This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
    If the Rams dont pick up Atogwe's $8m option by next Monday, he'll become an UFA which means that he'll be able to sign a contract before the start of UFA actually begins. Hopefully, if that happens, we'll sign him the same day and can let Goldson walk.
    Why go after Atogwe? Goldson had a down year but he was hurt for a majority of it. Goldson is a RFA and will be easy to retain. No point investing money in a position that is already filled.

Dan Pompei thinks Matt Flynn could be traded for as much as a 2nd.
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-8249.html
    The Packers might be able to get a second round pick in a trade for Flynn.
    Seeing this sorta makes me wanna root for the CBA to get completed after the draft just so it drives down the price for a QB.

Comment

• A second round selection for Matt Flynn? That's highway robbery.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
      -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
      Originally posted by Borat
      Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• A.J. Feeley tought the League a lesson... I hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by phlysac View Post
          A.J. Feeley tought the League a lesson... I hope.
          Yeah, I wouldn't give more than a 5th for Flynn.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

• Dashon Goldson is interesting. He would be a bargain if he returns to his 2009 form but if he plays like last year, we're going to need an upgrade. I agree that I would rather re-sign Goldson then get Atogwe at this point. Atogwe just seems rather unnecessary. I'd hate to see Goldson go somewhere else and be successful.

Besides according to Maiocco, Harbaugh's staff graded Goldson high. So expect him back.

S - Dashon Goldson: He recorded just one interception and one sack but the coaching staff graded him out a lot higher than his stats would suggest. He's their best safety, and he should be back -- depending on the system in place.
            http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/11/11/M...23&feedID=5936

And yes, I agree that I don't get the Matt Flynn love at all either. Caleb Hanie looked good in one game too and we don't see a lovefest over him.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure guys we will go after either Ponder, Dalton or Mallet if they are ready for second round pick for us.April is so far away ugh.

Comment

• My top 7 prospect at pick #7 for our 49ers.

1) Patrick Peterson
                2) A.J. Green
                3) Robert Quinn
                4) Prince Amukamara
                5) Marcell Dareus
                6) Cameron Jordon
                7) Nick Fairley

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsenal View Post
                  Dashon Goldson is interesting. He would be a bargain if he returns to his 2009 form but if he plays like last year, we're going to need an upgrade. I agree that I would rather re-sign Goldson then get Atogwe at this point. Atogwe just seems rather unnecessary. I'd hate to see Goldson go somewhere else and be successful.

Besides according to Maiocco, Harbaugh's staff graded Goldson high. So expect him back.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/01/11/11/M...23&feedID=5936

And yes, I agree that I don't get the Matt Flynn love at all either. Caleb Hanie looked good in one game too and we don't see a lovefest over him.
                  Not to nitpick but i'm not sure that's Harbaugh's staff that graded Goldson so highly..the article was written January 11, Harbaugh was only hired January 7th, and Fangio wasn't even DC yet. I wouldn't mind keeping him around for depth at least though, couldn't hurt.
                  Last edited by 49ersfan_87; 02-13-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
                    Not to nitpick but i'm not sure that's Harbaugh's staff that graded Goldson so highly..the article was written January 11, Harbaugh was only hired January 7th, and Fangio wasn't even DC yet. I wouldn't mind keeping him around for depth at least though, couldn't hurt.
                    Thanks, you are correct my bad. I think the main problem Dashon Goldson has is the clashing styles of him, Michael Lewis, Taylor Mays, etc. He is a pretty big ballhawk too at free safety so when paired with guys like Lewis and Mays who can't cover worth a lick, it hurt him a lot. Since he had such a poor year, we might be able to get him at a bargain price. Not advocating breaking the bank for him if someone else really wants him still.

Comment

• Its amazing how everyone here is always the opposite. Last June, nearly everyone here was hoping for Atogwe and now, its the opposite. Even at 29, Atogwe is far better than Goldson and if Goldson is looking for $5m+ a season, Atogwe would be cheaper. Atogwe received $4.1m for 2010 including a $2m signing bonus. There's no way the Rams are going to exercise his $8m option so he'll be an UFA. He would be cheaper than Goldson, is a far better playmaker and would add veteran experience to the secondary especially with Mays playing opposite him at SS. Also, Goldson went to Stanford. *hint hint*

Its also funny that back in the summer when I wanted to see Goldson get extended, everyone was against it. Now, its the opposite. Its amazing.

