This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    Baas is a UFA. I seriously doubt that we'll be able to re-sign him and sign Kalil as an UFA. I figure if Kalil is looking for $2m or so more than Baas, I would much rather sign Kalil who's 26 and let Baas who's 30 leave. I would keep Heitmann since he has one year left on his contract and he's a good veteran backup. No point in looking for a replacement for him.

Not only that but if Mankins hits the open market, would definitely go after him too. Imagine Staley at LT, Iupati at LG, Kalil at C, Mankins at RG and Davis at RT. That would be a top five OL once they get used to each other and the chemistry is there.
    With that kind of money and high draft picks invested in the O-Line, I would hope they would be better than Top 5...more like the best in the NFL. I like Staley but he's missed significant time 2 years in a row now and he needs to play full seasons for this unit to achieve greatness.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
    Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

• Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
      With that kind of money and high draft picks invested in the O-Line, I would hope they would be better than Top 5...more like the best in the NFL. I like Staley but he's missed significant time 2 years in a row now and he needs to play full seasons for this unit to achieve greatness.

I see zero chance that Mankins signs with a team to play RG.He's a LG, and top 5 at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by edgrenade View Post
        The Niners have never believed in paying a premium for gaurds
        If they dont want to see Davis become Kwame Harris, they should. If Mankins hits the market, they need to make sure that they go after him because a Pro Bowl veteran like him will be able to help Davis A LOT which to me should be the second top priority on offense after QB. We cant afford to see Davis flop and Rachal sucks and is only going to make things worse for him instead of better. Hopefully, Baalke and Harbaugh will see and realize this while watching tape of Davis and Rachal.

Originally posted by Madirishman View Post
        I wouldnt say the best because Davis still has a way to go but adding a proven veteran like Mankins would help him greatly. I agree about Staley though.

Originally posted by Kaybra View Post
        I see zero chance that Mankins signs with a team to play RG.He's a LG, and top 5 at that.
        If he gets the contract he wants, im pretty sure he would move to RG if its part of the deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
          If he gets the contract he wants, im pretty sure he would move to RG if its part of the deal.
          it's not about him moving, it's about that being a natural position for him. there is a significant change in moving to the opposite side of the line.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
            I admit I did not remember the game against the Falcons. Still, one game does not mean he is better when most of the time he has looked worse or equal to Alex from the past two years.
            I get the feeling no matter how many examples I give you you're going to dismiss them as too small of a sample size. I'm just saying that game against the Falcons that Kolb had, Alex never ever had in his career.

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
            Again, Leinart's rookie year was worse than Alex's second year and since then he has played like ass while Alex has been okay. Take out the 3 games he played with a separated shoulder in 2007 and he has 10 more touchdowns than picks and an 82 QB rating. That is decent.
            That's your opinion. I think Alex has been complete garbage since his second season. Bum shoulder or not.

No one thinks he is a good QB, most just think he is out best option. McNabb and Palmer may have once been a lot better than Alex but last year Alex was almost as good as Palmer and way better than McNabb. There is no reason to believe that Palmer will regain his pre-2007 form where he was much better than Alex so there is no reason to pay much more for him and McNabb just looked awful last year and there is no reason to believe that he will bounce back.
            There isn't really any reason to believe Alex will ever be better than mediocre. I'm just saying I'd rather take my chances with a has-been than a never-was.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
            Originally posted by Borat
            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
              it's not about him moving, it's about that being a natural position for him. there is a significant change in moving to the opposite side of the line.
              True but are there any veteran RG's available who are just as good as Mankins who are potential UFA's because if not, I still think that Mankins would be the best option and while it would take him a season to adjust to RG, he's still easily a HUGE upgrade over Rachal.

I wouldnt sign him if he didnt want to play RG or if he didnt think that he would be as good but if he thinks that he could be just as good at RG as he is at LG or is confident that he could make a smooth transition to RG, I wouldnt hesitate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                I get the feeling no matter how many examples I give you you're going to dismiss them as too small of a sample size. I'm just saying that game against the Falcons that Kolb had, Alex never ever had in his career.
                There aren't any other examples of Kolb being better than Alex ever has.

