This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
    Never said that the Young and Montana comparison was off-topic; once again you clearly don't actually read what I post. I said that the comparison was stupid. I said the rest of what you posted was off-topic.
    You didn't specify what exactly I wrote you considered "off-topic". You just said "all this other" crap which could mean either or. Don't blame me for your inability to be concise. Regardless your logic with Kolb doesn't really make sense. Throwing short passes in a game and your receivers making a play is nitpicking in my mind. The quarterback still has to throw an accurate pass and get his playmakers in position to make a play. Montana and Young did this for years.

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
    He has been hear for 6 years but he has only started 50 games. That is not an excuse, it is a fact.
    And after six years he hasn't panned out. Even if you wanted to say that he's only started 50 games we haven't seen a lot of, if any, promise that he'd be the megastar quarterback we thought he would be.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I did not say they weren't. I did say that opinions can be wrong.
    But what we're talking about in regards to Alex's performances here is subjective. So for you to criticize my opinion and say that it isn't an opinion in the first place is ridiculous and I'm "wrong" doesn't make sense.

And I do think that most people who actually watched him play, or even went back to just look at his numbers, and who don't hate him would say that Alex has been mediocre to decent since 2009.
    A lot of people watched him play on gamedays. Whether it was at the stadium on the main board, whatever...you could tell they had a disdain for his performances. And I highly doubt it's because they personally hate him as a person. Most people would be hate his performances on the gridiron, but not him as a person.

It is not an opinion. Any unbiased observer would rate Smith from mediocre to decent the last two years. Only someone with an irrational dislike of him, like yourself, would say that he has been garbage.
    How is it not an opinion? Even if someone has a bias positive or negative anything we say about Alex Smith or practically any football player and performances on the field is an opinion. Your last statement was an opinion. How was it fact? Just as this statement I'm quoting is a fact. If you don't believe it's an opinion (which is absurd) you're still giving your own opinion right now, that it's not an opinion.

But you said you would rather have him than Smith. That means you would rather pay a lot more for someone who you consider garbage instead of paying a lot less for someone who is basically the same. That makes no sense unless you just don't like Alex Smith.
    Yes I would rather have him. Doesn't mean I'd want his contract. And they're not the same player. I think I said that already or implied it. In any case, he wouldn't be my first option to bring here because of his salary, but I'd still rather have him over Alex if money wasn't in the way.

I did.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...32490&page=322

I responded to the article posted that started all this, you quoted me and began this argument that you see no point in.
    Then why did you ask?

I said I saw no point in the argument?
    Last edited by Ness; 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
      You didn't specify what exactly I wrote you considered "off-topic". You just said "all this other" crap which could mean either or. Don't blame me for your inability to be concise. Regardless your logic with Kolb doesn't really make sense. Throwing short passes in a game and your receivers making a play is nitpicking in my mind. The quarterback still has to throw an accurate pass and get his playmakers in position to make a play. Montana and Young did this for years.
      Exactly why the Kolb comparison is awful.

I responded to your point on Montana and Young and then said "all this other crap" is off-topic. Not hard to figure out that I met all the other crap that I did not respond to was off-topic

And after six years he hasn't panned out. Even if you wanted to say that he's only started 50 games we haven't seen a lot of, if any, promise that he'd be the megastar quarterback we thought he would be.
      No one is saying he is going to be a megastar because no one believes that. But he has shown the ability to be a decent stopgap until we find that QB.

But what we're talking about in regards to Alex's performances here is subjective. So for you to criticize my opinion and say that it isn't an opinion in the first place is ridiculous and I'm "wrong" doesn't make sense.
      Your opinion is an opinion, but it is wrong. I don't see what is hard to understand about that.

A lot of people watched him play on gamedays. Whether it was at the stadium on the main board, whatever...you could tell they had a disdain for his performances. And I highly doubt it's because they personally hate him as a person. Most people would be hate his performances on the gridiron, but not him as a person.
      Are you kidding me? People clearly hate him for no reason. Look at the game against the Cardinals this year. He threw 1 incomplete pass, and at the time his passer rating was 158.3, and he got booed. We won that game 38-7 and he was getting booed every time he threw an incomplete pass.

