This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
    Well this is gonna be another year of bad QB's .I just don't see us winning games I dunno .After watching the senior bowl the only QB to really stand out in the game was Ponder on the south team.He would fit great in our system with his decision making and accuracy .You don't really need powerful arm strength like some people make thing just get the ball to the WR .He also looked pretty mobile as well.Von Miller also stood out on Defense too.It will be interesting come April.Can't wait for the draft.
    Why do you place so much stock into all-star prospects games? Ponder is ken Dorsey, I can tell you that. I'm not one to ***** the arm strength skill but man does he have a noodle. He's also very fragile, injury prone type. He's nothing more than a backup at the next level.

Pat Devlin, however, is probably the best fit for a short, timing pass attack that Harbaugh is going to run next year. He can be had in round 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
      I hate to sound like a broken record but Alex is likely going to be the best option we have this year if we want to win now. I think that Harbaugh realizes that.
      Except we wouldn't be winning, we'd be losing with Alex. As we have been since 2005.

And I don't see how he'd be the best option. He's a free agent. There are other players that will be available via free agency, trade, or even the draft. Not to mention Alex Smith may not even want to come back here. He may feel a change of scenery is in his best interest.
      Last edited by Ness; 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Here's my biggest concern with Alex Smith coming back as our starter next year... If he struggles early on people are going to start calling for the rookie to start (whoever that is) and I dont think that ANY QB in this draft should start a game for us this season. I think they should all sit atleast a year. I think it would be a mistake to thrust them into the line-up mid-season or earlier.

If we bring in a veteran QB for a couple seasons I could see the fan base being more patient with that decision and letting the rookie sit and learn than they would be if we send Alex out there again and we stink it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          I have been saying that Alex would be the best option for 2011 because he'll be far cheaper to keep and require no trade compensation compared to McNabb, Palmer, Kolb, Johnson, Orton and Flynn. McNabb and Palmer have huge long term deals while Orton would be paid over $8m in 2011. Then, you add in a draft pick and it becomes way too expensive especially when the team could use that money to re-sign Lawson and hopefully sign a few free agents. Kolb, Johnson and Flynn would be cheap for 2011 but would still require a draft pick in compensation plus an extension. The only player I would go after would be Flynn but i do think that Harbaugh is going to go after Johnson for a late round draft pick because his value in Tampa is low and would be cheap to extend.

I think Harbaugh could be thinking the same thing that I am. He's thinking that 2011 will be a transition year in regards to the offensive/defensive scheme and with the tough schedule that we'll have (we play the AFC North and NFC East), I wouldnt be surprised to see Harbaugh stick with Alex for a year and go all out for Luck next year. If the team with the overall number one draft pick in 2012 already has a franchise QB, they would definitely trade the pick and as long as its not the Rams (which is unlikely), Cardinals or Seahawks, I think that we would have a good shot at Luck regardless of where we're drafting. Also, a few teams will draft a QB in the first this year and those teams can be eliminated to if they get the number one overall draft pick in 2012 because no team is going to draft a QB in the first round in back to back drafts.

Keeping Alex for one more year and going after players that we need to solidify other positions is in my opinion a much smarter idea. Use FA and this year's draft to solidify those other positions and then go all out for Luck next year. Plus, with the schedule, I wouldnt be surprised to see us go 6-10 or worse which to be honest is fine by me because the worst we are in 2011, the greater our chances are at getting Luck and having our franchise QB for the next decade plus and the best part is that unlike any other QB, Luck will be able to step right in and once he shakes the rust off, he'll be ready to go.
          I agree with it providing ALex Smith radically restructures his contract, way too much $ based on past performance. Harbaugh is very much aware of this & is playing it close to the vest now.

If Smith does stay w/ no other FAs brought in, it's pretty safe to say it will be his final yr. as a starter anywhere in the NFL.

Sr. Bowl is done, only Kaepernick raised himself above the other QBs there but the jury is still out on whether he's top tier & 1st rd. worthy. And he has some baseball offers too from what I read. Wait until after the Combine to see if any QBs are draftworthy this April, so far Locker hasn't wowed anyone yet either.
          Last edited by LizardState; 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
            Sr. Bowl is done, only Kaepernick raised himself above the other QBs there but the jury is still out on whether he's top tier & 1st rd. worthy. And he has some baseball offers too from what I read. Wait until after the Combine to see if any QBs are draftworthy this April, so far Locker has hasn't wowed anyone yet either.
            Kaepernick will be lucky to go in the third.

He didn't look better than the other QBs at the game.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Dan, we're not getting Luck next year. Let it go.
              The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                Except we wouldn't be winning, we'd be losing with Alex. As we have been since 2005.

