "positive," and mentioned that Smith "strikes me as someone that's open." From this vantage point, it appears to be a case of the player wanting to come back as much as it's the team wanting him back. Smith has had a checkered history in a 49ers uniform, and he may want a completely fresh start, even if Harbaugh's system is a fit for his abilities. If Smith decides to venture elsewhere, he'll certainly have no shortage of teams to market his skills to, though he probably won't be handed a starting gig right off the bat given the inconsistency he's displayed in his career.
                            Last edited by Madirishman; 01-24-2011, 08:08 AM.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                            Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• if that is from ESPN Insider, you're technically not supposed to post it word-for-word.

regardless, that's a worthless piece, it's merely stating what could be surmised form reading all the stuff that we read all the time from the people that cover the team haha.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                                if that is from ESPN Insider, you're technically not supposed to post it word-for-word.

regardless, that's a worthless piece, it's merely stating what could be surmised form reading all the stuff that we read all the time from the people that cover the team haha.
                                All better now. Yes, it's not breaking news as we have better "insider" sources but I do believe that with all these reports from their meeting, that Harbaugh is definitely leaving the door open for bringing back Alex.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information