This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
    No, I have a reason for hating on Alex Smith, he's not going to be successful in San Francisco and it's clear to everyone. It's time to cut ties and move on.
    I agree with that but if he can play at the level he has the past couple of seasons next year than he is a better option for next year than pretty much anyone else out there. I do not want to keep him after this year, I just want him for this year.

You're right, not many of those guys have given indication that they would be an improvement over Alex, but at least some of them (Gradkowski, Dixon, Volek) offer much more promise for next season than Alex Smith. He is a bust.
    Gradkowski and Dixon offer no more promise next season than Smith. Gradkowski is Alex Smith, in terms of inconsistency, except that his highs and lows are higher, and Dixon hasn't given any reason to believe he has potential. Volek could have more promise but there has to be a reason no team has gone after him as a starter before despite being in the league for 8 years.

Comment

here are all the 2011 QBs I would rather have than Alex Smith:

Drew Stanton (DET)
      Trent Edwards (JAC)
      Luke McCown (JAC)
      Brodie Croyle (KC)
      Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
      Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
      Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
      Dennis Dixon (PIT)
      Billy Volek (SD)
      You're out of your mind if you think any of those guys are/will be better than Alex Smith. Volek is good, but really has no long term upside at his age.

Kellen Clemens and Tyler Thigpen would be the only two I would even consider. I like Thigpen's game and I feel Clemens never got a fair shot in New York.

Alex Smith hasn't been that bad when healthy.

Comment

but at least some of them (Gradkowski, Dixon, Volek) offer much more promise for next season than Alex Smith.
        THAT is a freaking fail. Did this dude really say Dixon? LOL.

Comment

here are all the 2011 QBs I would rather have than Alex Smith:

Drew Stanton (DET)
          Trent Edwards (JAC)
          Luke McCown (JAC)
          Brodie Croyle (KC)
          Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
          Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
          Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
          Dennis Dixon (PIT)
          Billy Volek (SD)
          I'm the last guy to defend Alex, but this list is absurd and shows you're football knowledge is extremely lacking.

Stanton-All athlete, no instincts. He's a backup.
          Edwards- Most intriguing guy on your list. I'd like to see us offer him a deal to compete.
          McCown-Who are you, Jon Gruden? This guy is flat out terrible.
          Brodie Croyle-The same guy that couldn't pick up Todd Haley's offense, you want in here? Croyle is an INT and fumble machine. Get a grip.
          Thigpen-Equal to Alex I'd say.
          Clemens-Interesting, I'd be curious if we gave him a shot.
          Gradkowski-BWAAAHAHAHA. Yeah, let's get a poor man's Jeff Garcia in here. LMAO at this sh*t.
          Dixon-Nice backup option, but not better than Alex. Think Troy Smith, only slightly more accurate.
          Volek-He's an old man. I don't want Damon Huard, but that's just me.

You need to watch more football, kiddie.

Comment

• Originally posted by binary View Post
            The worst was Gradkowski. I'm no Alex fan, but I'm also unbiased and can see that a wannabe jeff Garcia douchebag like Gradkowski is a severe downgrade from Alex. Brent just doesn't know quarterback play, unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
              Oh that is just BS and a ridiculous bias for Alex Smith right there. Alex has never been consistently successful yet he's better than all the other potential available players. McNabb and Palmer are better than Alex Smith for the record. Even if it's marginal at this point, they're better. What evidence is there to definitively believe that Kolb is worse than Smith. Not that I want him, but there is no evidence to say that. If anything it's the other way around. Kyle Orton is better than Alex. If he's available for a third, I say the 49ers jump on it.
              You probably believe that CC Sabathia should have won the CY Young based on wins last season. QB wins are such a skewed stat that 49er fans love to stand behind for some reason. If it came down to wins Shaun Hill would still be the 49ers starting QB. Alex Smith posted an 11:3 TD/INT ratio in his final 7 games which is pretty solid number considering the lack of offensive creativity the 49ers had last season.

Considering the opitions on the market he has shown he has the ability to be a competent starting QB in a league that is lacking many.

Comment

• Originally posted by will99890 View Post
                You're out of your mind if you think any of those guys are/will be better than Alex Smith.
                No, I don't think they're better, but I'd rather watch them than ******* Alex Smith.

Originally posted by binary View Post
                Yes, I did. I stand by that. Again, I would rather watch him than Smith.

Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                I'm the last guy to defend Alex, but this list is absurd and shows you're football knowledge is extremely lacking.

You need to watch more football, kiddie.
                No, I watch plenty. Again, these are all people I would rather suit up for us than Alex Smith. I can't believe this many people are still defending that jackass.

Yes, let's all watch another season of him checking down to Gore, rolling right and throwing out of bounds, or just over throwing easy passes to wide open WRs. Hell, maybe he'll throw another incomplete and 'should have been caught'!

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

No, I don't think they're better, but I'd rather watch them than ******* Alex Smith.

No, I watch plenty. Again, these are all people I would rather suit up for us than Alex Smith. I can't believe this many people are still defending that jackass.

Yes, let's all watch another season of him checking down to Gore, rolling right and throwing out of bounds, or just over throwing easy passes to wide open WRs. Hell, maybe he'll throw another incomplete and 'should have been caught'!
                  So you would rather have worse quarterbacks because you don't like Smith?

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                    That is the standard we have reached for the past 2 seasons with Alex. I thought this Matt Barrows snippet from his blog was perfect in summing up the fans distaste of Alex:
                    http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...ugh-wants.html

But while Harbaugh may give Smith a clean slate, the 49ers fan base will not. That was evident during the season finale at Candlestick Park when a Smith incompletion triggered an avalanche of boos from the crowd. His passer rating at the time was 158.3 - perfect - and he would go on to lead his team to a 38-7 win over Arizona. It's gotten to the point that even when Smith wins, he loses.
                    Personally I would prefer for Alex to leave and I hope he chooses too. It is a strained relationship and he needs to go to a team that will give him clean slate and this team needs a fresh start. I still believe that a CBA will be reached in time for SF to trade a 3rd or 4th round pick for a QB to start while SF develops a QB.

Comment

You said Gradkowski the scrub offers more promise than Smith. That immediately makes your opinion on quarterbacks irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                        It's not that I don't like him.

I just don't believe he can or will be successful in the NFL. I don't know what about the last 5 years has you convinced of otherwise.

Comment

It's not that I don't like him.

I just don't believe he can or will be successful in the NFL. I don't know what about the last 5 years has you convinced of otherwise.
                          That doesn't answer his question.

Comment

• I am honestly amazed that we are entering another offseason thread arguing about Alex Smith. I thought for sure last season would have been the last one. Damn you Harbaugh, damn you.

Comment

• Originally posted by PatrickWillis View Post
                              That doesn't answer his question.
                              I don't agree with this question. I don't think it can get much worse at quarterback. I think we'd be better off with some of the people I listed. I don't really give a **** if you agree with me or not.

Comment

I don't agree with this question. I don't think it can get much worse at quarterback. I think we'd be better off with some of the people I listed. I don't really give a **** if you agree with me or not.
                                You've changed your stance about 4 times in this thread, guy.

1st) All these QB's are better than Alex!

2) I didn't say they were better. I just would rather watch them than Alex.

3)Gradkowski shows more promise than Alex

4) I just don't think Alex will be succesful(while completely ignoring the question and offering a pussball answer)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information