And I don't see how he'd be the best option. He's a free agent. There are other players that will be available via free agency, trade, or even the draft. Not to mention Alex Smith may not even want to come back here. He may feel a change of scenery is in his best interest.
                And none of those players is a better option than Smith. McNabb and Palmer are no better than him but will be much more expensive, Kolb is an unknown and (from what we have seen) likely worse than Smith, and there are no rookies that look like they are going to be starting this year. Who else is there available? Vince Young or Leinart? Orton maybe but he probably won't come cheap.

Here's my biggest concern with Alex Smith coming back as our starter next year... If he struggles early on people are going to start calling for the rookie to start (whoever that is) and I dont think that ANY QB in this draft should start a game for us this season. I think they should all sit atleast a year. I think it would be a mistake to thrust them into the line-up mid-season or earlier.

If we bring in a veteran QB for a couple seasons I could see the fan base being more patient with that decision and letting the rookie sit and learn than they would be if we send Alex out there again and we stink it up.
                Maybe the fans might be a little more patient with a different QB, but I think if Alex is signed to a 1-year contract and it is made clear than he is just temporary the difference wouldn't be much.

I agree with it providing ALex Smith radically restructures his contract, way too much $ based on past performance. Harbaugh is very much aware of this & is playing it close to the vest now.

If Smith does stay w/ no other FAs brought in, it's pretty safe to say it will be his final yr. as a starter anywhere in the NFL.
                Smith is a free agent right now, how much he gets will depend on how much of a demand there is for him. There will probably be a few teams interested in bringing him in compete for the job and a lot more that wouldn't mind him as a backup. But if we tell him that he is the starter until the rookie is ready to take over I could see him staying. He is a smart guy and realizes that this would be a great place to audition. Pretty good team around him, coach that is known as an offensive guru, and a weak division. Not many other places are going to be better stages than that.
                Last edited by abaddon41_80; 01-30-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                  There will probably be a few teams interested in bringing him in compete for the job and a lot more that wouldn't mind him as a backup.
                  how is going to a team that wants him and offering a fresh start not more appealing than staying where people don't want him around and see him as a one year solution?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
                    how is going to a team that wants him and offering a fresh start not more appealing than staying where people don't want him around and see him as a one year solution?
                    It isn't but read the rest of what I wrote. That is why I think he might stay. Besides, he is a tough guy and I don't think he really cares about what the fans do or say
                    Last edited by abaddon41_80; 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                      Dan, we're not getting Luck next year. Let it go.
                      Can you tell the sky not to be blue while you're at it.
                      Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I dunno even half of those guys why did we sign them jeez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                        Can you tell the sky not to be blue while you're at it.
                        Sure. Right after I inform water that it is no longer wet.
                        The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Menardo75 View Post
                          No I was pretty sure a Mcnabb T.O. westbrook reunion was your idea.
                          That was my fantasy idea. I would still keep Westbrook for another year and while I would love to see T.O. return since he's my favorite player, I dont think that either will happen. As for McNabb, if he was a UFA, he would have been a possibility but since he's not, he isnt any more. FA/Trade market wise, there's no one there who's worth trading for and bringing in. Draft wise, it looks like 2005 all over again so instead of making the same mistake again, skip QB and wait until next year. To me, looking at all the options, keeping Alex for one more season as the starter and drafting a QB next year is the best option because acquiring a 30+ year old veteran will just be a stopgap just like Alex but the only difference is that the veteran will be getting paid a hell of a lot more, be under contract for a few seasons and require trade compensation. Realistically, why spend money on an aging veteran QB when hopefully, that money could be used on at least two free agents and Lawson? I would play percentages and the best percentage is to keep Alex for one more year and go all out for Luck. And yeah, if a team can give up an entire draft for Ricky Williams, I dont see why we shouldnt do the same for Luck especially when you look at the positives and negatives in doing that.