That's your opinion. I think Alex has been complete garbage since his second season. Bum shoulder or not.
                You would be wrong if you think he has been complete garbage, and it isn't an opinion. He has been anywhere from mediocre to decent, depending on who you ask.

There isn't really any reason to believe Alex will ever be better than mediocre. I'm just saying I'd rather take my chances with a has-been than a never-was.
                Alex has been mediocre the last two years with Singletary and Raye running the show. Even if he only slightly improves with Harbaugh as the HC then he will be better than pretty much every other option.

Comment

There aren't any other examples of Kolb being better than Alex ever has.
                  Sure there are. I just don't think you'll accept them. The game against us at home is another example. Or the game last season against the Chiefs. The fact he's had one game better than Alex ever had in his second season in limited starts should tell you something. While Smith has had six years and never had a game like Kolb did against Atlanta.

You would be wrong if you think he has been complete garbage, and it isn't an opinion. He has been anywhere from mediocre to decent, depending on who you ask.
                  You just contradicted yourself in your own response.

You saying I'm wrong is still your opinion. And that's a fact. Sorry.

Alex has been mediocre the last two years with Singletary and Raye running the show. Even if he only slightly improves with Harbaugh as the HC then he will be better than pretty much every other option.
                  What does your speculative opinion on how Alex's future may play out have to do with my opinion on taking a has-been over a never-was?

Comment

• Kolb was a 4th rd. pick by the Eagles in a draft when they were stupid enough to trade away all their picks before that.

And he plays like one too. He's garbage. A poor man's Cassel.

The Kolb pick restored my faith in Reid's & the Eagles idiocy. I just really hate those guys.
                    Last edited by LizardState; 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• With the slim pickins this yr for o-linemen, be glad they drafted Iupati & Davis last yr. They had to get experience sometime, even OJT experience.

Having said that, I would love to have James Carpenter from my Crimson Tide in the 2nd rd. as a replacement for Chilo, who is worthless. he's like the 3rd or 4th best OT, but would be right up on the top tier as an OG. And if baas moves to center they will need a new OG
                      Last edited by LizardState; 01-31-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• It isn't an issue of Heitmann's age, but his neck injury. If it doesn't turn out well, Baas could return to the squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          Sure there are. I just don't think you'll accept them. The game against us at home is another example. Or the game last season against the Chiefs. The fact he's had one game better than Alex ever had in his second season in limited starts should tell you something. While Smith has had six years and never had a game like Kolb did against Atlanta.
                          Kolb was not better against us than Smith has ever been, not even close. Against the Chiefs last year it is arguable but I watched that game and Kolb did not play that great. He threw maybe 5 passes more than 10 yards downfield and watched his receivers do the work. You also seem to be comparing them straight up. Kolb is coached by Andy Reid/Marty Mornhinweg, one of the greatest offensive combos of this generation, and throws to Desean Jackson. Smith has been coached by Mike Singletary/Jimmy Raye the last two years and throws to Michael Crabtree. Clearly it is fair to compare them apples to apples.

Smith has not played for 6 years, he has only played in 5 years and has started 50 games (about 3 years). You clearly don't care about that though.

You just contradicted yourself in your own response.

You saying I'm wrong is still your opinion. And that's a fact. Sorry.
                          No you are wrong and that is not my opinion. No one could possibly say that Alex Smith has been garbage the last two years, unless your definition of garbage is just wrong. Or do you think Carson Palmer has been garbage the past two years? They have virtually a identical completion %, yards/attempt, TD %, INT %, and QB rating. I fail to see how I contradicted myself as well.

What does your speculative opinion on how Alex's future may play out have to do with my opinion on taking a has-been over a never-was?
                          I was responding to your idea that there is no reason to believe Alex can be better than mediocre, because there is.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                            Kolb was a 4th rd. pick by the Eagles in a draft when they were stupid enough to trade away all their picks before that.

And he plays like one too. He's garbage. A poor man's Cassel.

