This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
    Agreed. Dude is the biggest a**hole in the bay area. Complete Warrior and Notre Dame homer, but very douchebaged towards the rest of bay area sports teams. You can't disagree with him when you call in, he'll just shout you down and act tough guy.
    Pretty much. The way he acts to callers is embarrassing, even when they are dumb he's so rude and obnoxious. During Warrior games all I hear is excuses from the guy "OMG the Hornets are just having a great night shooting, it's one of those nights!" It's ALWAYS one of those nights vs. the Warriors you dummy, it's because they can't play D and have a crappy head coach!

Comment

• I am not very high on any of the first round QB's this year.Looking at some of the other talent in this draft like AJ Green,Patrick Peterson,Robert Quinn,Prince Amukamara,Marcell Dareus, or even Cameron Jordan.I would hate to see the 49ers pass on talent like this for a QB.There is no QB this year that screams "Franchise Signal Caller".Grab a vet and coach up a guy like Ponder,Stanzi,Dalton etc.

Comment

• http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/...-a-winning-qb/
        “So excited, yeah, I’m going to say it, I’ve been studying Alex Smith and watching him and I believe that Alex Smith can be a winning quarterback in the National Football League,” Harbaugh said. “I’m excited to work with him, get to know him.”

What are some of the qualities Harbaugh saw in Smith?

“Very accurate passer,” he said. “Very athletic. And a guy that has played and been durable.”
        wait. what?!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
          I thought this too.I think Harbaugh realizes that he needs a stop gap and Alex is the one guy he can actively talk with.Palmer,McNabb are both under contract and FA would not start till march 15th(if there was a CBA).

Comment

It's obvious that Alex is the best FA option out there, better than Mcnabb or VY. It all depends on what trade possibilities come up for guys like Palmer, Kolb, and Orton. I find it funny how everyone is overreacting to what Harbaugh said, he's just being supportive and classy at this point.

As for the draft, I want Ponder in the 2nd round. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he has nice feet and he's pretty accurate. If we can land Ponder in the 2nd I'll be ok with whoever we get in FA or trade, whether we keep Alex or go for Orton/Palmer.

Comment

• Well this is gonna be another year of bad QB's .I just don't see us winning games I dunno .After watching the senior bowl the only QB to really stand out in the game was Ponder on the south team.He would fit great in our system with his decision making and accuracy .You don't really need powerful arm strength like some people make thing just get the ball to the WR .He also looked pretty mobile as well.Von Miller also stood out on Defense too.It will be interesting come April.Can't wait for the draft.

Comment

Just good PR talk. Wouldn't put much stock into it. I mean what is he supposed to say?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                Originally posted by Borat
                Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                  Just good PR talk. Wouldn't put much stock into it. I mean what is he supposed to say?
                  basically. 9er fans are so dense and reactionary that they are obsessing over this quote like it came from God himself. Have you checked other boards about this quote? Freaking comedy gold.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
                    basically. 9er fans are so dense and reactionary that they are obsessing over this quote like it came from God himself. Have you checked other boards about this quote? Freaking comedy gold.
                    my reaction was more a joke about the accuracy part.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

I hate to sound like a broken record but Alex is likely going to be the best option we have this year if we want to win now. I think that Harbaugh realizes that.

Comment

my reaction was more a joke about the accuracy part.
                        meh. It'd be more of a joke if he said that about Troy or if we were already running a WCO based system. Alex was above 60% in a system that wasn't necessarily QB friendly.
                        Last edited by binary; 01-29-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• I have been saying that Alex would be the best option for 2011 because he'll be far cheaper to keep and require no trade compensation compared to McNabb, Palmer, Kolb, Johnson, Orton and Flynn. McNabb and Palmer have huge long term deals while Orton would be paid over $8m in 2011. Then, you add in a draft pick and it becomes way too expensive especially when the team could use that money to re-sign Lawson and hopefully sign a few free agents. Kolb, Johnson and Flynn would be cheap for 2011 but would still require a draft pick in compensation plus an extension. The only player I would go after would be Flynn but i do think that Harbaugh is going to go after Johnson for a late round draft pick because his value in Tampa is low and would be cheap to extend.