How is it not an opinion? Even if someone has a bias positive or negative anything we say about Alex Smith or practically any football player and performances on the field is an opinion. Your last statement was an opinion. How was it fact? Just as this statement I'm quoting is a fact. If you don't believe it's an opinion (which is absurd) you're still giving your own opinion right now, that it's not an opinion.
      An opinion becomes a fact if the majority of people accept it as one. The majority of unbiased, rational and intelligent football observers would agree that Alex has ranged from mediocre to decent the last two years. That makes it a fact, or as close to one as something can get.

Yes I would rather have him. Doesn't mean I'd want his contract. And they're not the same player. I think I said that already or implied it. In any case, he wouldn't be my first option to bring here because of his salary, but I'd still rather have him over Alex if money wasn't in the way.
      So if the money is in the way, like it probably would be, would you still rather have Palmer? And how are they not almost the same player when their numbers for the last two years are almost identical?

I said I saw no point in the argument?
      Not your exact works but

What in the world are you trying to argue with me about?
      What were you driving at with this comment if not that you thought there was no reason for this argument?
      Last edited by abaddon41_80; 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• He's more a middle of the 1st value but I have grown to love Justin Houston from Georgia. I think the guy is just a beast and would take him over any other 3-4 rush linebacker in the draft at this point. He was just a terror for SEC teams all year coming off the edge. He needs a little more polish in some of his moves but has a crazy first step and is relentless.

And I also agree with the talk of good value at cornerback and rush linebacker in the 2nd. Whatever one we take in the 1st, we should have a good shot at the other in the 2nd.

Also something quick, ThePudge mentioned he thought Cameron Heyward would be a top 11 pick and be in serious consideration for our pick. I know he's not officially an expert or anything but his draft work is always really good. Anyway, I hated it at first but was thinking about it and it has kind of grown on me. He'd be perfect for our defense and our defensive line would be insanely good. Still too high for him probably since he didn't have a great year but just a thought.

edit: I don't think we'll take either, just a thought though.
        Last edited by Arsenal; 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
          I think replacing Chilo with.....well anybody and having a head coach that is smart enough to actually leave a tight end to block or chip on 3rd down will be enough to help Davis. Like Mankins but no point paying that much money for a RG. Cut Chilo, start Snyder, and draft a guard in round 3 or 4.
          Agreed but dont forget, Snyder is a UFA in 2012 and will be 30 when that happens. Extending him would have to be done before starting him at RG. I wouldnt cut Chilo because he's only going to make $644,000 in 2011 according to rotoworld.com and will most likely be allowed to leave as an UFA in 2012 which is what I would do because if some team gives him a monster deal which is possible and we dont really sign anyone next year to replace him, our compensation pick in 2013 could be as high as a third rounder even though a fourth rounder is more likely. Plus, since Wragge and Sims are UFA's this off-season, I would just keep Rachal for one more season. Agree with drafting an OG.

Comment

• LMFAO! Dan, did you just say some team might give Rachal a monster deal? That is beyond absurd.
            The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

• Regarding OLB, I would re-sign Lawson and go after Hali if he hits the open market. Hali, Lawson, Haralson and Brooks. There ya go.

CB wise, Clements contract is ******* insane. He's scheduled to earn $34.97m over the next three seasons as his contract can be voided out after the seventh year of the contract (2013). If he was to stay for his eight season (2014), he would make $15.48m.

Quite honestly, im more concerned about CB than I am with OLB because at least Haralson and Brooks are both 27 where as Clements is 31 and Spencer will be 29. Lawson will be 27 in July. My plan would be this - if panthers CB Richard Marshall hits UFA, I sign him to a 5yr/$35m deal which is barely more than what Clements is going to get the next three seasons. The difference is that Marshall would be under contract for five seasons, just turned 26 in December and is in his prime and has a far bigger upside than Clements does right now. After signing Marshall, I release Clements the next day if I cant trade him for a late round draft pick which considering his contract is highly unlikely.

Draft wise, at 7, if Peterson/Prince is there, I draft him in that order to be our franchise CB with Marshall starting opposite him. I then release Spencer the next day if I cant trade him for a late round draft pick which is possible since he'll get paid $3.1m in 2011 and $3.2m in 2012 and there's no guaranteed money left which means no cap hit whatsoever.