Comment

Its amazing how everyone here is always the opposite. Last June, nearly everyone here was hoping for Atogwe and now, its the opposite. Even at 29, Atogwe is far better than Goldson and if Goldson is looking for $5m+ a season, Atogwe would be cheaper. Atogwe received $4.1m for 2010 including a $2m signing bonus. There's no way the Rams are going to exercise his $8m option so he'll be an UFA. He would be cheaper than Goldson, is a far better playmaker and would add veteran experience to the secondary especially with Mays playing opposite him at SS. Also, Goldson went to Stanford. *hint hint*

Its also funny that back in the summer when I wanted to see Goldson get extended, everyone was against it. Now, its the opposite. Its amazing.
                        I don't want Goldson, still. You still want to extend him? Because isn't that what you wanted a while back?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                        -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                        Originally posted by Borat
                        Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ness View Post
                          I don't want Goldson, still. You still want to extend him? Because isn't that what you wanted a while back?
                          I did last summer after the Rams re-signed Atogwe. But he wasnt and since he regressed in 2010, I wouldnt extend or re-sign him. If he's stuck with us for 2011 as an RFA (depending on the next CBA), then I would obviously keep him at a low tender but otherwise, nope. I would let him walk especially if Atogwe becomes an UFA in eight days and we sign him which we should. Atogwe is a veteran playmaking FS who would help our secondary. Plus, him leaving the Rams would hurt their secondary which is a plus for us. Also, he would be cheaper than Goldson. Also, Atogwe played at Stanford. Wonder if Harbaugh and Fangio will look at tapes of him if he becomes an UFA in eight days.

Comment

• I'm not down for a WR at #7, nope. Give me a passrusher or a CB, luckily for us there should be a good one available there.

Flynn for anything more than a 5th would be an embarrassment.

Keith Smart is a dumf___k, oh yeah wrong board.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaybra View Post
                              My top 7 prospect at pick #7 for our 49ers.

1) Patrick Peterson
                              2) A.J. Green
                              3) Robert Quinn
                              4) Prince Amukamara
                              5) Marcell Dareus
                              6) Cameron Jordon
                              7) Nick Fairley
                              Jordan is local, Cal player....... just saying.

Comment

Its amazing how everyone here is always the opposite. Last June, nearly everyone here was hoping for Atogwe and now, its the opposite. Even at 29, Atogwe is far better than Goldson and if Goldson is looking for $5m+ a season, Atogwe would be cheaper. Atogwe received $4.1m for 2010 including a $2m signing bonus. There's no way the Rams are going to exercise his $8m option so he'll be an UFA. He would be cheaper than Goldson, is a far better playmaker and would add veteran experience to the secondary especially with Mays playing opposite him at SS. Also, Goldson went to Stanford. *hint hint*

Goldson was born in Carson, California but he graduated to Washington, not Stanford. *hint hint*. Just like Mays, Goldson was a divisional foe of Harbaugh and Stanford, but he's propbabley seen a good amount of tape on both of them, compared to many other NFL players.

People on this board were against extending Goldson at the reported price tag of $7 mil a year after having only one productive season. There were also the Sing-Atogwe ties, which made it stronger for him to be on the team. OJ battled injuries last year, but he's still a better safety than Goldson IMO. He is 29 soon though, and if you're looking at a long term deal, age is more of a factor with OJ than it is with Dashon. Plus, with the CBA issues, Goldson will be significantly easier to sign over the newt few weeks as their would likely be a bidding war for Atogwe should he hit the market....and the 49ers don't know if, and when, that will be.

Also, Atogwe would command larger salary than Goldson; definitely not $2 mil less.

#thestruggleisreal with Tomsula in as HC after the "Harbacle"
                                Operation Pile Up Draft Picks for Re-Build: In progress, with much work to be done

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information