I think Harbaugh could be thinking the same thing that I am. He's thinking that 2011 will be a transition year in regards to the offensive/defensive scheme and with the tough schedule that we'll have (we play the AFC North and NFC East), I wouldnt be surprised to see Harbaugh stick with Alex for a year and go all out for Luck next year. If the team with the overall number one draft pick in 2012 already has a franchise QB, they would definitely trade the pick and as long as its not the Rams (which is unlikely), Cardinals or Seahawks, I think that we would have a good shot at Luck regardless of where we're drafting. Also, a few teams will draft a QB in the first this year and those teams can be eliminated to if they get the number one overall draft pick in 2012 because no team is going to draft a QB in the first round in back to back drafts.

Keeping Alex for one more year and going after players that we need to solidify other positions is in my opinion a much smarter idea. Use FA and this year's draft to solidify those other positions and then go all out for Luck next year. Plus, with the schedule, I wouldnt be surprised to see us go 6-10 or worse which to be honest is fine by me because the worst we are in 2011, the greater our chances are at getting Luck and having our franchise QB for the next decade plus and the best part is that unlike any other QB, Luck will be able to step right in and once he shakes the rust off, he'll be ready to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                            I have been saying that Alex would be the best option for 2011 because he'll be far cheaper to keep and require no trade compensation compared to McNabb, Palmer, Kolb, Johnson, Orton and Flynn. McNabb and Palmer have huge long term deals while Orton would be paid over $8m in 2011. Then, you add in a draft pick and it becomes way too expensive especially when the team could use that money to re-sign Lawson and hopefully sign a few free agents. Kolb, Johnson and Flynn would be cheap for 2011 but would still require a draft pick in compensation plus an extension. The only player I would go after would be Flynn but i do think that Harbaugh is going to go after Johnson for a late round draft pick because his value in Tampa is low and would be cheap to extend.

I think Harbaugh could be thinking the same thing that I am. He's thinking that 2011 will be a transition year in regards to the offensive/defensive scheme and with the tough schedule that we'll have (we play the AFC North and NFC East), I wouldnt be surprised to see Harbaugh stick with Alex for a year and go all out for Luck next year. If the team with the overall number one draft pick in 2012 already has a franchise QB, they would definitely trade the pick and as long as its not the Rams (which is unlikely), Cardinals or Seahawks, I think that we would have a good shot at Luck regardless of where we're drafting. Also, a few teams will draft a QB in the first this year and those teams can be eliminated to if they get the number one overall draft pick in 2012 because no team is going to draft a QB in the first round in back to back drafts.

Keeping Alex for one more year and going after players that we need to solidify other positions is in my opinion a much smarter idea. Use FA and this year's draft to solidify those other positions and then go all out for Luck next year. Plus, with the schedule, I wouldnt be surprised to see us go 6-10 or worse which to be honest is fine by me because the worst we are in 2011, the greater our chances are at getting Luck and having our franchise QB for the next decade plus and the best part is that unlike any other QB, Luck will be able to step right in and once he shakes the rust off, he'll be ready to go.
                            No I was pretty sure a Mcnabb T.O. westbrook reunion was your idea.
                            Originally posted by 49erNation85
                            I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Dan it doesn't make any sense going after Luck .We NEED a QB NOW!! .I can't any more loosing season.And that article was all Pr talk like Ness.I really doubt even Alex wants to stick around for another season in SF.I would see JH get his guy now in the DRAFT keep Smith as a possible back or Carr. I do like these QB's still Ponder , Stanzi and Dalton . All of them we can get round two.No need to have any more loosing season.I'm tired of them !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                                Dan it doesn't make any sense going after Luck .We NEED a QB NOW!! .I can't any more loosing season.And that article was all Pr talk like Ness.I really doubt even Alex wants to stick around for another season in SF.I would see JH get his guy now in the DRAFT keep Smith as a possible back or Carr. I do like these QB's still Ponder , Stanzi and Dalton . All of them we can get round two.No need to have any more loosing season.I'm tired of them !!
                                Alex won't come back as a backup, heck he won't come back as a starter either because he hates our fanbase as much as they hate him. Basically, if we don't make a trade for Palmer/Kolb/Orton we're screwed regardless, unless a guy like Ponder or Dalton can tear it up in his rookie year (yeah right).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information