If both Peterson/Prince are gone at 7, I draft Locker or trade down if possible. Of course, if we acquire a QB for a third rounder, then I wouldnt draft Locker or any QB for that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Borat View Post
                LMFAO! Dan, did you just say some team might give Rachal a monster deal? That is beyond absurd.
                I agree but as we all know, while 31 teams can say no, it only takes one team to say yes and considering the Bills signed OG Derrick Dockery to a 7yr/$49m deal years ago, I honestly wouldnt be surprised if some team did sign Rachal to a huge deal especially if they're in need of an OG and no one better is available. And at 26 next March, he'll be in his prime age wise, so I wouldnt be surprised if that happened but hey, better for us if it does and even if it doesnt, no biggie. Would still keep him for 2011 unless I can get at least a 4th rounder for him which is unlikely. Second reason why I would keep him is for depth just in case injuries pile up. Wouldnt want to put a rookie in there to replace Iupati/Snyder and who knows if we keep Wragge and/or Sims.

Comment

• And while I highly doubt that this will happen but if Peterson/Prince are gone by 7 but someway somehow A.J. Green is still on the board.....would anyone here be opposed to drafting him?

Granted, it would be a luxury pick and not a need but after seeing highlights of him yesterday, can you imagine him, Crabtree and Davis? My God.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    And while I highly doubt that this will happen but if Peterson/Prince are gone by 7 but someway somehow A.J. Green is still on the board.....would anyone here be opposed to drafting him?

Granted, it would be a luxury pick and not a need but after seeing highlights of him yesterday, can you imagine him, Crabtree and Davis? My God.
                    I wouldnt be opposed if we couldnt trade down and both corners were out of the equation. Im starting to see us getting Jones from mocks. i think thats absurd but I mean if thats a scenario where theres no pass rushers or DB's, and we cant trade down then why not i guess take Green.
                    San Francisco 49ers: 5 Super Bowls
                    Auburn Tigers: 2 National Championships

Comment

• I'm done going in circles about this. You don't even have to reply abaddon41_80 to what I just typed or answer the questions. I won't respond back. I'd delete it if I could, but I don't think I can?

EDIT: Fixed post.

In any case, you think Alex Smith would be a good stop gap here, and I don't. Agree to disagree. I'm moving on.

But just for kicks, if Harbaugh keeps Smith and turns his career around, I will eat crow. You can take that to the bank. I trust Harbaugh at this point in time.
                      Last edited by Ness; 02-02-2011, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• What do you guys think of Tyrod Taylor as a late round pick?

Comment

What do you guys think of Tyrod Taylor as a late round pick?
                          I think we could get him after the draft if we wanted to. The only project/athletic QBs worth a crap in this draft are Kaepernick and Newton, and I wouldn't spend anything more than a 4th on Kaepernick.
                          Last edited by binary; 02-02-2011, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                            He's more a middle of the 1st value but I have grown to love Justin Houston from Georgia. I think the guy is just a beast and would take him over any other 3-4 rush linebacker in the draft at this point. He was just a terror for SEC teams all year coming off the edge. He needs a little more polish in some of his moves but has a crazy first step and is relentless.
                            Houston's first step is insane, freaking insane, he doesn't have many moves but neither does Quinn from what I've seen. Smith seems to have the most moves, quickness, and versatility. Quinn seems to have the most strength and plays with the most leverage, but doesn't have the burst or quickness of the other two. Call me crazy but I'm least impressed by Quinn, I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert though. I wonder if Houston's first step won't be as explosive while standing up, that'll be something the niners will be looking at.

Admittedly, most of the stuff I've watched on these guys has been via youtube, so take it with a grain of salt....just wondering if others are seeing the same things.

BTW, the film of Ponder when he was healthy looks like he could be a first rounder, I don't even know if he'll be there for our 2nd anymore.

Comment

What do you guys think of Tyrod Taylor as a late round pick?
                              I don't like him at all. I would rather have Greg McElroy.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Pro Football Focus all NFC West team. Look who their right guard is:
                                Chilo Rachal (San Francisco 49ers)

Completing the sweep of 49er interior defensive linemen, Rachal (who was our highest rated right guard with his run blocking) has emerged as one of the league’s better guards.
                                Some responses off their twitter feed twitter.com/profootbalfocus
                                We graded Rachal pretty well in 2010 (7th best OG in NFL), Davis comfortably 9ers lowest graded O-lineman
                                Rachal was v good run blocker, but was slightly below avg as pass protector. Makes him look worse than he was
                                In response to a question on how Chilo graded out so well
                                V good in straight in-line run blocking, won his battles at the point of attack, helped open holes.
                                Never thought I would hear Chilo Rachal and top ten guard in the same sentence.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information