This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    QB wise, I would acquire TWO QB's via trade once FA starts. I would trade a 3rd to GB for Flynn because if he wants to be a starter, it sure as hell isnt going to be in GB unless Rodgers gets hurt and a 5th for Johnson. With both being 25 or so, I sign them to five year extensions after trading for them because even if they flop, they'll both be cheap and the cap hit (if the cap returns) would be small to nothing anyway.
    Doubt Flynn goes for a 3rd. His arm strength only makes him a fit for a West Offfense style of team so there will be a limited number of teams in the market for him. Also you would basically, because I would assume SF would still draft a QB, give up 3 picks in this draft for 3 QBs and 2 five-year extensions on top of that? That is overkill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one FA QB and then draft two.
      Was about to post the same thing. If Harbaugh's draft reports from the 2002 draft class are any indication. I could see him taking a Ponder/Dalton high and then following it up with a project pick in round 5 or 6 that he can either develop with no pressure as a QB3 or stash him on the PS.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
        Was about to post the same thing. If Harbaugh's draft reports from the 2002 draft class are any indication. I could see him taking a Ponder/Dalton high and then following it up with a project pick in round 5 or 6 that he can either develop with no pressure as a QB3 or stash him on the PS.
        I would guess the same, but I think 6th or 7th would be more likely. Ponder in the second and Yates in the 7th?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

The reason we've been a running team is because we havent had a good or better QB since Garcia and second, all Sing and Nolan wanted to ever do was play power ball so even if Alex could have been good or better, you would have never even know it. I'm hoping that Harbaugh wants to pass more, be more aggressive, go down the field and score more points because 13 or whatever the hell it is a game isnt going to cut it. Not only that, but Gore needs to stop being abused. He's awesome but I dont want him getting injured every season especially since he's getting older and dont want to have to depend on him alone for offense becuse thats not going to always work. I also prefer us using the pass to setup the run instead of the other way around.
          Harbaugh ran a very physical style of offense at Stanford. His passing concepts are certianly more complex than what Jimmy Raye had installed, which will put us in better positions. But if you think the mentallity of running the football first will die because we fired Singletary and hired Harbaugh, I think you're setting yourself up for a let down.
          Originally posted by Babylon
          It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one FA QB and then draft two.
            That's the same thing. If we draft two QB's, thats the same as trading for two QB's. As for signing a FA, who?? There's no one there to sign. Only Hasselbeck but his price has gone up somewhat and I wouldnt pay it. I would just keep Carr for 2011 and let him leave in 2012 as an UFA.

Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
            Doubt Flynn goes for a 3rd. His arm strength only makes him a fit for a West Offfense style of team so there will be a limited number of teams in the market for him. Also you would basically, because I would assume SF would still draft a QB, give up 3 picks in this draft for 3 QBs and 2 five-year extensions on top of that? That is overkill.
            Wait a minute..............you think Flynn would cost more tha just a 3rd rounder? If the Eagles are looking for a 2nd and a 3rd for Kolb, there's no way Flynn is worth more than a 3rd because he only played in the one game against NE. I just like Flynn better and unlike Kolb, keeps his mouth shut and doenst have a history of concussions which is a main reason why I would stay away from Kolb. And I watched the NE game, Flynn played better than anyone expected and dont be fooled, he can gun the ball when he has too.

Dont forget, if im trading for Flynn and Johnson, why on earth would I draft a QB period? When you think about it, I basically just drafted two since im giving up a 3rd and a 5th for Flynn and Johnson respectively. They already have experience, have been around for a few seasons and will be cheaper than Kolb in trade compensation and contract extension. Johnson will be 26 in May and Flynn will be 26 in June. A four year extension since they're under contract for 2011 would mean that both would be turning 31 during the off-season in which their contracts expire.

Johnson will be fairly cheap, maybe $2-$3m ayear at most if that. Flynn would probably be around $5m a year but thats not bad at all when you think about it plus if Harbaugh signs a veteran FA and drafts one or two QB's, the veteran is going to be the stopgap until the rookie is ready but who knows how long that could take. By the time the drafted rookie is ready, majority of our core will be at or past 30 and be UFA's. I would rather trade for Flynn and Johnson with Flynn as the starter, Carr as the veteran backup and Johnson as the third stringer who would become the backup in 2012.

Originally posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
            Isnt that the same thing as trading a 3rd and a 5th for Flynn and Johnson? And would the rookie even start? What happens if the rookie needs a few seasons to develop? And trading for a veteran like McNabb or Palmer would be stupid because when you look at their salary, you could easily extend Flynn and Johnson for the same price.

I see the draft this year as what it was in 2005 and we all know how that worked out so personally, I wouldnt even look at QB in the draft. I trade for two QB's who have experience in the WCO and in Johnson's case, played for Harbaugh in college. Flynn may have to learn some stuff but the basics are there and thats what matters most.