The Kolb pick restored my faith in Reid's & the Eagles idiocy. I just really hate those guys.
                            Err, he was a 2nd round pick. 36 overall, almost a 1st rounder. I'm not a huge fan of Kolb's but Andy Reid and the Eagles do have a pretty good track record over the last 10 years so I see why people would be intrigued. Besides maybe New England and Pittsburgh there's not an organization in the league better at replacing players than Philadelphia and Kolb was their pick.

About David Baas, I think it's almost a certainty he'll be back unless they decide to go after Ryan Kalil which I doubt. Would be a ridiculous amount of money invested in the offensive line. I thought Baas played well enough this year, just need a Chilo Rachal upgrade, a more consistent Anthony Davis, and we should be fine.

Comment

Kolb was not better against us than Smith has ever been, not even close. Against the Chiefs last year it is arguable but I watched that game and Kolb did not play that great. He threw maybe 5 passes more than 10 yards downfield and watched his receivers do the work. You also seem to be comparing them straight up. Kolb is coached by Andy Reid/Marty Mornhinweg, one of the greatest offensive combos of this generation, and throws to Desean Jackson. Smith has been coached by Mike Singletary/Jimmy Raye the last two years and throws to Michael Crabtree. Clearly it is fair to compare them apples to apples.

Smith has not played for 6 years, he has only played in 5 years and has started 50 games (about 3 years). You clearly don't care about that though.
                              That's like saying Joe Montana or Steve Young was garbage because Jerry Rice took a ten yard slant to the house. Oops? The quarterback still has to throw the ball and put his targets in position to make those plays. Let's also cement those guys as frauds because they played in a good system under a good coach. Heath Shuler should get a pass as a bust because he never had a legitimate coordinator to work with. Mike Singletary should still be coach because he didn't have good players and it wasn't his fault for the decision making he did. More excuses. Oy. Even if you want to calculate all the BS and say Smith has played three years, he still hasn't looked good on a consistent level against good teams. But of course you'll going to pull out the Nolan, Singletary, bad-oline, bad receivers, any excuse you can use except Smith's own fault-card. Smith hasn't been put in a good situation, but at the same time he takes a good amount of the blame for playing terrible.

No you are wrong and that is not my opinion. No one could possibly say that Alex Smith has been garbage the last two years, unless your definition of garbage is just wrong. Or do you think Carson Palmer has been garbage the past two years? They have virtually a identical completion %, yards/attempt, TD %, INT %, and QB rating. I fail to see how I contradicted myself as well.
                              You really don't know what an opinion is do you? I just said it. How can it be impossible if I just said it? If I said Warren Moon was terrible and had a ****** career it would still be an opinion. Most may not agree, but it's still an opinion never-the-less. Literally.

And for you to act like everyone shares your same opinion as gospel is just ridiculously stupid. Just because someone doesn't agree with it means their opinion isn't an opinion and that yours is factual? In a sport that has so many variables? Really? You're really going to run with that strawman stance? By your logic everyone that says that Alex Smith is garbage/terrible (and there are a lot) is factually wrong just because you say so...in the sport of football...right...

As for failing to see how you screwed up:

You're saying that he's been mediocre to decent...depending on who you ask (which is giving an opinion) yet I can't have an opinion that he's garbage. Only the ones that say he's been mediocre to decent are truth...even though it's an opinion. Mmmkayyy...

As for Palmer, he's not a king certainly...one could even call him garbage, but I just don't think he smells as bad as Smith.

I was responding to your idea that there is no reason to believe Alex can be better than mediocre, because there is.
                              Again, what does this have to do with my preference of taking a has-been over a never-was? I'm telling you something I prefer. What in the world are you trying to argue with me about? It's like your trying to change my mind or something LOL.
                              Last edited by Ness; 01-31-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Smith may not be great but you cant blame him for how the coaching staff or management has mishandled and misused him since the day he was drafted. Compared to all the UFA's that Brent listed a few pages ago, Smith is easily better. The only potential starting QB that I wouldnt mind SF trading for would be Packers Matt Flynn. Other than him, I would only try to trade for Buccaneers backup Josh Johnson as the third stringer. And I would keep Carr as the veteran backup.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information