Originally posted by Tebowfan85 View Post
                          Dan it doesn't make any sense going after Luck .We NEED a QB NOW!! .I can't any more loosing season.And that article was all Pr talk like Ness.I really doubt even Alex wants to stick around for another season in SF.I would see JH get his guy now in the DRAFT keep Smith as a possible back or Carr. I do like these QB's still Ponder , Stanzi and Dalton . All of them we can get round two.No need to have any more loosing season.I'm tired of them !!
                          I agree. We do NEED a QB NOW!!! There's just one problem. 2011 is looking like 2005 all over again and personally, instead of repeating what happened in 2005, I would do the opposite. Concentrate on other positions that are also big needs and solidify them. To me, 2011 is going to be a transition year for the offense and defense so instead of trying to insert a new QB who'll most likely struggle (especially if he's a rookie), keep who we have and just wait for next year for Luck. Honestly, I think once Luck went back to Stanford, I think Harbaugh kind of made up his mind. Think about it - like I said, its going to be a transition year for everyone so why not wait for Luck next year and then be a playoff contender and should be division winner in 2012 especially when after 2011, the chemistry should be there especially if there's changes in the secondary and whatnot. Go back to 2005, I didnt want Alex or Aaron and didnt have either on my top five list. Going back to 2005, my top five was WR Edwards, CB's Rolle/Rogers and OT's Barron/Brown. You have to wonder what would have happened if we just stayed with Rattay/Dorsey/Pickett for 2005 and draft a QB in 2006. Rodgers turned out better than the six QB's that were drafted in 2005 and 2006 but Cutler would be second in my opinion and it would have been a possibility to get Cutler but no VD. To me, 2011 is exactly the same as 2005. Luck himself makes next year's QB class better than this year's and that right there tells me to do the smart thing which is concentrate on solidifying the other positions and waiting for Luck next year. Add in a possible short off-season and keeping Alex makes the most sense short term and especially long term.

Originally posted by binary View Post
                          Alex won't come back as a backup, heck he won't come back as a starter either because he hates our fanbase as much as they hate him. Basically, if we don't make a trade for Palmer/Kolb/Orton we're screwed regardless, unless a guy like Ponder or Dalton can tear it up in his rookie year (yeah right).
                          I would rather pay Smith to stay for a year. Palmer is way too much money. Kolb isnt much if any better and Orton would cost $8m plus an extension. I wouldnt do that because why waste money that way when you could use that money on players who'll help us in the short and long term. Only QB I would go after would be Packers Matt Flynn but I dont see GB trading him so it doesnt matter. Draft wise, UGH.

Comment

• As for Luck, thats your problem guys. Always looking to settle instead of making a major move and trade for the guy you really want. I dont see us going better than 6-10 in 2011 especially after looking at our opponents so being in position to get Luck is a definite possibility. Add in trading away the entire draft for him and the only thing that prevents that from happening is if the Rams, Cardinals or Seahawks end up with the number one overall draft pick.

Instead of drafting a QB in the mid-rounds waiting for his ass to develop in a transition year which could also include a very short off-season to prepare or acquiring an aging old hugely expensive veteran QB that'll just have to be replaced within three years anyway makes even less sense than me going all out for Luck next year and if you guys actually think about it, you'll see that im right unless of course, you guys want to repeat 2005 all over again and go through the same crap for the next five years and another head coach.

But hey, to each his/her own.

Comment

As for Luck, thats your problem guys. Always looking to settle instead of making a major move and trade for the guy you really want. I dont see us going better than 6-10 in 2011 especially after looking at our opponents so being in position to get Luck is a definite possibility. Add in trading away the entire draft for him and the only thing that prevents that from happening is if the Rams, Cardinals or Seahawks end up with the number one overall draft pick.

Instead of drafting a QB in the mid-rounds waiting for his ass to develop in a transition year which could also include a very short off-season to prepare or acquiring an aging old hugely expensive veteran QB that'll just have to be replaced within three years anyway makes even less sense than me going all out for Luck next year and if you guys actually think about it, you'll see that im right unless of course, you guys want to repeat 2005 all over again and go through the same crap for the next five years and another head coach.

Is that what you propose?
                              Originally posted by Babylon
                              It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

As for Luck, thats your problem guys. Always looking to settle instead of making a major move and trade for the guy you really want. I dont see us going better than 6-10 in 2011 especially after looking at our opponents so being in position to get Luck is a definite possibility. Add in trading away the entire draft for him and the only thing that prevents that from happening is if the Rams, Cardinals or Seahawks end up with the number one overall draft pick.

Yeah, we'll only go 6-11, so why the **** not just mortgage our franchise' future on a guy who could return to school again next year! That's a brilliant idea. By the way, please find me a team who would even take the incalculable risk of planning their future around a guy who will be a junior the next season, entirely throwing out a season because, I mean, what's the point? Obviously, they aren't going to win any games. Just like Seattle this year wasn't supposed to win the division, or how Arizona didn't expect to win more than 8 games the two seasons prior.

Dan, we're not "settling", we're realists. If they take someone like Ponder in the second round, and he doesn't live up to unreal expectations and they go 6-11 anyway, what would it matter if they tried for Luck in the 2012 draft (assuming he is there)?

Originally posted by dan77733
                                if you guys actually think about it, you'll see that im right
                                Yeah, and maybe, while we're picking up the rest of the '04 Eagles, we can snag Michael Lewis (again) and Brian Dawkins and the zombie Jim Johnson to run our defense. Oh, and I hear Jon Runyan and Winston Justice would make some fine bookend tackles. Freddie Mitchell is probably looking for work, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information