Comment

That's the same thing. If we draft two QB's, thats the same as trading for two QB's. As for signing a FA, who?? There's no one there to sign. Only Hasselbeck but his price has gone up somewhat and I wouldnt pay it. I would just keep Carr for 2011 and let him leave in 2012 as an UFA.
              Isn't Bruce Gradkowski a free agent? I'll definitely take my chances with him over David Carr.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
              Originally posted by Borat
              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

I would guess the same, but I think 6th or 7th would be more likely. Ponder in the second and Yates in the 7th?
                Rather keep my first and second rounders, trade a 3rd for Flynn and a 5th for Johnson. Drafting a QB in the 7th means that he'll most likely be on the PS or be gone entirely. I just see this year as being 2005 all over again and while we could always come away with the next Rodgers, I just dont like the odds for us. Besides, if im going to use a draft pick or two on a QB, I would much rather acquire a QB who isnt a rookie yet is young enough to still be the potential franchise QB.

Originally posted by king2am View Post
                Harbaugh ran a very physical style of offense at Stanford. His passing concepts are certianly more complex than what Jimmy Raye had installed, which will put us in better positions. But if you think the mentallity of running the football first will die because we fired Singletary and hired Harbaugh, I think you're setting yourself up for a let down.
                I dont have a problem with running the ball but I dont want them to be dependent on it. I want them to pass more. It's a passing league and running running running isnt going to cut it anymore and im sick of watching it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                  Isn't Bruce Gradkowski a free agent? I'll definitely take my chances with him over David Carr.
                  I dont know if he is or not but he just turned 28 and may still want to be a starter and unless Harbaugh thinks he can be for the long term, I wouldnt bother because Carr's not a threat and just there as backup depth. Even though Carr would be the veteran backup, chances are Johnson would play before him if Flynn was to get injured. Unless Harbaugh thinks that Gradkowski can be our franchise QB and not just a stopgap, I just dont see the point.

Comment

David Carr can **** off.

Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    Isnt that the same thing as trading a 3rd and a 5th for Flynn and Johnson? And would the rookie even start? What happens if the rookie needs a few seasons to develop?
                    Well, those are hypothetical questions. If they draft someone they want to start as a rookie, so be it. FA is after the draft this year.

Originally posted by Ness View Post
                    Yeah, David Carr should never do more than hold a clipboard.

Comment

David Carr can **** off.

Well, those are hypothetical questions. If they draft someone they want to start as a rookie, so be it. FA is after the draft this year.

Yeah, David Carr should never do more than hold a clipboard.
                      Agreed but I wouldnt replace Carr with another veteran especially if its just for one season. Only way would be if that veteran would take the veteran minimum.

True but I dont see that happening. I dont think a rookie would start unless he's drafted in the first round. As for FA, I still think it will happen before the Draft. It may be delayed by a week or two but I honestly think that a deal will get done by March 4th because there's way too much money at stake. What they really need to do is eliminate that 18-game regular season because it makes no sense because how can Goodell or anyone else care about player safety yet they want the players to play two more regular season games? Makes no sense whatsoever. They should keep the regular season as is and still make pre-season only two games with every team playing one home and one away game. I also think that they should replace the Hall of Fame game with the Pro Bowl. It would be better since its an exhibition game anyway.

Comment

I dont have a problem with running the ball but I dont want them to be dependent on it. I want them to pass more. It's a passing league and running running running isnt going to cut it anymore and im sick of watching it.
                        But we will be dependent on it Dan. Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis were not drafted for their pass blocking. Frank Gore is a downhill physical runner. Vernon Davis is one of the best blocking TEs in the game. Harbaugh sees this group and they fit very well for what he likes to do on offense.

Do I think we have prolific weapons? I think Vernon is the best out there, Crabtree still hasn't reached his full potential, Morgan can certainly move the chains and surprise some teams, Delanie Walker is a mismatch, etc.

But we don't have a QB to make it all tick. Josh Johnson or Matt Flynn would not dramatically change the style of football that Harbaugh's offense is built for, or the fact that we have run oriented personnel on offense. Whoever the quarterback is next year, whether its one that can't start on his current team, or a rookie they will absolutely be dependent on the running game.
                        Originally posted by Babylon
                        It's called Karma for all the years with Montana and Young.

Comment

• I feel like we're going to be like the Browns were this year once Colt McCoy was starting.

Comment

I feel like we're going to be like the Browns were this year once Colt McCoy was starting.
                            Uggggh. That would be sad.

Comment

I dont know if he is or not but he just turned 28 and may still want to be a starter and unless Harbaugh thinks he can be for the long term, I wouldnt bother because Carr's not a threat and just there as backup depth. Even though Carr would be the veteran backup, chances are Johnson would play before him if Flynn was to get injured. Unless Harbaugh thinks that Gradkowski can be our franchise QB and not just a stopgap, I just dont see the point.
                              Gradkowski is going to take any opportunity he can get. He's not exactly in high demand. Everyone that competes is going to want to be a starter. Gradkowski has bounced around a few teams so he'll have a chip on his shoulder. But the better he plays, the better chance he has of staying. No one is going to "hand" him a starting job. If he's thinking that he should just retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                                Uggggh. That would be sad.
                                sadly, it would still be better than this past season

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information